Return of Confessions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by tennbengal »

MaxWebster wrote:'87 grad and i'm proud to say i've also seen neither. <*internet high-fives tennbengal*>

hello boys.

tennbengal wrote:I haven't seen Top Gun or Footloose.

Graduated HS in 1988 to put that in context.
Fuck yes. Welcome back.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As part of our satellite TV package, we get the Big Ten Network.

Sometimes I'll watch the women's volleyball.

Like for an entire set at a time...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:As part of our satellite TV package, we get the Big Ten Network.

Long legs, extremely short and tight shorts, athletic asses. Why the confession?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:

Long legs, extremely short and tight shorts, athletic asses. Why the confession?
Age thing maybe.

But it is highly recommended.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Age thing maybe.

Good point. College girls crosses into lecherous territory, but volleyball girls tend not to look like kids, so I think this can slide.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Age thing maybe.

Good point. College girls crosses into lecherous territory, but volleyball girls tend not to look like kids, so I think this can slide.
Thank you, I feel absolved.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got the Purdue-Nebraska game recorded.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I've been contacted by a, uh, very popular reality show to gauge my interest in appearing on it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:
Is Big Red still really good? Had a friend that played for UNM back in the day and I used to follow it a bit.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
Is Big Red still really good? Had a friend that played for UNM back in the day and I used to follow it a bit.
17-7 after crushing Purdue!

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Until I actually clicked on it, I thought the "Who's Lit?" thread was about reading literature.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote:Until I actually clicked on it, I thought the "Who's Lit?" thread was about reading literature.
Now, that is funny.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote:Until I actually clicked on it, I thought the "Who's Lit?" thread was about reading literature.
And the [insert season] Reading Threads are actually about who is currently using illicit drugs. Reading is the Swamp code word for shooting up smack.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Totally thought The Man Who Sold The World was a Nirvana tune.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Totally thought The Man Who Sold The World was a Nirvana tune.
Same
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I heard a version of Kris Kristofferson singing Sunday Morning Coming Down and was all "Leave it to Johnny Cash!" only to find out that it is Kristofferson's song.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sadly most people think the same of In The Pines (Where Did You Sleep Last Night.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Don't feel bad, J-Lo. I thought "Landslide" was a Smashing Pumpkins song until at least the early 2000s.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

L-Jam3 wrote:Don't feel bad, J-Lo. I thought "Landslide" was a Smashing Pumpkins song until at least the early 2000s.
I think I did too for a few years. Then FM made a comeback sometime around 98-99 and Stevie and Lindsay did a live recording of that song that ended up being all over the place.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB_skin_test wrote:I heard a version of Kris Kristofferson singing Sunday Morning Coming Down and was all "Leave it to Johnny Cash!" only to find out that it is Kristofferson's song.
I now think a little less of you.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I heard a version of Kris Kristofferson singing Sunday Morning Coming Down and was all "Leave it to Johnny Cash!" only to find out that it is Kristofferson's song.
I now think a little less of you.
I probably deserve that. But I came into my outlaw country listening pretty late.

In my defense, Cash recorded it the same year Kristofferson did and is far and away the best/most played version of the song.

We don't consider "Crazy" a Willie Nelson song!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Which one, Seal's or Gnarls Barkley's?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote:Which one, Seal's or Gnarls Barkley's?

Fun fact, Willie Nelson wrote all of them!

You ever seen Seal, Willie Nelson and Cee Lo in the same room?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:

You ever gotten high with Willie?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Giff wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:

I got high with some of his band when they were at Centre College for a concert and met Willie backstage later, but I didn't actually smoke with him. Unless you count the transitive property of blazing as he was stoned as fuck when I talked to him.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Bensell wrote:
Giff wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:

I got high with some of his band when they were at Centre College for a concert and met Willie backstage later, but I didn't actually smoke with him. Unless you count the transitive property of blazing as he was stoned as fuck when I talked to him.

Points!
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

God help me, I may have to fake an injury rather than go downstairs and watch TV with my wife.

And she's not even mad at me...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't care if the patriots deflated those footballs.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Anyone who voices their opinion on the deflated football thing should be required to state their opinion on baseball steroid users for comparative analysis.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

NO NO NO THATS TOTALLY DIFFERENT DID YOU NOT READ THE MITCHELL REPORT???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Stupid Butterfly Kisses almost got me last night. Daddy/daughter dance at school, dancing with my oldest to that song. Internally mocking it's earnestness. Made it through the daughter as a teenager, kissing daddy in the cheek instead verse, and the kid looks up and says "daddy, can you pick me up?" From then on the internal monologue was "she's in third grade so we only have one more of these dances, and nine years old and how much longer will she let me pick her up, and shit I'm 40, and shit my wife is turning 40 tomorrow, and shit everything moves so fast..." I kept it together, but it was close.

Bonus sort of related almost cry callback when I heard the Sarah McLachlan song from Toy Story 2 on the radio this morning. Kids growing up will kill you.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

My oldest will leave home in a matter of weeks, not even 18. In many ways she's already gone. She is doing her own thing. She spends a lot of time elsewhere with her (first) boyfriend. A few weeks ago she booked herself a cheap flight to San Francisco and went out for four days without having a place to sleep; it worked out great.

I've gone a long ways to encourage her independence, so I'm thrilled for her. But there are a lot of 'last times' happening now, and it is breaking my heart. Our home will never be the same. I'm sad for myself, but especially for our youngest. She depends greatly on her older sister, and has an autistic child's terror of change. Tears come to my eyes every few days.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:My oldest will leave home in a matter of weeks, not even 18. In many ways she's already gone. She is doing her own thing. She spends a lot of time elsewhere with her (first) boyfriend. A few weeks ago she booked herself a cheap flight to San Francisco and went out for four days without having a place to sleep; it worked out great.

I've gone a long ways to encourage her independence, so I'm thrilled for her. But there are a lot of 'last times' happening now, and it is breaking my heart. Our home will never be the same. I'm sad for myself, but especially for our youngest. She depends greatly on her older sister, and has an autistic child's terror of change. Tears come to my eyes every few days.
That's some poignant stuff, DC. Hope it works out for your younger one. I admire your willingness to let go with your oldest. My only daughter is a freshman in high school, and really wanting to be more and more independent. My wife and I admire this, but are having a hell of a time allowing anywhere near as much of it as she wants. There is just so much to worry about in this world.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:Stupid Butterfly Kisses almost got me last night. Daddy/daughter dance at school, dancing with my oldest to that song. Internally mocking it's earnestness. Made it through the daughter as a teenager, kissing daddy in the cheek instead verse, and the kid looks up and says "daddy, can you pick me up?" From then on the internal monologue was "she's in third grade so we only have one more of these dances, and nine years old and how much longer will she let me pick her up, and shit I'm 40, and shit my wife is turning 40 tomorrow, and shit everything moves so fast..." I kept it together, but it was close.

Bonus sort of related almost cry callback when I heard the Sarah McLachlan song from Toy Story 2 on the radio this morning. Kids growing up will kill you.
This doesn't affect me, this doesn't affect me, this doesn't ...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:
rass wrote:Stupid Butterfly Kisses almost got me last night. Daddy/daughter dance at school, dancing with my oldest to that song. Internally mocking it's earnestness. Made it through the daughter as a teenager, kissing daddy in the cheek instead verse, and the kid looks up and says "daddy, can you pick me up?" From then on the internal monologue was "she's in third grade so we only have one more of these dances, and nine years old and how much longer will she let me pick her up, and shit I'm 40, and shit my wife is turning 40 tomorrow, and shit everything moves so fast..." I kept it together, but it was close.

This doesn't affect me, this doesn't affect me, this doesn't ...
Fuck, I teared up just reading this. I get that way anytime Harper is sweet to me. She's at that age where she just adores me and always wants to give random hugs. I want time to stop. Well, maybe not a pregnant wife and unpacked house. Time can stop in September.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its "worse" once the second kid is born because the oldest one gets much older instantly.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:
DC47 wrote:My oldest will leave home in a matter of weeks, not even 18. In many ways she's already gone. She is doing her own thing. She spends a lot of time elsewhere with her (first) boyfriend. A few weeks ago she booked herself a cheap flight to San Francisco and went out for four days without having a place to sleep; it worked out great.

That's some poignant stuff, DC. Hope it works out for your younger one. I admire your willingness to let go with your oldest. My only daughter is a freshman in high school, and really wanting to be more and more independent. My wife and I admire this, but are having a hell of a time allowing anywhere near as much of it as she wants. There is just so much to worry about in this world.
No one can tell in the long term how life will treat our youngest. There is no real solution in our society for someone with her limitations. We can only hope to provide a boatload of money to her older sister in hopes that she can buy partial solutions to some of the challenges that will come when we're gone, and hope that her love for her younger sister prevails. And that this unusual burden doesn't limit her own life too much.

Regarding the somewhat radical liberation of our older one, to a large extent this is my personal philosophy playing out. Life circumstances forced me to seize my own early liberation as a teen. This certainly combined with my intellectual inclination to make me prone to approach parenting in a somewhat different way than those around me. To a lesser extent, my wife has a similar view, though it stems from being over-protected as a youth.

But my wife realizes that however much we want to stop the clock and provide 24/7 security, our daughter is headed out the door soon. My wife really started getting this when Daughter #1 was 15 and a junior in high school. Suddenly she was living with a family in France in February, studying part-time at UMich, and then flying off to study at Brown in the summer. Each of these things seemed reasonable, taken alone, and not all that risky. Taken as a whole though, and it became clear that we were suddenly letting our 15 year-old live the life of a college junior.

It seemed like a foolish choice to "protect" (i.e., control) her right up until the time she leaves town, perhaps but not exclusively for college, and then have her suddenly start learning the lessons that life offers the young. Better that she hits the first metaphorical ditch(es) when we're nearby, than when we're not. She's also proven to have great judgment for a teen and leans heavily towards the cautious end of things. So her conduct made our parental bravery a little less so. She's certainly more free than anyone she knows at this age, and than several college sophomores with whom she hangs out. Of course, we'll only see how this plays out in time.

We're still brave though. Saturday night found D#1 canoeing on an ice-strewn river with her new boy friend, then going to a bonfire party with people she didn't know around 40 miles from home, followed by a dinner after midnight in the most notorious punk diner around. We were only mildly anxious when we heard about this when she came home.

To put this in context, I have canoed with her in more dangerous settings out west even when she was 12. I started taking her to wilderness bonfire parties filled with alcohol and strangers and such when she was five; she loved them then, so there's a reason she thinks this is fun with teens. I used to take her to eat at the punk diner (though not at 1am when the post-bar crowd takes over), which is a classic of it's kind. The goths and motorcycle guys are friendly enough -- you learn this quickly as the tables are shared. To a large extent, D#1 was well-trained to live the life of an emancipated teen. She has seen many other mildly dicey situations (e.g., our Detroit adventures, the hotel with the hookers in the lobby, the favorite 50s drive-in near the crack zone) and knows something about how to handle herself. She's ready to take on more, and without training wheels.

I am certainly a frightened parent. But I would be far more frightened right now if we had controlled D#1 the way the other parents control their precious little angels around here. She's going to face challenges, and needs skills. It is certain that she will need more independence of spirit and strength in adversity than most due simply to the massive problem of managing the life of her little sister after we're gone. This is a lot to have on your plate when you think about your future at 17. We only wish that we could do more to help her prepare for this. Protecting her is almost certainly not the best way. That's what we keep telling ourselves.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When I need to print something, I go to the library.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DC, it sounds like you have set D1 up very well for the life ahead of her. My wife and I try as hard as we can to let my kids roam and explore and expose them to more adult things. My older two are still relatively cautious about things, but I'd like to see them become as self-sufficient as possible before they set off out of our home. Thanks for sharing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:DC, it sounds like you have set D1 up very well for the life ahead of her. My wife and I try as hard as we can to let my kids roam and explore and expose them to more adult things. My older two are still relatively cautious about things, but I'd like to see them become as self-sufficient as possible before they set off out of our home. Thanks for sharing.
My third grader keeps debating the merits of living in a dorm or living at home in college. He wants to live at school, but he thinks he might miss us. I told him he will have a much different feeling about that 18.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:DC, it sounds like you have set D1 up very well for the life ahead of her. My wife and I try as hard as we can to let my kids roam and explore and expose them to more adult things. My older two are still relatively cautious about things, but I'd like to see them become as self-sufficient as possible before they set off out of our home. Thanks for sharing.
My third grader keeps debating the merits of living in a dorm or living at home in college. He wants to live at school, but he thinks he might miss us. I told him he will have a much different feeling about that 18.
The more and more I think about it, the more I think that a gap year after HS sounds like a good idea. Figure out how to be self sufficient in the world before going to college. I doubt my kids will be that independent though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.