NFL HOF 2015 and other awards

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

NFL HOF 2015 and other awards

Post by howard »

Official announcement yet to come, but the twitter tells me some dude from Detroit is in.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Re: NFL HOF 2015 and other awards

Post by DC47 »

Calvin Johnson! Why waste time, after all.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Andre Ware finally gets his due.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm sorry, but I just don't consider Bettis anything better than very good. Sure, he ran for a lot of yards, but I don't think he was particularly tough to game plan for and it showed in big games. I'm also convinced that he fumbled that ball against the Colts because he wanted to do his end zone dance and was less concerned with protecting the ball...the only thing that mattered. Borderline, but I don't think he should have gotten in.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Jerloma wrote:I'm sorry, but I just don't consider Bettis anything better than very good. Sure, he ran for a lot of yards, but I don't think he was particularly tough to game plan for and it showed in big games. I'm also convinced that he fumbled that ball against the Colts because he wanted to do his end zone dance and was less concerned with protecting the ball...the only thing that mattered. Borderline, but I don't think he should have gotten in.
For me Bettis and Eddie George offered defenses very similar difficulties and had very similar careers (Bettis got quite a few yards later in his career when he was just bad). Both only averaged over 4 yards a carry in 6 of their 22 seasons. Bettis played 4 years longer, but they were not weak seasons.

The difference is that Bettis one a SB and George did not.

George is not a HoF RB in any shape or form and the same is true of Bettis...
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Eddie George was probably on a borderline hof track before he broke down
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Though the gymnastics people go to on the Steelers board to credit Bettis and and discredit Willie parker are like Soviet Olympian level. They act like you get extra points for running over Brian Urlacher.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I've always hated the back room good-ol'-boy nature of the HOF process but this year takes the cake. Leaving Orlando Pace out and the same year electing Will Shields is the height of ridiculousness. Pace will get in but he deserved the recognition of getting in on the first ballot.
Kurt Warner has an argument to get in, but he certainly isn't a first ballot calibre selection. I would rather have seen Issac Bruce make the final round. Harrison deserved to get in before Bruce but I fear Bruce will fade into obscurity because he kept his head down and did his job without being a darling of the media. Torry Holt has a better shot than Bruce and I think that's also not right.
Bettis was a solid back but his election is a direct result of his late career media love affair. Conveniently lost is his shooting his way out of LA.
All the HOFs have selection flaws but something really needs to change in football.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So the NFL elects a kinda sorta maybe murderer on the first ballot, huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:So the NFL elects a kinda sorta maybe murderer on the first ballot, huh?
That's an ALLEGED, kinda sorta maybe murder who allegedly discovered Jesus.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Eddie George should have gotten himself a kick-ass nickname.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

rass wrote:Eddie George should have gotten himself a kick-ass nickname.
To be fair, he did go on to be governor of the bank of England