Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: This Time It's Real

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
1. Good job!

2. Have there been widespread studies on the effect of antidepressants and appetite/weight loss and gain? That seems fascinating. (If there have been, I certainly have not seen them.)
Almost all anti-depressants cause weight gain. I have friends who have gained as much as 60 pounds after going on anti-depressants. That was a pretty girl in college, so I can't imagine that helped her depression much. She had a hard time taking it off afterwards, too. Not sure about any studies, but it is very common for many. Wellbutrin is the only one I know of that doesn't cause weight gain. I don't think it is an increased appetite or increased calorie intake issue. I don't know what the mechanism is that causes this.

ETA: started this post before Howard's
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Shirley »

Doc, I'm curious why you had to quit basketball at a relatively young age. Knees? Feet? Would dropping this weight help with that so you could play again?
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yup, weight gain and can also make it difficult for the peep to work. Neither of which cause depression, to be sure...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:Doc, I'm curious why you had to quit basketball at a relatively young age. Knees? Feet? Would dropping this weight help with that so you could play again?
I had an odd* injury that made me quit. I ruptured a bursa just outside the knee capsule (doing squats on a reverse incline--wtf was I thinking.) As the acute injury healed, scar tissue entrapped the peroneal nerve. At one point I could not walk five blocks to the subway--I had to take the bus those five blocks. And getting up or down the stairs would take ten minutes and lots of pain.

I was lucky to have an old-school ortho who made the diagnosis (when the MRI showed nothing definitive, just a little smudge that we saw looking at the film a second time, after he had made the diagnosis,) and he treated it effectively with cortisone injections. But no more hoops, no more bowling, no more running. Any LE activity would cause the pain to flare up, and most days there was some ache there, but tolerable. Even walking more than 1/2 a mile would trigger soreness for a couple of days.

Now the really funny part. I started doing that atlas stone lifting last year.
old thread

After three or four of those workouts, the old injury was getting quite painful, and I figured I was going to have to give up that weight training activity. Then I felt a 'POP', right at the site of the scar tissue. But no increase in the pain.

Next morning, the pain from that scar was gone. For the first time in 14 years, just fucking gone. Since then, occasional soreness that doesn't last more than a few days. I've been able to resume bowling, and I can walk unlimited by the old pain.

About three months ago, I played some half-court. Nothing broke or got hurt. No wind, no leg strength, but I'm working on that. I will be returning to hoops. However, since age 30 my achilles/calf line has been a problem area. I am confident if I start playing, I am destined to snap my achilles.

*I have established pattern of generally excellent health, punctuated by occasional weird-assed maladies, fortunately short lived and self limited. A spontaneous hemmorage of an adrenal gland. Severe withdrawal from a routinely-prescribed antidepressant, leaving me bedridden for two weeks. I couldn't even be an ordinary junkie, hooked on heroin or oxys--the exotic pharmaceutical opiate fentanyl. Can't be ordinary.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:Are you focusing entirely on the type of food you eat (per your description), or are you also trying to hit a calorie target?
Just the type. Greens and protein, no skimping on the good fats (butter, bacon fat, grapeseed oil, olive oil, full-fat yogurt). No calorie count, although I am writing down nearly everything I eat, using this website: https://www.loseit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it counts my calories, but I significantly underestimate. Maybe when I get to the final ten pounds I'll count, but I doubt it.
What are you doing to get the protein required for exercise to build muscle mass?

I have not given this any thought. Spring a year ago, I was doing the atlas stones lifting pretty regularly for about three months. I found myself having more of an appetite for meat/fish, and I fed it.

I eat a lot of fish. I have a bad habit of often eating only one full, proper meal in a day, with a light second meal, and grazing the rest of the day on nuts/fruit. But even that one meal tends to have a big portion of salmon or pork, like 8-12 ounces. Or more. I tend to eat a lot of peanut butter, almonds, pistachios, pecans and cashews, some protein in those.

I'll think about this once I mix the weight training back into my program (prob next week.) Maybe be conscious of two fish/meat servings a day. But in the past, I've just kinda self-regulated.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Full fat yogurt is the best. I get the Cabot brand 10%. I'm thinking of making my own soon from an old Michael Ruhlman recipe, and a starter of the Cabot 10%.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

govmentchedda wrote:Full fat yogurt is the best.
It has been the bridge to breaking my addiction to ice cream The methadone.

(Although I wouldn't bet against a relapse.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Full-fat yogurt? That stuff tastes more like ice cream than most of the ice cream in the supermarket. I'm gonna have to get on that diet you guys are on.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

No sugar. I am fortunate that Splenda® tastes very much like sugar to my tongue (many people, if not most, find it tastes like shit.) Sometimes a little bit of honey to sweeten the yogurt.

But eating fat without any carbs accompanying it works.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Throw whole raw almonds and a fruit in there. It's fantastic.

Or, put it in a smoothie with an apple, banana, peach, strawberries, raw almonds, kale and ice. That's my go to breakfast.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Sweet, lost 30 lbs. I can finally fit in my white Ray Rice jersey...oh wait
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Ran a 10K this AM and was with a bunch of hardcore runners in my pace group. Here I am all decked out in my pullover, hat and gym shorts and then you've got all these people around me in tank tops and running shorts. (7:05 pace and it was consistent! I am really excited about that.)

It was a fun experience to see that culture for the first time in a while. It was good prep for the half marathon in a month. I'm sure I'll feel even more out of place there, but that'll be the fun part.

(I also nerded out too much looking at the body types of all the people around me. Not too often as a non-"runner" that you get to see a bunch of them in the same spot. A lot different looking people than in the gym.)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I remember running a Ragnar in Las Vegas on my mid tour from Korea and all I didn't do much running. I still fared well and was excited that I was in good enough shape to get through it. I was in the same mindset as you when it comes to body types. I wasn't used to smaller people.

Good job on the 10K. And good luck on the half. I've never attempted one of those. I'm told if I can run a Ragnar I can run a marathon (not just a half). I find that to be a bit much, really.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is hysterical, btw.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I am doing pretty good at re-establishing gym attendance. Nine of the fourteen days of September. Hitting the heavy bag (six 1.5 minute rounds, 60 sec rest,) squats/lunges with no weights, and swimming are the main features. Some stretching, abdominal planks and crunches, 'shups. I keep telling myself 'your 57yo; take it easy'. (I don't use good grammar/spelling in my internal dialogue.) Feeling good, some little aches. Some of the off days, my body is screaming for a day off (including two straight days off after four straight gym days.)

WIll mix in some picking up of heavy things this week. Also, a couple of friends I used to play hoops with, who are my age, are also working hard at gaining fitness. They work out together 4x a week; I am trying to join them two or three days a week, for peer pressure/encouragement.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

and, after the written admonition to myself to take it easy, pulled a hammie today. from doing a calisthenic too quickly. Not much of a pull--just a tweak. And a reminder.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:I remember running a Ragnar in Las Vegas on my mid tour from Korea and all I didn't do much running. I still fared well and was excited that I was in good enough shape to get through it. I was in the same mindset as you when it comes to body types. I wasn't used to smaller people.

Good job on the 10K. And good luck on the half. I've never attempted one of those. I'm told if I can run a Ragnar I can run a marathon (not just a half). I find that to be a bit much, really.
How many miles do you run in a typical Ragnar? If it's like Bourbon Chase, I was nowhere near prepared to run a marathon or even a half. My longest run for the BC was much shorter and slower than what I'm doing now but I survived with minimal soreness. (Granted, I'm a lot smaller than I was then...)

I'm pretty sure that I could go run 13 miles and make it right now, but that's not my goal. I want to get it in under 1:45 and if I can extrapolate out my 8-mile pacing to 13 throughout the next month I'm in really, really, really good shape of making it under that goal.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote:and, after the written admonition to myself to take it easy, pulled a hammie today. from doing a calisthenic too quickly. Not much of a pull--just a tweak. And a reminder.
what were you doing specifically? Something that (I imagine) put the hammy though a stretch-shortening cycle?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Brontoburglar wrote:…put the hammy though a stretch-shortening cycle?
yup. just bending at the waist, straight legs, touching my toes. Started doing the movement faster than I should've. Just a tweak; pain-free this morning.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:…put the hammy though a stretch-shortening cycle?
yup. just bending at the waist, straight legs, touching my toes. Started doing the movement faster than I should've. Just a tweak; pain-free this morning.
I thought i was about to rip an oblique this morning deadlifting. I was like "what the fuck did I do?" and then realized I forgot to add one of the 5 lb plates to make the number I needed for that set to one side. Put it on and it was like nothing happened.

Bodies are weird sometimes.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Started at 214.2 on July 26, now at 196.6 - 17.6 pounds in two months. Progress. Still working with a trainer twice a week for 30 minute sessions to help with that whole build muscle mass thing, also running and/or swimming 5 times a week. Staying mostly vegan.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kudos. And it sounds like you need some protein to help build muscle. Bronto showed me http://www.truenutrition.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it's awesome. You can craft your own vegan friendly protein powder. (Soy, egg, hemp, & pea work.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

These guys make me feel weak.

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I bought a Fitbit. Tried the sleep monitor thing, but took it off two hours later because thinking about wearing a sleep monitor made it impossible to fall asleep. Supposedly I walked 5 miles and climbed 20 flights of stairs at work today. Now I just need to start running again.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

happy bronto's women's fitness conference weekend where he takes care of logistics for an event with 80some women who lift heavy things!

(no this does not belong in the dating thread)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

80 somethings, huh? An elderly fetish?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tennbengal wrote:80 somethings, huh? An elderly fetish?
Ched and I have philosophical differences
DavidJones
Jackie Treehorn

Post by DavidJones »

I usually workout 6/7 days and have like 1 day, where I eat what I want. McDonalds, KFC,... it's too good to resist :D
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

185 strict press. 225 push press. Both personal bests.

Last night I had pizza, microwave burritos, and beer for dinner.

And, after a long, shitty day of work, it made me happy.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

Johnnie wrote:185 strict press. 225 push press. Both personal bests.

Last night I had pizza, microwave burritos, and beer for dinner.

And, after a long, shitty day of work, it made me happy.
That's what its about, right? Being happy?

Today I ran 6 miles, my best, after running 3 yesterday. 150 pushups, Sally crunch (every morning).

Followed that up by having 2 Doritos taco's and a 7-layer for dinner. Live Mas. That's what the hot sauce packet sez anyway.

A rather unimpressive summary of today's run and pretty picture of Boonton Reservoir!

Check out the route on the map. That's art right there.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice Denis. I didn't know you were this far north. The next time Syb makes plans for a North Jersey Swamp-up before bailing at the last minute, he'll have to make sure he includes you in the disappointment party.

Speaking of tacos and the Parsipanny area, have you ever tried this place? Because I haven't, but I found it a couple of weeks ago and looks interesting.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

rass wrote:Nice Denis. I didn't know you were this far north. The next time Syb makes plans for a North Jersey Swamp-up before bailing at the last minute, he'll have to make sure he includes you in the disappointment party.

Speaking of tacos and the Parsipanny area, have you ever tried this place? Because I haven't, but I found it a couple of weeks ago and looks interesting.
Thanks Rass. Not yet but its on the radar.

We are spoiled in this area. Parsippany is riddled with cultural joints like Garibaldi. There are literally a dozen or more authentic south american, indian and asian restaurants on my street alone. My favorite is a tiny place on Beverwyck called Churasco Grill. Owner is Brazilian, his friggin grandmother greets everyone at the door and is super charming. 10 out of 10 for date night dinner. They're expensive but you will not find better south american food. Highly recommend.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

245 lb clean and jerk. PR for both. Yay!

And I was halfway into completing the clean at 255 when I just lost my balance and fell backward. Luckily I didn't flip out and just timbered realizing the weight would hit the ground before the bar would hit my neck.

But still. That was kinda scary.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Is this true? Whey protein is very bad for you?

http://narcoticnutrition.com/warning-re ... ein-shake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Is this true? Whey protein is very bad for you?

http://narcoticnutrition.com/warning-re ... ein-shake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That article looks like a load of bullshit to me. They may have some valid points about the over-processed form of whey protein, but it certainly doesn't cause those weird distended stomachs. Think about it - they say it's the most common nutritional supplement out there, yet until reading that article, I've never seen bodybuilders who look like that. Yet, when I walk by a magazine rack, I see a zillion pics of ripped dudes every bit as lean as those old pics they showed.

I'm guessing those muscular barrels are abusing something else, possibly HGH.

That narcoticnutrion site is selling their own product, so you can't trust anything they say about competing products. That's actually the problem with the vast majority of nutritional "info" out there - it almost always comes from someone trying to sell you something.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Is this true? Whey protein is very bad for you?

That article looks like a load of bullshit to me. They may have some valid points about the over-processed form of whey protein, but it certainly doesn't cause those weird distended stomachs. Think about it - they say it's the most common nutritional supplement out there, yet until reading that article, I've never seen bodybuilders who look like that. Yet, when I walk by a magazine rack, I see a zillion pics of ripped dudes every bit as lean as those old pics they showed.

I'm guessing those muscular barrels are abusing something else, possibly HGH.

That narcoticnutrion site is selling their own product, so you can't trust anything they say about competing products. That's actually the problem with the vast majority of nutritional "info" out there - it almost always comes from someone trying to sell you something.
It's called "narcotic nutrition"

I think that's good enough to not even click the article, no matter what it is
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks, fellas. It struck me as total bullshit from top to bottom, but it seemed like something was there to support an idea. There isn't and I'm going to continue to chug my custom blend from True Nutrition and keep making gainz.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Denis wrote:
rass wrote:Nice Denis. I didn't know you were this far north. The next time Syb makes plans for a North Jersey Swamp-up before bailing at the last minute, he'll have to make sure he includes you in the disappointment party.

Thanks Rass. Not yet but its on the radar.

We are spoiled in this area. Parsippany is riddled with cultural joints like Garibaldi. There are literally a dozen or more authentic south american, indian and asian restaurants on my street alone. My favorite is a tiny place on Beverwyck called Churasco Grill. Owner is Brazilian, his friggin grandmother greets everyone at the door and is super charming. 10 out of 10 for date night dinner. They're expensive but you will not find better south american food. Highly recommend.
Whoa, I almost didn't catch up on this thread, but now that I know it is about burritos and not necessarily healthy ethnic food in North Jersey, I'll have to keep up! Denis, had no idea you were so close. Go to the Trap Rock Brewery some time, and none of us will show.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

In typical bfj fashion, I hit a milestone mark (40 lbs lost) and immediately start backsliding. I think, in my head I deserve to "celebrate my success". It is no different than relapsing for an addict in my mind. I know I shouldn't eat the crap I've been avoiding for 4 months, but I eat it anyway. Then the mental part kicks in where I beat myself up for fucking up and that leads to more eating.

It is a cycle I have repeated many times.

I Hate me sometimes.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I've been working hard at diet and exercise for the past 12 weeks and I'm down a whole 8 pounds. So I'm tremendously impressed at the discipline you've demonstrated. I'd be genuinely thrilled to drop 20 pounds over 4 months -- just half of your achievement. And I've got medical reasons to drop 40, so I'm quite motivated. I'm not happy with how hard this is for me to get done.

I get the frustration of giving back hard-won gains. You may not be as good at holding the ground as winning the ground. Yet. But perhaps you'll figure it out. I hear it's not easy -- but I'll have to get a lot better at losing weight before I can begin to find out for myself.

You're going to be one of those people I use for motivation in the months to come.

Congratulations again.