2013 Boston Marathon

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Re: 2013 Boston Marathon

Post by BuffloSoldier »

garyclark wrote:
BuffloSoldier wrote:ABC reporting someone involved goes to Dartmouth and the school is on lockdown.
UMass-Dartmouth, not Dartmouth University
What he said--listening half-assed to TV while surfing and trying to keep up on my phone w/Twitter.
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

Jerloma wrote:When you're showing live footage of every move these SWAT teams are making, aren't you helping the suspect or at least compromising the safety of the officers?
I don't think most of the footage is live. Almost none of what I've seen is.

In fact, I thought something was happening because the police asked the news not to show live coverage.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

garyclark wrote:
Jerloma wrote:When you're showing live footage of every move these SWAT teams are making, aren't you helping the suspect or at least compromising the safety of the officers?
I don't think most of the footage is live. Almost none of what I've seen is.

In fact, I thought something was happening because the police asked the news not to show live coverage.
Oh. The Today Show was showing live footage in Watertown this morning.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

AB_skin_test wrote:Listening to that scanner feed.

http://tunein.com/radio/Boston-Police-F ... r-s146109/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They haven't said anything else about it, so not sure what the story was there. I'm not better than the broadcast news, mind you. Just pure speculation.

They just said Brian Foley. Wasn't that someone who shouldn't be named?
Most everyone knows a Brian Foley though.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BuffloSoldier wrote:A. Damn. This shit is crazy. Been up since 5:00, and took me until 6ish to get through my Twitter feed (Tweetbot only loaded the last 800ish tweets, so I missed out on most of the earlier events last night/early AM). My money's on others involved.

B. Finally got my ass here to Swamp 6.0.
My legs were asleep since my morning trip to the Irish library took about 20 minutes longer than usual.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev ‏@Dzhokhar_A 51s

@Boston_Police Do not approach.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev ‏@Dzhokhar_A 51s

@Boston_Police Do not approach.
Can you interpret that for us non-Tweeters?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It's a twitter account (possibly fake) with the name of the suspect and 51 seconds before I posted that it tweeted "Do Not Approach"

Probably fake if I were a betting man.
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

There's a developing situation in Watertown. Media pushed way back, snipers taking positions.

There's now a report of a third suspect, and another bomb discovered in a public transit station.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

"If they kill my second child, I will know that it is an inside job, a hit job. The police are to blame," the father told ABC News. "Someone, some organization is out to get them."

WTF. yeah, the Boston PD and the FBI. Those are the the organizations out to get them. If he's innocent, surrender.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boston-bomb-su ... XFgnYLR1EY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

garyclark wrote:And now they're interviewing the alleged uncle of the guys. Ruslan Tsarni. Said they'd been here since 2000-01.

He's saying that the father and mother moved back to Russia. This guy clearly wasn't close to them. Hadn't been in touch since 2009. Called his brother borderline illiterate.

Called the older brother Tamerlan a loser for not going to college. "Wish they never existed."

Just mumbled about Islam. And AOL. Potential hoax in my mind.

Just saw his in-person interview. Feel bad for this guy and his family. He could not be answering these questions any better.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Even Al Capone's mother insisted he was innocent, and merely a victim of the authorities.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:Even Al Capone's mother insisted he was innocent, and merely a victim of the authorities.
But had she even looked at his 1040s?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Even Al Capone's mother insisted he was innocent, and merely a victim of the authorities.
But had she even looked at his 1040s?
Nice
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Have they burned him out yet? Oh, wait, this isn't LA. (Or Philly. Or Waco.)

ETA: From theatlanticwire.com (which seems to have done a nice job this morning on calm reporting)
THE LATEST (11:23 a.m. ET): Ruslan Tsarni, the uncle of the bombing suspects spoke with reporters, saying his family is "ashamed." His brother, the suspects' father, is now back in Russia. The family are ethnic Chechens. When asked what provoked the attack, his answer was simple: "Being losers." He also said that "any connection to Islam … is a fake," though he admitted he hasn't seen his nephews in years. The suspects, he insists, have never been to Chechnya.

He gave a massge to his nephew:

If you're alive, turn yourself in. And ask for forgiveness from the victims from the injured. Ask forgiveness from these people. … He brought a shame on our family. He brought a shame on the entire Chechen ethnicity.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

reporter: "what do you think of America?"

of course i knew it was coming but it still makes me cringe. somebody let me know when the first sign of quality journalism is spotted.
howard
Karl Hungus

Interlude, of the musical variety

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:Suspect 1: Mike Mulugeta.
Johnnie wrote:Police scanners said the 2nd dude is Sunil Tripathi, the missing Brown student.
And that's precisely why you should not repeat unsubstantiated rubbish. Those two guys, whoever they are, had their names reditted, tweeted, facefucked, name it, a million billion times last night. Hell, reddit went nuts over some photo of "Sunil" because it was definitely confirmed to be the same guy! as the FBI photo.

As always, dead wrong.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

"Tsarnaev tweeted this, Tsarnaev tweeted that"

There is no proof that it is really his account. Didn't stop that site from assuming it is.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Scottie wrote:

There is no proof that it is really his account. Didn't stop that site from assuming it is.
Hey, I reserved judgement with the "?".
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:Have they burned him out yet? Oh, wait, this isn't LA. (Or Philly. Or Waco.)
Give it time.

Maybe resurrect your poll from the LA guy.

My vote is "kills himself as the cops are closing in."
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fbi reporting that manatee team eleven moving into position.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:

But it said a cached photo matched his! What more proof do you need? Gawker isn't exactly a source of journalism. They did a take down piece of me FFS. They are that far below TMZ.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:
Scottie wrote:

But it said a cached photo matched his! What more proof do you need? Gawker isn't exactly a source of journalism. They did a take down piece of me FFS. They are that far below TMZ.
No, rass, your post is framed well.

Like Syb says, these sites that proclaim themselves media and then pass on pure rumor as if it is pure fact is the disheartening thing.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Yikes. The Aunt, speaking from Toronto, is a complete nutcase. Right now she's claiming the boys were set up, presumably by the FBI, and that she's been set up "her whole life" starting in Soviet countries.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Scottie wrote:
No, rass, your post is framed well.

Like Syb says, these sites that proclaim themselves media and then pass on pure rumor as if it is pure fact is the disheartening thing.
But it's Gawker. Daily readers of Gawker or people who know what Gawker is should know better. Then again, people are idiots. It is a nice looking professional page, and I guess if you never heard of Gawker, you could see it and assume it was a legit news source and forget that you are reading the internet and shut off your brain and believe what you read... What really has me disheartened is the NY Post. I really should know better than to be pissed off by the Post. I really should. It Murdoch, and the worst of Murdoch's American papers, but still. What the Post has done in covering this story is horrifying and I'll be really pissed if there are no consequences.

What I am really amazed at is the number of people who have no ability to discern satire. None. Clearly satirical articles on satire sites, and half the comments are refuting the "facts" and arguing with the authors while the other half try to explain that it is a satire site. Then the original poster will argue back that the article just proves Fox News is right about the Liberal Media making up facts and stories to prove their point.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Rush, an important bit of information here is that the house they're investigating is a block or two from All-Star. I think I speak for both of us when i say i hope no poutine comes to harm as a result of this controlled explosion...
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Gawker is a satire site? See, I never look at that sort of site. Ever. I thought it was some sort of TMZ gossip rag. No matter.

The NY Post was bad. But, over night last night, the Boston Globe had to be every bit as off-base. They kept changing their (gigantic) headline over and over, reporting any random rumor they came across as "the latest". It got laughable, so bad it was, around 4:00 - 5:00 AM (Boston time). It's still overblown.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Scottie wrote:Gawker is a satire site? See, I never look at that sort of site. Ever. I thought it was some sort of TMZ gossip rag. No matter.
Yeah, is that what you meant Syb? Because that is kind of how it came off.

At the very least, they've been decent about admitting when they get shit wrong this week, but with a story like this there is a struggle treading the line between being a media critic and a media source.
howard
Karl Hungus

Terrorism works

Post by howard »

So, we have one 19yo murderer. Maybe a second suspect. (We will be able to clearly comprehend what the authorities knew and when in retrospect.)

In response, an entire metro region of 5 million people is essentially shut down. All public transportation shut down. A major transportation corridor (Amtrak) shut down *(Sure, there may well be specific data and reasons for this shutdown that will be made public later--this particular measure may have been essential). A major airport severely disrupted (aren't our airports supposed to be secure already?). The totality of the lockdown response, the breadth of the lockdown, and the mentality that goes hand-in-glove with the actions is the point, not any specific security measure.

Millions of people told to cower in their homes, miles and miles away from the last known sighting. 90-some percent compliance with that directive, I am going to guess.

For one 19yo with a pressure cooker and a gun or two.

This terror shit really works. Imagine if there were two of them at large!!!

Of course precautions in the wake of a mass murder and the hunt for the assholes who did it are appropriate. You have a school shooter, shut down the neighboring schools and the streets in the area.

Shut down an entire major city? This is a clear, unmistakable lesson to the next terror group/crazed individual. Just as clear to those in public service who seek to control the population through fear and terror.

This far out of proportion fear and panic, this success of terror tactics to produce the behavior terror hopes to provoke and produce, bums me out tremendously about America.

Keep Calm and Carry On. Or not.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Lest I be accused of hyperbole. Not the *entire* city of Boston is on lockdown:

Boston Dunkin' Donuts Remain Open To 'Take Care Of Law Enforcement And First Responders'

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Re: Terrorism works

Post by Scottie »

howard wrote: . . . This terror shit really works. Imagine if there were two of them at large!!!

Of course precautions in the wake of a mass murder and the hunt for the assholes who did it are appropriate. You have a school shooter, shut down the neighboring schools and the streets in the area.

Shut down an entire major city? This is a clear, unmistakable lesson to the next terror group/crazed individual. Just as clear to those in public service who seek to control the population through fear and terror.

This far out of proportion fear and panic, this success of terror tactics to produce the behavior terror hopes to provoke and produce, bums me out tremendously about America.

Keep Calm and Carry On. Or not.
Exactly.

This is exacerbated by a police chief going on air and claiming that there is a terrorist running around whose only goal is to kill as many people as possible (instead of, say, fleeing the scene) and by major networks reporting everything as "breaking news" where all they really report is "this may be happening, it's possible that, this could be, this might be, the suspect may be thinking that, yada blah blah." Because that's journalism.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fuck me. The terrorists have won.
howard wrote:Lest I be accused of hyperbole. Not the *entire* city of Boston is on lockdown:

Boston Dunkin' Donuts Remain Open To 'Take Care Of Law Enforcement And First Responders'
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm reposting something I dropped on some friends in another forum.

* Why didn't these guys flee? Could they possibly have thought, with all the coverage showing the thousands of cameras shown on the news, that they weren't going to be found out? Even if their initial plan was to (naively) feel like they could stay, you'd have to think they would've made quick plans to leave the night of the bombings. Tuesday night? Wednesday???

* If you take the 7-11 as a robbery, what the Hell? They couldn't just get some gas and get on the road? You stop in a place that is probably the most on-edge spot on the planet and try to hold somebody up? It's mind-boggling that they wouldn't have put some thought into the "what ifs" of having to leave. They didn't have enough money to at least get on the road?

* What was going on with all of these extra explosives? Did they have something else planned? If so, that flies in the face of that second bullet point. Even if it's not another actual bombing, it seems to show some kind of forethought. So, again, what the Hell were they really thinking? And the answer can't be, nothing, they are stupid, because, while amateurs they definitely had some kind of plan for all of this.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There is a level of overreaction for sure. But a few things seems almost necessary given that they were in a manhunt this morning.

1)All roads out closed/monitored. Trunk checks, etc. at a bare minimum.

2) All places where a guy could blend in also put a large number of people in immediate danger if he had explosives, which is a reasonable enough suspicion. that would be train/subway/bus stations.

I mean, it's not like they shut the city down while they looked all over in a baseless. They were in an active pursuit, and must still feel like they have a general location.

Plus if everyone is sheltering in place, then anyone moving about would be easier to spot.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'd also place decent odds on the second guy already being dead.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

In the take it for what it's worth category:

CBS reporting that one of Jahar's classmates hung out with him YESTERDAY on UMass campus at some point between 11am-noon. The talked for 10 minutes, he got a ride from Jahar across campus, and then the parted ways. No sign, at all, that anything was amiss.

If true, that's pretty remarkable.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote:Gawker isn't exactly a source of journalism. They did a take down piece of me FFS.
Wait ... what?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

AB_skin_test wrote:I'd also place decent odds on the second guy already being dead.
That's what I'd bet on.