College Football August/September 2014

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: College Football August/September 2014

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote:
rass wrote:I'm assuming PSU/RU. My wife's boss had a couple of extra tickets he was trying offload for face value ($100 each) and wasn't having any luck, either.
That was going to be my guess. The non-rivalry that wants to be a rivalry.
I think only one side wants it to be a rivalry.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
rass wrote:I'm assuming PSU/RU. My wife's boss had a couple of extra tickets he was trying offload for face value ($100 each) and wasn't having any luck, either.
That was going to be my guess. The non-rivalry that wants to be a rivalry.
I think only one side wants it to be a rivalry.
(Yes, that's what I was referring to. I see how ambiguous my post was)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, UCLA wins the coin toss and defers to the second half. The Texas captains (perhaps misunderstanding their option) choose to start the game by kicking off. So, UCLA will receive the kicks to start each half. Not surprisingly, the announcers said Charlie Strong was mad at his captains.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

There are places where it is cold right now?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

If this UK-Florida game keeps it up, I worry for AB's and Bensell's liver.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm sure AB's is OK at least. Maybe worry about phxgator:
@phxgator wrote:Coincidentally, I just switched to liquor.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

doink. Did McGuinnis call bank? (KU just tied Gators at 20, four minutes left.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

BC beating USC makes no sense
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EdRomero wrote:BC beating USC makes no sense
I watched a bit of the Pitt game last week, so YEAH.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That Georgia kicker's marks are going to suffer.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

It was RU/PSU...

I was trying to give it away, though. Just a little more room for me in the end.

Hell of a game.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

rass wrote:I'm sure AB's is OK at least. Maybe worry about phxgator:
My liver may not survive the Will Muschamp era.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

phxgators wrote:
rass wrote:I'm sure AB's is OK at least. Maybe worry about phxgator:
My liver may not survive the Will Muschamp era.
Sorry to hear that you only have a week to live.

Dude cannot coach.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Yeah, this week at Alabama should be... fun.

If we lost, would he have been fired by now? We fired Zook early in the season, but would we have done that after 2 games? Losing to Alabama won't be a surprise, so we're just waiting for which loss is the "right" loss to cause him to be fired.

My prediction? After Georgia destroys us on Nov 1. (After losses to Alabama, LSU, and one of Tennessee/Missouri)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

phxgators wrote:Yeah, this week at Alabama should be... fun.

If we lost, would he have been fired by now? We fired Zook early in the season, but would we have done that after 2 games? Losing to Alabama won't be a surprise, so we're just waiting for which loss is the "right" loss to cause him to be fired.

My prediction? After Georgia destroys us on Nov 1. (After losses to Alabama, LSU, and one of Tennessee/Missouri)
I know it's Florida and the bar is pretty high, but if you're going to fire him for losses to Florida, Georgia and LSU y'all should have just fired him after last year. That schedule is a gauntlet. They could quite likely be 7-4 with all four losses to top 7/8 teams. And what then?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

brian wrote:
phxgators wrote:Yeah, this week at Alabama should be... fun.

I know it's Florida and the bar is pretty high, but if you're going to fire him for losses to Florida, Georgia and LSU y'all should have just fired him after last year. That schedule is a gauntlet. They could quite likely be 7-4 with all four losses to top 7/8 teams. And what then?
If we can do that, I'm ok with it as long as we're competitive in those losses. I think he *should* have been fired after last season because of finishing with 7 straight losses, including to Vandy and Georgia Southern at home. I know it's early, and having our first game cancelled didn't help, but I just don't think there's going to be enough improvement to be competitive.

I'd love for things to click and for everything to work out for Muschamp. I think he's a good guy and really wants to do well. I think he's just in over his head.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

This sums up my concerns about Florida football right now. I don't think Muschamp is the answer, but who can we reasonably expect to get to replace him?

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/16/could- ... nd-others/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Television revenue has been an equalizer. Every big five school has facilities. Nearly every school can offer competitive wages. It’s nice being at Texas, USC or Michigan. But, it’s not necessary. Michigan State and Stanford have had sustained national success. Good big five coaches will prove difficult to pluck. There is no obvious “Charlie Strong” or “Chris Petersen” waiting on the outside this year. The potential market does not have a no-brainer candidate who would definitely take a new job, or anything close to one.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

phxgators wrote:This sums up my concerns about Florida football right now. I don't think Muschamp is the answer, but who can we reasonably expect to get to replace him?

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/16/could- ... nd-others/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Television revenue has been an equalizer. Every big five school has facilities. Nearly every school can offer competitive wages. It’s nice being at Texas, USC or Michigan. But, it’s not necessary. Michigan State and Stanford have had sustained national success. Good big five coaches will prove difficult to pluck. There is no obvious “Charlie Strong” or “Chris Petersen” waiting on the outside this year. The potential market does not have a no-brainer candidate who would definitely take a new job, or anything close to one.
The Michigan blogs are lamenting the same thing. I still think that Florida could throw enough money at a Mark Dantonio if you wanted someone like that though. Dantonio obviously isn't an option for Michigan. He could be for Florida though.

ETA: This will probably give DSafe a laugh, but things are in fact so bad out there that Scott Shafer was discussed as a possible candidate to replace Brady Hoke and it wasn't met with laughs or derision.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

brian wrote:
phxgators wrote:This sums up my concerns about Florida football right now. I don't think Muschamp is the answer, but who can we reasonably expect to get to replace him?

The Michigan blogs are lamenting the same thing. I still think that Florida could throw enough money at a Mark Dantonio if you wanted someone like that though. Dantonio obviously isn't an option for Michigan. He could be for Florida though.

ETA: This will probably give DSafe a laugh, but things are in fact so bad out there that Scott Shafer was discussed as a possible candidate to replace Brady Hoke and it wasn't met with laughs or derision.
Dantonio would actually be #1 on my list. I work with a couple of MSU alumni and I've been giving them a rough time about how great he'd look in orange and blue. I'm just not sure he'd leave at this point.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, I'm not sure really. I don't know if he's been pursued for other jobs. It's been hidden pretty well if he has. I know he's only compensated reasonably well. Florida could probably double his salary and still come under what Strong, Saban, Stoops et al are paid. He'd have to at least think about a job at Florida.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

So Winston doesn't get punished for alleged sexual assault or for shoplifting. But yell an obscenity and THAT warrants a suspension?

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/17/jameis ... omD46.uxfs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Losing a big game to a favored Georgia team should be grounds for dismissal. It's hard to out-choke the Bulldogs. Bet against them in every big game and you'll make money.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

phxgators wrote:So Winston doesn't get punished for alleged sexual assault or for shoplifting. But yell an obscenity and THAT warrants a suspension?

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/17/jameis ... omD46.uxfs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The whole one half thing is pretty stupid too. If they were playing Charleston Southern or Wake Forest how much you want to bet he's suspended an entire game.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

phxgators wrote:So Winston doesn't get punished for alleged sexual assault or for shoplifting. But yell an obscenity and THAT warrants a suspension?

I guess this was the meme?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It was indeed.

And kinda funny the first few times.

Less so coming from a guy who has been accused of rape...
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I was wrong. It sounds like this one is a better match.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:ETA: This will probably give DSafe a laugh, but things are in fact so bad out there that Scott Shafer was discussed as a possible candidate to replace Brady Hoke and it wasn't met with laughs or derision.
The funny thing is that there are some Syracuse fans who are afraid that if they go 8-4 this year, he'll get pulled away by some Big Ten school because he's a midwest guy (born in Ohio, played and mostly coached in midwest).

Of course, he was scapegoated by some for how bad the defense was at Michigan in his one season as coordinator under Rich Rodriguez.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:ETA: This will probably give DSafe a laugh, but things are in fact so bad out there that Scott Shafer was discussed as a possible candidate to replace Brady Hoke and it wasn't met with laughs or derision.
The funny thing is that there are some Syracuse fans who are afraid that if they go 8-4 this year, he'll get pulled away by some Big Ten school because he's a midwest guy (born in Ohio, played and mostly coached in midwest).

Of course, he was scapegoated by some for how bad the defense was at Michigan in his one season as coordinator under Rich Rodriguez.
Yeah, with the passing of time and more information, most UM fans realize that was all Rodriguez. Shafer was buttonholed into running the 3-3-5. If Rodriguez would have let a competent DC do his own thing, he might still be coaching at Michigan.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Yeah, with the passing of time and more information, most UM fans realize that was all Rodriguez. Shafer was buttonholed into running the 3-3-5. If Rodriguez would have let a competent DC do his own thing, he might still be coaching at Michigan.
I like Shafer probably more than I should due to his personality, but his defense (and it is his philosophy - he ran it four years as coordinator and now has a friend as his coordinator running the same style) has one glaring hole. It is ultra-aggressiv with constant blitzes and they have the worst time with athletic quarterbacks. Villanova's QB ate them up and should have had an upset in the opener.

Having elite athletes at DE and OLB at a place like Michigan (better than what he's working with at Syracuse, anyway) could make a positive change for him, though.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So Fameis Jameis has to be costing himself draft position at this point. He's nuke laloosh. Million dollar arm, five cent head.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So any of y'all who I'm friends with on Facebook are aware I was in Mount Pleasant last week for the CMU-Syracuse football game. We won't talk about the result of that, but having been gone from Michigan for so long and living 2,000 miles away made for a kind of jarring experience.

We actually have a CMU alumni club chapter in Las Vegas* and we have viewing parties for the football games we get on TV, get together for a Triple AAA baseball game or hockey game or family picnic every now and then, but it was a completely weird mindfuck to be in a stadium with 30,000 Central fans (well, 29,000 CMU fans and 1,000 Syracuse fans) and go to bars afterwards with CMU gear and apparel everywhere and CMU flags and memorabilia in the bars. Talking about the coaching situation with random strangers at the bar.

When you go to a mid-major college program like I did in an insanely small town (pop 23,000 or so), you become accustomed to being ignored. I've had to correct the same co-worker about a dozen times that I didn't go to school in Kalamazoo (that's our hated rival) and she's actually a huge college football fan (though from Georgia).

I've tried to talk about this with a friend out here who went to Michigan, but he doesn't get it. There's bars here (and in Phoenix and LA and Portland and every other damn place) that have NOTHING but UM stuff all over the walls. If not for the searing heat when you walk outside you'd think you were in Ann Arbor. I guess I just envy that a little. It was nice to feel at home again, if only for a day.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

* - There's more CMU alumni in Las Vegas that you would probably think. Roughly 500-600 by recent estimate. The school district out here in the boom times used to recruit heavily from the Midwest and Central has an outstanding teaching/education program. We'll get pretty decent turnouts at a lot of our alumni events, but it's almost all middle-aged teachers who drink a couple of beers and bail at halftime.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(And yes, I'm officially middle-aged, but I drink 12 beers and start motherfucking the coaching by the fourth quarter. So big difference.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:(And yes, I'm officially middle-aged, but I drink 12 beers and start motherfucking the coaching by the fourth quarter. So big difference.)
I'm about 98% sure of this. Brian sent me the "that sucked" concession text after the third quarter.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

K-State's kicker is killing them.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:(And yes, I'm officially middle-aged, but I drink 12 beers and start motherfucking the coaching by the fourth quarter. So big difference.)
I'm about 98% sure of this. Brian sent me the "that sucked" concession text after the third quarter.
Can't drink on campus in the state of Michigan. I'm legit glad I didn't drink before that game. I Mighta got banned from Kelly/Shorts for life.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jameis out entire game against Clemson now. Unless FSU changes its mind and only suspends him for a play tomorrow.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:Jameis out entire game against Clemson now. Unless FSU changes its mind and only suspends him for a play tomorrow.
I'm curious if there's another shoe about to drop on this story, such as additional developments related to FSU's ongoing Title IX investigation into the sexual assault allegations. Having read the entire police file when it was released publicly, I think Winston could have easily been criminally charged, and it wouldn't shock me if the school hands down a lengthy suspension in connection with the Title IX investigation.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote:
brian wrote:Jameis out entire game against Clemson now. Unless FSU changes its mind and only suspends him for a play tomorrow.
I'm curious if there's another shoe about to drop on this story, such as additional developments related to FSU's ongoing Title IX investigation into the sexual assault allegations. Having read the entire police file when it was released publicly, I think Winston could have easily been criminally charged, and it wouldn't shock me if the school hands down a lengthy suspension in connection with the Title IX investigation.
The rumors I heard was that he tried to lie his way out of this issue and this is the "punishment" for that. You might be right about there being future repercussions about the Title IX investigation though. One thing for sure is that this kid needs to get his head screwed on straight and fast because he's costing himself millions of dollars.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Lying/downplaying/whatever to people who have supported you throughout your transgressions is a really, really stupid thing to do.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Brontoburglar wrote:Lying/downplaying/whatever to people who have supported you throughout your transgressions is a really, really stupid thing to do.
Agreed. And I don't care that it's an internet meme, publicly yelling "fuck her right in the pussy" when you've been (credibly) accused of sexual assault and your school is conducting an investigation into that alleged assault is also staggeringly stupid.