Doc: The Umentary Type

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Doc: The Umentary Type

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't think I'd be super interested in this if wasn't McCarthy driving it and conducting the interviews. Well, who am I kidding, I'm watching a doc on the Brat Pack regardless. But the trailer really got me.

That article, man... I had forgotten just how shitty it was. Calling Timothy Hutton and his crew "greasy" was just wildly inappropriate. The other thing that doesn't age well is the lack of a focus on the women that very clearly defined that group. Ally Sheedy, Molly Ringwald and Demi Moore took that group to another level.

It's also weird how wrong he was about putting Cage and Cruise in there... Did they ever really hang out? The article sure doesn't mention that as being a thing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't remember Cage being part of that scene at all. Didn't his career come a bit later? Cruise was definitely the right age and in some of the same movies, even if he wasn't part of the tight friend group.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I get the sense Tom Cruise may have never had a single close friend, let a long a tight group.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:25 am I don't remember Cage being part of that scene at all. Didn't his career come a bit later? Cruise was definitely the right age and in some of the same movies, even if he wasn't part of the tight friend group.
He's in the original article, but as I said, I found it really weird and almost jarring that he's in there at all. I'm sure he joined parties with them, but he also didn't fit the writer's loose criteria of being in those famous ensemble movies.

Cruise was best friends with Emilio and before he blew up with Risky Business was definitely part of that scene for a minute.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wasn't The Outsiders kinda officially the start of that?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:59 pm Wasn't The Outsiders kinda officially the start of that?
Well, kinda... The connection with Penn, Cruise and Hutton was sparked with Taps (81). Then got further extended by The Outsiders (83) Which brings in other fringe Brat Packers like Ralph Macchio, C Thomas Howell and Matt Dillon... joining Cruise, Lowe and Estevez.

In 83, Cruise had The Outsiders, All the Right Moves and Risky Business all come out in one year. Holy fucking shit. I forgot it was so stacked up like that. (Top Gun came in 86).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

On one of our family vacations, my wife and I were in the kitchen chatting with my BIL. My nephew ran in the room and did a slide similar to the one Tom Cruise did in Risky Business. My BIL points and yells "TOM CRUISE! ALL THE RIGHT MOVES!" which since 2019 has been an inside joke between my wife and me. One of us will yell that anytime we see Tom Cruise, either of those movies referenced, or even if we hear that god-awful song that was playing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Don’t act like you’re too good to recognize Bob Seger. Someone else here (maybe bapo!?) hates him too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's definitely not a Seger dig. I just really hate that song.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I freely admit to being a lifelong Seger fan. There's the Ann Arbor/Detroit/MI connection on top of being one of the first albums (my mom's) I listened to as a kid.

I fucking hate that song.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I like (but don’t love Seger) but that’s probably his worst popular song. Turn The Page was and will always be a banger though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I hate that song too. Otherwise, I can take or leave Seger. Never did anything for me. But that song has always pissed me off. And of course, "Like a Rock" was also forever ruined by those truck commercials. I do like "Hollywood Nights" and "Turn the Page" though.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm gunna check this out:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:40 pm Yeah, I hate that song too. Otherwise, I can take or leave Seger. Never did anything for me. But that song has always pissed me off. And of course, "Like a Rock" was also forever ruined by those truck commercials. I do like "Hollywood Nights" and "Turn the Page" though.
Hollywood Nights is in the orbit of Dashboard Light in terms of operatic rock songs of the late 70s. A fun little journey of a song.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A friend and I were talking the other day about how it would be nice if there was a 'quota' you could reach in your life of unintentionally-heard musical artists, and once reached you'd never have to hear them again. Seger is the poster child for that movement for me. Not totally unpleasant, just blends into the unremarkable mush of the collective consciousness.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:40 pm Yeah, I hate that song too. Otherwise, I can take or leave Seger. Never did anything for me. But that song has always pissed me off. And of course, "Like a Rock" was also forever ruined by those truck commercials. I do like "Hollywood Nights" and "Turn the Page" though.
"Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" is a fantastic song...used well in "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood".

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:53 am
"Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" is a fantastic song...used well in "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood".

Easily my favorite movie of the last 15 years.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am

Great movie...hated the ending though.
[+] spoiler
Tarantino has really got into a rut of having his movies end in a big fiery showdown. See "Django Unchained", "Inglorious Basterds", and "Once Upon A Time...".

It's kinda like how Disney animated movies have the baddie fall to their death...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:03 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am

Great movie...hated the ending though.
[+] spoiler
Tarantino has really got into a rut of having his movies end in a big fiery showdown. See "Django Unchained", "Inglorious Basterds", and "Once Upon A Time...".

It's kinda like how Disney animated movies have the baddie fall to their death...
[+] spoiler
Haven't seen Django Unchained, so to me it just felt like a nod towards Inglorious Basterds, which I also love.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Night Moves stayed in my car's 8-track player unmoved for a month, when it was a new album.

(This post should probably go in the "Things that make you feel old" thread.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:50 am A friend and I were talking the other day about how it would be nice if there was a 'quota' you could reach in your life of unintentionally-heard musical artists, and once reached you'd never have to hear them again. Seger is the poster child for that movement for me. Not totally unpleasant, just blends into the unremarkable mush of the collective consciousness.
I totally agree with the concept, but for me that's not Seger. That's Led Zeppelin.

(Okay, fine, for single-spaced typing on a message board, one space is enough.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:20 pm Night Moves stayed in my car's 8-track player unmoved for a month, when it was a new album.
"Night Moves" was one of the first songs I learned on the guitar.

Man, that song is HORNY...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Workin' and practicin'
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like the Brat Pack doc kinda sucked? The value was in semi-famous guy got his more famous old coworkers to participate but nothing ever happened?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah we haven’t watched it but we saw some friends tonight who said it was pretty awful.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:52 pm Yeah we haven’t watched it but we saw some friends tonight who said it was pretty awful.
I wouldn’t say awful but Mr D is right that there was nothing terribly interesting either. Maybe the most compelling part was McCarthy interviewing the writer who wrote the New York piece that gave them the name.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!