2013 NFL Draft

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

2013 NFL Draft

Post by brian »

Can't believe we don't have a thread for this yet. Rumors are flying around everywhere. Should be some deals happening pretty soon.

A couple of reports have the Chiefs trying to move Branden Alpert and if they can't, they'll take Eric Fisher with the first overall pick.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: 2013 NFL Draft

Post by Brontoburglar »

1% chance Chiefs don't trade Albert
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Can't believe we don't have a thread for this yet. Rumors are flying around everywhere. Should be some deals happening pretty soon.

A couple of reports have the Chiefs trying to move Branden Alpert and if they can't, they'll take Eric Fisher with the first overall pick.
Who are the Jets going to waste their picks on?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I've been avoid draft coverage as much as possible because I think it's pointless to read mock drafts. The draft itself would be more fun if they didn't have six talking heads per network babbling the same shit over and over.

All I really care about is who goes where in the AFC Central and whether any Ohio Bobcats get drafted. As for the Bobcats, I think one will get drafted (Eric Herman) and others will get free agent deals.

Woo.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:I've been avoid draft coverage as much as possible because I think it's pointless to read mock drafts. The draft itself would be more fun if they didn't have six talking heads per network babbling the same shit over and over.

All I really care about is who goes where in the AFC Central and whether any Ohio Bobcats get drafted. As for the Bobcats, I think one will get drafted (Eric Herman) and others will get free agent deals.

Woo.
I've grown to loathe mock drafts. Pretty sure I've posted as much in the Swamp before. I like the inside info from draft watchers, but the idea of posting 6 or 7 different mock drafts to speculate who goes where is stupid.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote:1% chance Chiefs don't trade Albert
What are they looking to get for him? Seen any reports on that?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote:
brian wrote:Can't believe we don't have a thread for this yet. Rumors are flying around everywhere. Should be some deals happening pretty soon.

Who are the Jets going to waste their picks on?

Wasted Jet picks! What a segue into MEAT'S FIRST ROUND MOCK 2013 EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!

Mock draft time! You know this shit is gonna happen, GUARANTEED. You don't even have to watch the draft.

1. TRADE!

MIAMI DOLPHINS TRADE UP TO #1 - GIVING KC THEIR FIRST ROUNDER THIS YEAR, HANDJOBS FOR THE COACHING STAFF, AND LET'S SAY TWO 2NDS

MIAMI SELECTS LUKE JOECKEL, OT, TEXAS A&M

Ok. This shit makes sense. The top of this draft SUCKS. It sucks cock. There are three positions available - Tackle (Joeckel and Fisher), rush LB (Jordan/Ansah/Jones/etc), and DT (Floyd/Lotuleiti (sp?)).

The Chiefs have rush OLBs, kinda have a tackle, and lead the world in picking bust DLs early (haaaa Dontari Poe). Every mock drafter is giving them Joeckel, but why? Joeckel reminds me of Jake Long - going #1 because of the weak class. This is no Orlando Pace. Watch tape of Orlando Pace at OSU - he absolutely MAULED people. It was like he was Casey Anthony and the defensive linemen were his unwanted children. He was like the Waterboy out there. Neither Jake Long nor Joeckel were quite at that level. Ideally, the Chiefs would take a QB here but...they have the grand fortune of getting the top draft pick in the worst draft for QBs since Jim Druckenmiller went in the first round. So...

TRADE IT TO THE DOLPHINS!

Rumor says the Dolphins are interested in Joeckel and Eric Fisher. Neither will last until pick 12. It's a weak first round, so it would take too much to move all the way up. And the Dolphins would certainly do this. The Dolphins are comically bland, and they'd like to get even blander. So let's watch this paint dry, Miami. Fins up!

2. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS SELECT DION JORDAN, OLB, OREGON

I'm not completely sold on Jordan, but he has the physical characteristics of beastliness and, let's face it, Jacksonville can take anybody at any position and upgrade. They are the only team more boring than Miami. They suck. Florida's teams are as exciting as its terrain. Watching a Jags/Jets game is like watching the live birth of trees. So they can do whatever they want here.

After picking Blaine Gabbert early two years ago, they would have presumably learned their lesson not to make the same mistake here. Take a guy like Jordan who many compare to Von Miller, suck ass again with Gabbert, and then take either Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater next year. Or hell, Jadaveon Clowney. Just don't blow it again on a QB. Knowing this team, they'll probably take Geno Smith. I think their recent lack of success picking high DL will cause them to shift away from Floyd and Lutoleitejhte. Let's just call him Star. That's a lot easier.

3. OAKLAND RAIDERS SELECT STAR LOTULELEI, DT, UTAH

Finally looked up this dude's name.

Ok, the Commitment to Excellence ended years ago, and was buried when the Raiders gave up two firsts and a second for the remains of Carson Palmer. But supposedly Reg McKenzie is bringing some sense to the team, and so I'm going to make a pick that I feel is sensible.

After finally releasing Tommie Kelly and his Al Davisian salary, the Raiders have a huge black hole at DT. And most mocks have them taking Sharrif Floyd. But...assuming it's not a 4-3 v. 3-4 thing...I like Lotulelei a lot more. I can't watch much on these dudes because I can't Youtube all day, but Lotulelei looks a lot more forceful and effective. I know he wasn't playing in the SE-fucking-C, where superstars everywhere else become mere backups, but he was throwing people around on the reg. Yeah they were highlight tapes but whatever. There's no 4.2 receiver here for the Raiders to cum all over (well...there is Tavon Austin...Al Davis probably would have picked him, fa rill)....so I think they'll replace Kelly with the beast NT.

4. EAGLES TRADE TO SOMEBODY

There's nothing here that makes sense for the Eagles, in my mind. At least not at 4. If the Chiefs use their first pick on Joeckel I could see the Fins trading up to this spot to take Eric Fisher. Anybody want Eric Fisher? Hmm.

EAGLES TRADE PICK TO ARIZONA FOR THEIR FIRST THIS YEAR, A ONE-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION TO BRAZZERS.COM AND A 2ND AND 3RD

CARDINALS SELECT ERIC FISHER, OT, CENTRAL MICHIGAN

This actually, I think, makes a dickton of sense. Lane Johnson is this year's Riley Reiff. He'll fall, so I don't think AZ would take him 7th. They are also considering a trade for Brandon Albert of the Chiefs, which shows how desperate they are for an OT. This also allows me to keep Milliner at Detroit's spot.

Eric Fisher is a small-school guy, which people have theorized will keep him from going no. 1 overall. But here, I think he's fine. Fuck, this just makes too much sense. I'll bet everyone a 'scrip to Brazzers that it does. Jk. I'm a blacksonblondes guy, myself.

5. DETROIT LIONS SELECT DEE MILLINER, CB, ALABAMA

Ok, recent "rumors" are that Milliner's stock is falling and Detroit will go OT (if available) or Ansah instead. But, I said months ago that they go CB, so I'll stick with it. Milliner didn't look amazing when Tyler Eifert was catching go-routes on his face in the NCAA championship game, but Eifert's fuckin' good so I'm going to keep Milliner as the first CB off the board. The Lions need secondary help like Shawn Kemp needs a vasectomy, so I'm not going to panic and give them an LB or OT. They drafted Riley Reiff last year in the first...move him to LT, find a fill-in RT and thank the heavens that someone actually took Gosder Cherilus off of your hands.

6. CLEVELAND BROWNS SELECT TAVON AUSTIN, WR, WVU

My first real surprise pick. But it makes perfect sense.

The Browns are godawff on offense. There is no explosion. No splash plays. They barely displace any liquid at all, even after drafting Greased Pig Richardson 4th overall last year. So do they take a CB like Milliner if he falls? I don't think so. Do they take a QB? Not here. Do they take Ansah or a project like Mingo? I think that their defense, while not exciting, is much less of a concern than their offense. They basically just signed all of last year's Ravens. So let's look at that offense.

They have Greg Little and Josh Gordon on the outsides, and those dudes are ok, but...Austin is motherfucking electric. If he isn't a bust, he will charge the shit out of this offense. Their offense is like stagnant bathtub water, and he's like a plugged-in toaster. He should open everything up. He'll be catching balls 5 yards off the line, so even Brandon Weeden can hit him. I know he's little, but so are Welker and Amendola (ok...bad example), and neither of them are dead yet. A little WR, if used properly, can open everything up. I've seriously just convinced myself that this happens.

7. EAGLES (FROM ARIZONA) SELECT GENO SMITH, QB WVU

This was tough. I don't think the Eagles will select Smith at 4. But at 7? With some extra picks? I mean...maybe they will. You figure you have one more year out of Vick, and he may not even make it through that year. Or he may suck. Dennis Dixon is a backup. Smith is perfect for this offense. And he's CHEAP. Look at SF and Seattle...that's how you do it right now. When you don't have to pay big money to your QB, you can spend it elsewhere and bring in Anquan Boldin and Percy Harvin.

I read that the Eagle interest in Smith is real, but I don't buy it at 4. I can buy it a little bit more at 7. The Eagles may decide they want a QB who hasn't murdered entire piles of dogs, and Smith should at the least give them that.

8. BUFFALO BILLS SELECT CHANCE WARMACK, G, ALABAMA

I don't think they take a QB here, despite their repeated bluster to do so. If they do, I'd go Barkley, who locks down on receivers to the point that they develop Stockholm Syndrome. I can't see Nassib. Or Glennon. But I can see one of those two (or three) in the second round. Or Tyler Bray (haahaaaa, go ahead Buffalo, please draft him) in the third. But not first. Barkley or other position.

And I'll go other position. They are currently penciling in a guy named David Snow to start at left guard. He was an undrafted FA who got waived and signed a lot. Chance Warmack is supposed to be an unstoppable force of beast. I was thinking Ansah here but...they signed Manny Lawson and have Nigel Bradham who I imagine they'd like to give a shot to and they still smell that Aaron Maybin stank sooooo I'm gonna go with the guard. This team pays both Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller to carry the load and it seems to make sense to put Warmack in front of them. I wouldn't be surprised with a big WR to pair across with Stevie Johnson, but that can probably wait until round 2 in this draft.

9. NY JETS SELECT EDDIE LACY, RB, ALABAMA

I'm mainly doing this because it's so Jets. The Jets would absolutely take a running back in the top 10, and they would think that it will relieve pressure on Sanchize, and they clearly remember employing Shonn Greene as their lead back.

Sanchize will still suck, and this almost certainly won't happen, but I'm going to mock it anyway because it's my world and yinz are just living in it.

10. TENNESSEE TITANS SELECT SHARIFF FLOYD, DT, FLORIDA

Who is Jurrell Casey? No idea. But I know who Shariff Floyd is, and I think he makes a lot of sense here. This team kinda sucks but is mediocre enough at every position that I can't find one that screams out "upgrade me!". Well...maybe DT and OLB. At least I recognize one of the OLB's names, so I'll slot Floyd in here. And he will lead the way to 8-8 City.

11. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS SELECT LANE JOHNSON, OT, OKLAHOMA

I thought Johnson would fall until I saw San Diego's depth chart. I was considering mocking Justin Hunter here, as they could use some firepower, but...holy fuck is their O-Line putrid. It's a joke. They should take OL in their first three picks. AJ Smith was the worst GM in history the way he let this team atrophy....they were good not that long ago. Bad FA signings and awful drafting have done them in. Now they might beat Vanderbilt in college overtime.

12. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS SELECT SHELDON RICHARDSON, DE/DT, MISSOURI

I'm not really sure where to go here. The Chiefs have good book-end OLBs and really need a 3-4 DE (maybe they might stay at the top and select Floyd or Lotulelei, like for reals), but what 3-4 DE is available?

(looks up 3-4 DEs available)

Sheldon Richardson! Sure, another early DE going to the Chiefs. Man they suck.

13. NY JETS SELECT JUSTIN HUNTER, WR, TENNESSEE

Gotta be consistent. If the Jets really try to fix the Sanchize problem by throwing weapons at it, and I believe they will, this makes a lot of sense. When Santonio Holmes went down last year, the receiver corps was completely barren. Stephen Hill isn't quite ready for prime time. Adding a guy like Hunter, who was considered a top-5 talent before a knee injury in 2011, with give Sanchez some more opportunities to badly miss open receivers. Then they'll cut Holmes and Sanchez next offseason and start completely from step one, with no rhyme or reason. GO JETS!

14. CAROLINA PANTHERS SELECT XAVIER RHODES, CB, FLORIDA STATE

Carolina's secondary is awful. I recognize two names, and they are Captain Munnerlyn and Ha-something Nakamuri. That's bad. Real bad.

Rhodes' stock is rising, and I think that the Panthers will go corner before they go safety. Just a hunch. That and I'm not high on Vaccaro.

15. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS SELECT JARVIS JONES, OLB, GEORGIA

Jones was at one point a consensus top-3 player. After a bad combine and everybody remembering that his spine may be irrevocably fucked up, he's dropped like a rock. But, he still lead the NCAA in sacks last year, and he still has better tape than Ansah and Mingo, and it's pretty clear that New Orleans needs a pass-rushing OLB, so I'll slot him here.

16. ST. LOUIS RAMS SELECT DEANDRE HOPKINS, WR, CLEMSON

I'm surprised Hopkins isn't talked about with the top WRs in this class, while Keenan Allen is. I think Keenan Allen is Koren Robinson's west-coast reincarnate. This pick, for me, comes down to Hopkins v. Patterson. Patterson may have a bit more flash, but I think St. L would go with Hopkins here. They need WRs, they haven't really had one for years AND they just let Amendola walk. The defense is sufficient enough that they can address OLB and safety later...I just don't see them passing on giving Bradford just one weapon to work with here to add Vaccaro.

17. PITTSBURGH STEELERS SELECT CORDARRELLE PATTERSON, WR, TENNESSEE

Well....this one was tough. If Hunter were still available I'd have him here (in the real draft, I'm going to be completely wrong, and he'll probably still actually be available). It's a toss-up for me between Eifert and Cordarrelle Patterson, and I think the Steelers will go with the receiver. Why? Because while Eifert is able to line up and play some WR, as he showed in the NCAA championship catching balls over Dee Milliner's head...I just can't see overreacting to Heath Miller's injury with a guy who may force his way into Heath Miller's job. I'd rather go with the WR here. That doesn't mean I don't think Eifert is a really, really good prospect. He's like Jeff Samardjiza on steroids. 'Cause they're both white dudes.

With Jason Worilds around, I don't see the Steelers going OLB here, no matter what all of the rumors say. Manny Sanders is probably gone, and if Antonio Brown doesn't take the next step, it's going to be hard to justify paying him almost $10 mil per year going forward. I think sticking somebody like Patterson onto the field will make it that much easier for Brown to elevate his game.

18. DALLAS COWBOYS SELECT DJ FLUKER, OT, ALABAMA

Fluker is a motherfucking mountain of a man who mauls the shit out of people. The Cowboys start Doug Free at tackle. Next question.

19. NY GIANTS

Hmm. They really need line help but Fluker and Warmack are gone. I don't think they reach for anyone else.

Their OLBs are awful, but all of the dudes left are 3-4 OLB/DE hybrids. I can't see Ansah here. Or Mingo.

Walterfootball has Bjoern Werner, who I don't really like, but I guess he makes some sense. Hold on a sec.

NY GIANTS SELECT BJOERN WERNER, DE/OLB, FLORIDA STATE

Bjoern Werner was highly rated at the start of the offseason - like top 5 highly rated. I didn't get it. He had double-digit sacks, but 6 or 7 of them came in the first two games against joke teams. I think he had less than 5 the rest of the way.

But, I read that he's smart and instinctive, and that he is German so he has a way to go as far as understanding the game, so he has some potential. I just don't like it. But I like it better than reaching for an OL prospect.

20. CHICAGO BEARS SELECT TYLER EIFERT, TE, NOTRE DAME

I just mentioned that I think Eifert is an excellent prospect, and the Bears need a tight end bad enough that they signed Matt Spaeth to a big free agent deal a few years ago. Big by Spaeth standards, at least. Sooooo that's pretty much the thought process on this one.

21. CINCINNATI BENGALS SELECT GIOVANNI BERNARD, RB, UNC

The Bengals could presumably go just about anywhere - I don't think they are that great, but they don't really have any holes in their roster. However, running back is probably one of the weaker spots. And they are in the AFC North, where yeah smashmouth, real men, running the ball, ahhhhhh and shit. So I hope they reach like Dhalsim for Giovanni Bernard, who is the top RB on a lot of boards, apparently.

22. ST. LOUIS RAMS SELECT EZEKIAL ANSAH, DE/OLB, BYU

Well, they still need an OLB. I didn't know they had another pick. Ansah is a 3-4 type OLB, but I need to get him off of my board and so fuck it, he can go to St. Louis and cum all over the arch for all I care.

I see Alec Ogletree consistently mocked to teams in this range as an ILB, St. Louis included. I don't see it. Watch his tape. He's completely lost on a football field - you may as well call him Kevin McAllister. I'd take Minter from LSU and probably even Te'o before I took a chance on Ogletree.

23. MINNESOTA VIKINGS SELECT KAWANN SHORT, DT, PURDUE

They need a DT. Kawann Short is a highly ranked DT. This is the point where I stop caring.

24. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS SELECT QB MATT BARKLEY

jk

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS SELECT DESMOND TRUFANT, CB, WASHINGTON

The Colts need defenders badly. Somehow they did ok on defense last season, but it ain't gonna last with this roster. This Trufant guy is rated highly, and Trufants out of Washington have done well in recent NFL history.

25. MINNESOTA VIKINGS - KEVIN MINTER, ILB, LSU

Forgot that Minnesota has the Harvin pick. I'd consider a WR here but you can get them later. They need to keep building the middle of that defense back-up, just like the old Vikings teams from 2009 and 2010 that were actually like, good. Minter is a beastly enough to go 1.26.

26. GREEN BAY PACKERS SELECT KENNY VACCARO, S, TEXAS

Green Bay had an awesome secondary a few years ago. That was a few years ago. Injuries and AIDS epidemics have hurt, so I imagine with the pickings available at this point, they'd inject some youth and supposed skill into it.

27. HOUSTON TEXANS SELECT ANY WIDE RECEIVER

They really need somebody across from Andre Johnson, who is no spring chicken himself.

HOW ABOUT KEENAN ALLEN, WR, CALIFORNIA

Fine. I hope they pick him, because I don't think he'll be that good.

28. DENVER BRONCOS SELECT BARKEVIOUS MINGO, DE/OLB

Why not? They just lost Dumervil, Mingo seems kind of like Dumervil, so you do the math.

29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS SELECT JOHNATHAN COOPER, G, UNC

I read about this guy and people seem to think he's awesome. I doubt New England needs a guard, but why not go BPA? They really need a WR but I cannot see them reaching here for Robert Woods or whoever else may be available.

30. ATLANTA FALCONS SELECT DJ HAYDEN, CB, HOUSTON

Have you read this dude's story? He almost died when a freak hit in practice caused his motherfucking aorta to rupture. Before that, he was considered as possibly the best CB in this draft. This is tremendous value for a team that needs a corner, assuming that Hayden's heart is all back together now.

31. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS SELECT MARGUS HUNT, DE, SMU

Supposedly they like this dude, and Justin Smith is pushing 50, and they have like no real needs, so it makes sense.

32. BALTIMORE RAVENS SELECT DA'RICK ROGERS, WR, TENNESSEE TECH

Fucking finally.

Baltimore just let Boldin go, and I don't understand why. I think he made that offense go. Da'rick Rogers was at Tennessee before using weed or something and getting kicked off of their team. He's a very Boldin-type of receiver, so I think that if he doesn't use weed anymore he'll provide good value at the end of the first.

Ok bye
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:
Sabo wrote:I've been avoid draft coverage as much as possible because I think it's pointless to read mock drafts. The draft itself would be more fun if they didn't have six talking heads per network babbling the same shit over and over.

Woo.
I've grown to loathe mock drafts. Pretty sure I've posted as much in the Swamp before. I like the inside info from draft watchers, but the idea of posting 6 or 7 different mock drafts to speculate who goes where is stupid.

A lot of stuff is stupid. I think they are fun.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:

Ain't nobody gonna give them what they want for Albert AND give Albert a contract.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Icepenis wrote:
brian wrote:

Ain't nobody gonna give them what they want for Albert AND give Albert a contract.
Second round pick.

I'd bet heavily a trade happens.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Icepenis wrote:
brian wrote:

Woo.

A lot of stuff is stupid. I think they are fun.
My issue isn't with them themselves necessary, especially the ones immediately (like a day or two) before the draft, but doing 6 or 7 of them from January to April is beyond ridiculous.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Most of the week prior to the Draft is teams throwing smokescreens or mock drafters saying outrageous things to generate page views. For instance, Mcshay says the Rams will take RB Lacy with the 22nd pick. Not going to happen. Not to say they won't take a RB sometime on saturday but no way on day 1.

I am petrified Fischer talks himself into taking Honey Badger in the 3rd or so. I'm not sure what the tipping point for the number of 'bad character' guys is where the whole thing explodes and goes to shit, but the Rams have got to be close. I know he only smokes pot, but (whether you approve or not) it is illegal. Any guy who sits in front of his potential employer and brags he doesn't remember how many drug tests he failed is either a bad guy or profoundly stupid. Either way the Jets/Raiders can have him.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah, he's basically Leonard Little/Lawrence Phillips all over again.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rams Fanny wrote:Most of the week prior to the Draft is teams throwing smokescreens or mock drafters saying outrageous things to generate page views. For instance, Mcshay says the Rams will take RB Lacy with the 22nd pick. Not going to happen. Not to say they won't take a RB sometime on saturday but no way on day 1.

I am petrified Fischer talks himself into taking Honey Badger in the 3rd or so. I'm not sure what the tipping point for the number of 'bad character' guys is where the whole thing explodes and goes to shit, but the Rams have got to be close. I know he only smokes pot, but (whether you approve or not) it is illegal. Any guy who sits in front of his potential employer and brags he doesn't remember how many drug tests he failed is either a bad guy or profoundly stupid. Either way the Jets/Raiders can have him.
He apparently failed tests for other drugs than pot
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

No way the Cowboys take Fluker if Cooper is available.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At this point I just hope the Lions take anyone OTHER than Ansah. Which means of course that they're gonna take him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

devilfluff wrote:No way the Cowboys take Fluker if Cooper is available.

I just found out who Cooper was when doing this. Everyone else has him in the top 10.

But see, this unique analysis is what sets Heat and Meat apart!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:At this point I just hope the Lions take anyone OTHER than Ansah. Which means of course that they're gonna take him.

Lions fans tell me their secondary is, well, a secondary concern because they resigned that guy they resigned. I disagree with them. What say you?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Icepenis wrote:
brian wrote:At this point I just hope the Lions take anyone OTHER than Ansah. Which means of course that they're gonna take him.

Lions fans tell me their secondary is, well, a secondary concern because they resigned that guy they resigned. I disagree with them. What say you?
This is probably going to be a longer answer than you wanted, but it depends -- basically on how much you trust the scouting department/front office. They drafted three CBs last year, but all three were ravaged by injuries including one (Greenwood) who never played a snap all season. Bill Bentley (third-rounder last year) was a starter pretty much as of Week 2 and played very decent for a rookie, but missed the last 10 games. If you assume he's recovered from his injury and the two other guys are recovered and all three benefit from another offseason, then it maybe isn't as dire as the media and casual fans would lead you to believe (Glover Quin, the safety they signed from Houston is who you're talking about). If Delmas stays healthy (an enormous if I'll grant since he never has), the starting secondary of

Houston Quin Delmas Bentley

...is really not too bad. Houston's advanced stats are better than league average and the other guys are young to young-ish and talented. So-so to poor depth, but that's what late round picks and cut day signings are for.

So all that having been said, I'd rather the Lions went OL in the first round. I'm presuming Joeckel and Fisher would be gone (and of course Fisher is the guy I really want for a million reasons), but I'd be fine with Johnson or even honestly Chance Warmack, even though #5 is high for a guard. Reiff is flexible enough to play four OL positions so if they draft a guard they're all set on four of five OL positions and they'll have a camp battle between two younger guys (Fox and Hilliard) that the team is really high on for the other OT position.

(One final note: If Dion Jordan somehow slips to #5, I'd probably be OK with that. I wouldn't complain about Milliner but his injury history scares me a little, especially given the injury issues the Lions have in the secondary year after year. Just seems like bad luck waiting to happen. But that's a superstitious concern, not an issue with his performance on the field.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think this kid needs to grow up, fast. Or, he is going to cost himself a lot of money, and maybe a career.
Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu just can't seem to stay out of the news as the 2013 NFL Draft approaches.

One day after a story surfaced that he missed two meetings with NFL teams because he was sick, Mathieu tweeted out an advertisement for his draft party to be held Thursday night.

We love the confidence. The party is held on Thursday night and it calls Mathieu a first round pick.

Despite the fact that he sent out the invitation from his verified account, Mathieu displayed a quick backpedal on the issue:

"I didn't say i was going 1st round.. I Did not approve that part of the flyer..." Mathieu wrote after the flyer had been up a few hours. He also wrote: "Smh they just be looking for stuff."

Party promoters often use a player's image and presence to advertise parties in exchange for a fee. Sometimes the promoters use a player's name even without their permission. The difference in this case: Mathieu himself sent out the party invitation
linkage
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I fail to see how throwing a draft party and being optimistic about going in the 1st round is a red flag.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Keg wrote:I fail to see how throwing a draft party and being optimistic about going in the 1st round is a red flag.
Given that he's still 20, he probably should have picked a different venue
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Keg wrote:I fail to see how throwing a draft party and being optimistic about going in the 1st round is a red flag.
How about publicly advertising himself in the invitation as a first round pick, when that is unlikely? How about saying that he was misquoted on an invitation he sent out himself? Don't you think that raises eyebrows among player personnel types? Is he even of age? I'd venture to guess those types are getting tired of him.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

He probably didnt design the flyer so I don't fault him for that. As for tweeting out a picture of the flyer, he was getting the word out which he has to do if he wants people to show up.

Multiple atheletes/celebrities say they are misquoted or hacked on a daily basis and no one bats an eyelash. I dont see how any sane personnel guy in the NFL knocks him down for any of this.

Its just PFT looking to stir shit up as usual.

I like how the say, "We love the confidence. The party is held on Thursday night and it calls Mathieu a first round pick."

Then go on and label it an issue in the next sentence.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Especially when he would not be the first athlete to have his name and likeness used to promote a party he knows nothing about. Not saying he does or doesn't know, just that this has happened before.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

OK, maybe you L.A. guys are right. God knows, I'm glad I haven't been held accountable for too much of the shit I said and did when I was 20.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Especially when he would not be the first athlete to have his name and likeness used to promote a party he knows nothing about. Not saying he does or doesn't know, just that this has happened before.
Unless he retreats to the "my twitter account was hacked" defense, he knew.

The place seems...fun. Wonder if they can show footage of him not being drafted on all of those TVs?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Man, I hope the Jets end up with both Mark Sanchez and Black Mark Sanchez.

I've mentioned before that I work in the NJ suburb where the Jets built their HQ, and that there is a small airport right down the street through which the team shuttles dignitaries (both Favre and Tebow prompted a flock of NYC news copters hovering overhead). I happened to glance over at the airport while driving by this morning (my attention drawn by a helicopter taking off) and there must of been at least a dozen private jets parked outside the main hangar. I guess bringing the bigwigs into the area, or waiting to fly the first round picks out? I hope they offer valet service.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Isn't Matthieu worth some kind of 3rd round pick? Are any rookie contracts guaranteed except for the signing bonuses?

He's talented. Played well against bigger guys. I wouldn't begrudge the Browns taking him at all.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

@FakeGuyMAC wrote:Congrats to Dan Enos on going 4-4 in the MAC with the potential #1 overall pick in the draft. That takes heart and determination.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Been a fan long enough to know im going to watch tonight for 4 hours to see 0 patriots draft picks.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Maybe it's because I live in the city of the team with the #1 pick, but I have horrible draft fatigue. Playing outside with the dog sounds more appealing than watching it tonight.

But on a contradictory note, if Jason Cole's tweet that the 49ers are going to move up to get Sheldon Richardson is true, I can become a 49ers fan with no guilt, right?
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Well, I think the problem with it is more his image. With all the failed tests and whatnot, the image he is putting off by associating himself with this doesn't help his draft stock, especially when teams are looking for a reason to draft him, given his history. Putting out the "party" image so close to draft day isn't such a smart idea. I don't give a crap about the first round pick thing, every athlete thinks they are the best. That's just normal.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:Maybe it's because I live in the city of the team with the #1 pick, but I have horrible draft fatigue. Playing outside with the dog sounds more appealing than watching it tonight.

But on a contradictory note, if Jason Cole's tweet that the 49ers are going to move up to get Sheldon Richardson is true, I can become a 49ers fan with no guilt, right?

Funny thing, even living just outside the city where the draft is held (I assume it is being held in NYC as always), I haven't heard a damned thing about the draft outside of this thread. I have been so isolated the past few months, except for soccer, I feel like I haven't heard or seen any sports news at all.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The ESPN magazine article is far worse than the party flyer. He had to sanction it because he took a cover pic. It pretty much describes him as a drug addict. Now maybe that's known but id at least try to convince someones front office that im just a guy that likes to smoke weed a lot and that theres a difference.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

With the Jets now having two low picks in the first round, is there a chance they don't end up with Teo now? It is inevitable now, right?
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB_skin_test wrote:Isn't Matthieu worth some kind of 3rd round pick? Are any rookie contracts guaranteed except for the signing bonuses?

He's talented. Played well against bigger guys. I wouldn't begrudge the Browns taking him at all.
This made me laugh:
Matt Taibbi wrote:Mathieu only benched 4 reps at the combine, which is pathetic. You can pick any of the Kardashian girls at random, and she could probably do at least 5 reps. I'd still pick Mathieu if he was around after the third round because at the very least, he's going to be a top special-teamer and punt returner.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Isn't Matthieu worth some kind of 3rd round pick? Are any rookie contracts guaranteed except for the signing bonuses?

This made me laugh:
Matt Taibbi wrote:Mathieu only benched 4 reps at the combine, which is pathetic. You can pick any of the Kardashian girls at random, and she could probably do at least 5 reps. I'd still pick Mathieu if he was around after the third round because at the very least, he's going to be a top special-teamer and punt returner.
You can pick any of the swampers at random and they could probably do 0 reps
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Speaking of which - (threadjack warning) - Hey, Bronto - I joined a club, yesterday. - a real club, that you'd approve of. I have a complimentary meeting with one of the personal trainers and I'm going to get a program set up, like you advised me.