Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Roger Godell's Terrible No Good Bad Day - the Rice video

Post by mister d »

Goodell: "They did."

[several sources prove they didn't]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse in Texas
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Don't tell me Mara and Rooney got their names drawn out of a hat.
Or someone is a fan of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse in Texas

Welp. This should be not fun
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ugh. I've always been shocked by the amount of latitude Florida courts (both criminal and family) have given parents to corporally punish their children. That being said, I'm still pretty sure Florida would charge him with a crime for this too.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The NFL could always go into business as a law professor, they are geniuses at tweaking the fact pattern.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

And yeah, I did have to look it up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man, fuck Peterson. A 4 year old???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

So who has picked a switch before? Mind fuck I tell you.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I've had to get my own switch before.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

New details, just keeps looking worse and worse

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/ ... t-charges/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Blech.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

In all seriousness you can't get in someone else's family. Children even more helpless than the wife. Tough call. Are you trying to teach a lesson or be a menace? Thin line. I'd rather you judge than I.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck that. You cause lacerations and bruises on a 4 year old, I'm comfortable judging the shit out of him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Note that "blech" was for the description of the kid's injuries and his age.

Honestly, I'm not sure where I come down in general on physical punishment of kids (I mean, I guess I do because we don't do it, but I was spanked occasionally, and our principal had a paddle in elementary school, so it's not shocking and I guess I can accept it happens within a reasonable threshold) but he's right:
@bomani_jones: lotta ppl are gonna switch from why you can’t hit a woman, but it’s ok to beat a child. and it’s gonna get real confusing.
\nopun?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

mister d wrote:Fuck that. You cause lacerations and bruises on a 4 year old, I'm comfortable judging the shit out of him.
+1

And the writer of the article tweeted that the pictures are a week old. How bad were the injuries when they were fresh?

Punishment is a tricky thing, there is a lot of judgement (both ways) in the spanking vs non-spanking parenting styles. But when you are leaving marks like that on a little kid you are WAY over the line.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'd like to think that this one falls outside of any wider debate.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

As far as the debate is concerned, though, one rule seems good to me: use your hands. Then you'll know when it hurts.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

HaulCitgo wrote:So who has picked a switch before? Mind fuck I tell you.
Me. But only once. Quick learner.

ETA: but only because I didn't have Hot Wheels as toys. Anyone spanked with a Hot Wheels track?

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah I'd agree that hot wheels and belts are excessive. But then that makes a switch seem ok. Hard truth is it depends on the family situation. If you're in danger of Ferguson style retribution them hot wheels seems minor. For upper class standards a switch (not a tree branch) seems ok. Parents have the most info about their situation and that's why you have to give the benefit of the doubt.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Yeah, let's give men the benefit of the doubt for disciplining their wives too.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Indeed. Terrible folk. Its hard to know.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not causing lacerations on a 4 year old is more or less the easiest thing to know in the fucking world.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I mean, can you even imagine if I walked up to a 29 year old man and started whipping him with a goddamn tree branch? That would be tremendously over the line. But a 4 year old? Well, they are blood relatives ...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

His "Whoops, lol" texts to the mother are nice.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

HaulCitgo wrote:In all seriousness you can't get in someone else's family. Children even more helpless than the wife. Tough call. Are you trying to teach a lesson or be a menace? Thin line. I'd rather you judge than I.
Think of all the other ways a parent could teach a lesson. Now think of all the other ways a parent could be a menace. Which side does this one more closely resemble? Check out the photo first if that helps.

In my opinion

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My favorite detail, thus far:
Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah I hear you. Its just a sad state of affairs with wife beating and children abusing. But somehow its a uniquely personal matter that I don't claim to know better than someone else. Its fucked up I guess but you do have certain domineering rights against a child if its of a certain relation. Its just kind of inherent that you should not abuse that right for personal reasons.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Totally bummed out Vikings fan here. Also, father of a four year old boy. I can't imagine beating my son with a switch. Horrible.

Wasn't Peterson's other kid beaten to death last year by a different man? Jesus. In light of the Rice thing, he's gonna get cut. Crazy. Fucked up.

On a cynical note, the Vikings probably found the excuse they need to get out of that horrible contract they gave him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
mister d wrote:(I'm also kinda dreading the NHL reaching the point where I either can't watch in good conscience or have to pull a J-Lo.)
Seriously...go fuck yourself.
There are good priest and good catholics, J-Lo ; )
If I don't watch NFL games in spite of not having a Nielsen box but I still check my fantasy score, am I still a horrible human being? What's a satisfactory level of boycott for you where my morals will still meet your incredibly admirable standards?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

BTW way, and not to make this religious, but I'm hearing a lot of the people defending Rice and AP leading with "I don't believe in domestic violence and I don't believe in child abuse." When the fuck did these things become a matter of belief? WE have documented proof of these things occurring. When did domestic violence become the tooth fairy?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote:Yeah, let's give men the benefit of the doubt for disciplining their wives too.
This could become a can of worms that will make the league wish it never stopped suspending players. And maybe it should let the law deal with bad apples. However, that's not happening anytime soon and as a result we have seen Ray Rice banished for punching an adult, and Michael Vick suspended "indefinitely" for torturing and killing dogs.

So then, what is the suspension for a man who systematically tortures and beats children?

And this particular can of worms will be crazy as there are people who believe in corporal punishment. I don't, and never hit my kids, but am not a zealot who thinks that spanking is heinous. But this is going to cause a huge debate.

But what Peterson did - regardless of intent - is sickening. It isn't "discipline" that will remind a child not to behave in an extreme way. It is abuse that will leave permanent scars.

And this is a 4 year old not a ten year old who has a well developed concept of right and wrong. And Daddy Peterson whips him repeatedly with a "switch?"

In a moral world, his penalty would be more severe than Ray Rice's. Janay Palmer knows how to contact the police, or lawyers in order to protect herself. A nursery school-aged child does not. If Vick is suspended for killing dogs, Peterson should be shut down.

Or, the NFL could just stop suspending players for off field behavior. Which right now, I'll bet the brains at the league office wish was the route the NFL had taken.

This could get real ugly.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote:If I don't watch NFL games in spite of not having a Nielsen box but I still check my fantasy score, am I still a horrible human being? What's a satisfactory level of boycott for you where my morals will still meet your incredibly admirable standards?
I would never ask you to make such an extreme sacrifice, J-Lo. Just listen to your heart.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Weatherfrog wrote:Wasn't Peterson's other kid beaten to death last year by a different man? Jesus. In light of the Rice thing, he's gonna get cut. Crazy. Fucked up.
Reading about this story threw me off. I had to Google to make sure that he had a 2 year old that was beaten to death. This CNN report turn up. So yea, I wasn't hallucinating. Just how fucked up is this dude?

I've never had children and I cannot possibly understand the thought process to beating one. My ex had a 4 year old when I met her. When he was a pain in the ass we'd put a dot on the wall and make him stand on his tiptoes to keep his nose placed on it. I couldn't imagine hitting that kid. He was a bit hyper, but nothing that would ever merit something like this. This story is exceptionally repulsive. The Vikings need to act extremely fast here. He simply cannot be employed further. In the real world you'd lose your job. That has to happen here.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Roger Godell's Terrible No Good Bad (Infinity) - the who

Post by bfj »

Pretty sure the kid charged at him.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Weatherfrog wrote: On a cynical note, the Vikings probably found the excuse they need to get out of that horrible contract they gave him.
Beat me to it.

EDIT: Pun not intended haahhaaa
Last edited by Gunpowder on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:BTW way, and not to make this religious, but I'm hearing a lot of the people defending Rice and AP leading with "I don't believe in domestic violence and I don't believe in child abuse." When the fuck did these things become a matter of belief? WE have documented proof of these things occurring. When did domestic violence become the tooth fairy?

Way too many people are cool with this AP thing. I am reading so many stupid comments about this being Vaginica and not America anymore and anecdotal things about how some borderline retard got beaten as a kid and he turned out ok so relax, and "you can't tell me how to discipline my kids"...which is the slipperiest of slippery slopes. I'm convinced half of PFT commenters regularly destroy their kids. That's why this current generation is so so soft and a bunch of criminals because, well, obviously we invented crime.

I got beat like a normal kid and didn't have broken skin and cuts and stuff. But my brother got beaten like this kid once and it was sickening. The memory of finding him sitting in a chair behind a door bleeding all over still pops in my head from time to time, including now. This is not ok and unfortunately most of the people ok with it already procreated.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

bfj wrote:Pretty sure the kid charged at him.
we'll never know until tmz finds the tapes.

and completely agree with gunpowder. Instead of repulsion, I'm seeing a bunch of nonsense about how assault is just some good ole parentin'
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"Please be a seven-year suspension" - New York Post

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote:
bfj wrote:Pretty sure the kid charged at him.
we'll never know until tmz finds the tapes.

and completely agree with gunpowder. Instead of repulsion, I'm seeing a bunch of nonsense about how assault is just some good ole parentin'
As am I. I get that a lot of people think corporal punishment has value, but we're talking about a 4 year old here. How is it even debatable whether it's okay to inflict injuries like that on a child that young?