Temporary Secretary

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Temporary Secretary

Post by bapo! »

All of the 'temporary' talk on the board has put one of the worst songs of the disco era in my head. I'm not trying to do the 'bunch of threads with similar titles' thing, but I want you to share my pain. (And I just want to test out a new thread, to see if I still have the phpBB touch.)

Last year, I decided that I was going to become better acquainted with Paul McCartney's solo stuff. I knew that he had a bunch of hits in the '70s, but I had never heard the albums. So I listened, and yeah, there's a lot of great stuff there. (Not surprising.) For instance, besides 'Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey,' 'Ram' was entirely new to me, and it's a really fun bluesy thing.

Anyway, 'McCartney II' came out in 1980. 'Temporary Secretary' stands out. Sounds like nothing else that McCartney recorded, and we should be grateful for that. And it's the second track on the album! I mentioned it to a friend who's a big McCartney fan, and he said, 'Oh, yeah, I know that song. It has its own Wikipedia page.' Which I guess means that it's truly part of the culture.

'McCartney II' is also the album that features an instrumental that uses an Asian slur in the title. It's an instrumental, it could have been called anything in the world, so why go there?
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Temporary Secretary

Post by temporassy »

Semplica Girls wrote:'McCartney II' is also the album that features an instrumental that uses an Asian slur in the title. It's an instrumental, it could have been called anything in the world, so why go there?
He had a thing with Japan. Related?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

temporassy wrote:He had a thing with Japan. Related?
According to this, the song was recorded before the incident, and he just kept the working title. How many months passed between the composition of the song and the album's release? How many people had a hand in it? I just don't understand how these things happen. Yeah, it was a different world in 1980, but still.

A lot of great music, some questionable judgment.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yup...that's pretty fucking terrible.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Oh, hey, since this is a quasi-Beatles thread, I have a question. Has anybody here ever watched, or even heard of, "All This and World War II"? I had been meaning to watch it for years, and I finally got thru it a few months ago. But really, 5 or 10 minutes would have been enough.

If you're not familiar, it's a 1976 20th Century Fox movie that features documentary footage and movie clips about World War II, with a soundtrack of Beatles covers. (Elton John! The Bee Gees! Tina Turner! Some dude named Leo Sayer!!!) It's even worse than you would imagine. I think this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that every single person on Earth was doing drugs in the '70s. It's out of circulation, but you can find it on YouTube in its entirety if you want to gawk at it in disbelief.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You never heard of Leo Sayer?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

Let's see....Leo Sayer..sort of a cover song...Beatles-esque outfits...relevant enough for me, I'm posting it:

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Temporary J-Lo wrote:You never heard of Leo Sayer?
Not until I saw the movie. Looking at his bio now, and he actually had a pretty lengthy career. He just stuck out because he has three songs on the soundtrack.

I didn't know that "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" was his. I always thought that was a Bee Gees song.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Hey, did they get a new yellow guy?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Yeah, I'm bumping this thread. My friend who shares a fascination with this song just sent me this link: It's from a McCartney concert a few months ago. Why is this noteworthy? It's the first live performance of 'Temporary Secretary'! After 35 years, he finally decided, 'Yeah, I think the audience is ready.'
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's a grade A thread bump. Nice.

Still a horrible song.

And yes, there was a new yellow Wiggle (Greg had a mysterious illness) even before my kids grew out of them (which was at least a couple of years prior to the start of this thread).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not a thread about Maggie Gyllanhall?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:That's a grade A thread bump. Nice.

Still a horrible song.

And yes, there was a new yellow Wiggle (Greg had a mysterious illness) even before my kids grew out of them (which was at least a couple of years prior to the start of this thread).
Here are the original Wiggles featuring the guy who wore the yellow shirt first. Vintage era Wiggles, BEFORE they sold out.

And speaking of Paul McCartney, he really is a schlock-meister. Party I was at last night featured some retro-music. "Band on the Run" came on and it just struck me that lyrically, it was written at a nursery rhyme level. Never ceases to amaze that people will spend hundreds of dollars to hear mangled versions of Beatles songs.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That is Greg. Then Sam took over when Greg had to step down after getting the mysterious illness. I think some chick is the yellow wiggle now. So sad. RIP Greg Wiggle.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hot Potato! Indeed...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

When I glanced at the Swamp this morning, this thread had more responses than I was expecting. And then I remembered: 'Oh, yeah, they're probably just talking about The Wiggles.' The Swamp is a weird place sometimes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The yellow Wiggle shirt is bad luck? Who knew?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Hey, did they get a new yellow guy?

No, Jeff is still there.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt