2014 NFL Week 1

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2014 NFL Week 1

Post by DC47 »

degenerasian wrote:Lions can't put teams away. Red zone turnover gets only 3 points.
That was Same Old Lions. This is Brand New Lions. The NFL will part in front of their exodus from decades of football subservience just as the River Nile did when Jesus raised his sword.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fun times in downtown Detroit. Some baseball some beers some BBQ some football. The Giants do not look good. I'm trying to figure out how they win 4 games. I'm not seeing it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

brian wrote:Fun times in downtown Detroit. Some baseball some beers some BBQ some football. The Giants do not look good. I'm trying to figure out how they win 4 games. I'm not seeing it.
oh shit...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Saw the Labor Legacy Monument in the pregame festivities. Just like a union to leave it unfinished.

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
SandraBernhard
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SandraBernhard »

Gunpowder wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:I love watching Russell Wilson play. The guy just never seems to make that "big mistake". Just a solid player.

He made a horrible throw in the very first series and got bailed out by his tight end.

Saying that was a "horrible throw" is ridiculous and should not go unchallenged. He passed to a well covered TE and placed it where it would either be grabbed or go incomplete, but not a turnover.

Miller made a great catch, but calling this throw horrible is just wrong and brings the football IQ of this forum down a bit.

Take a look

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... f151b1c0b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I always thought Sandra Bernhard looked like she'd be stinky. So I will guess yes, yes it is stinky.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
SandraBernhard
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SandraBernhard »

I don't know about all that, just trying to correct the record on horrible throws.

Aren't you a Bengals fan, the Syb? How are you feeling about Dalton these days? Lots of grief was tossed the Seahawks way for passing on him in the draft, mostly by local-living hall-of-fame-access-haver John Clayton.

I don't know, he seems dicey, but I don't see him play that often. A lot of red zone flameouts this week.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He is a Jets fan.

I am a Bengals fan. They were good in the red zone last year, I am guessing they will be fine this year. In fact, the game they won in Baltimore was Seattle-esque - stong defense, mistake-free offense, no big mistakes. Nice road division win. I see no need to apologize for how they got it done.

And I am feeling cautiously optimistic on Dalton being good enough to win a playoff game at some point.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

SandraBernhard wrote:I don't know about all that, just trying to correct the record on horrible throws.

Aren't you a Bengals fan, the Syb? How are you feeling about Dalton these days? Lots of grief was tossed the Seahawks way for passing on him in the draft, mostly by local-living hall-of-fame-access-haver John Clayton.

I don't know, he seems dicey, but I don't see him play that often. A lot of red zone flameouts this week.

Jets fan, and I have hated my team for several years. First time in my life I haven't felt a connection to the team, as there weren't any players I liked. Geno looked like a legitimate NFL QB last week. Not a good one, but serviceable. He missed some open receivers, but he looks a hell of a lot better than last year. Running game and D looked legit, too. But they played the Raiders, so hard to tell which team accounted for the Jets looking decent. 5 or 6 very tough games ahead, so I expect them to be 2-4 at best.

As for Dalton, I think he had big numbers last year only because they threw a ton. I think he is decent, but overrated. I really like watching Wilson. Fun, smart player and seems like a great guy. They use him as a game manager, but he doesn't make mistakes, has a great running game and D, so he does everything asked of him.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hey Sybian - Little known fact is that the Ryan boys lived in Toronto back in the 70s. I was friendly with them back in grades 5 & 6 when they lived around the corner from me.

True story if kind of boring. They were always playing football with the guys in the neighbourhood. One of my best friends was in awe of them because he was a Jets fan and Buddy was coaching the D-Line in New York at the time.

If I really feel like procrastinating, I'll dig through the crates in the basement and get the grade 6 class picture out.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote:If I really feel like procrastinating, I'll dig through the crates in the basement and get the grade 6 class picture out.
Anyone have anything better for Pruitt to do this evening? No?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:
Pruitt wrote:If I really feel like procrastinating, I'll dig through the crates in the basement and get the grade 6 class picture out.
Anyone have anything better for Pruitt to do this evening? No?
See what I can do...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Okay, so this wasn't my class - this is Mr. Brown's grade 6 class at Harrison Road Public School. I was in Mrs. Hansen's class down the hall. (It's a long time ago... memory a bit hazy, but Rex may have been in my Grade 5 class).

Anyway, my buddy Tony (3rd row from bottom, 2nd from the right) scanned this and posted it to a Facebook group a while ago. (Rob and Rex are in the 3rd row from the bottom).

As a side note, we were convinced that Mr. Brown and Mrs. Hansen were having an affair.

And also, I eventually lost my virginity in high school to the girl in the red top, 2nd from left.
Last edited by Pruitt on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

What is that, '74/'75?

And fuck, yeah, Mr Brown was having an affair with someone...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:What is that, '74/'75?

And fuck, yeah, Mr Brown was having an affair with someone...
74/75.

Love his hair.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Mr. Brown should take off his hat when he's inside.

I love that Canadian diversity. There are both boys AND girls!
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:Mr. Brown should take off his hat when he's inside.

I love that Canadian diversity. There are both boys AND girls!
The one black guy in the school was in the other grade 6 class.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Groucho shirt is awesome.

Also quality on the sweater worn by which ever Ryan brother is the front running hockey fan.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rush2112 wrote:The Groucho shirt is awesome.

Also quality on the sweater worn by which ever Ryan brother is the front running hockey fan.
I hope it's baggy enough to hide the effects of the open toed shoes the girl in front of him is wearing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sorority Girl Treatment. Go.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:Sorority Girl Treatment. Go.
2nd from the left in the back row spends her senior year giving out pity fucks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

1st from left, bottom row and 2nd from right, bottom row go on to star in Napoleon Dynamite.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

rass wrote:
I think he lost it to the girl in the first sitting row in red.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, I think the top row red shirt is a dude.

NTTAWWT.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rush2112 wrote:
rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Yeah, I think the top row red shirt is a dude.

NTTAWWT.
Fucking 70s.
SandraBernhard
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SandraBernhard »

tennbengal wrote:He is a Jets fan.

I am a Bengals fan. They were good in the red zone last year, I am guessing they will be fine this year. In fact, the game they won in Baltimore was Seattle-esque - stong defense, mistake-free offense, no big mistakes. Nice road division win. I see no need to apologize for how they got it done.

And I am feeling cautiously optimistic on Dalton being good enough to win a playoff game at some point.

Bengals Seahawks Superbowl! I'm in for that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
This very quickly turned into a great thread. Why does the kid next to the Ryan boys have on a Soda Popinski shirt?
-Pruitt
SandraBernhard
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SandraBernhard »

The Sybian wrote:
SandraBernhard wrote:I don't know about all that, just trying to correct the record on horrible throws.

Jets fan, and I have hated my team for several years. First time in my life I haven't felt a connection to the team, as there weren't any players I liked. Geno looked like a legitimate NFL QB last week. Not a good one, but serviceable. He missed some open receivers, but he looks a hell of a lot better than last year. Running game and D looked legit, too. But they played the Raiders, so hard to tell which team accounted for the Jets looking decent. 5 or 6 very tough games ahead, so I expect them to be 2-4 at best.

As for Dalton, I think he had big numbers last year only because they threw a ton. I think he is decent, but overrated. I really like watching Wilson. Fun, smart player and seems like a great guy. They use him as a game manager, but he doesn't make mistakes, has a great running game and D, so he does everything asked of him.
May your Jets suffering end. There's Pattriot blood in the water, so now is the time. But a pissed off Green Bay team is a tall order for week 2.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:
He's a lawyer. His brother is also a lawyer and a player agent who is a big shot with the NHLPA.

Not sure about the pity fucks.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex is in the Islander shirt.

Groucho shirt is another lawyer and the author of a number of books about hockey. And I play cards with him regularly. And he is now completely bald.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
rass wrote:
You are correct. And I am Facebook friends with her.

It is very sad what 39 years, neuroses and 130 extra pounds do to a woman.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like that I'm not even a little surprised that multiple canadian schoolkids grew up to make a living in/on hockey.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
SandraBernhard
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SandraBernhard »

Pruitt wrote:Okay, so this wasn't my class - this is Mr. Brown's grade 6 class at Harrison Road Public School. I was in Mrs. Hansen's class down the hall. (It's a long time ago... memory a bit hazy, but Rex may have been in my Grade 5 class).

Anyway, my buddy Tony (3rd row from bottom, 2nd from the right) scanned this and posted it to a Facebook group a while ago. (Rob and Rex are in the 3rd row from the bottom).

As a side note, we were convinced that Mr. Brown and Mrs. Hansen were having an affair.

And also, I eventually lost my virginity in high school to the girl in the red top, 2nd from left.
Pretty great that Jim faked his death and became a school teacher. Made my day to learn that, thanks

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spongelikeninja
Jackie Treehorn

Post by spongelikeninja »

rass wrote:

I hope it's baggy enough to hide the effects of the open toed shoes the girl in front of him is wearing.
Had to login to acknowledge this quality reference/callback. Nice work, Rass.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aw, thanks SLN! Nice to to see you.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

SandraBernhard wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Okay, so this wasn't my class - this is Mr. Brown's grade 6 class at Harrison Road Public School. I was in Mrs. Hansen's class down the hall. (It's a long time ago... memory a bit hazy, but Rex may have been in my Grade 5 class).

Pretty great that Jim faked his death and became a school teacher. Made my day to learn that, thanks

That is fantastic. I didn't recognize Jim with the extra half-inch of hair. Brilliant disguise.
-Pruitt
SandraBernhard
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SandraBernhard »

The Sybian wrote:
SandraBernhard wrote:

That is fantastic. I didn't recognize Jim with the extra half-inch of hair. Brilliant disguise.
I did the hair math and it all checks out
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Who invited the new guy?

(Avatar is a welcome add)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:
(Avatar is a welcome add)
Really? That "woman" frightens me.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Looks pretty on my little tablet screen. Eh.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."