Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:Rush - those are two classics.

Fela is king!
Indeed.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Rush - those are two classics.

Fela is king!
Indeed.

You want cook soup, Water you gonna use.

I saw Seun Kuti with Africa 80 this summer and it was an absolutely amazing show.

Nice to find a fan of African music. Check out this, it's from a great album by Fanga and some Guinean musicians.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This is the tune/artist that got me going down the road to African music.

Also you may find this interesting.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have Oliver Mtukudzi's album Tuku Music - a really nice sound.

Will definitely give the Kleptones entry a listen.

King Sunny Ade was my first experience with African Music.

If you like juju, his recent album "Babo Mu Tunde" is fantastic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The keyboard player in Pruitt's post is cute, but she looks like she is headed for her corporate office gig.

I was curious who the woman in THC's video is, turns out she was Playboy's Playmate of the Year in 2012. Jaclyn Swedberg. And good news Johnnie, she squats! [Damn, can't load video].

If you do the Instagram, I highly recommend following her. Good lord. She is like a curvier Minka Kelly with no shame. Well worth a trip down the internet rabbit hole.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:The keyboard player in Pruitt's post is cute, but she looks like she is headed for her corporate office gig.
Think she was about ot be fired from the band...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

There's some good stuff on here that a lot of you guys would like I think

Ryan Bingham
Nils Lofgren
Civil Wars
My Morning Jacket
Craig Finn

PLus more that I don't recognize right off but some of you undoubtedly will
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is the kind of stuff that makes me love following Jason Isbell on Twitter:

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:This is the kind of stuff that makes me love following Jason Isbell on Twitter:

That's the kind of stuff that makes me love Bill Murray in real life.

But seriously, how many celebrities could pull that off and have people say..."That's just classic Bill! Wacky Bill!" and not "What an entitled prick!"
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's true. This was in Charleston last weekend where he lives most of the year (Bill Murray, that is). I have family in Charleston and have heard at least a half-dozen Bill Murray stories and they're all awesome and totally complementary of him. He's supposedly an incredible tipper.

The one story that she was there in person for was that she was at a brewpub downtown having a couple of beers with a friend and they asked the bartender for the bill and she said, "Nope, Bill Murray just picked up everyone's tabs for the rest of the night." Apparently (the story goes -- again I wasn't there but I trust the veracity especially based on the other stories I've heard) he was just walking by saw a bunch of people having a good time, snuck up to a manager, left his credit card and said no one there for the rest of the night had to pay, they (the bar staff) just couldn't say anything until they were leaving. He didn't want to make a big deal out of it I guess.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Bill Murray stories I've heard over the years support the idea that he's both quite generous and quite entitled. I imagine there are many like him in the entertainment business. The first is a good thing that not all people of great wealth can pull off. The second must be like gravity -- hard to escape the pull when no one around you can get away with delivering a negative message.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'll add to the anecdotal Bill Murray is a great guy parade. A friend worked as a bottom rung gopher on movie sets for a while to support his burgeoning film making career he was too lazy to fully pursue. He worked on The Royal Tenenbaums, and ran into Murray frequently. Said he was always friendly, talked to absolutely everyone with no air of pretension, and always cracking jokes.
-Pruitt
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

I love Metal.

Iron Maiden is the greatest band of all time. (I have to say that, right?)

That said, is anyone into any newer metal? I've been listening to Pallbearer and Deafheaven lately. I'm open to suggestions if any of y'all have anything you're into these days.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Weatherfrog wrote:I love Metal.

That said, is anyone into any newer metal? I've been listening to Pallbearer and Deafheaven lately. I'm open to suggestions if any of y'all have anything you're into these days.
I like that genre where the lead singers sound like dogs. Quick search, maybe I'm thinking of Death Growl. Howard Stern used to make fun of it because Richard Christy liked it. Here is a sampling. I could only skip through, as it is fuckawful, but the beginning of #2 sounds like a guy loudly slurping the bottom of a drink with a straw.

-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Mastodon?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Went and saw Arch Enemy and Kreator the other night. Incredible show. Neither newer bands, of course, but still killing it.

Heavy on my rotation these days:

High on Fire
Red Fang
Baroness
Kylesa
Mastadon
Black Tusk
YOB
Agalloch
Windhaven
Wolves in the Throne Room
Amon Amarth
Electric Wizard
spongelikeninja
Jackie Treehorn

Post by spongelikeninja »

P.D.X. wrote:

Went and saw Arch Enemy and Kreator the other night. Incredible show. Neither newer bands, of course, but still killing it.

High on Fire
Red Fang
Baroness
Kylesa
Mastadon
Black Tusk
YOB
Agalloch
Windhaven
Amon Amarth
Electric Wizard
Add:

The Sword
Kverletak
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

serious question for you metalheads: is the Deathklok music any good, compared to the bands you guys like?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

spongelikeninja wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:

High on Fire
Red Fang
Baroness
Kylesa
Mastadon
Black Tusk
YOB
Agalloch
Windhaven
Amon Amarth
Electric Wizard
Add:

The Sword
Kverletak
Yes to both. I saw Kvelertak a couple years ago and it's taken since then (and some delving into black metal) to really get what they're doing. Fortunately caught them again on their last tour with Gojira and Mastadon. But yeah, they're great.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

howard wrote:serious question for you metalheads: is the Deathklok music any good, compared to the bands you guys like?
Tough to say. Dethklok is more death metal and I tend towards the stoner/doom metal end of the spectrum (what fun is it without all the categorizing?), so I'm not sure a direct comparison is fair. That said, it's quite a bit more accessible and enjoyable (to me at least) than typical death. And they've had enough commercial success that I think it's fair to say that they're good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jason Isbell approached by The Voice to appear...as a contestant. Told y'all you should be following his Twitter feed.

Also, Interpol has been stuck in Buffalo for the last 2 days and forced to cancel shows in Toronto and Montreal.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:Jason Isbell approached by The Voice to appear...as a contestant. Told y'all you should be following his Twitter feed.
That's awesome.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:Also, Interpol has been stuck in Buffalo for the last 2 days and forced to cancel shows in Toronto and Montreal.
Screams concept album.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This the all encompassing music thread? If it isn't, whatevs. The new album SHADYXV drops officially tomorrow, but it has leaked to the torrentz and such.

Over a week ago this was uploaded to VEVO:

Seriously, Eminem is ridiculous. That's all freestyle. His part starts at 11:41.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

38 years ago today

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So much goodness in there. Dr. John; Emmylou; Clapton; Muddy Waters; The Staples Singers; Two Neils! (Young and Diamond.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Seriously, Eminem is ridiculous. That's all freestyle. His part starts at 11:41.
You don't honestly believe he (or any of the other guys) actually did that off of the top of his head, do you?
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Its getting mixed reviews, but I really dig the new TV on the Radio album...
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Instead of Chris Berman on ESPN, I'm getting U2 with Chris Martin and then Bruce Springsteen filling in for an injured Bono. Thanks Aids.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Wow, when U2 bailed out on a week on The Tonight Show, I thought I read that it was because Bono broke his arm. Here's what actually happened:
On November 16th, Bono was involved in a high energy bicycle accident when he attempted to avoid another rider. Presented as a Trauma Alert to New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell's Emergency Department, his Trauma Work-up at that time included multiple X-rays and CAT scans showed injuries that include:

1. Left facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye.

2. Left scapula (shoulder blade) fracture in three separate pieces.

3. Left compound distal humerus fracture where the bone of his humerus was driven though his skin and the bone was in six different pieces. He was taken emergently to the operating room for a five-hour surgery Sunday evening where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.

4. One day later, he had surgery to his left hand to repair a fracture of his 5th metacarpal.

He will require intensive and progressive therapy, however a full recovery is expected.

Dean Lorich, MD
Orthopedic Trauma Surgeon
New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and Hospital For Special Surgery
First Dave in Seattle, then Bono. They gotta ban bikes.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EdRomero wrote:Wow, when U2 bailed out on a week on The Tonight Show, I thought I read that it was because Bono broke his arm. Here's what actually happened:
On November 16th, Bono was involved in a high energy bicycle accident when he attempted to avoid another rider. Presented as a Trauma Alert to New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell's Emergency Department, his Trauma Work-up at that time included multiple X-rays and CAT scans showed injuries that include:

1. Left facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye.

2. Left scapula (shoulder blade) fracture in three separate pieces.

3. Left compound distal humerus fracture where the bone of his humerus was driven though his skin and the bone was in six different pieces. He was taken emergently to the operating room for a five-hour surgery Sunday evening where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.

4. One day later, he had surgery to his left hand to repair a fracture of his 5th metacarpal.

He will require intensive and progressive therapy, however a full recovery is expected.

Dean Lorich, MD
Orthopedic Trauma Surgeon
New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and Hospital For Special Surgery
First Dave in Seattle, then Bono. They gotta ban bikes.
Bike accident wasn't me....I had the skiing accident. Wasn't the bike accident Steve from Utah?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Yep. My bad (East Coast Bias - everyone west of the Berkshires are all the same). Sorry.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rolling Stone magazine drifts further and further into irrelevance...

Rolling Stone's top 50 albums of 2014

Their top 2 albums? U2's "Songs Of Innocence" and Bruce Springsteen's "High Hopes"....

I don't think that even the most die-hard U2 and Springsteen would think they were the top albums of the year.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Rolling Stone magazine drifts further and further into irrelevance...

Rolling Stone's top 50 albums of 2014

Their top 2 albums? U2's "Songs Of Innocence" and Bruce Springsteen's "High Hopes"....

I don't think that even the most die-hard U2 and Springsteen would think they were the top albums of the year.
The U2 album got strong reviews, but I think it's getting overpraised. By having so many producers, it's not a cohesive album. The lyrics are getting praised because Bono was more genuine and personal, but his writing is much, much worse than what he did for Auchtung Baby, hell, even All That You Can't Leave Behind. As for if it was the top album of 2014, I just listen to that album and a bunch of DMB, so I'm the wrong person to ask.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Band with the current #3 country album on Itunes, Sundy Best, is from my hometown and the lead singer's girlfriend has an office next to mine.

They've been getting decently popular lately. Got a different kind of sound, as they are a duo where one guy plays guitar and sings while the other uses a cajon drum, which I had only seen used before by Shovels and Rope.

Doubt they will interest many of you, but they have some solid stuff.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

http://www.spotify-yearinmusic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA:

(I only listen to Spotify at work, so overall listening habits aren't really captured here.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Very cool

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Neat use of the data they have on us, though my results are completely skewed by my making every Tuesday afternoon "Duran Duran Tuesday".
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.