What's happening, Dudes?

Post by Mr. C »

Where you guys been all my life?
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: What's happening, Dudes?

Post by Rush2112 »

5 hours to the south southwest?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Rush2112 wrote:5 hours to the south southwest?
Great post for your 2112nd in this version of the Swamp. And good to see you again Mr. C
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bensell wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:5 hours to the south southwest?
Great post for your 2112nd in this version of the Swamp. And good to see you again Mr. C
Nice catch.

Hi Mr C. Still aldermangin'?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What's happening? I don't argue politics nor economics anymore. Well, not much anyways.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

howard wrote:What's happening? I don't argue politics nor economics anymore. Well, not much anyways.
Being dreadfully wrong so consistently can really begin to take your will, huh?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Waiting for a necktie to show up in the laundry room at our house.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:Being dreadfully wrong so consistently can really begin to take your will, huh?
How the hell would I know?

(The opposite; being so overwhelmingly right, yet surrounded by a nation of sheep who believe what their wolf overlords spew. The dissonance stopped hurting years ago, though.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Mr. C
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mr. C »

Heh. I can always use a new tie, DSafe.

I mistakenly thought I could swamp from work...I forgot about Selma and that chick on the stool...she isn't welcome round those parts.

The big reason that compelled me to come back at this time is that I'm considering moving and need some advice/perspective.

I'm being recruited by NA Höganäs in Johnstown, PA. A former grad student from my laser shooting days works there and they need a guy with my technical skills and personality (or so they say...no offer is on the table yet.) They just flew The Wife and I out there all expenses paid for two days. I had a full day of interviews, which included the Wonderlic test, and a plant tour. The second day was spent driving around with a Realtor (arranged by NAH) and dining with employees.

The company offers better benefits (even though I already have great benefits) and I would make significantly more money there, but I would also travel 25-50% of the time. The Wife isn't too keen on the 50% travel possibility.

I know some of you have made big geographical moves in your life, what advice or suggestions do you have? Those of you who have families and travel for work, what is your experience there?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I think it simply starts with "do you believe you would like the new job more than your current job, specifically the work itself, workplace atmosphere, and so on?" If the answer there is "no," then don't change gigs.

Beyond that, it gets into things like your wife working (does she/would she), child care/schools, and on and on from there.

A few years ago, my wife had what she thought was a dream job offered to her. She had some second thoughts about taking it and I actually made her write out the cliched pro/con list (I was out of town for work at the time). When she actually did that, it was a lot less of a dream job than she originally thought and turned it down.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I guess I'd make sure that Johnstown doesn't suck too much for your liking
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I'd be a lot more worried about the travel and that wide range than I would moving. You can always just move again.

(25-50% just seems like a huge range. If its "one week per month, but sometimes two so we include 50% in the range" its one thing. If its "you'll go somewhere every week, but sometimes its just an overnight versus two or three", its a whole other.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'd say no way but I may be biased because I hate travel, change, and Pennsylvania. On the other hand, anyone with friends from their "laser shooting days" can probably make decent life decisions.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Mr. C wrote:Heh. I can always use a new tie, DSafe.

I mistakenly thought I could swamp from work...I forgot about Selma and that chick on the stool...she isn't welcome round those parts.

The big reason that compelled me to come back at this time is that I'm considering moving and need some advice/perspective.

I'm being recruited by NA Höganäs in Johnstown, PA. A former grad student from my laser shooting days works there and they need a guy with my technical skills and personality (or so they say...no offer is on the table yet.) They just flew The Wife and I out there all expenses paid for two days. I had a full day of interviews, which included the Wonderlic test, and a plant tour. The second day was spent driving around with a Realtor (arranged by NAH) and dining with employees.

The company offers better benefits (even though I already have great benefits) and I would make significantly more money there, but I would also travel 25-50% of the time. The Wife isn't too keen on the 50% travel possibility.

I know some of you have made big geographical moves in your life, what advice or suggestions do you have? Those of you who have families and travel for work, what is your experience there?
Sure, come back when you need something.

I wouldn't discount a position based on the estimated travel. Job descriptions always overstate the amount of travel to make sure a new hire is willing to travel. I almost didn't apply to my job because it said 50% overnight travel. During the final round of interviews, the executive that interviewed me told me that travel would be 35% at the absolute most, but very likely less than that. In a year and a half, I have made 3 trips, including my initial week of training. As a recruiter and HR consultant, I've seen this countless times. Not always with travel, but all aspects of a job. OTOH, if your friend is telling you that, then give it serious consideration. Is all of the travel overnight? Partly/mostly day trips?

Is your wife going to be working? If she wants to work, what are the prospects in her field? My travel is an issue for my wife, as she usually gets to work well before the kids go to school. It is really tough for her to get in late and leave early enough to get the kids, then deal with all of their shit. If you have parents where you are now, it could make things a lot more complicated leaving them behind. OTOH, you can drive to Binghamton!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Johnstown, PA is where the people drank all that Kool-Aid, right?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Oh yeah, they were flooded with it.

To me, Johnstown means Slap Shot.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Hey Mr. C.

Double bonus since I have absconded from facebook and can hope to get your occasional thoughts on backpacking here.
Mr. C
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mr. C »

After much thoughtful consideration of all these points, and what the job has to offer professionally, we've decided that I should pursue the position. I talked with the head HR guy and he told me to make them an offer. I've never been in that position before. So tomorrow I'm going to ask for 15% more than what I would like, and more time off than they normally give, and go from there.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Mr. C wrote:After much thoughtful consideration of all these points, and what the job has to offer professionally, we've decided that I should pursue the position. I talked with the head HR guy and he told me to make them an offer. I've never been in that position before. So tomorrow I'm going to ask for 15% more than what I would like, and more time off than they normally give, and go from there.
Congrats!

Not asking for numbers, but for curiosity's sake, how did you come up with the "what you would like" figure? I imagine a combination of current salary plus cost of living increase, etc?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Mr. C wrote:After much thoughtful consideration of all these points, and what the job has to offer professionally, we've decided that I should pursue the position. I talked with the head HR guy and he told me to make them an offer. I've never been in that position before. So tomorrow I'm going to ask for 15% more than what I would like, and more time off than they normally give, and go from there.
Congrats man... I'm in State College and went to UPJ for a year in the early nineties. PM me if you want to chat about the area. Johnstown is what you would expect in a blighted Appalachian town. If you make 6 figures you can live like a god in that town.

Do you have kids? Ages? I can ask around about schools.
Mr. C
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mr. C »

Brontoburglar wrote:Not asking for numbers, but for curiosity's sake, how did you come up with the "what you would like" figure? I imagine a combination of current salary plus cost of living increase, etc?
I did some research into similar positions in the industry, added a premium based on the uniqueness of my skillset and the position, and took into account the travel, moving my family etc. and came up with a number that made me feel properly compensated. I foresee negotiations so I added on 15% to cover that.
testuser2 wrote:Congrats man... I'm in State College and went to UPJ for a year in the early nineties. PM me if you want to chat about the area. Johnstown is what you would expect in a blighted Appalachian town. If you make 6 figures you can live like a god in that town.

Do you have kids? Ages? I can ask around about schools.
Thanks...yeah it will definitely be a different cultural experience. I have a 2yo son and one on the way in May. The Wife has done a lot of school research, but I'm always open to more data so share what you can.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Good luck, Mr. C!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

and to think PA will be an upgrade!

Good luck man!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good news Mr. C, congrats and good luck on the transition. Happy for you guys.
Mr. C
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mr. C »

Well...they didn't accept my offer on the spot. One of the decision makers is in China, and they are gong to wait for him to get back before countering.

Tick...tock...........tick...tock...