Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: 2015 NFL Offseason

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Reports out of Indy say we signed Gore and Andre Johnson.
Nice pickups.

Man, I wish I was a Colts fan.

You like old declining players sadly surrounding a great QB and wasting away his rookie contract years?
If the price is right I'm OK with it. Haven't seen terms yet. Johnson could be pretty decent.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He should really consider going by Darryl Skrine.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Reports out of Indy say we signed Gore and Andre Johnson.
Nice pickups.

Man, I wish I was a Colts fan.

You like old declining players sadly surrounding a great QB and wasting away his rookie contract years?
If the price is right I'm OK with it. Haven't seen terms yet. Johnson could be pretty decent.

I could definitely be wrong but I think Johnson is just about done. He might be like a top 40 NFL WR maybe IMO.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Revis back to the Jets. Rather lose with dignity intact I suppose. Admirable.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Revis back to the Jets. Rather lose with dignity intact I suppose. Admirable.
I'll grant you the lose part, but dignity? As a Jet? Clearly you don't follow the Jets closely. Despite hearing rumors that the Jets were frontrunners for Revis, I didn't really think it would happen. My comment above wasn't remotely serious. Good thing I kept the Revis jerseys my inlaws gave me and both kids during the offseason just before he left.

If Skrine is average, he is still a huge upgrade. Defense should be pretty good now. The O-line was shit last year, and there is an enormous questionmark at QB. Other than that, I am really starting to like the new Jets.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Answer:
The Sybian wrote:Other than that, I am really starting to like the new Jets.
Question: What did the captain of the Titanic say as the ship left the harbor?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

There could be a lot of 13-10 games in the AFC East this year.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DC47 wrote:Answer:
Question: What did the captain of the Titanic say as the ship left the harbor?
I don't know why anyone in their right minds would intentionally pick going to New York!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

What the hell are the Eagles doing? I'm completely lost.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I don't understand why they'd want Bradford, the player, much less Bradford's big contract and cap hit, and even give up the better pick in the deal.

Foles wasn't exactly a running quarterback, but he did show a bit of athleticism and carry the ball on occasion. Bradford doesn't even present that threat. Bradford was a great college quarterback, but he hasn't been healthy long enough to even prove he is a dependable and capable pro quarterback. At least, Foles had one fine season. And, Kelly's quarterbacks get hit a lot. I wonder what the over/under is on how long it will take for Bradford to break?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote: I don't know why anyone in their right minds would intentionally pick going to New York!
Said the Browns fan. I completely agree, though. Revis loves money, and he won a ring? He will settle quickly since he spent most of his career with Jets? Who wouldn't want to live in New Jersey?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote: I don't know why anyone in their right minds would intentionally pick going to New York!
Said the Browns fan. I completely agree, though. Revis loves money, and he won a ring? He will settle quickly since he spent most of his career with Jets? Who wouldn't want to live in New Jersey?
One truism is that you can have a damned fine life in any population center, if you make that kind of dough.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I kind of get it from Revis' standpoint. He has his ring, so the rest of his career is for money and enjoyment and chasing his best case scenario. If the Jets somehow win with Revis as a key part, he's Namath II here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos wrote:I wonder what the over/under is on how long it will take for Bradford to break?
They better cancel the training camp golf outing due to the risk.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm gonna miss making Nick Foles/Blur Offense jokes.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I love Suh.

I also love the Lions losing him to the Dolphins and trading for Ngata.

I'd appreciate it if the Ravens fans, and other experts, would tell me how much Ngata has left. I know how great he has been. But I haven't seen him play in a couple of years, so I don't know how he is playing now. And of course, I'm suspicious any time Ozzie lets a player go.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Here comes the pun ...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Here comes the pun ...

Well, I'm ngata gonna do it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, are some of these retirements concussion-related? Not necessarily in terms of the players having had concussions, but players starting to see the long-term effects football has on you.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB_skin_test wrote:Also, are some of these retirements concussion-related? Not necessarily in terms of the players having had concussions, but players starting to see the long-term effects football has on you.
Wouldn't surprise me with Jake Locker. But, Patrick Willis' injury issues were mainly related to his feet.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I could see deciding $40MM is enough to not have me risk my ability to comfortably walk for more.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:Yeah, I don't understand why they'd want Bradford, the player, much less Bradford's big contract and cap hit, and even give up the better pick in the deal.

Foles wasn't exactly a running quarterback, but he did show a bit of athleticism and carry the ball on occasion. Bradford doesn't even present that threat. Bradford was a great college quarterback, but he hasn't been healthy long enough to even prove he is a dependable and capable pro quarterback. At least, Foles had one fine season. And, Kelly's quarterbacks get hit a lot. I wonder what the over/under is on how long it will take for Bradford to break?
So Foles is better because he's had one great (fluky) season and Bradford hasn't been healthy long enough to even prove he is a dependable and capable pro quarterback even though he's played two full seasons?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Bradford-Foles trade is the epitome of how "what have you done for me lately" absolutely rules all in the NFL.

Bradford's DVOA in his full seasons was 12th and 15th and he's shown he's an accurate passer. Foles was clearly regressing from the outstanding 2014 before he got hurt and missed the rest of the year. While I'm good with people saying the Rams got the better end of the trade, it's not like Philly was fleeced on this or Bradford has proven to be a poor quarterback. If he's healthy (and while two ACL surgeries are a big if, you can argue it's better than constant nagging injuries) he should be a productive QB, especially given the upgrade in talent around him in Philly vs. St. Louis.

He's also only 27. Foles is 26. If you think Bradford hasn't reached his ceiling yet because of injury and roster factors and that Foles has (which is probably true based on TD-INT ratio), then you make the trade.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Yeah, I don't understand why they'd want Bradford, the player, much less Bradford's big contract and cap hit, and even give up the better pick in the deal.

So Foles is better because he's had one great (fluky) season and Bradford hasn't been healthy long enough to even prove he is a dependable and capable pro quarterback even though he's played two full seasons?
Of course the book isn't written. But that's not what I sad. And, we do know that Bradford is going to a system that appears sub-optimal for his skill set and injury history. And that the Eagles are making a substantial bet on Bradford, given the price tag and cap implications.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Of course the book isn't written. But that's not what I sad. And, we do know that Bradford is going to a system that appears sub-optimal for his skill set and injury history. And that the Eagles are making a substantial bet on Bradford, given the price tag and cap implications.
No, it's not what you said directly, but you clearly valued Foles more than Bradford, hence my response.

Bradford's in the final season of his contract and they have the cap space. If he plays well, they pay him. If he doesn't, they don't. And how does the Eagles system appear sub-optimal for his skill set? Foles and Sanchez weren't running the read option 15 times a game like Marcus Mariota was at Oregon.

Again, I'm not saying Kelly is infallible, but the talk of Bradford not being a fit strikes a similar chord to the ones that said Kelly's offensive scheme and philosophy would never work in the NFL.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The cap hit is the argument that I buy.

Otherwise non-ACL torn Bradford >> Nick Luckiest Season Ever Foles
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote:The cap hit is the argument that I buy.

Otherwise non-ACL torn Bradford >> Nick Luckiest Season Ever Foles
For a team that has cap issues, I think it's a bigger deal. But given the Eagles' cap structure (they'd have to spend to spend to get to the threshold) and the one-year commitment, I think it's a small factor.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Supposedly, the Eagles may be signing DeMarco Murray. That would certainly affect their cap situation. They already signed Ryan Matthews.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:Supposedly, the Eagles are close to signing DeMarco Murray. That would certainly affect their cap situation.
Not really. I assume it would be backloaded like most NFL FA deals. For example, Suh's contract only counts about $6M against Miami's cap for 2015 (but $27M in 2016).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wouldn't it make sense to front-load if they have oodles of cap room?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Wouldn't it make sense to front-load if they have oodles of cap room?
Yeah, I wasn't aware that was their situation, but if so it would to a degree. (Though the more money they front load the less money they "save" if they need to cut him later in the contract.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe Kelly is of impeccable ethics and plans on actually treating all contracts as two-way?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Big Vince to the Texans.

Tebow reentering the public consciousness because of Chip Kelly.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:Big Vince to the Texans.

Can someone just please sign him to see how long it takes the public to go from "look, that poor disenfranchised upstanding Christian boy is finally getting a chance to live his dream" to "Philadelphia cuts Tebow and trades 2 number one draft pics for Jamarcus Russel"...

Please?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The current sentiment of the fans in 49er country...

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:Big Vince to the Texans.

I love the Wilfork acquisition. I also liked the Cecil Shorts III one as well until he tore his hamstring signing his name.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote:The current sentiment of the fans in 49er country...

Chris Borland retiring is a shocker. It sounds like he did a lot of diligence on the health effects of football before deciding it wasn't worth it. Kind of fascinating to me, considering that he had a great rookie season and was poised to become a star with Willis retiring. Good for him to turn down future millions for the sake of his long-term wellbeing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I legit can't imagine football being the same in 10 years.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:I legit can't imagine football being the same in 10 years.
I'm beginning to feel the same way. When athletes at their peak walk away because of the risks associated with their sport, something has to change.

Although having typed that and realizing that most football fans (probably including myself) will cheer for any scrub wearing his team's colours, I can see the league staying in a state of denial for years and years to come.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

People have been walking away from the military for years. BOOM, MADE YA THINK.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The