Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: However I also don't "get" Modern Family and it has won like 847 Emmys. We get it, Sophia Veraga has big tits and is a confused Latina, and 2(?) of the guys are gay. Comedy!
What? The writing on Modern Family is absolutely brilliant. Did you like Arrested Development? Very similar style. The comedy is often pretty subtle and uses clever play on words (not quite puns). I am actually surprised Modern Family gets the recognition it does, as it is not the standard sitcom mold, like just about every sitcom ever. I credit AD for making MF more mainstream. Though AD got a lot of critical acclaim, it was just that few people watched it because it wasn't the same cookie cutter crap people are used to.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote: However I also don't "get" Modern Family and it has won like 847 Emmys. We get it, Sophia Veraga has big tits and is a confused Latina, and 2(?) of the guys are gay. Comedy!
What? The writing on Modern Family is absolutely brilliant. Did you like Arrested Development? Very similar style. The comedy is often pretty subtle and uses clever play on words (not quite puns). I am actually surprised Modern Family gets the recognition it does, as it is not the standard sitcom mold, like just about every sitcom ever. I credit AD for making MF more mainstream. Though AD got a lot of critical acclaim, it was just that few people watched it because it wasn't the same cookie cutter crap people are used to.
Agreed. While Modern Family may look stereotypey, it works because they play the stereotypes so well. The self-awareness with the wittiness works incredibly well and it's laugh out loud funny nearly every week.

I'm hooked on Brooklyn Nine-Nine still as well. Though I'm not laughing, it's a show that's making me watch over and over.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Also, has anyone watched Red Band Society? I have a couple of the episodes recorded. Is it going to depress me? If it is, I'm not going to watch.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:Also, has anyone watched Red Band Society? I have a couple of the episodes recorded. Is it going to depress me? If it is, I'm not going to watch.
My wife cried like a baby the first two episodes. So yeah, you'll probably bawl your eyes out.

HA HA HA HA.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
I'm not denying that it is good. Numbers don't lie. It just never grabbed me. I was the same with Arrested Development. Couple of chuckles here and there but you gotta do better than that to hold my interest as a sitcom. Maybe I'm just a bit different. It's no knock. I just have never cared for any of those shows.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Numbers lie like a sleeping dog when it comes to what gets ratings and what don't in television.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: I'm not denying that it is good. Numbers don't lie. It just never grabbed me. I was the same with Arrested Development. Couple of chuckles here and there but you gotta do better than that to hold my interest as a sitcom. Maybe I'm just a bit different. It's no knock. I just have never cared for any of those shows.

Numbers lie. Big time. From what I have seen of 2.5 Men, it is absolutely mindlessly fuckawful, and it was one of the most popular shows. I am heavily biased against run of the mill style sitcoms. Even if it has a few chuckles, it feels like a waste of time. McDonald's has been wildly popular for decades, yet it is the shittiest food on earth. Pop music is almost all complete crap, but it sells. The most marketable and popular stuff is usually the worst.

AD is one of the best shows in history, especially because it broke the mold and opened doors to a lot of quirky comedy shows. It had horrible ratings, and was always on the verge of cancellation, despite critical acclaim and a deeply devoted following. One thing I can see throwing people, is that these shows are sort of like the Simpsons, were the plot and storyline of individual episodes are almost irrelevant, unrealistic and loose vehicles to carry the jokes. Sure, there is an overall story arc through the season, but each episode is a very small piece. Almost every episode of both shows, there will be a joke I miss, then pick up only because my wife laughed.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote: I can not get over how unfunny I think Mindy Kaling is. I can't watch the show because of her alone. If some other characters are brilliant, it's a shame. I just don't get her.

I'm with you. My wife and I love New Girl, I just high tail it to the man cave as soon as Mindy comes on.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote: I'm not denying that it is good. Numbers don't lie. It just never grabbed me. I was the same with Arrested Development. Couple of chuckles here and there but you gotta do better than that to hold my interest as a sitcom. Maybe I'm just a bit different. It's no knock. I just have never cared for any of those shows.

Numbers lie. Big time. From what I have seen of 2.5 Men, it is absolutely mindlessly fuckawful, and it was one of the most popular shows. I am heavily biased against run of the mill style sitcoms. Even if it has a few chuckles, it feels like a waste of time. McDonald's has been wildly popular for decades, yet it is the shittiest food on earth. Pop music is almost all complete crap, but it sells. The most marketable and popular stuff is usually the worst.

AD is one of the best shows in history, especially because it broke the mold and opened doors to a lot of quirky comedy shows. It had horrible ratings, and was always on the verge of cancellation, despite critical acclaim and a deeply devoted following. One thing I can see throwing people, is that these shows are sort of like the Simpsons, were the plot and storyline of individual episodes are almost irrelevant, unrealistic and loose vehicles to carry the jokes. Sure, there is an overall story arc through the season, but each episode is a very small piece. Almost every episode of both shows, there will be a joke I miss, then pick up only because my wife laughed.
Should have been more specific. Numbers do lie, but when a show has won a gazillion Emmys it must be doing something right. It's one thing when a movie wins an oscar and I didn't get it. You reckon when a show wins best comedy 4?5?6? Years in a row that they are on to something. TV shows are a lot like booze. I've tried to grow out of ridiculing people for liking things I don't, as long as it's not bottom barrel dreck I can't respect. Like the fucking kardashians or real housewife or whatever.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched Gotham premiere last night, finally. I liked it a lot. The cinematography is pretty impressive. Not your common TV drama by any means. Lots of the lighting was reminiscent of a comic book.

One nit: they shoehorned a lot of the villains in that first episode. Didn't seem very organic.
Last edited by A_B on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Should have been more specific. Numbers do lie, but when a show has won a gazillion Emmys it must be doing something right. It's one thing when a movie wins an oscar and I didn't get it. You reckon when a show wins best comedy 4?5?6? Years in a row that they are on to something. TV shows are a lot like booze. I've tried to grow out of ridiculing people for liking things I don't, as long as it's not bottom barrel dreck I can't respect. Like the fucking kardashians or real housewife or whatever.
That makes you a better person than me, seeing as I just ridiculed a bunch of shows. I have become a snob in my aging. Just don't have time for bullshit, and I am more apt to say it. Usually just in here, not to real people. I can't wait until I am old enough to not give a fuck and spout of in public. My wife's great-aunt was the queen of that. What are you going to say to a woman in her 90s when she says shit that she doesn't realize is now considered racist or inappropriate. Especially when you knew it wasn't said with malice, just with an antiquated mindset and not giving a fuck.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So you're saying you're a racist and you can't wait to be able to show it off?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:So you're saying you're a racist and you can't wait to be able to show it off?
No, some of my internet friends are black. I even met one of them!
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:So you're saying you're a racist and you can't wait to be able to show it off?
No, some of my internet friends are black. I even met one of them!
Who? Johnnie?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pretty excited about this new Dominic West, Maura Tierney show. If only these kids would go the fuck to sleep m
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shows that won't make it or will be cancelled after 2 episodes for $100 Alex
http://deadline.com/2014/10/robbie-roge ... bc-843005/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Shows that won't make it or will be cancelled after 2 episodes for $100 Alex
http://deadline.com/2014/10/robbie-roge ... bc-843005/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is Sean Hayes available?

Watched the first episode of "Marry Me" and despite the clunky expository dialogue off the top, found it to be really enjoyable and even laughed out loud twice.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Reason #1 you don't add Jennifer Love Hewitt to a tv show - In the latest Criminal Minds episode, they shot a guy right between the eyes, and then JLH checked his pulse. Was that in the script or did she just ad lib?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TheHumanComa wrote:Reason #1 you don't add Jennifer Love Hewitt to a tv show - In the latest Criminal Minds episode, they shot a guy right between the eyes, and then JLH checked his pulse. Was that in the script or did she just ad lib?
Just look at her tits, and the scene works.
-Pruitt
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

The Sybian wrote:
TheHumanComa wrote:Reason #1 you don't add Jennifer Love Hewitt to a tv show - In the latest Criminal Minds episode, they shot a guy right between the eyes, and then JLH checked his pulse. Was that in the script or did she just ad lib?
Just look at her tits, and the scene works.
Haha. Yeah, that's why i let it go when I first saw it. But I remembered the scene a few days later for some reason and rewatched the end scene. Her tits are nice enough to make you miss stuff like that and she's not the worst actress on tv but apparently there are lots of haters. But not because of what i mentioned, they just don't like her.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

"The Bridge" has been canceled.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote:"The Bridge" has been canceled.
Damn.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Not a TV show, but a web series. And an old one, at that. I went through all of the Dorm Life series on Hulu, and loved it. The episodes are 5-8 minutes long, in mockumentary style, following a freshman dorm floor. 2 seasons, each representing a semester. Of the entire cast, only one person went on to do any real acting. Dwight Shrute's fiance or wife or whatever she was in the final few episodes.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I found the debut of "Mike Tyson Mysteries" to be hilarious.
Why is Carmel MacArthur a reclusive writer?
Also, I am embarrassed for not realizing at least 80% of all shows would be better with a pigeon voiced by Norm Macdonald.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I have it taped and cued up.

Said goodbye to Nucky Thompson last night. Show had its ups and downs, I did not like the flashback theme of the final season, with the obvious finish of that thread. But, as it turned out, the end of the Nucky/Gillian relationship was apt.

I liked the weaving of historic figures, mostly gangsters, through the tale, and loved the Joe Kennedy, despite the need to suspend disbelief to the degree of accepting that Kennedy would need to be shown how to do a bear raid on a stock. In 1932. By a secretary. That was cute.

Tim Van Patten building quite a book of directing final episodes of good series (this, Sopranos.) (Maybe they'll give him the finale of Thrones in five years or so.) I think this series suffers by comparison, being a pretty darn good show in a golden age of spectacularly great TV shows. Ten years ago Boardwalk Empire would've been considered one of the finest TV shows around; now it is one of many.

OTOH, Homeland is really getting on my nerves. Particularly bad writing for Carrie, and bad overacting (and I blame the directors/editors) by Claire. The new 'jump the shark' may be getting darted in a men's room and kidnapped by the Taliban.

Gotham is hanging in there. Adding a 'good' dimension to the Donal Logue character was a smart turn. Also, an old girlfriend of mine popped up in last week's episode (the 'middle management' executive of Wayne Enterprises who met with young Bruce Wayne--proof I have dated black women, in the distant past.)

Waiting on new seasons of Rick and Morty and Broad City. and the debut of Better Call Saul. man, TV is awesome.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:I have it taped and cued up.

Said goodbye to Nucky Thompson last night. Show had its ups and downs, I did not like the flashback theme of the final season, with the obvious finish of that thread. But, as it turned out, the end of the Nucky/Gillian relationship was apt.

I liked the weaving of historic figures, mostly gangsters, through the tale, and loved the Joe Kennedy, despite the need to suspend disbelief to the degree of accepting that Kennedy would need to be shown how to do a bear raid on a stock. In 1932. By a secretary. That was cute.

Tim Van Patten building quite a book of directing final episodes of good series (this, Sopranos.) (Maybe they'll give him the finale of Thrones in five years or so.) I think this series suffers by comparison, being a pretty darn good show in a golden age of spectacularly great TV shows. Ten years ago Boardwalk Empire would've been considered one of the finest TV shows around; now it is one of many.

OTOH, Homeland is really getting on my nerves. Particularly bad writing for Carrie, and bad overacting (and I blame the directors/editors) by Claire. The new 'jump the shark' may be getting darted in a men's room and kidnapped by the Taliban.

Gotham is hanging in there. Adding a 'good' dimension to the Donal Logue character was a smart turn. Also, an old girlfriend of mine popped up in last week's episode (the 'middle management' executive of Wayne Enterprises who met with young Bruce Wayne--proof I have dated black women, in the distant past.)

Waiting on new seasons of Rick and Morty and Broad City. and the debut of Better Call Saul. man, TV is awesome.

I have the first season of Homeland. I have heard so many rave reviews and I was excited to see it, but everyone says it sucks this year. Is it worth starting the show? There are so many shows sitting on my computer right now. I need to finish Breaking Bad, then move onto Game of Thrones.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The first two seasons of Homeland stand alone; you can easily watch them then stop (and I recommend that.) With this year, serious re-tooling of story and characters.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

howard wrote:The first two seasons of Homeland stand alone; you can easily watch them then stop (and I recommend that.) With this year, serious re-tooling of story and characters.
Homeland starts to stretch the boundaries of realism about halfway through season 2. Also, there's lots less nudity after the first few episodes, so don't get used to that aspect of the show.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm a big fan of Eliza Coupe and I thought Happy Endings was funny as hell. She's in a new show on USA called Benched, where she plays a Type-A (her wheelhouse) attorney who tells her boss to go fuck himself after getting passed over for a promotion, and then goes and works as a public defender.

The only dark spot is that I first learned about it on Uproxx, and I fucking hate the fuck out of that site. It's the internet equivalent of junk food that tastes like garbage, only that if junk food was snarky and full of fucking lists. Man, fuck that site.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

L-Jam3 wrote:I'm a big fan of Eliza Coupe and I thought Happy Endings was funny as hell. She's in a new show on USA called Benched, where she plays a Type-A (her wheelhouse) attorney who tells her boss to go fuck himself after getting passed over for a promotion, and then goes and works as a public defender.

The only dark spot is that I first learned about it on Uproxx, and I fucking hate the fuck out of that site. It's the internet equivalent of junk food that tastes like garbage, only that if junk food was snarky and full of fucking lists. Man, fuck that site.
I saw the same article this morning and added it to the DVR.

You hate uproxx that much? I think both Film Drunk and KSK are consistently pretty great. The TV site is a little shakier (depends on the author) but their recaps for some shows (Justified, GoT) are pretty good. I don't frequent anything else of theirs, I guess.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Affair" is really weird. I've seen three episodes and am not enjoying it, yet I want to find out just what is going on.

Two unreliable narrators - neither of whom is in the least way likeable. Miserable supporting characters, kids you want to see kidnapped by ISIS, and some really clunky scenes.

Yet the format is fantastic.

Simmons and House were joking about the show on the BS Report and House said that the only way to watch this show with your wife is with your mouth completely shut. Because even saying something like - "How stupid is that guy to kiss her in the public park?" will make the wife jump to conclusions.

I have watched with my mouth shut, but it still didn't stop my wife from asking what seemed to be leading questions.

A very strange show, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it until I see where it is going.

But Jeez, the lead characters are morons.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote:The Affair" is really weird. I've seen three episodes and am not enjoying it, yet I want to find out just what is going on.

Two unreliable narrators - neither of whom is in the least way likeable. Miserable supporting characters, kids you want to see kidnapped by ISIS, and some really clunky scenes.

Simmons and House were joking about the show on the BS Report and House said that the only way to watch this show with your wife is with your mouth completely shut. Because even saying something like - "How stupid is that guy to kiss her in the public park?" will make the wife jump to conclusions.

I have watched with my mouth shut, but it still didn't stop my wife from asking what seemed to be leading questions.

A very strange show, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it until I see where it is going.

Dang. Gone Girl much?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, I am four episodes in on GOtham. I like it, but it han't had any "comic book" feel cinematography since the pilot.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Holy shit, Harry Potter!

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

AB_skin_test wrote:Also, I am four episodes in on GOtham. I like it, but it han't had any "comic book" feel cinematography since the pilot.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in most situations, the budget is several times larger for a pilot than what it will be for a standard episode, so a lot more options are available in a pilot so the show can put its best foot forward.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Also, I am four episodes in on GOtham. I like it, but it han't had any "comic book" feel cinematography since the pilot.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in most situations, the budget is several times larger for a pilot than what it will be for a standard episode, so a lot more options are available in a pilot so the show can put its best foot forward.
Yeah, i get that. But it's kind of a false promise!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Pruitt wrote:The Affair" is really weird. I've seen three episodes and am not enjoying it, yet I want to find out just what is going on.

Dang. Gone Girl much?
Haven't read Gone Girl, nor will I be seeing it. My wife read it a while ago and felt compelled to update me on every detail of the plot from beginning to end.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Holy shit, Harry Potter!
Still doesn't beat Chris Pratt doing "Forgot About Dre"

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Yeah, i get that. But it's kind of a false promise!
I'm pretty sure they overspent on the cavernous GCPD set, which is why Wayne Manor is just one room.

I'm liking the show in general, especially the fact that the Ryan Atwood side-ways glance has made it's way to Jim Gordon. And Donal Logue is great in just about anything.