Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:I would love to upgrade. But the thought of a three-figure mortgage payment and the lack of moving shit quickly negates those thoughts.

Midwest forever.

(Besides, as a single guy, why do I need more than 3 BR and 1750 sq ft at this point anyway)
Wait, you pay less than $100/month mortgage? Fuck, I really do need to leave the Northeast.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I would love to upgrade. But the thought of a three-figure mortgage payment and the lack of moving shit quickly negates those thoughts.

Midwest forever.

(Besides, as a single guy, why do I need more than 3 BR and 1750 sq ft at this point anyway)
Wait, you pay less than $100/month mortgage? Fuck, I really do need to leave the Northeast.
I had to re-read it a few times, but he means he pays less than $1,000k.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Neighbor sold his for about 35k over what they paid. Theirs sold and a person across the street (i don't call them neighbors because they are douchebutts) put theirs up asking 45k over purchase. My wife and I are seeing how that plays out despite only being in our home for 15 months.
Bestfriend is getting around 20K more than what they paid. Coming out smelling like roses on that shit.
Although with closing costs, moving expenses, taxes, realtor fees... doesn't break even at best? I know that is a lot cheaper in the Midwest, but all that shit adds up.
We're going to net $50k at worst. If we get what we ask, it'll be around $60. We're close to the Energy Corridor where BP, Conoco, et al. have massive imprints and are zoned to the most preferred high school in the district. It's already started to slow a tad what with the layoffs, but not enough to where we still wouldn't quickly sell ours. My parents must've planned for retirement well as they said they'd float us the down payment for the new house if we don't close on selling ours before the end of March.
That's illegal in Kentucky but I certainly don't know Texas Real Estate law.
Why is that illegal?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Not really sure but I think it has to do with if you can't afford the downpayment are you really going to be able to pay the morgtgage. I know your issue is just a liquidity problem and not a credit problem, but I know I had to verify my bonus payment and my mom's estate money as being legitimately obtained and not a "loan" from someone. And of course, the parents could always sign a statement calling it a "gift." that you will repay on the DL.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:Not really sure but I think it has to do with if you can't afford the downpayment are you really going to be able to pay the morgtgage. I know your issue is just a liquidity problem and not a credit problem, but I know I had to verify my bonus payment and my mom's estate money as being legitimately obtained and not a "loan" from someone. And of course, the parents could always sign a statement calling it a "gift." that you will repay on the DL.
Gotcha.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Midwest forever.

That's correct. Which I don't think is all that uncommon around here. Had I done the standard 20% downpayment, my mortgage would be significantly cheaper.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Midwest forever.

That's correct. Which I don't think is all that uncommon around here. Had I done the standard 20% downpayment, my mortgage would be significantly cheaper.
Same here. I did much less than 20% on my DP at 4.5%. 3 BR 2000sqft house on a half acre and my payment is $1,008/mo
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:Not really sure but I think it has to do with if you can't afford the downpayment are you really going to be able to pay the morgtgage. I know your issue is just a liquidity problem and not a credit problem, but I know I had to verify my bonus payment and my mom's estate money as being legitimately obtained and not a "loan" from someone. And of course, the parents could always sign a statement calling it a "gift." that you will repay on the DL.
If it is illegal here, no one seems to care. I texted my wife to have her keep where we're getting that from a secret, but she said she already spoke with the lender and they said that happens.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I assure you I have no plans to move anywhere near AB. Michigan was even too close.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:I assure you I have no plans to move anywhere near AB. Michigan was even too close.

Like I said, the person hasn't even moved in. So it's probably just a tax shelter. Literally.

Can I use the extra bedrooms when we have guests?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yes, tell them I said it was OK.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Midwest forever.

I'm still confused. Isn't $999 a three figure mortgage payment?

I put down a bit over 35% to avoid a Jumbo mortgage, and my house is just a standard bi-level with an addition in the back. My mortgage keeps going up every year because of goddamned tax increases. And this is one of the least expensive towns in the area.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Campus is going nuts wondering if we should close for a storm that's supposedly coming this way. For an area populated by people that take weekly trips in to high elevations to hit the slopes the Front Range certainly freaks when the snow hits home.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Short of some water emergency or me hitting the lottery (or the neighborhood turning from working class to lower class) I'm staying in this house until I retire. I'm making a payment and a half every month and hope to have it paid off in 12 years at which time I'm going to pull the pin on working for the man.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Midwest forever.

I'm still confused. Isn't $999 a three figure mortgage payment?

I put down a bit over 35% to avoid a Jumbo mortgage, and my house is just a standard bi-level with an addition in the back. My mortgage keeps going up every year because of goddamned tax increases. And this is one of the least expensive towns in the area.

The thought of the 3 figure is what is making him stay...he has it now and knows anything new will likely be 4 figures.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have a neighbor, late 50s, who has some sort of OCD obsession with shovelling driveways. Has six shovels on his front porch and I've seen others when his garage door is open.

Thing is, this year he and his wife (the local Avon distributor) now have a plow guy come when it snows.

But this guy (we call him "The Shoveller") has been out shovelling a couple of the neighbours' driveways. And he goes back to get every single bit of ice and snow. It is very, very strange. One of the driveways he shovels belongs to a widow in her 80s. But she has a plow guy coming by regularly. The others he shovels are neither seniors nor debilitated.

it is odd to say the least.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

so he's the Canadian version of the guy who mows his yard every four days?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote: The thought of the 3 figure is what is making him stay...he has it now and knows anything new will likely be 4 figures.
Thanks. I am really stupid. Although "the thought" of something implies that it is not the current state, no?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote: The thought of the 3 figure is what is making him stay...he has it now and knows anything new will likely be 4 figures.
Thanks. I am really stupid. Although "the thought" of something implies that it is not the current state, no?
Yes. I had to re read it. At least hes not a professional writer.

Kid because i care.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Kid because i care.
I totally need to spend as much time on my message board posts as I do my job!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Kid because i care.
I totally need to spend as much time on my message board posts as I do my job!
I do!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I need to buy a house. Or buy one and then sell it. Or something. I feel like I'm missing out.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:I need to buy a house. Or buy one and then sell it. Or something. I feel like I'm missing out.
You're not missing anything. The window in our son's room cracked sometime last night/early this morning.

No idea how to track down the maker, if there is a warranty, and so on. Bonus points for getting it fixed when today is the warmest it has been in about a week, which should be about 25 degrees.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Pruitt wrote:I have a neighbor, late 50s, who has some sort of OCD obsession with shovelling driveways. Has six shovels on his front porch and I've seen others when his garage door is open.

Thing is, this year he and his wife (the local Avon distributor) now have a plow guy come when it snows.

But this guy (we call him "The Shoveller") has been out shovelling a couple of the neighbours' driveways. And he goes back to get every single bit of ice and snow. It is very, very strange. One of the driveways he shovels belongs to a widow in her 80s. But she has a plow guy coming by regularly. The others he shovels are neither seniors nor debilitated.

Is he unemployed/retired and therefore bored?

I have a neighbour who fails to grasp the concept of shovelling etiquette. Ie, if I happen to be outside first I will shovel the sidewalk in either direction to each neighbour's driveway (beyond my property line). One neighbour returns the favour, but the other refuses to go an inch beyond his property line even though I frequently do it for him. At the end of the day I really don't care, but C'MON MAN!
Popin' ain't easy
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Out for a few days and just now seeing all the real estate posts... Is the Phoenix area the only place where it's still a buyer's market? We had to aggressively price our house and come down 5% from that. We managed to sell in just over a month, but it wasn't easy.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:
Pruitt wrote:I have a neighbor, late 50s, who has some sort of OCD obsession with shovelling driveways. Has six shovels on his front porch and I've seen others when his garage door is open.

Is he unemployed/retired and therefore bored?

I have a neighbour who fails to grasp the concept of shovelling etiquette. Ie, if I happen to be outside first I will shovel the sidewalk in either direction to each neighbour's driveway (beyond my property line). One neighbour returns the favour, but the other refuses to go an inch beyond his property line even though I frequently do it for him. At the end of the day I really don't care, but C'MON MAN!
He's underemployed.

My conversations with him have revealed that he's an accountant of sorts. As he speaks though, his level of importance grows to the point where he tries to give the impression that he is very well connected in at least two levels of government and he is busy working on huge real estate deals north of the city.

Gives the impression of being delusional.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We're not selling, but the market in our little burg, and really most all the Peninsula/San Francisco, remains white hot. Houses routinely take three short steps - a realtor open house, followed by a general open house, followed by bids being taken - all within a week. And usually there are multiple bids, all above asking price. At least once a month, I receive a cold call from a realtor who says they represent a buyer and wanted to see if they could talk us into selling our home.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:We're not selling, but the market in our little burg, and really most all the Peninsula/San Francisco, remains white hot. Houses routinely take three short steps - a realtor open house, followed by a general open house, followed by bids being taken - all within a week. And usually there are multiple bids, all above asking price. At least once a month, I receive a cold call from a realtor who says they represent a buyer and wanted to see if they could talk us into selling our home.
And the houses in your area twice as much as they are in mine. Giff posted his house info on Facebook and I threw up in my mouth when i saw the price. Holy fuck. The sad thing is, or at least was, that federal government employees in Houston had a higher cost of living bump in their salaries than New York City. You couldn't buy a 200 sq. ft. studio for half of what Giff is listing his house at. I never understood their algorithm for determining salary adjustments, but Houstonians fucking won that game.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

His house is only a dining room and kitchen so of course its cheap!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Craig Biggio Shrine is a huge plus in the area.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

My mom finally convinced my dad to go to the doctor's to get checked out. On the outside he seems really healthy. Turns 67 this May and eats and sleeps more than I do. However he smokes and eats a ton of sugar. It's amazing he's not diabetic. And spending more time with him lately he's been very forgetful, arguing a lot and not very patient. For example, he's been doing his own taxes for years but this year he just couldn't get through it. Getting frustrated with the tax software (the same one he's used for years).

So the doctor this morning is sending him for a bunch of tests. Brain scan, blood test, lung photo etc...
Doctors says symptoms show possibility of Dementia or Alzheimers. Hope they find nothing or hope they find something before it's too late.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
sancarlos wrote: And the houses in your area twice as much as they are in mine. Giff posted his house info on Facebook and I threw up in my mouth when i saw the price. Holy fuck. The sad thing is, or at least was, that federal government employees in Houston had a higher cost of living bump in their salaries than New York City. You couldn't buy a 200 sq. ft. studio for half of what Giff is listing his house at. I never understood their algorithm for determining salary adjustments, but Houstonians fucking won that game.
Yeah, but we have to live in Houston.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

degenerasian wrote:So the doctor this morning is sending him for a bunch of tests. Brain scan, blood test, lung photo etc...
Doctors says symptoms show possibility of Dementia or Alzheimers. Hope they find nothing or hope they find something before it's too late.
Damn. What's best case, Degen? Minor, recoverable stroke?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

mister d wrote:
degenerasian wrote:So the doctor this morning is sending him for a bunch of tests. Brain scan, blood test, lung photo etc...
Damn. What's best case, Degen? Minor, recoverable stroke?
Best case would be nothing? Wouldn't be a stroke I don't think since it's been a slow regression. Mom says he's just been deteriorating thinking-wise. Can't process what people are saying which turns into being argumentative cause he's registering "A" while the person is saying "B". Getting him to sit down and learn how to online bank or how to do a simple thing on an iPad is a chore. Doesn't want to learn anything. I'm not over at the house that often other than to watch sports with him, that part is still ok.

My mom is only 2 years younger than him and she can do everything.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You have my thoughts and prayers.

My father has been in the hospital since Christmas. It sucks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, I hope everything works out for your pops degen.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

degenerasian wrote:My mom finally convinced my dad to go to the doctor's to get checked out. On the outside he seems really healthy. Turns 67 this May and eats and sleeps more than I do. However he smokes and eats a ton of sugar. It's amazing he's not diabetic. And spending more time with him lately he's been very forgetful, arguing a lot and not very patient. For example, he's been doing his own taxes for years but this year he just couldn't get through it. Getting frustrated with the tax software (the same one he's used for years).

So the doctor this morning is sending him for a bunch of tests. Brain scan, blood test, lung photo etc...
Thinking good thoughts.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

You know that old axiom that you only get 2/3 of price, quality, and speed? The corollary for a bunch of bananas would be ripeness, length, and quantity. There's always a compromise.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:You know that old axiom that you only get 2/3 of price, quality, and speed? The corollary for a bunch of bananas would be ripeness, length, and quantity. There's always a compromise.
I've struggled with length for some time.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:You know that old axiom that you only get 2/3 of price, quality, and speed? The corollary for a bunch of bananas would be ripeness, length, and quantity. There's always a compromise.
I've struggled with length for some time.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian