Roger Godell's Terrible No Good Bad (Infinity) - the whoopin

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Roger Godell's Terrible No Good Bad (Infinity) - the who

Post by howard »

bfj wrote:Pretty sure the kid charged at him.
Oh, I wanted so badly to post that. But I am glad I deferred; much funnier when you tell it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote:
EdRomero wrote:
we'll never know until tmz finds the tapes.

and completely agree with gunpowder. Instead of repulsion, I'm seeing a bunch of nonsense about how assault is just some good ole parentin'
As am I. I get that a lot of people think corporal punishment has value, but we're talking about a 4 year old here. How is it even debatable whether it's okay to inflict injuries like that on a child that young?
And corporal punishment should mean a spank. A professional athlete whipping the hell out of a 4 year old is criminal.

The pictures are heartrending, the kid's back is ripped up and there are bruises across his legs and even his scrotum was hurt. AND he said his father hit him in the face.

There will always be contrarians and trolls, but any parent - even those who believe in corporal punishment - who sees these pictures and feels that Peterson is being unfairly pilloried is a fucking moron.

One thing people should ask when it's a case of child or spousal abuse is "Would the actions be acceptable if they were done by a stranger?"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You ever notice that every person that's ever been hit as a kid thinks they're better off because of it? Isn't that indirectly condoning hitting your kid?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

to Ray Rice and the Rice family,

hi im srry to hear about the events that have happened. when i first saw the elevator segment this morning on the news i thought they were talking about the centerplate ceo who beat his dog. then they said ur name and ur wife i dont know what happened but whatever the problem was it should have been dealt with in another fashion. i grew up watching jim brown, oj simpson and football players up to this day and i can honestly say that ray was the most energetic...im gonna give it my all type of player he was the greatest in my opinion i will miss u much ray just like the rest of knights may you be the greatest champ in heaven next to god and im sure he will protect you as well. to mrs. rice and ap’s child may god be with them as well...we love u ray and we will be waiting ur return to the field..........
Popin' ain't easy
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:to Ray Rice and the Rice family,

hi im srry to hear about the events that have happened. when i first saw the elevator segment this morning on the news i thought they were talking about the centerplate ceo who beat his dog. then they said ur name and ur wife i dont know what happened but whatever the problem was it should have been dealt with in another fashion. i grew up watching jim brown, oj simpson and football players up to this day and i can honestly say that ray was the most energetic...im gonna give it my all type of player he was the greatest in my opinion i will miss u much ray just like the rest of knights may you be the greatest champ in heaven next to god and im sure he will protect you as well. to mrs. rice and ap’s child may god be with them as well...we love u ray and we will be waiting ur return to the field..........
Oh my god, I love you.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote:
Joe K wrote:
EdRomero wrote:
we'll never know until tmz finds the tapes.

and completely agree with gunpowder. Instead of repulsion, I'm seeing a bunch of nonsense about how assault is just some good ole parentin'
As am I. I get that a lot of people think corporal punishment has value, but we're talking about a 4 year old here. How is it even debatable whether it's okay to inflict injuries like that on a child that young?
And corporal punishment should mean a spank. A professional athlete whipping the hell out of a 4 year old. . . . One thing people should ask when it's a case of child or spousal abuse is "Would the actions be acceptable if they were done by a stranger?"
Good point. I wonder how many of the people defending Peterson would be okay with it if their kid came home from preschool looking like that? They'd be ripshit, and want the teacher fired and prosecuted, regardless of how their child was acting and why the teacher decided to "discipline" him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:You ever notice that every person that's ever been hit as a kid thinks they're better off because of it? Isn't that indirectly condoning hitting your kid?
Kinda like victims in domestic abuse defending, staying with, and marrying their abuser.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Love you.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

All of these proud Patriotic parents must think this is great child-rearing:

Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:
Love you.
Not what you were saying the other day. Witch hunter.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

How can anyone defend this guy? He hit a 4 year old (!!!!!) multiple times with a stick! And has done it before (according to the kid). That's not discipline, that's child abuse, and he needs to go to jail.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Whoa...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Ravens and the NFL didn't need to see that video to be moved to action. The Ravens and the NFL needed the public to see that video to be moved to action.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Cris Carter lauded the Panthers for acting swiftly in deactivating Hardy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:Cris Carter lauded the Panthers for acting swiftly in deactivating Hardy.
As a opposed to taking three hours to write his name on the inactive sheet.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Are those whoopin' odds for his other kids at the end?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I can't see it because Twitter. Don't even tell me it's the one about if you spare the rod, you spoil the child.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its actually Peterson declaring himself god.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So Ray Rice is appealing his indefinite suspension. You'd think he has no case but the added on suspension wasn't for DV...it was because Rice lied to them about the details of what happened and rather than look at the video evidence, the NFL decided that the best course of action was to just take the defendant's word for it. Problem is, Bisciotti, Newsome, and Harbaugh were all in that meeting as well and they claimed that they didn't need to look at the tape because what Rice described was exactly what's on the tape. He actually has a case, here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And when the union takes Rice's case, the PA takes some of the evil off Goodell.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rice is a fucking dirtbag, but it's hard to argue why he should be suspended for more than 6 games (and that's assuming you think applying the "new" domestic violence standard to him despite his already having only been suspended for 2 games is fair, which is a whole other argument.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Which leads us back to the fact that Godell is a complete idiot who could not have possibly handled this thing any worse.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pruitt wrote:Which leads us back to the fact that Godell is a complete idiot who could not have possibly handled this thing any worse.
Right. Everything he does and says just puts them in a deeper hole.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe they saw MLB giving a guy they super-duper hate 6x the suspension they gave other guys who committed the same word of mouth infraction and wanted to follow suit?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oof...

Today's decision was made after significant thought, discussion and consideration. As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday's game, this is clearly a very important issue. On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved.

To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child. At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian's fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Any thoughts that there may be a bounty on Peterson in upcoming games?

And just when you thought Godell couldn't be in a worse position...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pruitt wrote:Any thoughts that there may be a bounty on Peterson in upcoming games?

Are you misspelling Goodell's name on accident or are you just implying that he has a god complex?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've been surprised at the number of people defending AP. I expected a few saying it's ok to beat your children, but there are a lot of comments saying it's wrong NOT to hit your kids. Maybe child hitters feel compelled to justify this to themselves or defend their parenting and others don't feel the need to vent about a guy they don't know hitting his kid. I will say, an overwhelming number of defenders of hitting children are black. Is this a cultural thing? Most of the commenters cite being hit as a kid teaching them. The other repeating theme is that it is "necessary to hit in order to discipline" and "time outs don't work." That is just lazy parenting. Sure, it is a lot easy to give a smack than force a kid into time out and explain why they shouldn't do what they did. And you need to keep explaining until they get it.

My favorite comment was on a youtube video of Chris Carter's emotional statement. I thought he was fantastic, but I loved seeing the discomfort on the rest of the panel. They just wanted to shut him up and move on. The comment blamed the Liberal mindset of not hitting children for pretty much all of societies woes. He detailed specifics of how his parents physically abused him, then cited the US as having the highest prison rates in the world being a direct result of not hitting kids. He then explained that not hitting kids leaves them lacking a sense of right and wrong and leading them down a path of crime. So much wrong with this, I can't even begin to comment.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I really don't have any problem with the use of a switch, but this admittedly went too far.

If using a switch is a prosecutable offense, my entire family would have served hard time.

Note: I have never used a switch on my children, mind you, I'm just not going to get worked up over how other people want to raise their children.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Any thoughts that there may be a bounty on Peterson in upcoming games?

Are you misspelling Goodell's name on accident or are you just implying that he has a god complex?
A Freudian slip.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB_skin_test wrote:I really don't have any problem with the use of a switch, but this admittedly went too far.

If using a switch is a prosecutable offense, my entire family would have served hard time.

Note: I have never used a switch on my children, mind you, I'm just not going to get worked up over how other people want to raise their children.
I agree. I didn't spank my daughter, either, mind you. But, I think we need to separate the issue of spanking vs. the issue of abuse. This clearly is a case of abuse, and the strawman defense of corporal punishment is apples and oranges.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I really don't have any problem with the use of a switch, but this admittedly went too far.

I agree. I didn't spank my daughter, either, mind you. But, I think we need to separate the issue of spanking vs. the issue of abuse. This clearly is a case of abuse, and the strawman defense of corporal punishment is apples and oranges.
Very good point and one that seems to be lost somehow on many people.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thirded or fourthed. If I see the softened phrase "spanked with a switch" one more time, I'll lose my f'ing mind.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote:
Jerloma wrote:

A Freudian slip.
It's was an intentional thing when TB started the thread. Did you both miss that?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

mister d wrote:Thirded or fourthed. If I see the softened phrase "spanked with a switch" one more time, I'll lose my f'ing mind.
fifthed

that and "Tearing up that butt".
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Vikings reinstating AP is one of the stupidest, worst things I have ever seen in sports. How fucking stupid can you be?

He hit the 4yo child in the scrotum, with a stick, causing bleeding. He admitted to this, as well as to causing other wounds. No other facts nor arguments mitigate this simple set of facts.

Millions of Americans vigorously defend this violence against children, and the violence against women. Motivated in large part by, Football.

And I am too cynical.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:And I am too cynical.
So you don't believe he Vikes' GM when he says it has "nothing to do with him (Peterson) as a football player"?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Oh and I guess John Oliver took on Scottish independence. Now you know where HBO stands.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

"But c'mon, he's good" -- Vikes GM