Official Brain Tumor thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Official Brain Tumor thread

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote:Best of luck. FWIW... an associate of mine recently had brain surgery and it went well with a pretty quick recovery. Back at the job already.
Jesus christ...why you gotta be such a downer?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just got back from the neurosurgeon and he's pretty blasé about the whole thing, so I'm feeling pretty good all things considered. And in one of those weird WTF moments life throws at you, it turns out he's from the smaller town about 10 minutes south of the smallish town I grew up in. Going to probably schedule surgery for the end of September, so if things do go sideways I'll have one last chance for the Lions to disappointment me in person for their season opener at Ford Field.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:Just got back from the neurosurgeon and he's pretty blasé about the whole thing, so I'm feeling pretty good all things considered. And in one of those weird WTF moments life throws at you, it turns out he's from the smaller town about 10 minutes south of the smallish town I grew up in. Going to probably schedule surgery for the end of September, so if things do go sideways I'll have one last chance for the Lions to disappointment me in person for their season opener at Ford Field.
You really don't want to hang out with me, do you? Do they have slots in the hospital? I'll come visit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Does anyone else see the thread title and read it as "Brian Tumor?"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Why do you have to wait until the end of September? Is it just due to the doctor's schedule? I'd want to get that shit over with ASAP.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Why do you have to wait until the end of September? Is it just due to the doctor's schedule? I'd want to get that shit over with ASAP.
Seriously. The MRI pics on FB were unsettling. Hope my lame jokes are taken the right way. Dark humor is how I handle bad news, shouldn't assume others do to.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Why do you have to wait until the end of September? Is it just due to the doctor's schedule? I'd want to get that shit over with ASAP.
Seriously. The MRI pics on FB were unsettling. Hope my lame jokes are taken the right way. Dark humor is how I handle bad news, shouldn't assume others do to.
I could probably try to get fit in to the middle or end of August or so, but that might make it harder for my mom and dad to come out during the surgery (which they want to do). We have more vacations at work during that time also so it'll put a hardship on my co-workers.

And if the recovery time takes longer I don't want to have to cancel my trip to Michigan the first week of September. Basically, despite as bad as the pics look I've had that thing in my head for my entire life. It's not growing and with the anti-seizure meds, there's little chance of additional seizures in the next month or so, so it's more about trying to find a time that's convenient for me, my family and work. The doctor said some (though not many) people in my situation will choose to NEVER have surgery and instead just hope for the best as far as seizure management for the rest of their life. That's not how I roll, but I'm going to try to schedule the surgery for the most opportune time possible. (Though it will likely mean standing Giff and his wife up and impacting their chances at free Wu-Tang tix.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:Does anyone else see the thread title and read it as "Brian Tumor?"
And yes I do appreciate the irony of having a lifetime of my name misspelled "Brain" and possibly being felled by said anagramic organ.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Since I have Bob Mould tickets for September 30 and I might call in a favor or two to meet the great man (you may recall I'm friends with his former WCW co-worker Mike Tenay), I may just end up scheduling the surgery for the first week of October. Gotta work it in around the concert schedule, y'know?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can we at least wait to see if anyone's announced at Brooklyn Bowl for 9/20?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Giff wrote:Can we at least wait to see if anyone's announced at Brooklyn Bowl for 9/20?
How are you doing this with all of this by the way? You hanging in there, bud?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jerloma wrote:
Giff wrote:Can we at least wait to see if anyone's announced at Brooklyn Bowl for 9/20?
How are you doing this with all of this by the way? You hanging in there, bud?
Doin' alright. In all seriousness, I would be very upset if this happened to any of you. Despite the positive recovery prognosis, it sucks to see someone have to go through this.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

brian wrote:...having a lifetime of my name misspelled "Brain"...
It's really astonishing how often this happens, isn't it?
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

AB_skin_test wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:Best of luck. FWIW... an associate of mine recently had brain surgery and it went well with a pretty quick recovery. Back at the job already.
Jesus christ...why you gotta be such a downer?
Good one, AB. I can always depend upon you for inciteful observations. And, a good chuckle, too.

Brian, the fact that the doctor is in no major hurry is a good sign.

Good luck, old friend.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Yard of Junk
Maude Lebowski

Post by Yard of Junk »

Brian: Same good wishes as everyone else. Hate that you are having to go through this.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

phxgators wrote:
brian wrote:...having a lifetime of my name misspelled "Brain"...
It's really astonishing how often this happens, isn't it?
I have a good friend who tells us his middle name is misspelled as "Brain" on his birth certificate. He gets quite a kick out of it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice avatar AB.

Though I'm now hungry because I flipped through my H2C photos and I took way more pictures of DiS' repast than I recall.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

rass wrote:… I took way more pictures of DiS' repast than I recall.
Damn what a great meal that was.

(Donuts were good too.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Doc scheduled my surgery for Tuesday, 9/30, so looks like I'm missing Bob Mould, but means if you were really bummed out about missing me, I'll be available that weekend you're in town.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Brian, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Best of luck with the surgery and recovery. Are you doing this in Michigan?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DC47 wrote:Brian, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Best of luck with the surgery and recovery. Are you doing this in Michigan?
No, here in Las Vegas. It'll be easier to recover at home I figure. Though a lot of people just assumed that I would have the surgery done at U-M, which I guess kinda does make some sense. They got some great doctors there. But the hospital I'm having the procedure done at here in Vegas is considered one of the top neuro departments in the Southwest.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Sounds good. I know that Las Vegas is getting good at a lot of things besides that which it is famous for. If you switch to U-M for some reason, I hope you'll let me know. There might be ways I can help out in that setting.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
Doc scheduled my surgery for Tuesday, 9/30, so looks like I'm missing Bob Mould, but means if you were really bummed out about missing me, I'll be available that weekend you're in town.
I was man. Blitzen Trapper just announced they're playing on my bday at some place downtown I can't recall the name of right now. Not sure if you dig them or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, Beauty Bar. Cool place to see a show actually. The stage is outdoors and it should be really nice that time of year. I'd be down for that one probably.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My wife may be your biggest fan right now.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Damn...good luck on your recovery, Brian. Hoping for the best.

(Were you still able to make it out here for the Halos/Tigers series?)
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Keg wrote:Damn...good luck on your recovery, Brian. Hoping for the best.

No, I had to cancel that and eat the tickets, so that was a bummer too. I tried to post on Facebook that I'd give 'em away to anyone interested, but didn't have any takers. The Tigers looked like shit, so at least I didn't miss much.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
Keg wrote:Damn...good luck on your recovery, Brian. Hoping for the best.

No, I had to cancel that and eat the tickets, so that was a bummer too. I tried to post on Facebook that I'd give 'em away to anyone interested, but didn't have any takers. The Tigers looked like shit, so at least I didn't miss much.
They always do, fuck Mike Scioscia.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

sorry bro. it sucks when things happen to your body that you cant control. hoping for a quick recovery
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Brian. Just wanted to come out of the woodwork to wish you the best as you go through this. Let me know the next time you're at a Lions game and beer is on me.
Popin' ain't easy
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:Brian. Just wanted to come out of the woodwork to wish you the best as you go through this. Let me know the next time you're at a Lions game and beer is on me.
Going to the Monday night football season opener on Sept 8 if you're going.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

brian wrote:
Johnny Hotcakes wrote:Brian. Just wanted to come out of the woodwork to wish you the best as you go through this. Let me know the next time you're at a Lions game and beer is on me.
Not sure yet if I will be able to get the time off to attend that game, but I will certainly keep you posted!
Popin' ain't easy
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:
brian wrote:
Not sure yet if I will be able to get the time off to attend that game, but I will certainly keep you posted!
If you do go, get downtown EARLY. There's a Tigers game at the exact same time. It's going to be apeshit. (I'm kinda personally pissed that I'm missing a Lucero concert, also in downtown Detroit that night, though that's not going to have any impact on traffic obvs.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

howard wrote:Give me a call anytime should you want to discuss. And get a good fucking surgeon, these things are very treatable, but tricky. And right away, talk to your doctor about banking a unit or two of your own blood, for transfusion back into you during surgery (this is an option, not a full-out recommendation on my part). These things bleed, and you will be getting some transfusions. You are welcome to a pint or two of mine, if we are the same blood type (but then again that could rapidly spiral into a Dave Chappelle skit.)

Blood Drive for Brian!!!

Best of luck, and call me.

ETA: The best neurosurgeon for this might well be at UNLV, but if I were you with your geographic considerations I would look first at U of M.

Go BLUE!

(I saw this news on your Fb page, but since we're "internet friends" I felt weird about chiming in. A good friend of mine is going through treatment for colon cancer right now and posting a lot on Fb about it... And I have a tough time engaging the subject in that forum. Just seems too much like wishing someone Happy Birthday on that site... Like, ok, thanks for the effort, I guess.

Anyways, a long winded way of saying I've been thinking good thoughts but hadn't dropped into the Swamp to see this thread to express it in a more "appropriate" setting.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Just getting back to an actual computer where I feel like typing. Sorry to hear about this, and I wish you the best of luck/science. Sounds like the same general thing that Ryan Westmoreland had. Because I know nothing will help you get through the fight like a kinda-success story of a Red Sox prospect.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:Just getting back to an actual computer where I feel like typing. Sorry to hear about this, and I wish you the best of luck/science. Sounds like the same general thing that Ryan Westmoreland had. Because I know nothing will help you get through the fight like a kinda-success story of a Red Sox prospect.
Fuck, I hope this doesn't set back Brian's quest to make it to the big leagues.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DC47 wrote:Sure, he didn't have MLB talent in the first place and is now dealing with this medical condition, but if you only focus on this one minute piece of data, I think you can forecast that he'll be atleast a first division regular for the next 7 or 8 years. As long as he plays for Detroit.
; )
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:Just getting back to an actual computer where I feel like typing. Sorry to hear about this, and I wish you the best of luck/science. Sounds like the same general thing that Ryan Westmoreland had. Because I know nothing will help you get through the fight like a kinda-success story of a Red Sox prospect.
Sounds like what the doctors described to me, though sounds like his was in a much scarier/more precarious spot. Mine is a "meatier" one (for lack of better/more apt scientific explanation). So one of the reasons I'm pretty lucky all things considered.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

mister d wrote:
DC47 wrote:Sure, he didn't deal... with data ... for ... 7 or 8 years.
; )
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just for grins I decided to look at my health insurance website to see my total bill so far (if I didn't have insurance).

It's not pretty. Before they even have taken saw one to my skull, it would be roughly the cost of a high-end European luxury car. Thinking when this year is said and done it should be well into six figures.

ETA: Fortunately we have really good insurance at work. Only a $1,000 deductible and the company refunds that anyway (we used to have what was considered a "Cadillac" healthcare plan, but had to get rid of it thanks to Obamacare.)