Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by howard »

Red fire suit is a good look for you.

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't grow up a coffee drinker. I passionately hated the stuff. The only time in my life I consumed coffee on a daily basis was my first tech school. However, I'd add a packet of cocoa so it was more palletable.

But dammit if the prevalence of good coffee in Korea isn't changing me a bit. Not only that, but it's a natural and decent alternative to the bombardment of "pre workout" stuff available over the counter. I drink it black, because coffee flavored sugar cream isn't coffee. So I'm suddenly finding myself going, "Man. I need a pick me up. Where's the coffee?" Never thought I'd think like this, ever.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:I didn't grow up a coffee drinker. I passionately hated the stuff. The only time in my life I consumed coffee on a daily basis was my first tech school. However, I'd add a packet of cocoa so it was more palletable.

But dammit if the prevalence of good coffee in Korea isn't changing me a bit. Not only that, but it's a natural and decent alternative to the bombardment of "pre workout" stuff available over the counter. I drink it black, because coffee flavored sugar cream isn't coffee. So I'm suddenly finding myself going, "Man. I need a pick me up. Where's the coffee?" Never thought I'd think like this, ever.
Tomorrow is Earth Day. Or, as I prefer to call it, Environmentalist Kwanzaa. In Canada, Starbucks is giving away free coffee to anyone who visits one of their shops with a re-usable Starbucks mug. I have a two-cup (at least, by volume) Starbucks mug that I liberated somewhere along the line. There's at least half a dozen Starbuckii around here, within ten blocks. So the plan is to take my gigantic thermos, which holds about 2-litres, and swing by all of them. Should take about 20 minutes, max. Of course, they have a shift change around mid-day, so I can make the rounds again later on. That'll keep me in free coffee until my eyes bug out. Thanks, Starbucks!

By the way, when I was in Korea, coffee was insanely expensive. Like US $8 per cup expensive. You'd go into a Coffee Bahng (pronounced "bong"; the Korean word for "room"), sit at a tiny table, get an ashtray with a wet paper towel in it and pay about 10,000 WON for a small cup of terrible coffee which was more than likely, at best, the Korean version of Folgers Instant Coffee. For the same price you could have purchased about 10-12 bottles of Soju. After a while, this became a simple matter consulting the economics scale of Guns & Butter. Or, if you will, one luxury versus another luxury. Coffee, inevitably, lost.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I need to register ratemyadultleaguesportstory.com
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

P.D.X. wrote:I need to register ratemyadultleaguesportstory.com
I would contribute weekly.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Albert Brooks' real name is "Albert Einstein".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Do you know his brother?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Scottie wrote:Tomorrow is Earth Day. Or, as I prefer to call it, Environmentalist Kwanzaa. In Canada, Starbucks is giving away free coffee to anyone who visits one of their shops with a re-usable Starbucks mug. I have a two-cup (at least, by volume) Starbucks mug that I liberated somewhere along the line. There's at least half a dozen Starbuckii around here, within ten blocks. So the plan is to take my gigantic thermos, which holds about 2-litres, and swing by all of them. Should take about 20 minutes, max. Of course, they have a shift change around mid-day, so I can make the rounds again later on. That'll keep me in free coffee until my eyes bug out. Thanks, Starbucks!

By the way, when I was in Korea, coffee was insanely expensive. Like US $8 per cup expensive. You'd go into a Coffee Bahng (pronounced "bong"; the Korean word for "room"), sit at a tiny table, get an ashtray with a wet paper towel in it and pay about 10,000 WON for a small cup of terrible coffee which was more than likely, at best, the Korean version of Folgers Instant Coffee. For the same price you could have purchased about 10-12 bottles of Soju. After a while, this became a simple matter consulting the economics scale of Guns & Butter. Or, if you will, one luxury versus another luxury. Coffee, inevitably, lost.
Good luck on the journey for free gallons of coffee! Reminds me of Veteran's Day in Anycity, USA. Nearly every chain restaurant or retail store has free food or percentages off things. That day a buddy and I hit up a couple Subways, Hooters, Outback Steakhouse, & Roadhouse gathering our free food. We ate well, needless to say.

And that's just fascinating how far coffee has come over here. I throw a rock; I hit a coffee shop. My favorite are the mom and pop locations. While I enjoy my coffee black, I also love things like peanut butter lattes or even sweet potato lattes. About 5,000 WON for those. Simple 'Americano' coffee is about 2 bucks. Very tasty and affordable. The long term goal of a friend of mine is to take a picture of every coffee shop she comes across over her next 2 years. She's taken by the abundance and uniqueness (is that a word?) of each. I can't wait to see what that will look like when she's finished with photos.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

howard wrote:Do you know his brother?

Supe? Loved him when I was a kid.
Popin' ain't easy
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There really needs to be a parody video of that Dove 3 minute ad where women describe themselves as ugly with dude's describing themselves as awesome. This is the most obvious parody ever, btw.

ETA

D'oh. I should search YouTube before I post a random thought like that. Already happened. Twice.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:
howard wrote:Do you know his brother?

Supe? Loved him when I was a kid.
Norm Macdonald just started a podcast with Super Dave as his first guest and he was hysterical.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Facebook is making me crazy today because notifications says I have like 55 posts on my timeline but on my phone it's only showing 9 and I have to passive-aggressively engage every person that writes on my timeline rather then do the "Hey, thanks so much for the Birthday wishes; you are all so kind and thoughtful" bullshit because then it might accidentally come off looking genuine but I can't just respond to he 9 posts because I don't want other people to think I'm ignoring them and by the time I get home after dinner tonight I'm going to have like 100 posts to respond to and it's turning me into this cauldron of angst.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

this is why i took my birthday off of facebook.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:Facebook is making me crazy today because notifications says I have like 55 posts on my timeline but on my phone it's only showing 9 and I have to passive-aggressively engage every person that writes on my timeline rather then do the "Hey, thanks so much for the Birthday wishes; you are all so kind and thoughtful" bullshit because then it might accidentally come off looking genuine but I can't just respond to he 9 posts because I don't want other people to think I'm ignoring them and by the time I get home after dinner tonight I'm going to have like 100 posts to respond to and it's turning me into this cauldron of angst.
Maybe a dick move, but I just "like" every post rather than typing out thank you's.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

P.D.X. wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Facebook is making me crazy today because notifications says I have like 55 posts on my timeline but on my phone it's only showing 9 and I have to passive-aggressively engage every person that writes on my timeline rather then do the "Hey, thanks so much for the Birthday wishes; you are all so kind and thoughtful" bullshit because then it might accidentally come off looking genuine but I can't just respond to he 9 posts because I don't want other people to think I'm ignoring them and by the time I get home after dinner tonight I'm going to have like 100 posts to respond to and it's turning me into this cauldron of angst.
Maybe a dick move, but I just "like" every post rather than typing out thank you's.
Is it an even dick-ier move to just post "Thanks for the birthday wishes" at the end of the day? That's what I've done.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

None of those are dick moves. It's just that in an attempt to live my life as ironically as possible, I have to do the opposite of what you might expect from a guy who loathes the practice of writing Happy Birthday on someone's Facebook timeline.

I'm not gonna lie to you guys...it can be outright exhausting being me at times.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Oh, it's pretty exhausting pseudo-knowing you, most of the times.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

vandwagon wrote:Is it an even dick-ier move to just post "Thanks for the birthday wishes" at the end of the day? That's what I've done.
If that's a dick move, then 1) I'm the biggest dick on Facebook, and 2) fuck the people that decided as such 3) let me know if that's how you feel so I can unfriend you. The whole idea of facebook birthday shit is to be quick and to the point. "Requiring" individual responses to every well-wisher defeats that entire purpose.

J-Lo, later tonight post a status thanking all of your friends for their wonderful wishes, and be done with it. Angsting out over not personally responding is mental.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Jerloma wrote:None of those are dick moves. It's just that in an attempt to live my life as ironically as possible, I have to do the opposite of what you might expect from a guy who loathes the practice of writing Happy Birthday on someone's Facebook timeline.

I'm not gonna lie to you guys...it can be outright exhausting being me at times.
If this is truly the case, then fuck you for not snail-mailing hand-written thank you cards to every well-wisher.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

ZMan wrote:
Jerloma wrote:None of those are dick moves. It's just that in an attempt to live my life as ironically as possible, I have to do the opposite of what you might expect from a guy who loathes the practice of writing Happy Birthday on someone's Facebook timeline.

If this is truly the case, then fuck you for not snail-mailing hand-written thank you cards to every well-wisher.
Oh my God...I totally have to do that now. Bloody hell.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, "like" all of the wishes - it only takes a few minutes - and then the next morning a generic "thank you, OMG you are all so great" post for everyone.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, "like" all of the wishes - it only takes a few minutes - and then the next morning a generic "thank you, OMG you are all so great" post for everyone.
Yeah...I can never do that. By the way, some people do have some awesome birthday wishes (mostly Swampers to no surprise) but if I just give everyone equal credit in one post, I'm lending the same amount of credence for the person who writes "happy bday" and can't even take the extra 2 seconds to hit the shift key or a hyphen or God forbid the whole word as a guy like Johnnie, who writes a whole paragraph perfectly mimicking and mocking me. The thinkers should not be lumped in with the non-thinkers. Ever. You wanna be mundane...go ahead. It's just not that impressive.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
Shirley wrote:Yeah, "like" all of the wishes - it only takes a few minutes - and then the next morning a generic "thank you, OMG you are all so great" post for everyone.
Yeah...I can never do that. By the way, some people do have some awesome birthday wishes (mostly Swampers to no surprise) but if I just give everyone equal credit in one post, I'm lending the same amount of credence for the person who writes "happy bday" and can't even take the extra 2 seconds to hit the shift key or a hyphen or God forbid the whole word as a guy like Johnnie, who writes a whole paragraph perfectly mimicking and mocking me. The thinkers should not be lumped in with the non-thinkers. Ever. You wanna be mundane...go ahead. It's just not that impressive.
I think the perfect notion is a guy like me who who just hit "Like" to Johnnie's perfect b-day wish. Can't top that, why bother. He nailed you just perfect. I'm liking it. Happy fucking birthday, J-lo. Besides, I only look at Facebook on my ipod, and it doesn't show birthdays, so I never see them. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

No excuse needed. You're helping to minimize my angst.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I just wanna get something straight here, and forgive me if the complexities of this tragedy are beyond the norm of common human perception . . . deliberately using Facefuck and complaining about how Facefuck sucks makes what sense?
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Paradoxically, it makes perfect sense.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

There is a twitter account called @FATJEW with nearly 122K followers.
Popin' ain't easy
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Scottie wrote:I just wanna get something straight here, and forgive me if the complexities of this tragedy are beyond the norm of common human perception . . . deliberately using Facefuck and complaining about how Facefuck sucks makes what sense?
It's like this....

Facebook is good because it helps you keep in touch with friends and family you don't see that often.

Facebook sucks because sometimes those friends and family members talk about stupid shit.

If you feel the good outweighs the bad, you continue using facebook.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

ZMan wrote:
Scottie wrote:I just wanna get something straight here, and forgive me if the complexities of this tragedy are beyond the norm of common human perception . . . deliberately using Facefuck and complaining about how Facefuck sucks makes what sense?
It's like this....

Facebook is good because it helps you keep in touch with friends and family you don't see that often.

Facebook sucks because sometimes those friends and family members talk about stupid shit.

If you feel the good outweighs the bad, you continue using facebook.
Good points, J lo. Meaning, "I agree". And, I'd add, it's human nature to bitch about aspects of it you don't enjoy, even if it's free. I bitch regularly about having to regularly change the sorting to "recent", from what FB tells me are "top stories", but I'm not going to quit over it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I have an Android phone and I complain about it a lot.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Icepenis wrote:I have an Android phone and I complain about it a lot.
I got the Google phone and I haven't complained about it... yet.

On the complaining note, it's almost impossible to change your billing credit card with AT&T. This is ridiculous.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:

On the complaining note, it's almost impossible to change your billing credit card with AT&T. This is ridiculous.
No it isn't. Cancel the one, they'll call you pretty quickly to get the new number.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

No it isn't. Cancel the one, they'll call you pretty quickly to get the new number.
I'm not canceling the card though, just switching it to one from my bank because of the rewards.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think he was joking.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote:I think he was joking.
Yeah, but I'm sure they actually do call you within hours if you cancel the card.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wasn't. I was under the impression that Bronto needs less credit cards. Two is too many, bronto! You're sprialing down the well of debt that leads to becoming the anti-howard.

Wait.

Nm. Carry on.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:I wasn't. I was under the impression that Bronto needs less credit cards. Two is too many, bronto! You're sprialing down the well of debt that leads to becoming the anti-howard.

Wait.

Nm. Carry on.
It wouldn't be a bad idea if I consolidated credit cards I guess? Of course, I say that a month after getting this new one from the bank because the savings account interest was way too good to pass up. I primarily use it as a way of demarcating expenses. Southwest card for work and business, etc etc.

I don't carry a balance at all on any of them, but I've got more than a handful of credit cards when you count store cards like Home Depot, Nebraska Furniture Mart, etc. I used those primarily for no interest payments on big purchases when I was in my "transition" phase.

I should probably cash in my AmEx rewards and cancel that card. I use it for nothing.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Brontoburglar wrote:I should probably cash in my AmEx rewards and cancel that card. I use it for nothing.
IMHO, if there's one credit card I would want to keep, it would be AMEX. Sure you can't necessarily carry a balance (depending on the type of account), but they're the best of all options. No one covers your back better in the case of disputed charges. Their customer service is light years ahead of any other credit card co.
Also, the rewards program is better than most M/C or Visa cards. We use AMEX all the time at my office, and those reward points literally paid for a cruise for my family last February.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Chase Freedom is supposed to have the best rewards. The APR isn't the best, but I always pay in full, so it isn't an issue. I don't think the interest is all that bad anyways. You haave to have good credit to get a card from them, though.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

ZMan wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I should probably cash in my AmEx rewards and cancel that card. I use it for nothing.
IMHO, if there's one credit card I would want to keep, it would be AMEX. Sure you can't necessarily carry a balance (depending on the type of account), but they're the best of all options. No one covers your back better in the case of disputed charges. Their customer service is light years ahead of any other credit card co.
Also, the rewards program is better than most M/C or Visa cards. We use AMEX all the time at my office, and those reward points literally paid for a cruise for my family last February.
You need to have a visa or mastercard, too, for those occasions when you are somewhere that doesn't take Amex. For instance the parking lot at SFO airport, or buying a ticket on our bay area commuter train. You need a card and it can't be amex, sometimes. We have a Costco amex and a Chase Sapphire.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian