Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Swamp Pet Peeves

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
mister d wrote:Is 2 the actual approach or the disbelief that people could like bands you don't know while honestly disliking Billy Joel?
It just seems odd that a no time is anybody ever feeling some Quiet Riot or something.
I think a lot of this stems from a seeming disbelief that certain people really do constantly listen to new music versus their old library. Maybe some day (once Missus D is back at work) we can both chart our music habits for one exciting, excitement filled week and we can analyze.

That's fine and I do too but I'm not a colossal douche about it.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Worst of all, that's like one of three threads where I don't actively try to be one. Probably a bad sign.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:Worst of all, that's like one of three threads where I don't actively try to be one. Probably a bad sign.

It's in yo blood dog!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Like, Yo La Tengo made my ears bleed out of my dick. But I usually just keep that to myself.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't really see any reason to. These are bands, not parents.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gunpowder wrote:Like, Yo La Tengo made my ears bleed out of my dick. But I usually just keep that to myself.
I once threw a puppy in a garbage disposal after hearing Animal Collective. Sounded exactly the same.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Gunpowder wrote:Rush for example is so awful (the band, not the poster)…
Don't sell the poster short.

(i keed, i keed.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Gunpowder wrote:
rass wrote: 2. I think you (and especially SL) are way too sensitive on this subject. Way more positivity ("hey, you guys should check this out") than negativity around here, and I at least think the latter is more indicative of "hipsterism".
Not a chance. There's negativity and it's annoying as hell. Some of the most godawful shit is listened to in here but I don't point it out when it's posted. Rush for example is so awful (the band, not the poster) but I don't note that when they are brought up.
Rush is just pulling your chain.

Most of those 'bands' don't even exist. They're hipster parody. Some of the links go to pages that are clearly the result of a bored IT professional with too much time on his hand and a great idea for a fantasy band. Others go to a page that says "Just kidding" and has a poster of a rainbow. The rest of us get it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Like who the hell would name a band "The Tragically Hip?" Obviously made up.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

That band was awful too. Maybe I just have weird ears.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

To each his own. Every fan of (the band) Rush knows that a large segment of their friends, family and acquaintances hate the band. We've learned to live with it. I like a lot of stuff by The Tragically Hip, too. I could name you many more unhip bands I like that many of you (especially you hipsters) would hate, have hated or do hate. My wife and daughter both mock much of what I listen to, as well. I just sack up and move on.

Fwiw, and I say this with no malice intended - I try to be a racially sensitive dude, and I try to appreciate that each culture has valuable things to offer - but I really did not enjoy at all, 90% of all the hip-hop/rap I've ever heard. (Though I kind of like some of the stuff that combines rock and rap).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I despise all country and metal and its not because I hate whites. I think you're safe.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote: but I really did not enjoy at all, 90% of all the hip-hop/rap I've ever heard.
Same here. Although, I hate black people, so that is different from you. (I hate white people too - see, I'm not racist.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I despise all country and metal and its not because I hate whites. It's because I hate white trash.

1.) I feel self conscious at times sending an "in" message, but I feel like I have to because it is less than an hour before deadline, so I want to let Ryan know I e-mailed my answers. Shit, I need to send TT his answers. If it is a couple days out, no reason to post, as Ryan sends out a couple updates every week.

2.) I've always read the Spins thread as people sharing the newer bands/albums they are into. I use that thread as a way to hear some stuff others like, and see if it is something for me to seek out. I don't think I have sought out any new music beyond that thread and Bapo! sending me stuff.

3.) J-Lo, consider this a catchall appreciation of your righteous indignation. I can't call it out every time, but I love it. From cheeseless calzones to your angst against the Catholic Church. Always love reading your indignant remarks. You have a lot of problems with all people, and like to let us know about it. And you are right to have problems with everyone and everything? There, happy now you miserable fuck?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

mister d wrote:I despise all country and metal and its not because I hate whites. I think you're safe.
I like older country and hate metal. Probably would like some Trad Country Metal, if it exists. If not, it should. But the band would have to pretty heavily feature a good pedal steel player. And cool it with all the high-frequency angsty wailing at least some of the time.

I try to hate people based on empirical evidence. So I hate the individuals who have actively harmed me, say by stealing my money or beating me. That's not a short list, but it doesn't have anyone but white people on it. I thought there was going to be this one Mexican guy there. He shoved my face into the bar countertop and held it there with his shoulder as a fight erupted behind us. But as it turns out, he interrupted our conversation so his buddies in one of the the biker gangs up from the valley on a run to the little town featured in The Wild Ones wouldn't hurt me. I was the only white guy in there except the bartender, and he had a gun. So it was kind of dicey. In my book, that's plus one for Mexican bikers. White people are negative alot.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Not enough Barry Manilow talk.
Popin' ain't easy
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

No one ever has admitted that my TMZ-ization of sports coverage prediction has become pretty f-ing accurate.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Get used to it, bubba. 'Round here, they don't credit the correct predictions, nor the winning percentage, but they sure remember the misses.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I was never an opponent of that proposition. Although, we can still be mad at you for promoting it, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:3.) J-Lo, consider this a catchall appreciation of your righteous indignation. I can't call it out every time, but I love it. From cheeseless calzones to your angst against the Catholic Church. Always love reading your indignant remarks. You have a lot of problems with all people, and like to let us know about it. And you are right to have problems with everyone and everything? There, happy now you miserable fuck?
I was thinking maybe like a formal award.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:Not enough Barry Manilow talk.
I stayed right up the block from the current location of the Copacabana last week. I sang "her name was Lola..." to myself a couple of times.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jerloma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:3.) J-Lo, consider this a catchall appreciation of your righteous indignation. I can't call it out every time, but I love it. From cheeseless calzones to your angst against the Catholic Church. Always love reading your indignant remarks. You have a lot of problems with all people, and like to let us know about it. And you are right to have problems with everyone and everything? There, happy now you miserable fuck?
I was thinking maybe like a formal award.
How about a billboard?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

In(on the plaid)

Plaid is the best pattern. The combination of horizontal and vertical striping look perfect on a middle aged white dude. It transitions from business casual to Agway in seconds. Add a Fedora and you can fit in with the other hipsters while drinking your PBR.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Jerloma wrote:I was never an opponent of that proposition. Although, we can still be mad at you for promoting it, right?
The Swamp: Being mad at reality for its entire existence
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I was never an opponent of that proposition. Although, we can still be mad at you for promoting it, right?
That sounds about right.

I hadn't noticed the decline into the TMZification of sports. Either it happened slowly, or the rest of society has gone that way so sports doesn't stand out. 10 years ago, does the Ray Rice video turn into a shitstorm? Probably not, as TV news and ESPN wouldn't have shown it then, but now with everything posted on youtube, I think TV can get away with showing more. If nobody saw the video but heard Rice hit his fiance, he gets the 4 games and we move on. Seeing the video made it real, and we all freaked out.

So congrats, Bronto. You were right. Your industry continues to foster the decay of society.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
That sounds about right.

I hadn't noticed the decline into the TMZification of sports. Either it happened slowly, or the rest of society has gone that way so sports doesn't stand out. 10 years ago, does the Ray Rice video turn into a shitstorm? Probably not, as TV news and ESPN wouldn't have shown it then, but now with everything posted on youtube, I think TV can get away with showing more. If nobody saw the video but heard Rice hit his fiance, he gets the 4 games and we move on. Seeing the video made it real, and we all freaked out.

So congrats, Bronto. You were right. Your industry continues to foster the decay of society.
Here's where I feel obligated to counter that programming and news only has trended in a certain direction because the demand is there. The ability to see the monstrous view/share/etc statistics on stories that a typical swamper may see as a symbol of the decay of society drives their prominence. They get written because they get clicked. It's not the other way around.

And if you counter by saying that media outlets need to focus on important events, I don't disagree at all. But you lay out a local website with a big centerpiece about something (let's say a city's budget shortfall) and have a post in the sidebar about how the hot newsgirl now has a new responsibility, well...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
That sounds about right.

Here's where I feel obligated to counter that programming and news only has trended in a certain direction because the demand is there. The ability to see the monstrous view/share/etc statistics on stories that a typical swamper may see as a symbol of the decay of society drives their prominence. They get written because they get clicked. It's not the other way around.

And if you counter by saying that media outlets need to focus on important events, I don't disagree at all. But you lay out a local website with a big centerpiece about something (let's say a city's budget shortfall) and have a post in the sidebar about how the hot newsgirl now has a new responsibility, well...
You sound just like Al Capone did when he justified his bootlegging activities. The public wanted the illegal booze, and he was just servicing that demand.

[just kidding Bronto - I do think that we've gotten used to the TMZing of sports.]
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The fact that Sam Simon, co-creator of the Simpsons and writer/director/producer of a number of other classic shows died, and didn't get a single mention. Unless I missed it. If anyone deserved a mention, it is Sam Simon.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Foul...you can't have a pet peeve over something of which you're simultaneously guilty and being something that can only happen once, it's really more of a grievance than a pet peeve.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Can I go with the level of pedanticity here? That's a pet peeve of mine.

I looked up the word, and it's actually "pedanticalness". "Pedanticity" sounds better. Ooh, irony!
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bored. Slow afternoon.

I spent the last 1/2 hour fruitlessly searching for a case of Jerloma posting some variation of "In" for a SC match. He's frustratingly consistent in many ways, as we'll see.

While he is very often among the last participants to submit, and he seems to regularly come in and shoot the shit just a prior to the deadline and presumably just after sending his results, I can't find where he has ever actually announced his entry. In fact, I even found what might be the first instance, from about 4 1/2 years ago, of his expressing his disdain for what was even then a well-worn habit of many Swampers:
Jerloma wrote:I've only played this game once and then DeGen disappeared but what's the deal with notifying the host that we e-mailed our answers? Wouldn't he theoretically see the e-mail before the post?
rass wrote:Look what happened to HoosierDaddy*. Also, you're a curmudgeon.
TennBengal wrote:Because sometimes, for whatever reason, e-mails don't work. And this way ryan knows you have tried, and if he hasn't received them, you can know in time to re-send or send via PM...
Jerloma wrote:Im just gonna take a chance and rely on my e-mail. I'm fucking nuts like that.
*Conveniently enough, just earlier in that thread HoosierDaddy announced that he had emailed his answers, Ryan posted that he never received them, HoosierDaddy verified Ryan's email address, and then:
Ryan wrote:Got it. Unspammed.

(if you can figure out how to navigate to the third page you'll see the exchange here)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ehhh, I guess when there isn't a stickied thread at the top of the main page. It's kind of like a heading and for some reason keeps everything organized. I have no idea why that is. Whenever there isn't a stickied thread, I'm like "Why is everything all jumbled? I NEED AN ADULT."

When I first started posting here? The abundant and rampant liberalism. Sweet fuck that was suffocating. I've swung more towards, and correct me if I'm wrong, the center as I've gotten older. However, when there was a dude who would, no shit, post daily in Wlu-Lax fashion the most ridiculous left wing bullshit and it went unchecked, yet any form of defending a conservative standpoint broke out the pitchforks, I nearly quit before I began. Dead honest.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

*fist-pump*
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote:Can I go with the level of pedanticity here? That's a pet peeve of mine.

I looked up the word, and it's actually "pedanticalness". "Pedanticity" sounds better. Ooh, irony!
I'm just gonna go ahead and second this one.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:Can I go with the level of pedanticity here? That's a pet peeve of mine.

I'm just gonna go ahead and second this one.
One of the first things I learned after joining the Swamp ten years ago, is that if you are not precisely accurate in every statement you make, someone will quickly point that out for you. I'll admit it was a good corrective adjustment for me, as I was forced to factcheck my bullshit before posting. We lost Bill Cross but we still have the rest of the Swamp to helpfully question every assertion.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't stand the "hey, people keep watching/clicking" justification. More people would watch early basketball if the first free throw resulted in cheerleader tits with a make and a free opposition ballshot with a miss. Let's do that too.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I know the 'gonz is busy living the SouthernLyfe, but what happened to the ScienceHoss?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pedanticity is my favorite Grammar Police album
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:One of the first things I learned after joining the Swamp ten years ago, is that if you are not precisely accurate in every statement you make, someone will quickly point that out for you. I'll admit it was a good corrective adjustment for me, as I was forced to factcheck my bullshit before posting. We lost Bill Cross but we still have the rest of the Swamp to helpfully question every assertion.
Every statement?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:I can't stand the "hey, people keep watching/clicking" justification. More people would watch early basketball if the first free throw resulted in cheerleader tits with a make and a free opposition ballshot with a miss. Let's do that too.
It's not 100 percent defensible, or 100 percent ethical. But when you have media companies that need to make money you have to go where the clicks are.