USA-Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

USA-Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Stripes wrote:John Winger: C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin.
Russell Ziskey: Well I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once. Forget it!
USA playing a strange game. Having a hard time connecting the midfield with the offense, but also having a hard time having midfield supporting the back line. A few counter attacks by the Czechs have looked pretty dangerous. That being said, great play by Mix to generate the first goal for the US (the finish is a bit disappointing, but good smart effort gave the rebound goal).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: USA-Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Stripes wrote:John Winger: C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin.
Russell Ziskey: Well I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once. Forget it!
USA playing a strange game. Having a hard time connecting the midfield with the offense, but also having a hard time having midfield supporting the back line. A few counter attacks by the Czechs have looked pretty dangerous. That being said, great play by Mix to generate the first goal for the US (the finish is a bit disappointing, but good smart effort gave the rebound goal).
Love it. I was of the age where we zipped into and out of Wisconsin to buy booze. Never got the shit kicked out of me though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This defense looks dicier than a Yahtzee tournament
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Czech and Slovakia are two different countries, now!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote:This defense looks dicier than a Yahtzee tournament
All part of my plan to let Rimando show his stuff.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote:Czech and Slovakia are two different countries, now!
Yes, I know. It was the result of me trying to pull the Stripes reference in. Maybe I should have gone with a Warren Oates reference
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I see zero reason to give Rimando any burn at all. Not from an ability level but from an age level.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

AB_skin_test wrote:I see zero reason to give Rimando any burn at all. Not from an ability level but from an age level.
If he were a midfielder, I'd agree with you. But he'll be 39 at the next World Cup, which means there is every chance he still will be damn good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I see zero reason to give Rimando any burn at all. Not from an ability level but from an age level.
If he were a midfielder, I'd agree with you. But he'll be 39 at the next World Cup, which means there is every chance he still will be damn good.
I would think playing in the MLS would increase the ability of a 39 year old to continue playing international games for the US. Coming over from Europe to train, then fly to Honduras or whatever backwater country takes a toll. I may be wrong, since flight distances are much longer, but I would think an MLS season is much less demanding than an EPL or other Euro league season. Keepers usually retire from international duties around 35, but he might still compete for the position at 39. Even if he couldn't, we may need Rimando for qualifiers, Gold Cup and Copa America. I have no problem giving him minutes
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote:I may be wrong, since flight distances are much longer, but I would think an MLS season is much less demanding than an EPL or other Euro league season.
Curious as to why you'd think that.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

Except that so will Tim Howard. And he hasn't been good enough to break in for 15 years. Why would he suddenly be one of your best choices?

Yeah, he's probabyl the third best keeper in the setup right now. So he has some use if Guzan gets hurt in a big spot, but I just think you're better off letting a younger guy start getting acclimated to being in the setup.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
nastyned
Jackie Treehorn

Post by nastyned »

i got the crap kicked outta me in Wisconsin, once
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

Except that so will Tim Howard. And he hasn't been good enough to break in for 15 years. Why would he suddenly be one of your best choices?

Yeah, he's probabyl the third best keeper in the setup right now. So he has some use if Guzan gets hurt in a big spot, but I just think you're better off letting a younger guy start getting acclimated to being in the setup.
Just because a keeper may still be good at 39 doesn't mean he will be, and we don't know how either one will age. Maybe Howard will still be the top choice in four years, maybe not. And maybe Rimando will be better than him and the others at 39, and maybe not. Maybe Howard will retire by then. Maybe Rimando will.

Plus, I don't think I'm willing to admit that Guzan is better than Rimando. Not that I'm biased or anything, but I have seen Rimando do a lot of amazing things, and he always seems to be well positioned, does a good job of organizing the defense, etc.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Just because a keeper may still be good at 39 doesn't mean he will be, and we don't know how either one will age. Maybe Howard will still be the top choice in four years, maybe not. And maybe Rimando will be better than him and the others at 39, and maybe not. Maybe Howard will retire by then. Maybe Rimando will.

Plus, I don't think I'm willing to admit that Guzan is better than Rimando. Not that I'm biased or anything, but I have seen Rimando do a lot of amazing things, and he always seems to be well positioned, does a good job of organizing the defense, etc.
Guzan has been great as the #1 in Aston Villa. Villa has one of the worst teams and defenses in the EPL, so Guzan faces an inordinate amount of shots. Most people would say Guzan was better than Howard last year.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt