WNBA Draft

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: WNBA Draft

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 am she just might prefer the awkward banter to your open mouthed stare
I've been frightening college-aged women for generations.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"So ... uh ... how come you don't do dunk shots?"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I guess people can quit complaining about Caitlin Clark’s WNBA salary now.

(She just signed $28 million deal with Nike.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If she plays in the W the way she played in college that is gonna be a steal for Nike.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm If she plays in the W the way she played in college that is gonna be a steal for Nike.
My thoughts exactly.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm If she plays in the W the way she played in college that is gonna be a steal for Nike.
There seems to be some resentment of her among the old guard WNBA players, so it appears she’s really going to have to earn it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 pm
There seems to be some resentment of her among the old guard WNBA players, so it appears she’s really going to have to earn it.
Oldheads gunna oldhead. What does she have to 'earn' exactly?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I get it. Its not her fault, but I get the resentment.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:50 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 pm
Oldheads gunna oldhead. What does she have to 'earn' exactly?
She is gonna have to take a few hard fouls, carry some bags, buy a team dinner a few times. Horrible horrible stuff.

But I think it would be hilarious if the first time she played Taurasi she hunted her and just plowed right into her at full speed.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm I get it. Its not her fault, but I get the resentment.
Same. If you’re someone like A’ja Wilson or Breanna Stewart (and I’m using them generally - tmk neither of them has said anything about Clark) and you’re arguably the greatest woman basketballer on the planet but making $500,000 a year WITH endorsements if you’re lucky to have the media hype about Clark come in where she had a million in NIL money before even getting to the W has to be a little off-putting maybe.

But hopefully a rising tide lifts all boats.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No idea how $28 million is a steal for Nike. Lets check back on this in 3 years. Just dont see the WNBA going places.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:03 pm No idea how $28 million is a steal for Nike. Lets check back on this in 3 years. Just dont see the WNBA going places.
It's an 8 year deal. AAV isn't that great, especially if she does turn out to be a star. If not, the next contract doesn't arrive and Nike loses. But you can probably make the argument they'll get their value in the early parts of the deal.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's all fair.

I guess whenever I hear some oldhead chirping about shit like this it immediately snaps me back to my first base where I was derided and told 'I didn't have to be bribed to defend my country' because I got a $6k enlistment bonus.

I was further mocked as part of the 'PlayStation Generation' (because Millennial hadn't been coined yet) and told I was spoiled because they upped the quality of living in the dorms on base.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:03 pm No idea how $28 million is a steal for Nike. Lets check back on this in 3 years. Just dont see the WNBA going places.
Even before Clark attendance and ratings were way up. Las Vegas, for example, sold out every game this year and is moving several to T-Mobile (18,000 seats).

Most games Indiana plays are being moved to larger arenas in other WNBA markets. The WNBA was already on the up but this might really provide a bigger boost.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The algorithm listens

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Dream play in a glorified banquet hall... that happens to be in walking distance from the office so maybe. Was a good place for boxing but still basically a banquet hall.

ETA apparently the stadium is not the same as the conference center although it is in the same complex. Still 3,500 capacity
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Bulls' attendance went from a consistent 6000-7000 per game to 18,000 per game when they drafted Jordan. I would not be surprised to see a big jump for a few of the WNBA teams, at least for this year. To me, the big unknown is whether the increased interest will be sustained.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

For many MANY years, the entire marketing approach of the Bullets was to advertise when Magic and Kareem or Bird or MJ or Dominque or whoever the marquee stars were coming to DC.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:14 pm
Even before Clark attendance and ratings were way up. Las Vegas, for example, sold out every game this year and is moving several to T-Mobile (18,000 seats).

Most games Indiana plays are being moved to larger arenas in other WNBA markets. The WNBA was already on the up but this might really provide a bigger boost.
The Aces and the Mystic have moved their home games against the Fever to larger arenas at this point. There is an actual petition for Chicago to move their home game from Wintrust (10K) to United Center (21K). And ticket prices on the after market are steep.

The Fever even got a local TV deal for their games. First time that has happened for them.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm For many MANY years, the entire marketing approach of the Bullets was to advertise when Magic and Kareem or Bird or MJ or Dominque or whoever the marquee stars were coming to DC.
Clippers were the same. Sunday LA Times sports section in the mid-90's would have ads for a six- or eight-game ticket package built around star players from opposing teams.

Also, NBA player salaries are about half of the league's basketball-related income. In the WNBA, it is around 10%.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:38 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm For many MANY years, the entire marketing approach of the Bullets was to advertise when Magic and Kareem or Bird or MJ or Dominque or whoever the marquee stars were coming to DC.
Clippers were the same. Sunday LA Times sports section in the mid-90's would have ads for a six- or eight-game ticket package built around star players from opposing teams.

Also, NBA player salaries are about half of the league's basketball-related income. In the WNBA, it is around 10%.
That difference in those percentages is obviously shitty, but I wonder how much of that is due to fixed costs.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:38 pm

That difference in those percentages is obviously shitty, but I wonder how much of that is due to fixed costs.
WNBA salary cap is (basically) $1.5M so that means salaries are $18M total so that would put basketball revenue at $180M which certainly sounds right but yeah that $162M isn’t going into the league’s or owners pockets I don’t think. Travel, team employees, other fixed costs, etc eat up most of it I imagine.

But if attendance booms like it appears to be set to that salary number should rise a lot in next CBA. And of course other stars like Wilson, Stewart etc should see their endorsement deals as well.