Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by Jerloma »

Hey Dave, know how your state has been pissing all over the establishment clause since like forever? Well now these jackasses are attempting to rip it's head off and fuck it's skull...
The bill goes on to say:

SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.
I wonder what religion they're going to pick? I bet it's Wiccan.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
ZMan
Brandt

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by ZMan »

Did they not understand the 14th amendment when they ratified it?
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I hadn't heard that one. Since we have our first GOP governor in forever and the GOP has had a majority in the state legislature for a while now, they'e been trying all kinds of crazy shit. Good times.

Whenever these stories come up (e.g. the amendment to our constitution banning same-sex marriage), I'm reminded of just how little of the state I actually see every day. It's easy to forget that it's not all the Triangle out there. There are a shitload of backwater counties full of ignorance.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This song is like a year and a half old but Minchin likes to block some of his music from youtube so that people that see him in concert will have some new material to listen to. Anyway, there's some stand-up at the beginning but if you want to go right to the song it's at 5:25. The story he tells is that a guy approaches him at a bar wondering how he doesn't believe in God and so to convince him, the guy tells him a story about how his mom had cataracts and had to have surgery. So they told their congregation this and everyone prayed for his mom. After surgery, her eyes were healed. What follows is the most sarcastic 5 minutes in music history...

(For some reason, the audio is a bit low on this)
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:I hadn't heard that one. Since we have our first GOP governor in forever and the GOP has had a majority in the state legislature for a while now, they'e been trying all kinds of crazy shit. Good times.

Whenever these stories come up (e.g. the amendment to our constitution banning same-sex marriage), I'm reminded of just how little of the state I actually see every day. It's easy to forget that it's not all the Triangle out there. There are a shitload of backwater counties full of ignorance.
I'd guess that Ernest T. Bass is more representative of your state than are you.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm sure the Dead Milkmen probably could out-sarcasm that song. Bitchin' Camaro comes to mind.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:This song is like a year and a half old but Minchin likes to block some of his music from youtube so that people that see him in concert will have some new material to listen to. Anyway, there's some stand-up at the beginning but if you want to go right to the song it's at 5:25. The story he tells is that a guy approaches him at a bar wondering how he doesn't believe in God and so to convince him, the guy tells him a story about how his mom had cataracts and had to have surgery. So they told their congregation this and everyone prayed for his mom. After surgery, her eyes were healed. What follows is the most sarcastic 5 minutes in music history...

Moments like that make me realize I use words like "brilliant" and "genius" far too often, because it left me nowhere to go to describe this bit. I was waiting for Stewie and Brian the dog to elevate out of the stage in coat and tails and start tap dancing.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:I'm sure the Dead Milkmen probably could out-sarcasm that song. Bitchin' Camaro comes to mind.
Or "Stuart".

ETA: Or "You'll Dance to Anything".
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:This song is like a year and a half old but Minchin likes to block some of his music from youtube so that people that see him in concert will have some new material to listen to. Anyway, there's some stand-up at the beginning but if you want to go right to the song it's at 5:25. The story he tells is that a guy approaches him at a bar wondering how he doesn't believe in God and so to convince him, the guy tells him a story about how his mom had cataracts and had to have surgery. So they told their congregation this and everyone prayed for his mom. After surgery, her eyes were healed. What follows is the most sarcastic 5 minutes in music history...

That was fantastic.
Totally Kafkaesque
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

There's one guy I won't be meeting in heaven.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That was awesome. Next time I see someone wear a cross I'm going to use "Oh, you're a fan of intersections too! Excellent."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The lower case letter T rules.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:That was awesome. Next time I see someone wear a cross I'm going to use "Oh, you're a fan of intersections too! Excellent."
What also works is "Oh, hey, I used to work with a guy that was also in the Klan."
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Great song, but unless I'm mistaken, Sam's mom didn't have surgery and she was healed.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

bfj wrote:Great song, but unless I'm mistaken, Sam's mom didn't have surgery and she was healed.
Sam is insane. Sam's mother was misdiagnosed. Sam is full of shit. Sam doesn't exist. Sam is pastiche. Tim Minchin made up the whole story because, well, artists make things up for a living. Take your pick.

Calling G-d a cunt is a new one on me. But one can't really insult that which doesn't exist with any real damnable shebang.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Scottie wrote:
bfj wrote:Great song, but unless I'm mistaken, Sam's mom didn't have surgery and she was healed.
Sam is insane. Sam's mother was misdiagnosed. Sam is full of shit. Sam doesn't exist. Sam is pastiche. Tim Minchin made up the whole story because, well, artists make things up for a living. Take your pick.

Calling G-d a cunt is a new one on me. But one can't really insult that which doesn't exist with any real damnable shebang.
I'm not disagreeing, but Loma said that Sam's mom had surgery in his post.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

bfj wrote:
Scottie wrote:

I'm not disagreeing, but Loma said that Sam's mom had surgery in his post.
Minchin doesn't say that.

J-Lo stated that incorrectly; misquouted.

Go to about the 4:00 mark. 1700 evangelicals in Dandenong pray for her and she goes back to the doctor to find out that G-d evidently healed her.

Anyway, being the thorough and refined organization that The Swamp is, we've got men everywhere, right? Dandenong is a mere jot away from Melbourne. I fully expect our local Aussie-dwelling agent in Melbourne to investigate this and report back as, well, soon as he sees fit.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Scottie wrote:J-Lo stated that incorrectly; misquouted.
Literally, the only point I was trying to make.
I understood the song.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Totally misquoted. Sorry. My guess is that he's heard that sort of thing a hundred times and he tweaked the story to fit the song.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Jerloma wrote:Totally misquoted. Sorry. My guess is that he's heard that sort of thing a hundred times and he tweaked the story to fit the song.
This is my take, too. Artists write and then re-write. Good artists re-write, re-write, re-write, refine, refine, refine, to the tiniest nuance, until it is exactly how they want to perform it. And stress perform. Don't sleep on Minchin's stage acting, he's great at it. Consummate professional.

Brilliant bit. All of it. That song and the the lead-up. The lead-up is an essential. The song doesn't work without the preamble. The preamble is, mind you, perfectly executed, stunning. The lyrics in the last couple of minutes are so fast and flawless that I had to give it multiple listens (no complaints there!). But, damn, he threw everything he had at the wall there. His compositions are extraordinary at times. That one was pure magic.

And an aside on Minchin: Gak, I wish he was more popular. He's a brilliant performer, composer, intellect. Don't sleep on how good of a musician he is; he's tremendous.

It's like Lyle Mays playing Christopher Hitchens.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Scottie, do you watch Californication which stars David Duchovny on Showtime? He was excellent as Atticus Fetch this season.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

No. I've never seen it.

Some day I'll just grab'n'burn the entirety of it. But that chance hasn't shown up yet. I will, I will.

But, Johnnie. I lost our PM thread in the dead Swamp. We should continue our graphics development. So let's resurrect that, eh?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Scottie wrote:And an aside on Minchin: Gak, I wish he was more popular. He's a brilliant performer, composer, intellect. Don't sleep on how good of a musician he is; he's tremendous.
Truth. I think playing with a chorus doesn't allow you to see how talented he really is either. What he can do live with just a baby grand is off the charts. I say that not as a fan but as someone who loves to play the piano that doesn't possess anything remotely resembling a shred of musical talent.

I think he explains his lack of popularity perfectly in Darkside. He's basically making fun of the early 90's grunge artists for manufacturing their tortured persona to sell records (Wicked piano-gasm at about the 4:40 mark by the way).
I wrote a letter to Mr Sony
I said, "Hey S-sony what's g-going down?
I've got a record and I reckon it's wicked
And I th-think you should s-spread it around."
He said, "Hey Tim, I quite like your work
He said, "It's clever and quirky
But I promise you this:
You could be clever as Voltaire
But it won't get you nowhere
If you wanna sell discs
Clever never made no one rich
It doesn't appeal to the teenage market
The teenage market!"
The other issue on this side of the pond is that this country is full of stupid people that take themselves too seriously. Irony is completely lost on most of this country. What percentage of Muricans would get that he's actually making fun of a guy that performs barefoot with skinny jeans and eye make-up?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Hey look...two more infants in New York got herpes because their parents and our government allow a rabbi to suck the foreskin off with his mouth after being circumcised.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wiki wrote:Beginning in around the 18th century, it was known that this technique itself can spread infection (ironically, prevention of which was the very reason metzitzah was instituted) and harm the baby
Ruling?

Have we ever had a discussion on the general practice of circumcision? I promised myself that I would read up on it (beforehand) if I ever had a son.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
wiki wrote:Beginning in around the 18th century, it was known that this technique itself can spread infection (ironically, prevention of which was the very reason metzitzah was instituted) and harm the baby
Ruling?

Have we ever had a discussion on the general practice of circumcision? I promised myself that I would read up on it (beforehand) if I ever had a son.

What do you want to know? People mutilate the genitals of their infants because they think that the dude that created foreskins doesn't want them there.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote:Ruling?
Yes, I think that is ironic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote:What do you want to know? People mutilate the genitals of their infants because they think that the dude that created foreskins doesn't want them there.
Isn't circumcision still pretty common? How many circumcisions these days are motivated by religious belief at all, let alone an actual belief that the dude who created foreskins doesn't want them there?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

i'm just glad i don't have one of those weird looking weiners. thanks, mom and dad!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Jerloma wrote:What do you want to know? People mutilate the genitals of their infants because they think that the dude that created foreskins doesn't want them there.
Isn't circumcision still pretty common? How many circumcisions these days are motivated by religious belief at all, let alone an actual belief that the dude who created foreskins doesn't want them there?
Oh well I think it's common enough where people do it without even thinking about the actual reason anymore. I think that's the case for most religious rituals being practiced today. It's still an action that's the result of a divine mandate though.*

*To be fair, there is some debate about it being healthier as it reduces the chance of infection although this isn't completely accepted by the medical community. If the motivation was truly completely secular and only being done for health reasons, wouldn't you have to have their appendix removed too though? That thing is a fucking ticking time bomb of doom. What an utterly useless organ. Unfortunately, God didn't make David bring him the appendixes of all the Philistines that he killed for him because God didn't know what the hell an appendix was.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Smegma. The answer is smegma.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

There are some interesting movies being pirated from The Vatican...

Who knows German? Can you interpret that for us?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:There are some interesting movies being pirated from The Vatican...

I'm calling BS. That is a lot of female names in those porn flicks.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Pope Klozmodius knows how to steal the good stuff from the internet way better that the previous, dumber, less tech savvy Popes. That's why you don't see German Goo Girls Anal Piss Gangbang and Japanese Futanari Hermie Shemale Un-Pixelated porn on that list.

Because Pope Klozmodius knows how to use proxies. Pope Klozmodius is not an idiot. Pope Klozmodius can download footage of a donkey fucking a midget kangaroo with a Strap-On.

Do not fuck with Pope Klozmodius.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:Pope Klozmodius knows how to steal the good stuff from the internet way better that the previous, dumber, less tech savvy Popes. That's why you don't see German Goo Girls Anal Piss Gangbang and Japanese Futanari Hermie Shemale Un-Pixelated porn on that list.

Because Pope Klozmodius knows how to use proxies. Pope Klozmodius is not an idiot. Pope Klozmodius can download footage of a donkey fucking a midget kangaroo with a Strap-On.

Do not fuck with Pope Klozmodius.
Does Pope K share?
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

…and Happy Scrappy Hero Pup
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:There are some interesting movies being pirated from The Vatican...

I'm calling BS. That is a lot of female names in those porn flicks.
You apparently didn't google Tiffany Starr and Teena Shaw, then.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've downloaded a couple Sheena Shaw flicks.

But not that one.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The German one starts off with "BDSM". I don't think further interpretation is needed.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jerloma wrote:
Scottie wrote:And an aside on Minchin: Gak, I wish he was more popular. He's a brilliant performer, composer, intellect. Don't sleep on how good of a musician he is; he's tremendous.
Truth. I think playing with a chorus doesn't allow you to see how talented he really is either. What he can do live with just a baby grand is off the charts. I say that not as a fan but as someone who loves to play the piano that doesn't possess anything remotely resembling a shred of musical talent.

I think he explains his lack of popularity perfectly in Darkside. He's basically making fun of the early 90's grunge artists for manufacturing their tortured persona to sell records (Wicked piano-gasm at about the 4:40 mark by the way).
I wrote a letter to Mr Sony
I said, "Hey S-sony what's g-going down?
I've got a record and I reckon it's wicked
And I th-think you should s-spread it around."
He said, "Hey Tim, I quite like your work
He said, "It's clever and quirky
But I promise you this:
You could be clever as Voltaire
But it won't get you nowhere
If you wanna sell discs
Clever never made no one rich
It doesn't appeal to the teenage market
The teenage market!"
The other issue on this side of the pond is that this country is full of stupid people that take themselves too seriously. Irony is completely lost on most of this country. What percentage of Muricans would get that he's actually making fun of a guy that performs barefoot with skinny jeans and eye make-up?
Ben Folds never wore the skinny jeans and eye make up, and he's perhaps slightly less witty, but still a good lyricist and fantastic pianist.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.