Friday Movie Discussion: Movies you walked out of

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Friday Movie Discussion: Movies you walked out of

Post by L-Jam3 »

Inspired by AB's (unexplained) utter hatred for Biloxi Blues, here's the thread where we talk about movies we paid hard money to go see, only to say "fuck it. Sunk fucking cost."

Mine was Hannibal. I didn't particalarly like it watching it, but in that last sequence with Ray Liotta, I got up, said to M-Tel loud enough for everyone to hear "Ok, that's it. Someone eating their own brain is where I draw the line. I'll see you outside." and left and waited in the lobby.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Friday Movie Discussion: Movies you walked out of

Post by A_B »

I think it was just wrong place wrong time. I saw it with my mother and we both were bored to tears so we left. That was when we went to movies all the time (the theater was within walking distance in my hometown) so we didn't feel like wasting time when there were better things to be doing. WE probably lasted 45 minutes and it may indeed have redeemed itself.

One I wanted to walk out on but didn't was "Midnight in the Garden of Good And Evil". Saw that with a group of friends during college and thought it blew goats.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Happening

Begins and ends with that piece of shit. I remember getting up and saying "No, that's stupid. You will have no more of my time Mr. Shamalamadingdong."
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I have never walked out of a movie, but the closest I came was Juno.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Diner.

I didn't see it in a theater, but I rented it once and quit about halfway through. That movie was so bad it's made me hate everything Paul Reiser has ever done in his career.

ETA: I saw Juno in a theater with my wife. If I had seen it solo I would've walked out on it, too. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to think a teenager dumb enough to get knocked up would be that witty.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Natural Born Killers
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The second Matrix movie. I actually quite liked the first one, but walked out halfway through the second one and obviously(?) never saw the third one.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:Natural Born Killers
I fired this up on Netflix about a year ago. Lasted about 25 minutes. I just didn't get it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I so rarely go to movies that I never really gamble, but when I was in high school I walked out of Encino Man (it was playing at the $1.50 theater).
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The English Patient, and this was right before the Seinfeld episode came out so it was even more funny to us. I still don't know how it ends but I remember thinking the same thing..."Would everyone just fucking die so this movie can be over?"
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Jerloma wrote:The English Patient, and this was right before the Seinfeld episode came out so it was even more funny to us. I still don't know how it ends but I remember thinking the same thing..."Would everyone just fucking die so this movie can be over?"
Was Sack Lunch playing in an adjoining theater?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Driven
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:Driven
I can see walking out of Driven. I stuck through the whole thing on Netflix, but I don't feel good about it.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

By Driven, do you mean Drive? Because I know that one is really divisive.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnny Carwash wrote:By Driven, do you mean Drive? Because I know that one is really divisive.
Whichever one has dreamy Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

govmentchedda wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:By Driven, do you mean Drive? Because I know that one is really divisive.
Whichever one has dreamy Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan.
Wow. Thought that was a good movie.

Definitely don't see Only God Forgives.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I thoguht Drive was excellent.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Drive does a number of stylistic things that people who call movies "film" (singular) love to gush over, but other things about it are simplistic and sort of dumb.

Plus it wasn't helped by being marketed as a high-action thriller with a bunch of car chases, which it really wasn't, and that may have messed with people's expectations.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Drive was awesome. Driven is the only movie I've walked out of.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Tree of Life.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Tree of Life.
That was pretty terrible. I rented it, watched it all but definitely was not fully vested in it.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Christina Hendricks were in Drive? Maybe I'll need to see that sooner rather than later.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote:Christina Hendricks were in Drive? Maybe I'll need to see that sooner rather than later.
Don't get your hopes up.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

If we're counting rentals, I have a few. I used to have this thing where I'd try to watch a movie I wasn't enjoying until its conclusion, on the principle that I couldn't make a good faith assessment unless I had seen the whole thing. A few years ago I finally said fuck it, I'm not going to live forever, and I don't need to waste life watching a movie I'm 99% sure I'm going to dislike.

Movies that have gotten the premature termination treatment include:

-The Hangover: Mentioned this here before. Got about 15 min in, wasn't funny, dislikeable characters.

-The Descendants: May be the most jarring disappointment I've ever experienced with a movie, as Alexander Payne is one of my favorite directors and his previous entry, Sideways, is maybe my favorite of the 21st century so far. The actors other than Clooney come across like amateurs, and the writing is staggeringly bad--yet inexplicably this won an Oscar for best screenplay. People walking up and awkwardly spitting out plot points poorly disguised as conversational dialogue. Also helped to formulate my burgeoning theory that people from Hawaii are secretly the biggest assholes in the union.

-The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (English remake): I saw the original Swedish movies and thought they were OK, but nowhere near as good as the praise they got. I usually like David Fincher, so thought I'd give the remake a shot. Just assumed that an English adaptation would have the setting moved to an English-speaking country, but nope--still takes place in Sweden, with British/American actors talking in fake Swedish accents. Just an odd, odd decision. Gave it about 10 minutes before deciding I wasn't interested in sitting thorough it.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnny Carwash wrote:People walking up and awkwardly spitting out plot points poorly disguised as conversational dialogue.
This is one of my biggest movie pet peeves.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, especially when darth vader fucks it all up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

If we are talking videos, I have no idea, but a lot. Only really walked out on one movie, but there re a lot I should have. In college, we went to the movies and disagreed about what to see. I wanted to see Contact, but others wanted to see Nothing to Lose, the buddy comedy where Martin Lawrence carjacks Tim Robbins who is in the middle of a nervous breakdown and kidnaps Martin. Hilarity most certainly did not ensue. Contact started 20 minutes later, so we went into Nothing to Lose and walked out to see Contact, which blew our fucking minds.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I wanted to walk out of A.I., but I needed a ride home and it was at a one screen theater. Man, that movie sucked.

As for rentals, I gave up on Bonfire of the Vanities about 10 minutes in after really enjoying the book.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

vandwagon wrote:I wanted to walk out of A.I., but I needed a ride home and it was at a one screen theater. Man, that movie sucked.

As for rentals, I gave up on Bonfire of the Vanities about 10 minutes in after really enjoying the book.
I turned off AI.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I walked out of "St Elmo's Fire"....after the scene where Rob Lowe and his band are playing and he has a big fight with his ex-wife in the street....I turned to my friend and said, loudly, "BLAAAAAH"...and we left...
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

"to die for" got the walk-out treatment. it was a delicate situation because i was with a group of people, one of whom was a girl with whom i was enamored at the time. the movie was so bad, i decided she wasn't worth another hour.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

I didn't walk out of it but Battlefield Earth. It was filmed in Montreal and I just happened to sit behind the guy in charge of props and he brought his whole family to watch it with him and even brought along a prop gun with him. I listened to him tell them all how amazing it was to work on the film and how proud he was and then sat and watched as the whole theater booed when the credits rolled. Poor guy. I could see his pride diminish as the movie dragged on. I think the only reason i stayed for the whole movie was because I didn't want to hurt his feelings.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nothing in Common with Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleason.

Fantasia

Dragonheart with Dennis Quaid and the voice of Sean Connery
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

While we did not actually walk out of it, I asked my wife if we could walk out of "American Hustle" about 25 minutes before it ended (although I wasn't happy with it about 90 seconds into it). She wanted to see how they wrapped it up with the big con.

Just shit movie cliche after shit movie cliche after shit movie cliche....
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:While we did not actually walk out of it, I asked my wife if we could walk out of "American Hustle" about 25 minutes before it ended (although I wasn't happy with it about 90 seconds into it). She wanted to see how they wrapped it up with the big con.

I avoided that one - son and wife rated it "meh" and David Russell's previous movie - "Silver Linings Playbook" - started well before dissolving into a puddle of cliche and nonsense. And if not for Christian Bale, "The Fighter" would have been turned off about half way through.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote:While we did not actually walk out of it, I asked my wife if we could walk out of "American Hustle" about 25 minutes before it ended (although I wasn't happy with it about 90 seconds into it). She wanted to see how they wrapped it up with the big con.

Fwiw, I enjoyed American Hustle.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:

A great many people did, including all of those in the theater who laughed the first time they showed Bale, fixing his hideous hairpiece. That moment was the first time I thought the movie was going to suck. (I have a theory that is not completely fleshed out, but it revolves around audiences giving movies set in the 70's and 80's a lower bar to clear because everyone (everything?) looks so ridiculous, or at least clothing and hairstyles do.)

To be completely fair, Bale was great in "American Hustle". It is unfair for me not to mention that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

A great many people did, including all of those in the theater who laughed the first time they showed Bale, fixing his hideous hairpiece. That moment was the first time I thought the movie was going to suck. (I have a theory that is not completely fleshed out, but it revolves around audiences giving movies set in the 70's and 80's a lower bar to clear because everyone (everything?) looks so ridiculous, or at least clothing and hairstyles do.)

To be completely fair, Bale was great in "American Hustle". It is unfair for me not to mention that.
I do think it was flawed and over praised for what it was, but I thought Bradley Cooper was great in it, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

I do think it was flawed and over praised for what it was, but I thought Bradley Cooper was great in it, too.
I thought his character was a complete cliche, but I did find his imitation of Louis CK to be great.