Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Also, I am four episodes in on GOtham. I like it, but it han't had any "comic book" feel cinematography since the pilot.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in most situations, the budget is several times larger for a pilot than what it will be for a standard episode, so a lot more options are available in a pilot so the show can put its best foot forward.
Yeah, i get that. But it's kind of a false promise!
I'm pretty sure they overspent on the cavernous GCPD set, which is why Wayne Manor is just one room.

I'm liking the show in general, especially the fact that the Ryan Atwood side-ways glance has made it's way to Jim Gordon. And Donal Logue is great in just about anything.
One more reason to pimp this show. It was so great.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote:
rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Also, I am four episodes in on GOtham. I like it, but it han't had any "comic book" feel cinematography since the pilot.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in most situations, the budget is several times larger for a pilot than what it will be for a standard episode, so a lot more options are available in a pilot so the show can put its best foot forward.
Yeah, i get that. But it's kind of a false promise!
I'm pretty sure they overspent on the cavernous GCPD set, which is why Wayne Manor is just one room.

I'm liking the show in general, especially the fact that the Ryan Atwood side-ways glance has made it's way to Jim Gordon. And Donal Logue is great in just about anything.
One more reason to pimp this show. It was so great.

I was going to do the same thing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh dear God - Mulaney is absolutely atrocious.

Has to be seen to be believed. I'll let this Hollywood Reporter review sum it up
There is no saving a show this heinous. If you don't ask yourself, "How did this get on the air?" while watching Mulaney — essentially a TV show about stand-up comedian John Mulaney having his own TV show — then you're not watching Mulaney.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Johnny Damon's going to be on Celebrity Apprentice.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Ryan wrote:Johnny Damon's going to be on Celebrity Apprentice.
Shawn Johnson, Leeza Gibbons, Lorenzo Lamas, Kevin Jonas, Jamie Anderson, Johnny Damon, Vivica A. Fox, Geraldo Rivera, Kate Gosselin, Ian Ziering, Terrell Owens, Gilbert Gottfried, Sig Hansen, Brandi Glanville, Keisha Knight Pulliam, Kenya Moore
Jeebus.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Ryan wrote:Johnny Damon's going to be on Celebrity Apprentice.
Shawn Johnson, Leeza Gibbons, Lorenzo Lamas, Kevin Jonas, Jamie Anderson, Johnny Damon, Vivica A. Fox, Geraldo Rivera, Kate Gosselin, Ian Ziering, Terrell Owens, Gilbert Gottfried, Sig Hansen, Brandi Glanville, Keisha Knight Pulliam, Kenya Moore
Jeebus.

Holy fuck, is that a desperate cast. The biggest surprise is that Celebrity Apprentice is still on. Half the people I either don't know who they are, or I am ashamed I know. The only person remotely relevant is Geraldo, and he has turned himself into a huge joke. Not that he was ever all that respectable, but the naked Tweets and his work on FoxNews have sunk him to a new low. Is there a single cast member anyone would want to see? Maybe for train wreck value, but not even then. Although I would like to see TO bang the fuck out of Kate Gosselin. That'd be hilarious.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'd probably watch Shawn Johnson on C-SPAN

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:Oh dear God - Mulaney is absolutely atrocious.

Has to be seen to be believed. I'll let this Hollywood Reporter review sum it up
There is no saving a show this heinous. If you don't ask yourself, "How did this get on the air?" while watching Mulaney — essentially a TV show about stand-up comedian John Mulaney having his own TV show — then you're not watching Mulaney.
I am quite disappointed I really like his stand-up.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I can't express how much I love snarkily watching the CMA Awards
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you've seen people talking about "Too Many Cooks" on Twitter this morning here you go. I don't want to give too much away, but it's possibly the most brilliant 10 minutes of television I've ever seen.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Brilliant. Song stuck in my head, though.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Recently discovered ME.TV, channel 3/503 on Fios. Right in between CBS and NBC, and I never noticed it. Anywho, they show classic old shows. Recorded a couple Leave it to Beaver episodes for the kids. My daughter loved it, but I think she was just crushing on the Beave. My son hated it. I loved it at his age, but it is really slow and boring relative to modern kids shows.

On the confessions end of this post, my wife recorded a couple of Love Boat episodes. she forced me to watch an episode, because she loved it as a kid. I gotta say, between the pure cheese, campiness and fantastic outfits, I am actually enjoying it. The number of celebrity guests is impressive. The first episode featured Ben still and Ann Meara (his real life wife), and one of their kids was played by a 3 or 4 year old Corey Feldman. Every episode is so predictable it is funny. You know within the first 3 minutes what is going to happen, and every episode is the same. Not sure how long my wife will put up with my snarky commentary before I gt banned from watching with her.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:Recently discovered ME.TV, channel 3/503 on Fios. Right in between CBS and NBC, and I never noticed it. Anywho, they show classic old shows. Recorded a couple Leave it to Beaver episodes for the kids. My daughter loved it, but I think she was just crushing on the Beave. My son hated it. I loved it at his age, but it is really slow and boring relative to modern kids shows.

On the confessions end of this post, my wife recorded a couple of Love Boat episodes. she forced me to watch an episode, because she loved it as a kid. I gotta say, between the pure cheese, campiness and fantastic outfits, I am actually enjoying it. The number of celebrity guests is impressive. The first episode featured Ben still and Ann Meara (his real life wife), and one of their kids was played by a 3 or 4 year old Corey Feldman. Every episode is so predictable it is funny. You know within the first 3 minutes what is going to happen, and every episode is the same. Not sure how long my wife will put up with my snarky commentary before I gt banned from watching with her.
GROSSSSSSSSSSSS
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Sybian wrote:Recently discovered ME.TV, channel 3/503 on Fios.
The Rockford Files, weekdays at noon. I still love those reruns.

Also in my routine, Encore Westerns network. Have Gun, Will Travel. Another show that was a cut above, one big reason the head writer. Gene Roddenberry. Much like the head writer for Rockford was David Chase.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Recently discovered ME.TV, channel 3/503 on Fios. Right in between CBS and NBC, and I never noticed it. Anywho, they show classic old shows. Recorded a couple Leave it to Beaver episodes for the kids. My daughter loved it, but I think she was just crushing on the Beave. My son hated it. I loved it at his age, but it is really slow and boring relative to modern kids shows.

GROSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ha, that took me a minute. Jerry Stiller. Still gross. Probably more so. I saw them on the street one day. Jerry Stller and Ann Meara, that is. She has to be at least a foot taller than him. Even in her old age, she was striking. Jerry actually looked much more troll like in person than he does on TV. Such an odd looking pairing.

I saw a commercial for The Rockford Files and thought of you. I gotta record an episode and see what it is.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Wait, you've never seen the Rockford Files?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Homeland.

Shark.

Jumped.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

howard wrote:Homeland.

Shark.

Jumped.
Again?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

"Ice Warriors: USA Sled Hockey" on PBS tonight. Sounds like a pretty good doc on there run to the Gold.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have come to view the hour spent watching The Affair each week as a sort of punishment - the price I pay for watching so much football and soccer.

She's hooked, so in the absence of any other adult dramas that we watch together, this has become must viewing. And just when I became fed up with the show and it's horrible, horrible characters along comes one of the most irritating people I have seen on TV in years. Athena, the mother of the main woman whose name I constantly forget.

And the show was just renewed which means that the mystery which I assumed would be explained at the end of episode 10 will linger.. and linger.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don't get this line of reasoning. If you don't like a show, why waste your time watching it? Why not go into another room and spend that 55 minutes reading or something else.

I never understood the idea of hatewatching something. It seems completely as an utter waste. If I dislike a work, my time is too valuable and in such short supply I don't spend it on it. Like when I realized that I hate Uproxx because I thought "I can find hot chicks in cosplay outfits without this whole elevation of disposable pop culture and the snark assocaited with it", I didn't have any need to go there further.

If a person says to themselves "but I invested all this time", you're a fucking idiot. Start thinking like an economist; the time you spent watching the prior episodes is a sunk cost, and it should not factor in your future decisions. The only thought should be "Would I prefer to spend the next 55 minutes watching the affair, or doing something else?" I dropped Walking Dead last year when I would get bored mid-episode and start fiddling with Plague, Inc., I dropped The Newsroom last year when I said "can somebody explain to me why Sorkin is considered this Jehovah of screenwriting when everything is a goddamn wordy speech which no person would ever say in reality?", and I've dropped other shows.

Fuck the Affair. Tell her she needs to dress like a naughty schoolgirl if she wants you to watch it with you.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Too many cooks
Too many cooks
Too many cooks
Too many cooks
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It takes a lot to make a stew
I couldn't handle these streets without you

....I can't get it out of my head.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote:I don't get this line of reasoning. If you don't like a show, why waste your time watching it? Why not go into another room and spend that 55 minutes reading or something else.

I never understood the idea of hatewatching something. It seems completely as an utter waste. If I dislike a work, my time is too valuable and in such short supply I don't spend it on it. Like when I realized that I hate Uproxx because I thought "I can find hot chicks in cosplay outfits without this whole elevation of disposable pop culture and the snark assocaited with it", I didn't have any need to go there further.

If a person says to themselves "but I invested all this time", you're a fucking idiot. Start thinking like an economist; the time you spent watching the prior episodes is a sunk cost, and it should not factor in your future decisions. The only thought should be "Would I prefer to spend the next 55 minutes watching the affair, or doing something else?" I dropped Walking Dead last year when I would get bored mid-episode and start fiddling with Plague, Inc., I dropped The Newsroom last year when I said "can somebody explain to me why Sorkin is considered this Jehovah of screenwriting when everything is a goddamn wordy speech which no person would ever say in reality?", and I've dropped other shows.

Fuck the Affair. Tell her she needs to dress like a naughty schoolgirl if she wants you to watch it with you.
A happy marriage is a fine balancing act.

Throughout our years together, we have always had a show that we both watched (and that the kids didn't). Breaking Bad, Les revenants, Scandal, Homicide.... Since I walked away from Scandal, my wife has been looking for a show "to share."

If it keeps her from giving me a hard time over watching Champions League soccer off the DVR instead of catching up with the goings on in Nashville or The Good Wife than so be it. And my investment of time does not play into it at all, as I no longer care what happened as there is not a single character in the show that I would like to see survive the next tsunami.

And lest you think my wife is not a good judge of quality, she's the one who turned to me two-thirds of the way through the premiere of The Newsroom and said "I hate all these people." We haven't watched it since. Also, she is loving Steve Coogan's The Trip To Italy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Too many cooks
Too many cooks
Too many cooks
Too many cooks

Damnit, I finally got it out of my head. That was a work of pure genius. Made me realize I need to look into Adult Swim. Just watched an episode of the Tyson Mysteries. The concept is funnier than the actual show, but I'll give it another try.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Caught up on two of the last three Gotham episodes last night. I loved the closing shot of the episode where OC Gordon was being arrested and Penguin revealed himself to be alive.

"Harvey..."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So I finally got around to watching the premiere of Benched, and dammitt. Eliza Coupe is comedy gold. And those of us in the legal profession will probably get a few extra chuckles. Definitely recommended.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

WE're three episodes into this season on blacklist. What they lose me with implausible timelines the get back with creating some character intrigue and moral murkiness. So overall it's a wash and a show that I can watch with the woman.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Guy will be eaten by a snake on live tv.

http://www.avclub.com/article/discovery ... :1:Default

Some people are not pleased...
Petition author Ben Paramonte clarified the objection, saying the stunt “could kill the snake,” and “reinforces the negative stereotype of snakes.” To be fair, it’s unclear if there are any existing stereotypes that involve a man donning homemade armor, bathing in pig’s blood, and climbing inside a jungle snake (until now.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It's just shock schlock, IMO.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The first giant snake that popped into my head almost forced me down the path to a bad Harry Potter joke, but luckily one of the AV Club commenters on that article remembered his Shel Silverstein:
Oh, I'm being eaten
By a boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor,
And I don't like it--one bit.
Well, what do you know?
It's nibblin' my toe.
Oh, gee,
It's up to my knee.
Oh my,
It's up to my thigh.
Oh, fiddle,
It's up to my middle.
Oh, heck,
It's up to my neck.
Oh, dread,
It's upmmmmmmmmmmffffffffff...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:Guy will be eaten by a snake on live tv.

http://www.avclub.com/article/discovery ... :1:Default

Some people are not pleased...
Petition author Ben Paramonte clarified the objection, saying the stunt “could kill the snake,” and “reinforces the negative stereotype of snakes.” To be fair, it’s unclear if there are any existing stereotypes that involve a man donning homemade armor, bathing in pig’s blood, and climbing inside a jungle snake (until now.)
Ratings would be so much better if your one sentence summary strategically added the word "Fieri".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

The League has gotten back its swing; last night's was the best of the season. Taco opens the EBDBb&b - the Eskimo Brother Data Base Bed & Breakfast, which is basically a brothel. Plus any storylines with Raffy are pure gold.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fully caught up on Gotham. Still really like it and it is in fact better than I thought it was 4 episodes ago.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This one is for brian - some pretty detailed (and entertaining) analysis of the Too Many Cooks video.

http://www.toddalcott.com/too-many-cook ... lysis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:This one is for brian - some pretty detailed (and entertaining) analysis of the Too Many Cooks video.

http://www.toddalcott.com/too-many-cook ... lysis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure I'm ready to head down that rabbit hole for awhile, but I bookmarked the link for later. I literally had dreams/nightmares so vivid for a couple of days after it that I couldn't sleep.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

boxcar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by boxcar »

whoa whoa whoa... there's no way Smarf pushed that button.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »