2014 Fantasy Football Complains/Brags/Help Catchall

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: 2014 Fantasy Football Complains/Brags/Help Catchall

Post by tennbengal »

Manning's fourth pick dropped the team I was playing from ahead to behind. So Bengals sealed the playoff berth, finally beat Manning, and got me the 3rd place pot in my main league. So that was nice.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote:Think I will take the Dolphins - but not happily.
Ecstatically happy to report that once Jason Garrett announced that he was playing his starters, I picked Dallas.

17-0 rolling into the playoffs. 6 of us in first, 20 or so one game back. Great spot to be in.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congrats, Giff. Regardless of Sybian's comment, winning an 18 team regular season and then the playoffs are admirable accomplishments.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Congrats, Giff. Regardless of Sybian's comment, winning an 18 team regular season and then the playoffs are admirable accomplishments.
I'm just bitter about getting stuck playing in that league. Missing the draft and getting stuck with players I hate didn't help.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thought I'd post it here as this seems like the best spot for pool related stuff.

I've mentioned before that I am in a "3 Strikes Your Out" survivor pool. Specifics of the rules aren't important, but, if New England wins tomorrow and then loses to the NFC winner, I will be collecting $14K.

Any other scenario, and I'll get my $100 entry fee back.

Lord have mercy!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:Thought I'd post it here as this seems like the best spot for pool related stuff.

I've mentioned before that I am in a "3 Strikes Your Out" survivor pool. Specifics of the rules aren't important, but, if New England wins tomorrow and then loses to the NFC winner, I will be collecting $14K.

Lord have mercy!
Damn, good luck. I think you have a decent shot at that, too.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Thought I'd post it here as this seems like the best spot for pool related stuff.

Lord have mercy!
Damn, good luck. I think you have a decent shot at that, too.
Okay, shit just got real.

It would even be worth my while to get on a plane and lay off a big wager at a sports book.

Any advice - please PM me concerning online sites etc.

Oh my!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

…parlay w/prop bet over/under length of the national anthem.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Should clarify - as I have never used an online betting site, I have no idea how to use them, which ones are reputable etc.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

For $7K, I fly to Vegas to place the bet in person.

(A friend texted the opening line he heard was Seattle -2.5 which would be the most amazing thing in the world for you.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy shit Pruitt.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:For $7K, I fly to Vegas to place the bet in person.

(A friend texted the opening line he heard was Seattle -2.5 which would be the most amazing thing in the world for you.)
That's being considered - a day or two in the desert would be great as well. And as I was drifting off last night I was imaging Hauschka kicking a game winning field goal to put the Seahawks up by a point with no time on the clock.

Sweet dreams indeed.

This is like the culmination of a lifetime of pool betting, and I'll be damned if I am walking away with nothing.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Pruitt--do you have tickets to the game?

If not, PM me--I might be able to help (and you, help me).

Edit: Nevermind--you meant Vegas, not Arizona.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Because I'm a downer ... is this pool a 100% lock or is there any chance you could win and then get fucked? Because losing $7K versus winning atleast $7K would be really shitty.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Because I'm a downer ... is this pool a 100% lock or is there any chance you could win and then get fucked? Because losing $7K versus winning atleast $7K would be really shitty.
Nope - here's the link to the pool (my last name is Young) http://www.ducey.com/pool2003/14wk20.html

So the Seahawks win, I get $12,360 (which is more than $14,000 Canadian). Pats win, I get nothing from the pool. So I'm sitting pretty if I've got cash bet on the Pats.

And thanks for the offer BuffaloSoldier - but I won't be using this money for a Super Bowl trip - it's being earmarked for a trip to France for the Euros next summer!

Oh, this is too much for my brain. Have calls this afternoon with friends of mine who are lawyers and heavy gamblers to discuss online betting options. Needless to say, it is very hard to focus on work right now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Holy shit, that other dude is guaranteed $12K with another $49K on a New England win?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Holy shit, that other dude is guaranteed $12K with another $49K on a New England win?
Even better, it looks like he would have gotten nothing had GB won, but once Seattle won he was guaranteed the minimum $12K no matter the AFC result.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
mister d wrote:Holy shit, that other dude is guaranteed $12K with another $49K on a New England win?
Even better, it looks like he would have gotten nothing had GB won, but once Seattle won he was guaranteed the minimum $12K no matter the AFC result.
And I found the end of that game exciting, and I didn't even have a preference for who would win.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I spent days agonizing over whether to pick Seattle or New England this past weekend, knowing that if I guessed wrong, the best I'd be able to do would be a free entry for next season's pool. When the picks were revealed on Saturday afternoon I let out a hell of a cheer.

I've been in this pool for a decade and the best Ive ever done is winning a free entry for finishing with one strike (6 guys that year finished with nine). always heard about these big pots, but have never been in this position.

Funny that my friends who know where to place big bets are all lawyers...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
rass wrote:
And I found the end of that game exciting, and I didn't even have a preference for who would win.
Guy's head must have exploded. And the dude with Green Bay must have curled into the fetal position.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Other than a few props, all bets are in for Sunday.

$14,000 if Seattle wins, and I have laid off $5,500 on the Patriots. No matter what happens, Sunday will be the most profitable day of my life.

Which is why I will be watching with my new best friend.

Normally, I hate guys who brag, but nothing like this has ever happened to me before, so my apologies.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I find it fascinating and would love a separate "Pruitt's Emotions" thread during the game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I find it fascinating and would love a separate "Pruitt's Emotions" thread during the game.
Yep. Brag away, I am enjoying following your good fortune.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:I find it fascinating and would love a separate "Pruitt's Emotions" thread during the game.
When all of this was solidified, I said that I won;t care as it's a win/win.

But a gambling buddy of mine claims that if the Pats win, I'll be screaming at the TV claiming to have lost $4,000 instead of remembering that I'd actually won close to $6,000.

As the game approaches, I fear he may be right.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Congrats Pru. I know I always cherish that one year where everything comes together. For me it was the 2006 NCAA tournament, when I picked 14 out of 16, 6 out of 8, and 3 of the Final Four (that was the George Mason year). I ended up in a tie for 70th in Yahoo worldwide. I'm not ashamed at all to say I framed that bracket sheet.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote:Congrats Pru. I know I always cherish that one year where everything comes together. For me it was the 2006 NCAA tournament, when I picked 14 out of 16, 6 out of 8, and 3 of the Final Four (that was the George Mason year). I ended up in a tie for 70th in Yahoo worldwide. I'm not ashamed at all to say I framed that bracket sheet.
Don't tell me you took George Mason?!

I had a similar year (for much less money) about a decade ago. I won a small pool, and pulled off a huge upset to win a fantasy pool. I referred to our first big flatscreen as "The Steven Jackson TV."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

No, I actually had UConn beating UCLA. George Mason ended up being no harm, no foul. I think I clinched the title that year after the second weekend with UCLA, Florida, and LSU all going to the Final Four.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.