Kim Jong-unbelievable (Sony, The Interview, etc.)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Kim Jong-unbelievable (Sony, The Interview, etc.)

Post by A_B »

This is a serious question - for the Johnnies and boxcars of the world. Say this was a legitimate threat, but sony released the movie. So NorKor gets pissed and lauches a missile...what are the chances that hits a target before a) being a shitty missile and landing in the ocean or b) the US military takes it down?

I'm genuinely curious. How fast does something like that mobilize?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So I am reading Full Force And Effect (New Tom Clancy Jack Ryan/Jack Ryan Jr. Novel written by Mark Greaney). It is all about North Korea.

So
1.) Putnam/Penguin Publishing is much tougher than Sony?
2.) Even North Korea realizes nobody reads books any more?
3.) They actually did do something..I mean Clancy passed away in 2013 and the book publishing world just moves really slowly.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Am I missing something or is the whole idea that Sony is a Japanese company getting missed here? Sony pulled the plug on this. Granted, some US theaters decided not to show it, likely from Sony pressure anyway. I don't think the real concern here is that NK can in any way attack US civilians on US soil. It's that they can start shit with Japan, and if the hacking claims are legitimate, Sony has a lot more dirty laundry on the internal side that they don't want the public to see.

Everything I see is spun so that NK took our freedoms away and the US bowed to the pressure. No we didn't. Several major companies made a decision involving their liability in releasing a move that 2 stoners made for 35 mil, which is next to nothing in the movie biz.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
boxcar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by boxcar »

AB_skin_test wrote:This is a serious question - for the Johnnies and boxcars of the world. Say this was a legitimate threat, but sony released the movie. So NorKor gets pissed and lauches a missile...what are the chances that hits a target before a) being a shitty missile and landing in the ocean or b) the US military takes it down?

I'm genuinely curious. How fast does something like that mobilize?
a) 99 if it's aimed at us, maybe 75 if it's aimed at Japan
B) uhhhh... 20?
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

BSF21 wrote:Am I missing something or is the whole idea that Sony is a Japanese company getting missed here? Sony pulled the plug on this. Granted, some US theaters decided not to show it, likely from Sony pressure anyway. I don't think the real concern here is that NK can in any way attack US civilians on US soil. It's that they can start shit with Japan, and if the hacking claims are legitimate, Sony has a lot more dirty laundry on the internal side that they don't want the public to see.

Everything I see is spun so that NK took our freedoms away and the US bowed to the pressure. No we didn't. Several major companies made a decision involving their liability in releasing a move that 2 stoners made for 35 mil, which is next to nothing in the movie biz.
Never even thought of the Japanese angle, that makes more sense.
On the surface it just didn't make any sense to just flush away potentially up to $100 million dollars because of a threat that anyone could see made no sense. Seemed like maybe they had info from authorities that the threat had some legitimacy, but just doesn't seem possible. But retaliation against Sony in Japan at least seems a bit more realistic (or maybe it isn't, i dunno).

I also read the reason they're not releasing it Video-On-Demand is that they have insurance for cancelled movies, but it only pays out for total cancellation, not partial, so they can't release it all if they want to make that claim.

The Steve Carell movie getting shut down is just f'd up.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

What I feel is a real injustice is this thread might have more posts in it than the In Bruges thread in Ye Olde Swampe.

Just had to bring that up becuase holy fuck, was In Bruges a fantastic movie.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote:What I feel is a real injustice is this thread might have more posts in it than the In Bruges thread in Ye Olde Swampe.

Just had to bring that up becuase holy fuck, was In Bruges a fantastic movie.
The profanity is fully called for - that was an absolutely great film.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If it was in danger of being shelved by a Belgian dictator it very well might have gotten more replies.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

BSF21 wrote:…Sony has a lot more dirty laundry on the internal side that they don't want the public to see.
This. Plus
travzilla wrote:…they have insurance for cancelled movies(.)
This (I was unaware of such insurance, but they insure most other aspects of movie making.)

I also figure there is fear of corporate liability for a pipe bomb at a movie theater. This is the best explanation for Paramount's decision to pull Team America. That and their being ginormous pussies.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

howard wrote:From a zerohedge article: Someone is Lying

And just for fun:

ETA: nearly forgot:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Even better, President Obama just called James Franco "James Flacco" and Twitter exploded.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Does that make James Franco elite?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Saw today that the costs for making and marketing "The Interview" push the total investment to $90 million. This still isn't that huge a deal for Sony, but getting insurance for all of that helps fill in the craters their shitty movies make in their budgets.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I presume Rogen and Franco are racing to complete the script for their thinly fictionalized version of this story. They will flip a coin to see who gets to play the leaders of Sony and North Korea. The movie will be the hit of Sundance 2015, then picked up by the new Samsung Films division for wide release. The box office will be boffo.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Friend of mine who moved to Charleston a few years back owns a theatre will be one of the few showing "The Interview."

He's supposed to be on CNN tonight. His name is Paul Brown, and yes, he's a Bengals fan.

http://www.terracetheater.com/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So does anyone actually believe that this isn't either a) complete bullshit or b) Sony/US Government* capitalizing on what would otherwise be a laughable "threat"?

(*A valid argument can be made that Americans would accept more gub'ment restrictions on our internet privacy and freedomz if our entertainment sources were being threatened.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote:So does anyone actually believe that this isn't either a) complete bullshit or b) Sony/US Government* capitalizing on what would otherwise be a laughable "threat"?

(*A valid argument can be made that Americans would accept more gub'ment restrictions on our internet privacy and freedomz if our entertainment sources were being threatened.)
I am not a conspiracy guy - but the fact the the government stuck its nose in is kind of odd.

I lean towards the "complete bullshit" line of reasoning. If North Korea had wanted to unleash terrorism on the USA, it would have done so already. Interfering with the release of a movie, and some corporate sabotage doesn't exactly place the public in jeopardy.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote:So does anyone actually believe that this isn't either a) complete bullshit or b) Sony/US Government* capitalizing on what would otherwise be a laughable "threat"?

Looking less like North Korea, and more like an inside job.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

So the fact that Sony's network was hacked and put offline all day Xmas doesn't convince you of the Hacker's power? The movie was released on the 24th online, next morning no one could get online. They shut down all of ps3/4's and xbox's servers the next day.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

"Boy, is he strict!"

ETA:
Han told the committee that Hyon was executed with anti-aircraft fire – a method cited in various unconfirmed reports as being reserved for senior officials of whom the leadership wishes to make examples.

was there anything left to bury?

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So, this turned out to be bullshit, propaganda from the South Korea spy service to goose justification for budget increases. Dude wasn't even executed, much less torn to bits by an AA gun.This is typically the case, they do this shit quite often. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/ ... 431522581/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy of mention only because this bullshit was repeated by our esteemed sec of state John Kerry. Two days after the story was refuted and newspapers printed retractions. Two days later. That didn't stop Kerry. Fuck I hate these fuckers, they lie in our name to promote war, and they face zero accountability.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:So, this turned out to be bullshit, propaganda from the South Korea spy service to goose justification for budget increases. Dude wasn't even executed, much less torn to bits by an AA gun.This is typically the case, they do this shit quite often. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/ ... 431522581/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy of mention only because this bullshit was repeated by our esteemed sec of state John Kerry. Two days after the story was refuted and newspapers printed retractions. Two days later. That didn't stop Kerry. Fuck I hate these fuckers, they lie in our name to promote war, and they face zero accountability.
pisses me off that I - usually a cynical person who is circumspect in these things - repeated this story many times.

If I had heard it coming out of Kerry's mouth, I would have called bullshit, but sometimes you believe things because you want to believe them.

But even though the cited article is a clarification, it includes this strangely constructed passage:
By late afternoon, the spy agency revised its statement, saying Hyon was purged, but maybe not executed.

"We do have intelligence information that he had been killed by gunfire but that is yet to be verified," a spy agency spokesman told ABC.

But analysts in South Korea said confirmed executions inside North Korea were indicative of diminished loyalty toward North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
So, the original story was a fabrication, but the guy could be dead - because the original source (which lied the first time) now says that they've herd rumours to that effect. And as you know - says another agenda-driven source - the execution of government officials would indicate that the regime is in trouble. What bullshit.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This episode very aptly sums up and reflects the American approach to events in the Ukraine over the past 18 months.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Such cynicism. You probably doubt that Russians shot down the Ukrainian passenger plane.

The US no doubt had every possible surveillance device monitoring everything in the air that was bigger than a sparrow. So any day now they will reveal the air-tight evidence that allowed them to immediately inform us that the Russians were responsible for the brutal massacre of civilians. The delay is no doubt so they don't reveal to the Russians that they have satellites and planes in the air that can do surveillance in hot spots like this. Can't give away state secrets.

Obama has shown remarkable restraint in not escalating the Ukrainian situation after the Russian-trained Ukrainian agents killed all those people at the Boston Marathon. They will stoop to anything.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The really weird thing is Kerry made some downright conciliatory statements during his recent trip to Sochi. He even publicly cautioned our Ukrainian puppet to stop breaking the cease fire. This is while there are several hundred US Army soldiers in Ukraine, training their soldiers and militias. I'm skeptical of Kerry's turnabout, but I welcome the change of policy if it pans out.

Ukraine is set to default on its IMF debt very soon. This is not a surprise, except a year ago I wouldn't have thought Ukraine would default before Greece (but it's gonna be close, although again the Obama Administration has turned 180˚ on financial support for Greece, these clowns do keep you guessing.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I'm waiting for France to become Greece Lite.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That is much more likely than folks realize. It won't be tomorrow or next year, but it's coming. The weakening of the Euro (in no small part because of Greece) has boosted France's exports, staving off the inevitable for a bit.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I'm thinking the Arc de Triomphe would look good in the backyard. Also, Toulouse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Let's make a private equity fund, borrow at 0%, and buy some artwork. Or the Louvre.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Bump...

So when should I buy my Euro's for the trip to Ireland (August)? The best exchange rate I saw was maybe 3 weeks at $1.08. Now it is $1.12, but Greece is voting on the bailouts on 7/5 and that's when shit may get real.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Acknowledge your good fortune and don't try to time your currency buy. What is known is priced into the exchange rates. No one here and very few elsewhere can reliably make money in these trades. So do it any time.

Slight tangent. I recall when exchange rates cased a pitcher of good english beer to be worth under $1 US. I was drinking at a London dive one Friday night after a week of business. A loud jazz-rock band was hammering away, on the occasion of the band breaking up. I was at a table in the corner where I found the only empty chair in the place. The other guy at the table bought a pitcher and poured me some glasses. I tried to buy the next one during a band break, and he told me that as a proper Englishman he couldn't allow it. He was a draftsman in the shipping industry, and typically worked half a year or so and then went on the dole for a half year. He made about 90% of his wages when he was on the dole, as he was at this time. So he figured he should be the one buying for the visiting Yankee, even though I claimed that the beer was almost free from my point of view, due to the dollar's strength.

It was an odd experience for good beer to be almost free. Odder still that I wasn't the one buying that night.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hillary said, "you can do that? Cool."

North Korea bans sarcastic comments about Kim Jong Un's regime

(anybody remember when every hacking attack was blamed on North Korea? Or on China? Funny how those evil countries stopped hacking us, and Putin took over the franchise.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Weird timing for a bump but apparently they did another Nuke test.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My timing can be likened to the proverbial broken clock. But, nailed it!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Oh, we're all really impressed Howard.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

WikiLeaks?

How the mighty have fallen.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not the first or last reputation totally torn to shreds by worshipping at the altar of Trump.