Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by L-Jam3 »

Your hometown might be small, but it's certainly not unknown. All of us ate breakfast cereal as kids, if not now.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Two shows that I like, which haven't gotten much run in this thread Togetherness on HBO Sundays after Girls. The dialogue and interaction of the characters feels more genuine to me than any TV show in years. Real, flawed people acting like people do in real life.

And Man Seeking Woman on FXX Wednesdays after It's Always Sunny. Incredibly original, surreal in wildly created ways. Just when I think they are going to slip into sad-sack cliché loser who can't get a girl, they do something completely acid-trip weird. This is the kind of show that would never make it on network tv because it is so weird, but should succeed wildly because it is so good and funny. Eric Andre is the best friend.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I need to give Togetherness a shot. I'm behind on most of the shows that I watch though, so it'll probably be a while.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

howard wrote: And Man Seeking Woman on FXX Wednesdays after It's Always Sunny. Incredibly original, surreal in wildly created ways. Just when I think they are going to slip into sad-sack cliché loser who can't get a girl, they do something completely acid-trip weird. This is the kind of show that would never make it on network tv because it is so weird, but should succeed wildly because it is so good and funny. Eric Andre is the best friend.
It's time to put your bro down when he gets to the age he can't pound Patron and pound sloppy gash.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That sequence was just hilarious, from dinner party to 'Bro Humane Society.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

howard wrote:That sequence was just hilarious, from dinner party to 'Bro Humane Society.
The pilot was so good. Fucking Hitler.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

howard wrote:Jinx. Yep. Well, me and teh LA District Attorney's Office.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Durst arrested yesterday afternoon in New Orleans, on LA warrant. They didn't even wait for tonight's episode.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-durs ... w-orleans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

howard wrote:
howard wrote:Jinx. Yep. Well, me and teh LA District Attorney's Office.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Durst arrested yesterday afternoon in New Orleans, on LA warrant. They didn't even wait for tonight's episode.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-durs ... w-orleans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a LOT going on with this situation, but what strikes me is that people seem to think this audio will be the final nail in Durst's coffin.

1) It's really unclear to me how this admissible. It's well-established that I'm not a lawyer, and I know laws on tape recording vary from state-to-state, but my understanding is that there's a good chance this won't be allowed in court.

2) Ok, let's say the audio is admissible, what does it really prove? The final phrase "Killed all of them, of course" is pretty easily explained away by his thinking that's this is the conclusion the producers and audience will come to, not an admission of actual guilt. The ramblings of a stressed out geezer aren't going to be enough here.

3) And let's put the audio aside. Let's just look at what they are focused on: The letter alerting authorities of a cadaver could easily be explained: "I came to the house to visit Susan, found her dead, and fled the scene. But I wanted my friends' body found, so I wrote the note."
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I agree that his open-mike 'confession' is not conclusive, if indeed it is admissible.

The note, otoh, I think is huge. In fact, Durst said himself, in the open-mike comments, that the matching envelope seals his fate. His words: "There it is. You're caught…" I agree with him.

The most interesting part of the HBO series for me was how his high-priced and skilled lawyers managed to mount a successful defense in the one case brought to murder trial. They raised reasonable doubts, and convinced the jurors to accept those reasonable doubts.

I agree the "cadaver" note can be explained away. Whether that explanation can rise to the level of a reasonable doubt, I don't think so, but that is up to the court and the jury.

In my very limited experience, there are lots and lots of criminal convictions obtained despite very reasonable doubts being raised in court. Including murder convictions. The real world consistently falls far short of this 'idealized' standard.

But the big lesson here we have seen before. When you get away with murder, STFU and go away. Be Robert Blake; don't be the OJ.

Durst deserves to go to prison for the rest of his life for being fucking stupid. (According to the HBO miniseries,) Durst asked to do this interview project; the filmmaker didn't even initiate contact with Durst. If he doesn't do these interviews, he is a free man today.

The only explanation I can come up with, for both the "cadaver" note and for his figuratively hanging himself, is that he does have a conscience; a very guilty one.

I wonder if that conscience is so guilty that the revolver he had when arrested on Saturday turns out to be the gun that killed Berman.

ETA: more words.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

These two are so fucking funny.

"You girls are so pretty, you should smile!"

[media]https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CAbWyueUMAAIW7U.mp4[/media]

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

howard wrote:I agree the "cadaver" note can be explained away. Whether that explanation can rise to the level of a reasonable doubt, I don't think so, but that is up to the court and the jury.
Proves he found the body, not that he killed her.

(Those attorneys were something else. I assume they're still active, atleast the younger one, and none seemed to have any issue more or less admitting they half-truthed and preyed on a dumb jury. Not that all attorneys don't, but you aren't supposed to admit it.)
howard wrote:The only explanation I can come up with, for both the "cadaver" note and for his figuratively hanging himself, is that he does have a conscience; a very guilty one.
I like the theory that he knows his time is limited and figured the exposure, whatever the result, would fuck his brother/family. I don't know that I buy it, but I like it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Before you judge him, just remember - Robert Durst has a hit show on HBO and you don't. @billyeichner
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote:
Giff wrote:
howard wrote:Louise Belcher is wonderful.
Every single character on that show is wonderful.
I've got a soft spot for the weirdness that is Gene as well. Any show that makes a kid throw out a Toad the Wet Sprocket joke knows what it is doing.
"Why is the front door open?!?"

"Maybe g-d closed a window?"

Love this show so much.

ETA: Chinchilla-Con!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Giff wrote:
howard wrote:Louise Belcher is wonderful.
Every single character on that show is wonderful.
I've got a soft spot for the weirdness that is Gene as well. Any show that makes a kid throw out a Toad the Wet Sprocket joke knows what it is doing.
"Why is the front door open?!?"

"Maybe g-d closed a window?"

Love this show so much.

ETA: Chinchilla-Con!
Put on the Gene jacket!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Not digging Kimmy Schmidt at all 1.5 episodes in.

ETA - I liked the next 1.5 episodes a bit more.
I had some LOL moments but wasn't hooked after the first episode last night. Willing to give it a few more.
Like I said...I give Tina Fey the benefit of the doubt. The first few episodes have to have so much exposition in terms of developing the characters that the plots seem a bit forced, but I think it will sort itself out.
Just watched the first two episodes and I am completely whelmed.

A couple mild laughs, but it seems very mean spirited without the high spirits of 30 Rock. I'll give it another shot, but not tonight. Just a bit nasty for my taste.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

WRT Better Call Saul

Post by howard »

Go Land Crabs!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I've got them on the other side of the bracket from Iowa State to make it to the elite 8. Sure, that would be a historic run. But I remember that amazing victory over Northeast South Oklahoma back in December.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Have we talked about Bloodlines on Netflix yet? My wife and I are totally fixated on Key West and that area. This show is about a very dysfunctional family that owns/runs a bed and breakfast near the Southernmost Point. Really good cast, and we're 3 episodes in and will definitely play out the string.

Kind of a True Detective vibe, but with a lot more of the "gee, just how fucked up IS this family" peel the layers back type of deal.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

The X-Files is coming back for 6 more episodes with Gillian Anderson, David Duchovny & Chris Carter all aboard.

I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned Comedy Central's "This is Not Happening" here but it's fantastic. Ari Shaffir hosts and 2 or 3 comics tell long stories about things like relationships and friendship.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Bensell wrote:The X-Files is coming back for 6 more episodes with Gillian Anderson, David Duchovny & Chris Carter all aboard.

I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned Comedy Central's "This is Not Happening" here but it's fantastic. Ari Shaffir hosts and 2 or 3 comics tell long stories about things like relationships and friendship.
Yes, I really like This is Not Happening. Somewhat of a comedy nerd, and between WTF and sporadic listens to other comedians' podcasts, I feel like I know most of the comedians who have been on the show since they reveal so much in these interviews. Most of the stories are on the raunchy and debaucherous side.

Anyone watch The Slap? It seems like the most ridiculous premise for a show, so I'm thinking it must expand into something much bigger. The cast is way too good for a network drama, so I was intrigued, but have no desire to watch it.

I caught up with Last Man on Earth. I love it. The way they handle it is so fun. Forte's character is so painfully awkward with January Jones. I typically don't like that kind of awkward tension comedy, but it is sort of necessary to carry the plot. I also can't help but think about how fun that scenario could be for a couple of weeks. Steal everything, live in any house you want, unlimited supply of any booze you could ever want. Sure, canned food would get really boring and eventually expire, but I'm sure I'd kill myself long before that. It seems like there are no animals so far, so hunting isn't an option, and I am too lazy to grow a garden.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

"The Jack and Triumph Show" is fucking hysterical.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DSafetyGuy wrote:"The Jack and Triumph Show" is fucking hysterical.
For me to poop on!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Going Clear: Scientology on HBO was really good and maddening and depressing. On the other hand, another season of Trailer Park Boys just came out on Netflix.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I had not heard of this show until I saw your post an hour and a half ago.

Thank you! It is top notch.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:
I had not heard of this show until I saw your post an hour and a half ago.

Thank you! It is top notch.
I really enjoy how they don't care about getting good takes or the actors nearly breaking character/laughing during the filming. Just adds to the whole thing.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Thank you. Watched the first two last night. I need more Triumph in my life.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote:Going Clear: Scientology on HBO
Can't wait to see this. Listening to the book right now, so I think I'll wait to finish the book. So far, just a very detailed biography of L. Ron's life and mental issues. By far the most thorough research on Hubbard I have read. Currently discussing his home remedies to treat his wives's pregnancy issues. He was successful 5 out of 7 times on his main wife. He used all the tried and true techniques; coat hangers and severe beating with a focus on kicks to the abdomen. No word on throwing her down the stairs, and it is unclear if he used the popular technique of douching with Lysol. Slightly less a benevolent figure than Jesus.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

EdRomero wrote:Going Clear: Scientology on HBO was really good and maddening and depressing. On the other hand, another season of Trailer Park Boys just came out on Netflix.
My wife and I watched Going Clear last night and were fascinated the whole time. It was strange before Hubbard died, but seemed to turn particularly nasty after that when Miscavage took over then (in what seems to always happens to people like that) became paranoid that someone was going to stab him in the back in the same way he rose to the top.

The whole celebration of winning the "war" against the IRS tells you right then and there that it's not a church and it was about the money.

I think my favorite part was when Paul Haggis said that when he read the "creation story" he thought it was a test and that if anyone believed it they were clearly insane and would be kicked out.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I knew nothing of Scientology after LRH died. I was pretty familiar with them prior, I had no idea they actually became a worse, sicker organization in the last two decades under this Miscavige dude.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've got about 20 more minutes to go, but have "enjoyed" what I've seen so far. I'd read the long article on Haggis from back in the late aughts when that came out. I've read a number of longform articles, so I'm not really finding a lot of "new" stuff in terms of the various details. But I've never seen/read this many former Scientologists coming out against the church as "Going Clear" seems to have gathered. That's pretty remarkable, given the history of how the cult deals with dissenters.

Couple of general observations:

Every. Single. One of the leadership are creepy, white males. And they all have that steely, dispassionate look of sociopaths.

It's nothing new, but it is absolutely hammered home in this film how incredibly shitty Tom Cruise is. He's a fucking psycho and now I'm annoyed I gave him money going to watch one of his movies. I think Travolta is shitty, but I somehow think he's been manipulated in a different way, whereas Cruise seems to feed off of the bullshit at a much higher level. Watching him receive those awards, on top of the batshit interview with him in the black turtleneck. Crazy as fuck.

And it's unbelievable what went down with the IRS. Very very hard to stomach.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:I knew nothing of Scientology after LRH died. I was pretty familiar with them prior, I had no idea they actually became a worse, sicker organization in the last two decades under this Miscavige dude.
Spoken like a former Scientologist.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Better Caul Saul, Justified and The Americans all had arguably their best episodes ever in back to back to back nights. Really is the golden age of television.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:Better Caul Saul, Justified and The Americans all had arguably their best episodes ever in back to back to back nights. Really is the golden age of television.
It really is. When producers and broadcasters (and writers) began to escape the standard format of shows, things became so much better.

In my mind (may be wrong) I credit Homicide for being just about the first show that really pushed the limits.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I may make my living as a writer, but I am not too fast to scream "plagiarism."

This idea probably occurred to a lot of comedy writers, but still... it's a bit close don't you think.

22 Minutes is a long running and usually toothless Canadian satire show.

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/telev ... 22-minutes

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I really liked seasons one and two of Inside Amy Shumer. Not incredible, but good for a couple of laughs per episode.

But they must have changed writers before this season - either that or they decided that most of the material should revolve around Amy Shumer's persona (which is getting more and more crass). That works on a sitcom, but not on a sketch show.

The first couple episodes this season were alright, but the last two have been pathetic.

Worst of all was an entire episode that took the premise (and tried to get the look) of Twelve Angry Men. A full half hour of the jurors debating whether or not Amy Shumer was fuckable enough to host a TV show. Worse than just being a lame concept, it was one of the most masturbatory pieces of TV I have ever seen.

And this week's episode was almost a parody of what made the show funny in the first place. Jokes about anal rape, a skit revolving around an old gay porno actor trying to make a commercial but ruining takes because he wanted to know when his ass was going to be split open and a skit that started out well (thanks to guest Bill Hader) but that ended with Amy Shumer being doused with a gallon of fake jism.

(Which actually sounds funny on paper).

As much crudeness and wit as a room full of drunken 16 year old boys.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Schumer annoys me. But I don't care for comics who use vulgarity as the act, not as an enhancer of the act. Louis ck curses and gets graphic, but it serves a point. It isn't the point.

That said milk milk lemonade made me chuckle.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt's crazy. That Late Night sketch was a fantastic skewering of the way young actresses portray themselves on the various Late Night shows.

(That said, I haven't seen her show this year, just several of the sketches online. All that I've seen have been great.)
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It just occurred to me earlier this week that I never watched the last three seasons of CYE. I don't think I even knew there were 8. I forgot how funny it was.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I thought the 12 Angry Men episode was hilarious.