Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by brian »

I have no idea where the hell I’ll be but I know I’m going to have to plan around it depending. Ideally won’t be out on the road.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am I'm debating going to my Mom's where they'll have the full eclipse, but most likely I'll just stay here where we have 94%. Both kid's schools are doing something so that's neat for them.
I'd go to your mom's if at all possible, unless the weather looks unfavorable.

People say that the difference between even 98% and 100% is like night and day. (Sorry.)
Word.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 pm I think I mentioned I’m going to Cleveland for the eclipse, which is in the 100% zone. I’ve been monitoring the weather, and it went from rain in the am to partly cloudy in the am. Hopefully it’ll be clear in the mid-afternoon.
If you look at the historical weather records for April 8 in Cleveland, it's cloudy something like 70 percent of the time.

Where will you be staying while in town?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This dude's voiceover for Heavy Rescue 401 put me into gigglefits when I was high as fuck.

The cadence of what he's saying plus the accent just kills me.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That show's been on for 10 years? Incredible.
Canadian International
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Spring break reminder that USA is good for making money and other countries are good for everything else
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Look I love sand and the ocean and actual waves but I’d listen to what a lake guy had to say right now
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm not sure what I did to make Paige Beuckers videos of her dancing and doing silly stuff with friends apear all over my Instagram, but I'm not mad at it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:42 pm Look I love sand and the ocean and actual waves but I’d listen to what a lake guy had to say right now
Go to Lake Michigan, eastern shores, and get best of all of it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If you're the kind of guy who feels comfortable yelling at his wife and cussing at the top of his voice in a nice restaurant, maybe we shouldn't go to dinner together.

Really upsetting dinner with "friends" last night. This is a friend of my wife's whom I love and think is amazing and sweet and her husband who I've had my ups and downs with. Just not my cup of tea all the time, but we get along and laugh when we go out. So we went to dinner and he showed up looking tired and like he just didn't want to be there. Started kvetching that he had left his glasses home, so he couldn't read the menu and that his wife would have to order for him. My wife and I told him we would read him the menu and he refused. I handed him my phone so he could look at it online and again, he said he wife would order for him. She told him he could figure out his food and we ordered our apps and moved on. The waitress comes to take our dinner order and the ladies go first, then I order and then he looks at his wife and says "what did you order for me?". She told him that she hadn't and he snapped. I TOLD YOU I CAN'T READ THE FUCKING MENU. Loud at 7 pm in a nice place. With families having nice dinners. He hands the waitress the menu and says, "I'll have nothing". His wife condescendingly helps him pick out a salad and everything moved on.

But for real, what kind of a little bitch does that? This is a 50+ year old man. He wasn't drunk. He was tired and had a long day and probably didn't want to be at dinner. But who talks to their wife like that? My wife and I fight, like every couple, but never in public. If he's like that in public, what's he like at home?

It really bothered my wife who grew up in an abusive home. It really bothered me.

Thanks for listening.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jesus, that's awful. "I'll have nothing." What a toddler.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yikes. How'd you manage the rest of the meal/evening after starting there?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Damn.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I have an eyeglass Rx and reading glasses. If I’m exhausted, my readers barely work. Basically, that guy’s eyes were shot, which obviously walled him off further than usual. Wifey didn’t help matters much at all, but then I think that was but a glimpse into a battle that’s been going on for some time.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Order for him? His bad eyesight affects his vocal chords?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

She should have ordered off the kids menu for him.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I can barely read menus anymore. But you know what I do? I deal with it.

Plus I have emergency readers on my keychain.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Funny. Not really the same thing, but...

We were invited down to Charleston to stay at our friends rented beach house last weekend. We all get along very well... this dude is my post-college best friend at this point and my wife and his wife are in the same boat.

But they were at the tail end of 2 weeks of vacation and we could tell they were getting frayed around the edges. And, inevitably, on the last night we are going out to dinner and you could just feel the tension. Sure enough, they start bickering and it's awkward. We know these guys so well at this point that a) we pretty easily steer the conversation away from the bickering and b) I pulled him aside while the girls used the facilities and told him to cut the shit.

We went back and watched the new set from Neal Brennan* on Netflix and had a great rest of the evening.

But, man, to bfj's point... Keep that shit to yourselves. I don't want to be a jerk about my buddy, but.. Grow up, man.

* - It might have been the pot and alcohol, but I REALLY liked his special.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm I have an eyeglass Rx and reading glasses. If I’m exhausted, my readers barely work. Basically, that guy’s eyes were shot, which obviously walled him off further than usual. Wifey didn’t help matters much at all, but then I think that was but a glimpse into a battle that’s been going on for some time.
Then he should have accepted the help that was offered. There’s no excusing him.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:57 pm Order for him? His bad eyesight affects his vocal chords?
No, his bad eyesight doesn’t affect his vocal cords, but it surely soured his disposition. Again, something she was aware of.

Like I said, this sounds like a two-way street.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm I have an eyeglass Rx and reading glasses. If I’m exhausted, my readers barely work. Basically, that guy’s eyes were shot, which obviously walled him off further than usual. Wifey didn’t help matters much at all, but then I think that was but a glimpse into a battle that’s been going on for some time.
Then he should have accepted the help that was offered. There’s no excusing him.
I mean, I don’t know him. His mistake was announcing to the table he’d left his glasses at home, cuz the last thing a tired, cranky sightless soul wants is help from the table about what’s on the menu. He’s clearly at fault.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:13 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:57 pm Order for him? His bad eyesight affects his vocal chords?
No, his bad eyesight doesn’t affect his vocal cords, but it surely soured his disposition. Again, something she was aware of.

Even if you bend over backwards to see his point of view, there’s no “two-way street” about his behaving in such a poor, loud, public way.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm

Even if you bend over backwards to see his point of view, there’s no “two-way street” about his behaving in such a poor, loud, public way.
Agree. We've all been whiny bitches with our wives at one point or another. But in a restaurant with other people there?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He could've zoomed in on the menu on his cell phone, but he'd rather try to exhibit some serious control issues because he has deep-seated insecurities and clearly needs therapy.

Like my cousin who on Saturday night decided to get blackout drunk in Scottsdale and with his other blacked out drunk friend decided to take a flag down from a storefront, parade around with it, and when confronted by the security folks across the street took off in a solid sprint screaming "FUCK YOU MOTHER FUCKERS" and disappeared into the night.

Once we found him, his also drunk girlfriend tried numerous times to calm him down and he slapped her in the face as she was holding her phone leading to her immediately breaking down crying and while copping to the fact that he's been like this in the past.

Suddenly I'm the subject of his ire and he's getting extremely aggressive with me saying "YOU FUCKING ABANDONED ME."

He still hasn't called to apologize. And the girlfriend is doing the classic "It's no big deal! I overshared some things because my emotions were high. He's been good for the last year. Honestly! Everything's fine!" game.

At this point I'm dumbfounded and want nothing to do with any of them ever again. He's 43. And I'm too old for this shit.

Sorry to one up you, BFJ.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jesus.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:32 pm If you're the kind of guy who feels comfortable yelling at his wife and cussing at the top of his voice in a nice restaurant, maybe we shouldn't go to dinner together.

Really upsetting dinner with "friends" last night. This is a friend of my wife's whom I love and think is amazing and sweet and her husband who I've had my ups and downs with. Just not my cup of tea all the time, but we get along and laugh when we go out. So we went to dinner and he showed up looking tired and like he just didn't want to be there. Started kvetching that he had left his glasses home, so he couldn't read the menu and that his wife would have to order for him. My wife and I told him we would read him the menu and he refused. I handed him my phone so he could look at it online and again, he said he wife would order for him. She told him he could figure out his food and we ordered our apps and moved on. The waitress comes to take our dinner order and the ladies go first, then I order and then he looks at his wife and says "what did you order for me?". She told him that she hadn't and he snapped. I TOLD YOU I CAN'T READ THE FUCKING MENU. Loud at 7 pm in a nice place. With families having nice dinners. He hands the waitress the menu and says, "I'll have nothing". His wife condescendingly helps him pick out a salad and everything moved on.

But for real, what kind of a little bitch does that? This is a 50+ year old man. He wasn't drunk. He was tired and had a long day and probably didn't want to be at dinner. But who talks to their wife like that? My wife and I fight, like every couple, but never in public. If he's like that in public, what's he like at home?

It really bothered my wife who grew up in an abusive home. It really bothered me.

Thanks for listening.
By the way bfj, you could suggest this product to him. I often forget where I put, or forget to bring along my reading glasses. They are very necessary for me (close readers of the swamp may recall that I am old). So my wife bought me these portable reading specs that sit on your nose. You attach a little case to your phone (or key ring), so you always have them handy (unless you lose or forget your phone).

link
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Y'all some really polite guys with this never in public stuff. Quite sure I used the words you don't know anyone here a couple months ago. I'm definitely the same dude in public as at home. Probably worse really cause some shit the kids don't need to hear. Bad enough already. My red line is in front of the kiddos.

Still embarrassment in front of friends and associates is a third rail that makes point I'm trying to make meaningless. So no I wouldn't do that at a dinner.

Johnnie you know what to do there.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I already said he was at fault. The two-way street comes from his wife's condescension. That's it. Yes, he's a verbally abuse cad, but she gets in her shots to keep the score (close to) even.

A marriage with all its warts on display in a restaurant.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:32 pmJohnnie you know what to do there.
Please don't say "Reach out to him and be the bigger man."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume he meant knock him the fuck out when he hit his girlfriend?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:37 pm

I already said he was at fault. The two-way street comes from his wife's condescension. That's it. Yes, he's a verbally abuse cad, but she gets in her shots to keep the score (close to) even.

She wasn’t condescending, but that’s hard to tell from what I wrote. It’s such a stupid request. It had nothing to do with what was on the menu, he was acting like a bitch and she just wasn’t playing along.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:09 pm I assume he meant knock him the fuck out when he hit his girlfriend?
That would make sense, but hear me out, I do not want to go to prison. She's making excuse after excuse for his behavior over text with me. I'm not risking prison over that.

I know my own strength and I've been to combat skills training before deployments. My job is to de-escalate until I cannot.

The only person I would ever go to prison for is my wife. Sorry not sorry.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:00 pm
At this point I'm dumbfounded and want nothing to do with any of them ever again. He's 43. And I'm too old for this shit.

Like I said
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:13 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:37 pm

She wasn’t condescending, but that’s hard to tell from what I wrote. It’s such a stupid request. It had nothing to do with what was on the menu, he was acting like a bitch and she just wasn’t playing along.
The fact it played out for everyone suggests the depth of their frustration.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:00 pm He could've zoomed in on the menu on his cell phone, but he'd rather try to exhibit some serious control issues because he has deep-seated insecurities and clearly needs therapy.

Like my cousin who on Saturday night decided to get blackout drunk in Scottsdale and with his other blacked out drunk friend decided to take a flag down from a storefront, parade around with it, and when confronted by the security folks across the street took off in a solid sprint screaming "FUCK YOU MOTHER FUCKERS" and disappeared into the night.

Once we found him, his also drunk girlfriend tried numerous times to calm him down and he slapped her in the face as she was holding her phone leading to her immediately breaking down crying and while copping to the fact that he's been like this in the past.

Suddenly I'm the subject of his ire and he's getting extremely aggressive with me saying "YOU FUCKING ABANDONED ME."

He still hasn't called to apologize. And the girlfriend is doing the classic "It's no big deal! I overshared some things because my emotions were high. He's been good for the last year. Honestly! Everything's fine!" game.

PTSD?
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:00 pm She should have ordered off the kids menu for him.
I love this so much.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:09 pm I assume he meant knock him the fuck out when he hit his girlfriend?
That's what I was assuming and would be my particular advice. And I speak from experience.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I had a couple buddies miss the Jeff Kent walk off the '04 NLCS when some random couple was with us started fighting and the guy shoved her. They immediately grabbed him and led him outside before delivering a few blows, then coming back inside to celebrate the HR they missed.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Incredibly awkward moment with a mid-20s bartender this weekend. Went up to order w/ my oldest who got a coke with grenadine.

Bartender: "You know that has a name? Its like Roger something I think. The other place I work has it by name in the system."
Me: [googles] "Huh. Roy Rogers."
Bartender: "No, Hooters."
Me: "I meant the drink name."

Next round I went to the other side of the bar.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I wanna go to THAT Roy Rogers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.