The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Kyle Kinane's new special just posted on YouTube, and its great:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I watched Dave Attell's Hot Cross Buns. It's exactly what you expect from Attell, which is the highest praise. He's an odd bird, but rapid fire jokes that all hit. Also watched Brian's Simpson's Netflix special, which I really enjoyed. He has an interesting voice as a former Marine and currently overweight stoner.

Decided to roll the dice an take the kids to a comedy club last weekend. Went to The Stand in NYC, which is 16+. Daughter is 15, but they didn't card the kids. Or us, for that matter. They did insist we not sit in the front two rows, to keep the kids out of crowd work range. I thought a 7:00 show MIGHT not be overly inappropriate, but man, the host Onika McLean was filthy! My son was loving it, my daughter decided before we got there that she wasn't going to like any of the comics and stuck to her guns.

I was excited, as there were several comedians on the bill that I'm familiar with. Kyle Dunnigan, Rich Vos, Bonnie MacFarland, and Mike Vecchione. First comic was Monroe Martin, who is young but has potential. Vecchione was good, but I felt like he took a dare to only do hacky material. He started with airport observation humor then moved into jury duty. He was funny, but the show went progressively downhill from there. MacFarland was ok, some good crowd work. Vos' prepared act was really bad. Right as I was thinking, "he seems like he doesn't want to be here," he responded to the yappy broad in the front row by going off on her for feeling entitled to talk to the comedians, then said, "Lady, I don't want to be here, just let me get through my set." Vos' crowd work was fun and he tore a few people to shreds. It was so mean it was close to being more awkward than funny, but I expected that from him. Dunnigan was painful to watch. Entire act was songs and a guitar, and the songs were uncomfortably unfunny. Pretty much silence from the crowd, hoping he would finish soon.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:40 pm I watched Dave Attell's Hot Cross Buns. It's exactly what you expect from Attell, which is the highest praise.
[+] spoiler
His joke about his mother in the shower had me struggling to breathe.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:40 pm I watched Dave Attell's Hot Cross Buns. It's exactly what you expect from Attell, which is the highest praise. He's an odd bird, but rapid fire jokes that all hit.
Just finished watching it....and it was great. He's such a pro.

Although...I'm sure its just a coincidence, but Mike Bridenstine also has a joke about having "resting January 6th face".
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Joe Pera tonight in Orlando.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 am Joe Pera tonight in Orlando.
I'd love to see him live. That's a show that you really hope people know who he is before going. OTOH, it'd be fun to watch people try to figure out if it's an act.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jelly (like nana used to make)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Watched the new Rory Scovell special last night on HBO. Very funny, but a very different kind of comedy than the Attel special I watched earlier in the day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:10 pm Watched the new Rory Scovell special last night on HBO. Very funny, but a very different kind of comedy than the Attel special I watched earlier in the day.
Thanks for the reminder, I like Rory. Jeselnik was raving about this special, and he doesn't hand out compliments easily.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:44 pm
Jelly (like nana used to make)
Joe was great. Exactly what you would expect from him, which is kind of funny because on the way over, my wife couldn't figure out what to expect, having only seen the show.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Watched Alex Edelman's special on HBO (Just for Us). I had never heard of him but I thought it was a unique (and great) stand up performance.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My God. This was incredible:

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is probably funnier because the cast couldn't hold character but still...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:02 pm This is probably funnier because the cast couldn't hold character but still...

I'm glad you posted this. Possibly one of the greatest breaking of character since the Debbie Downer at Disneyland with Lindsey Lohan. Heidi Gardner very rarely breaks which made this even funnier (to me.)

The question I have: I wonder if during Dress, maybe they didn't have the full make-up on, particularly for Butthead? Because otherwise, her reaction kind of doesn't make sense.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Apparently, Gosling was breaking all night long. Couldn't hold it together.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The last skit of the night he was pretty much giggling through the entire thing. I have a suspicion he might've been a little bit high at that point.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm going to have to watch the full episode, but the cold open from last night calls back to the same skit from 8 years ago where he couldn't hold it together at all, so he might be hamming it up.

Adam Driver he is not.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Watched the episode and the writing was as lame as it's been all season, but the fact that Ryan Gosling was having so much fun kind of saved things.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 pm I'm going to have to watch the full episode, but the cold open from last night calls back to the same skit from 8 years ago where he couldn't hold it together at all, so he might be hamming it up.

Adam Driver he is not.
(He's wearing the same jacket, and instead of just letting it be a funny call back, they have him mention it.. To Pru's point, pretty lame writing... Let those that are in on that have their moment. Also, they need to stop bringing those iconic skits back... They aren't hitting. They did that with Timberlake and Fallon doing the Barry Gibbs Talk Show and it was REALLY flat.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:52 am
Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 pm I'm going to have to watch the full episode, but the cold open from last night calls back to the same skit from 8 years ago where he couldn't hold it together at all, so he might be hamming it up.

Adam Driver he is not.
(He's wearing the same jacket, and instead of just letting it be a funny call back, they have him mention it.. To Pru's point, pretty lame writing... Let those that are in on that have their moment. Also, they need to stop bringing those iconic skits back... They aren't hitting. They did that with Timberlake and Fallon doing the Barry Gibbs Talk Show and it was REALLY flat.)
I saw a couple clips from the Kristen Wiig episode, and found it very odd that they threw in Will Forte doing his PTSD War Vet character thrown. It was just bizarre, as it was a skit with a retirement party and every said weird shit. Then at the end Forte grabs the mic, says, "I don't know you, but..." then goes off on that character's crazy riff. Just felt like desperately grasping at straws.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That was a very weird skit, which I kind of liked.

They've been doing a lot of stuff with former cast members. Which is nice, but also feels like a bit of slap in the face to the existing cast.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am That was a very weird skit, which I kind of liked.

They've been doing a lot of stuff with former cast members. Which is nice, but also feels like a bit of slap in the face to the existing cast.
I thought it was weird that Wiig is a 5-time host. As a former longtime cast member, it seems like cheating to lean on them as a host. I like bringing someone back as a onetime tribute years after they left, especially if they are doing something like a big movie. But 5 times? and they brought in a ton of big names for the 5-time Club monologue bit, which is fine. But then most of those cameos appeared in additional skits. Especially at a time where they have an enormous cast.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:32 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am That was a very weird skit, which I kind of liked.

I thought it was weird that Wiig is a 5-time host. As a former longtime cast member, it seems like cheating to lean on them as a host. I like bringing someone back as a onetime tribute years after they left, especially if they are doing something like a big movie. But 5 times? and they brought in a ton of big names for the 5-time Club monologue bit, which is fine. But then most of those cameos appeared in additional skits. Especially at a time where they have an enormous cast.
Chase, Murray, Fey, Ferrell, Mullaney are all at least 5 timers as well.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Baldwin has hosted 17 times?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's incredible. But you can see why a guy that lives in NYC and has amazing comedy chops.. and who has been around for 30 years... is going to rack up the numbers.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

They are going to have to have a cull after the season. Keenan Thompson must look around and wonder what is going on.
Canadian International
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm

They are going to have to have a cull after the season. Keenan Thompson must look around and wonder what is going on.
The keep talking about who will take over when Lorne calls it quits. Keenan's name constantly gets mentioned as someone who can do it. But you don't want to be the person who follows the legend. You want to be the person after that. Keenan's run is beyond Ripken-esque. Even 1st ballot HOFers only make it 7 years.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

The keep talking about who will take over when Lorne calls it quits. Keenan's name constantly gets mentioned as someone who can do it. But you don't want to be the person who follows the legend. You want to be the person after that. Keenan's run is beyond Ripken-esque. Even 1st ballot HOFers only make it 7 years.
1st ballot hall of famers leave to make big money. I think there is something wrong with anyone who stays longer than that. It's like a kid who graduates high school and still sticks around.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

1st ballot hall of famers leave to make big money. I think there is something wrong with anyone who stays longer than that. It's like a kid who graduates high school and still sticks around.
That's why I think it'll be him to replaces Lorne. I get the thought that you want to be the guy that comes in after the successor fails, but I'm guessing he's being groomed for this job and they don't want to risk completely losing the fans with an outside person coming in (even though I guess it could just as easily be someone else behind the scenes we don't know). I think they'd want the buzz behind Lorne handing it off to Keenan.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd guess Fey or Poehler gets Lorne's seat.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm I'd guess Fey or Poehler gets Lorne's seat.
That'll work too.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm I'd guess Fey or Poehler gets Lorne's seat.
That'll work too.
That'd be the best choices, but I can't imagine either of them doing it. They both have kids.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Keenan Thompson has been on TV doing comedy stuff since he was a kid on All That. He's beyond legendary at this point.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The question, and I really have no idea, is how much writing/show running Keenan is doing. Being a legend/HOF (which he obviously is) doesn't mean he's involved with the HIGHLY orchestrated machine that Lorne handles.

I'd throw Mulaney (they'd have to bring him back) and Jost into the mix of those that are more on the management side of things (agree wholeheartedly that kids aside, Fey and Poehler fall into this category.)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Guys, women are allowed to have kids and a job now. The kids are all teenagers at this point.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 pm 1st ballot hall of famers leave to make big money. I think there is something wrong with anyone who stays longer than that. It's like a kid who graduates high school and still sticks around.
Alright, alright, alright...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 pm Guys, women are allowed to have kids and a job now. The kids are all teenagers at this point.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian