Brainstorming needed

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Brainstorming needed

Post by BuffloSoldier »

So...I need some brainstorming from the collective hive here.

I won yesterday, as some of you who follow me on Twitter, a 10K "gift card"/store credit at Stubhub at Draft Kings. I got incredibly lucky with a good, but not great roster, in a contest that for some reason only had 327 entrants.

Been told I can't get cash equivalent, was expecting that, but hoping to change minds.

If I can't get straight cash, homey (TM, Mr. Moss), any ideas of what to do with it? I doubt I'll be able to attend many games in my near future, or for most of 2015.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Brainstorming needed

Post by A_B »

Can you transfer it to someone else, who might buy it from you for 5 grand? Or just be a middle man and offer the tickets to friends who then pay you the face value?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

AB_skin_test wrote:Can you transfer it to someone else, who might buy it from you for 5 grand? Or just be a middle man and offer the tickets to friends who then pay you the face value?
I don't know, honestly. Those are both options, but with the amount I have the latter might be unwieldy.

I thought about EBay, but am not sure if they'd take an amount that high.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Can you transfer it to someone else, who might buy it from you for 5 grand? Or just be a middle man and offer the tickets to friends who then pay you the face value?
Yeah, seems like you should be able to sell it for at least 50 cents on the dollar. Maybe even more like 60 or 70, especially with the Super Bowl coming up.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

brian wrote:
Yeah, seems like you should be able to sell it for at least 50 cents on the dollar. Maybe even more like 60 or 70, especially with the Super Bowl coming up.
I would hope for more that 50-70%, but might have to settle for that, sadly. Especially since I'm on the hook for the entire thing with Uncle Sam.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BuffloSoldier wrote:
brian wrote:
I would hope for more that 50-70%, but might have to settle for that, sadly. Especially since I'm on the hook for the entire thing with Uncle Sam.
Might want to do a little legwork this week to see if anything similar is on eBay. I really think this next week or so might be your best chance to sell it at a good price. If I were in the market for Super Bowl tickets, I would gladly pay you $7500 for it if it'll save me 25 percent on the tickets. Gotta be some other people out there who might think the same way.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

brian wrote:
BuffloSoldier wrote:
brian wrote:
Might want to do a little legwork this week to see if anything similar is on eBay. I really think this next week or so might be your best chance to sell it at a good price. If I were in the market for Super Bowl tickets, I would gladly pay you $7500 for it if it'll save me 25 percent on the tickets. Gotta be some other people out there who might think the same way.
On Ebay, the SH gift cards for sale go from $25-100. Plus Ebay gets their cut there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, good point on that. That's a lot of money, so you'd really have to trust someone to do some kind of a private sale though. At least with eBay you have protections. See, if the NFL hadn't dicked over the Lions a few weeks ago I'd be writing you a check right now.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Does it expire? Can you just start using it piece by piece. Opening Day for the O's and Nats, Ravens and Skins would be popular buys. Just buy them and resell them? Wizards/Caps playoffs? Taylor Swift and One Direction are coming to Nats Stadium this summer. Just trying to think of hot tix in the VA/DC area.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Can you purchase tickets, donate them and take the write off?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Or maybe just buy individual tickets as a "broker". Someone wants to buy tickets, only you do it for them and charge 80% (or whatever) of the purchase price. They pay you in cash.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'd buy superbowl tix and try to move them to phoenix hotels.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

So...anybody need a ticket to anything, anywhere?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BuffloSoldier wrote:So...anybody need a ticket to anything, anywhere?
I'd probably pay 50% of Stubhub prices to you for good Lightning tickets. I have no idea what % of Stubhub value you want, or what Lightning games I would want to attend, but we could probably work something out. I assume you would just buy the tix (would have to be downloadable), and email them to me, then I'd paypal you the money?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

govmentchedda wrote:
BuffloSoldier wrote:So...anybody need a ticket to anything, anywhere?
I'd probably pay 50% of Stubhub prices to you for good Lightning tickets. I have no idea what % of Stubhub value you want, or what Lightning games I would want to attend, but we could probably work something out. I assume you would just buy the tix (would have to be downloadable), and email them to me, then I'd paypal you the money?
That's an option--I'm still hoping against hope I can just sell the gift code for near face value, whole hog.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Another option would be to buy tix on Stubhub and then turn around and list them on Stubhub. You'd likely lose the stubhub fee per transaction, but if you bought and sold for the same amount, you'd likely clear 80% or so of the total $10k. Might be labor intensive, and risky though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

C'mon AB...buy those Final Four tickets! No way UK doesn't make it there!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You could probably get a seat a few rows behind homeplate for the Yankees' Tuesday, August 18th game against the Twins.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Trying to avoid the buy/resell option because of the time involved. I have no idea how much of my time is going to be taken up by my wife's recovery plus Calla plus my real job. :)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote:Does it expire? Can you just start using it piece by piece. Opening Day for the O's and Nats, Ravens and Skins would be popular buys. Just buy them and resell them? Wizards/Caps playoffs? Taylor Swift and One Direction are coming to Nats Stadium this summer. Just trying to think of hot tix in the VA/DC area.
This.

And I'm not even kidding when I say my 14 yo daughter could go through the various groups out there and set you up to double/triple that money.

We bought 6 Ed Sheeran tickets, knowing we only needed 4. We almost paid for the four with the two we sold via Stubhub.

I mean, if that doesn't expire, you could use this almost like a rainy day fund.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

There is no expiration date save the desire to use this as a method of paying bills for my wife's treatment/a slush fun for a trip to Disney when this is all behind us.
boxcar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by boxcar »

In the meantime, lets start cookin' some meth.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

WTF. Just paid 4 figures for a pair of tix to this weekends Royal Rumble for me and my 7 yr old. He's going to be super pumped as the tix are pretty awesome. And if I just checked the swamp more frequently, would have possibly been able to save a little cabbage while helping out a fellow swamper.
oh shit...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:C'mon AB...buy those Final Four tickets! No way UK doesn't make it there!

I considered it!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

(looks at Super Bowl ticket prices)

Fuck. Fuck. Fuckedity fuck fuck.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

HaulCitgo wrote:I'd buy superbowl tix and try to move them to phoenix hotels.
*(#*$()#*(#.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/super-bowl ... 7-nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(expletive filled tirade here)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Doubt it'll make you feel any better, but it was a gamble either way. You could have theoretically scooped up four tickets for say $2,750 each and then taken a beating.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I agree with Brian. When the Steelers Cardinals Super Bowl was here in town, my dad had the opportunity to purchase SB tix as a Bucs' season ticket holder. We ended up making a little bit of money on the deal, but not that much, and it was stressful as hell, having committed about $1k towards the purchase of the pair.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Then again, stress is pretty relative.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Buy Pacquiao - Mayweather tickets to resell as we get closer to the fight.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aw shit...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.