NFL Free Agency

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: NFL Free Agency

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote:
bfj wrote:Apparently, the Ravens are in the running to sign Rolando McLain. If the deal is affordable, is there a downside? If he flakes out again, they can just release him.
He was really poor for the Raiders and a cancer in the locker room, if the local media is to be believed, and is still getting in off-field trouble, even this offseason. But, he was a big star in college, so there must be talent there. Maybe Ray Lewis can come be a mentor for him (I'm serious - he seems immature and burned by his tenure in Oakland, maybe he just needs a football father figure that he respects.)
He's been signed to a one year deal. I don't know the details yet. Low risk, high reward. I have a hard time judging anybody who comes out of a dysfunctional place like Oakland. If he tries to be a cancer here, he'll be let go. If he gets into legal trouble here, he'll be let go. This may be his last chance in the league. I'm sure that will be mentioned to him. I like the signing.

ETA: 1 year, $700,000.
Last edited by bfj on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I feel the same way about Tommy Allen (IIRC) the DT the Pats signed from OAK. If the player is somewhat productive in OAK and signed for low $$ then why not give him a chance? It's gotta suck playing on a team as dysfunctional as the Raidahs.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I like the McClain signing a lot more than Tommie Kelly.

McClain is young and was knocked for off-field issues on top of generally not being good at football, but you have to imagine that some talent may be there.

Kelly, on the other hand, is old and apparently got penalties on purpose because he was like "fuck it". Maybe getting away from the Raiders will cure that particular ailment, but I wouldn't count on him providing much value.

Neither are really huge risks or anything, of course. One-year NFL contracts aren't worth the paper that Danny Almonte's fake birth certificate is printed on.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer said the Browns brought in the guy below for a visit but it's unlikely they'll sign him.

Signed by the Lions today....
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

What a beauty of a kicker.
Popin' ain't easy
Hodor
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hodor »

Hodor
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote:Pats made an offer to Sanders. Steelers will get a 3rd round pick if they don't match.
The Stillers matched. Did they do that out of spite because they know New England is thin at WR?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well without Sanders they'd be just as thin. I think that Sanders probably would have been tendered at a higher level, but the Steelers were looking to save some coin.
Johnnie wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Pats made an offer to Sanders. Steelers will get a 3rd round pick if they don't match.
The Stillers matched. Did they do that out of spite because they know New England is thin at WR?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie wrote:
I actually like it because I like Sanders and think he's pretty good but I'm guessing they were trying to keep their QB happy because they're pretty thin at WR as well.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jerloma wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
I actually like it because I like Sanders and think he's pretty good but I'm guessing they were trying to keep their QB happy because they're pretty thin at WR as well.

2.5 million for a pretty good WR. Seems like a good deal for Pittsburgh.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote:2.5 million for a pretty good WR. Seems like a good deal for Pittsburgh.
Not to mention...he's playing for a contract. If the Steelers message boards are any indication, I should note that I'm a huge minority here.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah, you think he's better than mediocre.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Per espn, James Harrisonis a Bengal. Two chances next season to take out Big Ben.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Fuck him. I could never stand that guy anyway. Dirty fuck.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Let it out.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Jerloma wrote:Fuck him. I could never stand that guy anyway. Dirty fuck.

Except for when he had that pick six in the Super Bowl, right?
Popin' ain't easy
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Not a free agent, but Revis is undergoing a physical with the Bucs and PFT says there is framework for a trade.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Not a free agent, but Revis is undergoing a physical with the Bucs and PFT says there is framework for a trade.
For the 13th pick this year and a conditional 4th rounder next year.

Revis signs a 6 yr/96MM deal. Oddity about it: no guaranteed money. Interesting.

I, for one, am looking forward to a bungled Jets first rounder this year.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote:Apparently, the Ravens are in the running to sign Rolando McLain. If the deal is affordable, is there a downside? If he flakes out again, they can just release him.
Arrested in Alabama for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Way to flake out in 12 days.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote:

Just came here to post this. I imagine he's released by noon.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

bfj wrote:
Johnnie wrote:

Just came here to post this. I imagine he's released by noon.
Has he ever gotten in trouble not in Decatur? There seems to be an easy solution to all of this.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:Has he ever gotten in trouble not in Decatur?
Raider fans would point out that he was involved in very, very few violent collisions with offensive football players over the past couple years.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote:Has he ever gotten in trouble not in Decatur?
Who hasn't raised a little hell in Decatur?

When I lived in Huntsville, we went out there a few times. A friend of mine grew up there and had a buddy who was essentially a real-life Crazy Cooter. He told the best stories.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is a huge deal and it is going to be bigger. Years and years of orchestrated, organized defrauding of customers. Apparently, a couple key execs have been wearing wires for months for the feds, and allegedly all the top execs of the Haslem's family's company was well aware and actively involved in promoting the defrauding scheme.

So, felony charges and class action civil suits for huge money may be in the offing.

link
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
This is a huge deal and it is going to be bigger. Years and years of orchestrated, organized defrauding of customers. Apparently, a couple key execs have been wearing wires for months for the feds, and allegedly all the top execs of the Haslem's family's company was well aware and actively involved in promoting the defrauding scheme.

So, felony charges and class action civil suits for huge money may be in the offing.

link
On the bright side, if you ever wanted to own the Cleveland Browns, you're going to get a chance here in a few months.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The NFL might end up with some egg in its face, too. Haslem was considered a premier prospective NFL owner when the NFL referred him to the Browns, and that is after the NFL vetted him.

But yes, this is looking like another sucker punch for the Browns. If Haslem goes, I have to think Banner and Lombardi are gone, too. 2013 will be another wasted year, and the rebuilding process begins anew. Again.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yay!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:The NFL might end up with some egg in its face, too. Haslem was considered a premier prospective NFL owner when the NFL referred him to the Browns, and that is after the NFL vetted him.

But yes, this is looking like another sucker punch for the Browns. If Haslem goes, I have to think Banner and Lombardi are gone, too. 2013 will be another wasted year, and the rebuilding process begins anew. Again.
Almost like being a Bengals fan or something.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote: I have to think Banner and Lombardi are gone, too.
I think Matt Millen is available.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Not a free agent, but Revis is undergoing a physical with the Bucs and PFT says there is framework for a trade.
For the 13th pick this year and a conditional 4th rounder next year.

Revis signs a 6 yr/96MM deal. Oddity about it: no guaranteed money. Interesting.

I, for one, am looking forward to a bungled Jets first rounder this year.

Man, I am all sorts of torn about this one. On one hand, he is far and away the best corner in the game and the only Jet I even like anymore. OTOH, what is the point of keeping him on a mediocre at best team? You aren't going to win anything with a bad team because of a HoF corner, right? Then factor in the fact that he is returning from a torn ACL and only has one year left on his contract. Might as well get something for him now while you can and clear the cap space, because the Jets need to rebuild the team at a lot of fucking positions right now.

I do feel bad for my father-in-law though, because for Christmas he bought matching Revis jerseys for me and the kids. And they were the really nice ones, to. I really don't care, and I'd rather have a traded Revis than any current Jet player, and the kids aren't old enough to know the difference. As I've posted before, Mo Lewis is the only Jet jersey I've ever owned, so this is still a huge update. I just know he is really upset that he bought us a jersey that we never got to wear while relevant.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Is Tebow being selfish and un-Christlike by not wanting to switch positions?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:Is Tebow being selfish and un-Christlike by not wanting to switch positions?

Not even Jesus could turn a QB into a FB.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:Is Tebow being selfish and un-Christlike by not wanting to switch positions?
Just wondering out loud... I wonder if teams would be more likely to pick him up if he said he would play any position they wanted. At this stage, he's not a kid anymore. He'll be 26 before next season starts. One doesn't usually change positions at that point.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Christians believe in only one position.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Are all the CFL teams set at QB? I'm not sure TSN has blown Tebowmania up north of the border, but would a team take a chance and allow him to "show" that he can run a pro style offense?

ETA: Just saw the Alouettes hold his CFL rights.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

He can't. He has to run a Tebow-style offense. Teams would have to be ok with that.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Rush2112 wrote:Are all the CFL teams set at QB? I'm not sure TSN has blown Tebowmania up north of the border, but would a team take a chance and allow him to "show" that he can run a pro style offense?

ETA: Just saw the Alouettes hold his CFL rights.
Als quoted today as saying that he is welcome to come and compete for the backup job. He ain't supplanting Calvillo.
Popin' ain't easy
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Ravens bring back Bryant McKinnie to play LT. No details yet. This makes me happy. He handled Freeney, Mathis, Dumervil and Von Miller in the post season games last year.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Bronto, what's the skinny on Moe?