The 2013 MLB thread - March/April edition

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The 2013 MLB thread - March/April edition

Post by mister d »

It would be different if it weren't a confrontational douche of an ump. Many people on twitter, the super-amazing Keith Law among them, noted that he didn't ring Zobrist up until Zobrist had already made a move towards 1B.

(Also, this is the guy who told Jeter he didn't need to be tagged on a CS if the ball beats him. I'm 99% sure this is true but I need to verify.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That was easy: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4309843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Are people saying the ump didn't decide to call a strike until Zobrist made a move, or that he didn't make it uber-demonstrative until Zobrist made a move? Incompetent or dick?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

mister d wrote:That was easy: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4309843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ha! I was at that game--it's the only game I've ever been to at YS3. The call at second was way worse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:Are people saying the ump didn't decide to call a strike until Zobrist made a move, or that he didn't make it uber-demonstrative until Zobrist made a move? Incompetent or dick?
I think logic says incompetent, Foster's history says maybe a mix. Basically the anti-Joyce, where he got every benefit of the doubt on the blown perfect game because his resume dictated he should.
RBaller3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by RBaller3 »

Cheddar: It was a terrible call and I'd be pissed too, but it's hard to say the Rays got fucked out of a win when they would have still been down by a run with 2 outs and Nathan on the mound.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

RBaller3 wrote:Cheddar: It was a terrible call and I'd be pissed too, but it's hard to say the Rays got fucked out of a win when they would have still been down by a run with 2 outs and Nathan on the mound.
Oh, I hear you. I'm not saying the Rays would have won. It was similar to the shitty call last Thursday when the umps ruled that Longoria passed Zobrist on the basepaths. The Rays still had work left to do, but each was a close game, and the Rays' chances were dramatically affected by bad decisions by the umps.

Note what I wrote before:
govmentchedda wrote:That makes two losses that are at least partially because the Rays got fucked by the umps this year. But who's counting?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

RBaller3 wrote:Cheddar: It was a terrible call and I'd be pissed too, but it's hard to say the Rays got fucked out of a win when they would have still been down by a run with 2 outs and Nathan on the mound.
It would have been bases loaded after 4 balls right down the middle

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Read about it, but hadn't seen it until now. So, now I understand why the ump owned up to it.
mister d wrote:(Also, this is the guy who told Jeter he didn't need to be tagged on a CS if the ball beats him. I'm 99% sure this is true but I need to verify.)
Plus, looks like he has a habit of telling the truth (pending stat boy's verification)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Vin Scully is having a blast with Jedd Jerko.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Carlos Carrasco, you are a stupid, stupid man.

So, he throws at Billy Butler's head in 2011 and gets a six-game suspension. Before he can serve the suspension, he blows out his elbow and has to get Tommy John surgery. The Indians keep him on their roster so he can serve his suspension and be the fifth starter. Tonight was his first start, and Robinson Cano takes him deep. The next batter, he throws at Kevin Youkilis's head.

I hope the Indians send you to AA Akron and keep you there for the rest of the year.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

I got tickets to an historic Red Sox game tonight -- looks like this is the day the Red Sox official sellout streak has come to an end (it unofficially ended awhile ago).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

FredRomero wrote:I got tickets to an historic Red Sox game tonight -- looks like this is the day the Red Sox official sellout streak has come to an end (it unofficially ended awhile ago).
If other people start thinking the way you do, then all of the sudden it's not historic any more.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

FredRomero wrote:I got tickets to an historic Red Sox game tonight -- looks like this is the day the Red Sox official sellout streak has come to an end (it unofficially ended awhile ago).
That's sort of like me saying "this posts ends my official haven't made a bad post streak at over 3,500".
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Kevin Durant and Nick Collison are visiting the Giants today. Guests in the broadcast booth of Kruk and Kuipe. OKC playing the Dubs tomorrow. And my esteem for KD rises even higher.

ETA: For two days at least, Brandon Crawford is punishing mistake pitches like the major league hitter he can turn out to be. Which is quite nice.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I still don't understand why Baker won't try Joey Votto in the #2 slot. With Choo and Votto 1-2, that should create a lot of opportunies for DatDudeBP, Frazier and BRUUUUUCE.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If nothing else, just get Joey Votto 17 more PAs this season than Not Joey Votto.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Prince Fielder's day today. Beat out what should have been a double-play grounder for an RBI, walk, walk, beat out an infield single.

Craziness.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The new king of OBP?

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fire Jay Bell. Good lord those are bad numbers.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Let's talk about Wrigley.

I just don't see the issue with upgrading the stadium. yeah, I know that the seats have been there for a long time. I remember from well before they started commercializing it. But they're not the owners. They're profiting without having to foot the bill of providing the product, no?

Traditions are great. But they sometimes run their course. Let the Cubs do what they want with their stadium, especially when they are willing to pay for it themselves.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

Well that was fun. Left at the rain delay so I got to miss the joys of watching a "closer" with control issues. That always works out well. One of the things the Red Sox did to lure more fans was to offer $5 beers. Only problem was that $5 beers were about half the size of regular priced beers. People were still buying them two at a time.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ryan wrote:Fire Jay Bell. Good lord those are bad numbers.

Not much he can do to save Bad Pedro. I hope Good Pedro shows up before May.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

THE ASTROS WON A SERIES, THE ASTROS WON A SERIES!!!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

FredRomero wrote:Well that was fun. Left at the rain delay so I got to miss the joys of watching a "closer" with control issues. That always works out well. One of the things the Red Sox did to lure more fans was to offer $5 beers. Only problem was that $5 beers were about half the size of regular priced beers. People were still buying them two at a time.
There's atleast a 90% chance Joel Hanrahan is really just Eric Gagne using an alias, right?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

There's a 100% chance I said the same thing to myself last night. It's certainly Game Over either way.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is awesome. Mo Rivera is meeting with behind the scenes people at every stadium this year that he never had a chance to meet to thank them. Here it is in Cleveland yesterday.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Since the goat's head arrived yesterday, Cubs had one game rained out, top prospect suspended for bat attack, blown 5-0 lead. #curses. - @hankschulman
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

AB_skin_test wrote:Let's talk about Wrigley.

I just don't see the issue with upgrading the stadium. yeah, I know that the seats have been there for a long time. I remember from well before they started commercializing it. But they're not the owners. They're profiting without having to foot the bill of providing the product, no?

Traditions are great. But they sometimes run their course. Let the Cubs do what they want with their stadium, especially when they are willing to pay for it themselves.
What are the exact changes that ownership is trying to make? Maybe the fans are traumatized after what happened to Soldier Field.

I have no problem if they're doing something similar to what the Dodgers did - new HD scoreboards, widened the concourses, renovated the restrooms (no more troughs) and modernized the home team clubhouse.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Giff wrote:THE ASTROS WON A SERIES, THE ASTROS WON A SERIES!!!
That's more than the Jays can say. I'm a pretty big Jays fan, but also a pretty big "Toronto sports fan in misery" fan, so it hasn't been all that bad this year.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Keg wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Let's talk about Wrigley.

What are the exact changes that ownership is trying to make? Maybe the fans are traumatized after what happened to Soldier Field.

I have no problem if they're doing something similar to what the Dodgers did - new HD scoreboards, widened the concourses, renovated the restrooms (no more troughs) and modernized the home team clubhouse.
Wrigley Field without the troughs is unthinkable.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

We talked/debated at length about Wrigley last Spring. The place is a fucking dump and it needs to be replaced. Yeah, sure, everybody should see it once. When you're going to a few dozen games there in a season, it sucks. It is staggeringly below major league standards compared to every other stadium in baseball (except Fenway, which is also an obsolete dump).

Tradition has nothing to do with it. If tradition mattered, there'd be no DH, no inter-league play, no artificial turf, no retractable roofs, no night baseball. The fans have nothing to do with it. Money talks, the opinion of the fans doesn't mean jackshit. There's no new stadium because of the owners of the Cubs and the city of Chicago. Period.

As with Boston, they can't keep playing in that decrepit dump forever. One of these days, it'll have to go.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

AL teams that were on the road this week while the Yankees and Indians sat through 2 predictable rainouts in their only series in Cleveland this year: Tampa, Oakland, Houston, Toronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

14 singles for the Tigers today. Toronto is the the gift that keeps on giving.

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

GIF of the Dodgers/Padres brawl:

Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Full story on that brawl, plus a 10-minute video, and Vin Scully sorting it all out:

http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/12/video ... xid=si_mlb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Greinke suffered a broken left collarbone during the scuffle.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

According to the Twitterverse, so take it for what it is, Matt Kemp and Carlos Quentin went after each other in the player's parking lot after the game.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The only thing better than a bunch of idiot castoffs and overpaid moprons imploding is if you have money riding on said implosion.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jeff Passan feat. Vin Scully:
Benches emptied, the teams did a do-si-do and it seemed to calm down until Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp found out the Greinke-Quentin collision left the right-hander clutching his clavicle on the way to an X-ray machine. Kemp proceeded to drop a fleet of F-bombs, translated by Scully thusly: "That's fertilizer."

Whether it was fertilizer, fiddlesticks or Fahrvergnügen, one thing is certain: The injury does indeed F with the Dodgers' season.