Giff
The Dude

Re: 2013 NFL Draft

Post by Giff »

devilfluff wrote:
Giff wrote:
devilfluff wrote:Shit.
I, too, like the Texans' pick.
That was the hope deflating out of me after a extreme reach pick...

I like the Texans pick, though.
And that was me making fun of our new WR smearing feces all over his hotel room at the Combine.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Giff wrote:And that was me making fun of our new WR smearing feces all over his hotel room at the Combine.
He still denies it, and blames Mark Harrison...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Four Raiders #1 picks in the last ten years and the guy who went next...
2010: Rolando McLain (CJ Spiller)
2007: Jamarcus Russell (Calvin Johnson)
2005: Fabian Washington (Aaron Rodgers)
2004: Robert Gallery (Larry Fitzgerald)
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Four Raiders #1 picks in the last ten years and the guy who went next...
2010: Rolando McLain (CJ Spiller)
2007: Jamarcus Russell (Calvin Johnson)
2005: Fabian Washington (Aaron Rodgers)
2004: Robert Gallery (Larry Fitzgerald)
That could have been a solid core... Wasn't Jamarcus trying to make a comeback this year? I'm not ready to call him a bust. I saw some pictures of him recently, and at 315 pounds, he looked primed to light it up.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Yep, I watched a 12 minute puff piece on him last night. He's been working out with Jeff Garcia and trying to get his shit back together. They showed some video of him with his shirt off and he hardly looked like an NFL QB. In fact, he looked like he was barely fit enough to be an offensive lineman.
Popin' ain't easy
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I do not have to sit here and take this. My baseball team won.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

geno smith is getting unfavorably compared to marcus vick on the radio down here.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wait, that sounds like a good thing.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh, Jets. You're so awesome. The Lions front office sucks...but it could be worse.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I love the Ravens' Matt Elam and the Arthur Brown picks.
Last edited by bfj on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote:
Man, I hope the Jets end up with both Mark Sanchez and Black Mark Sanchez.
Fairy tales can come true
It can happen to you...
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Where's the Icepenis signal?

GARY BARBARO.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seriously thought he was going to say "Leon Sandcastle." So, close.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

...And Phoenix's weed dealers rejoice.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Oh, Jets. You're so awesome. The Lions front office sucks...but it could be worse.
Is Geno Smith that bad? Especially as a second round pick when so many supposed experts have him going in the first. Hell, looking at NFL.com's mock drafts. Mayock has him going at #6! I only saw highlights of him in the one game he threw for 7 or 8 TDs and 600 or 700 yards, so I think the guy is incredible. Other than that, I don't know shit about him, but if he fell to the second round and the Jets took him, he must suck. If he can challenge Sanchez, great. If he can get Tebow off the field in Wildcat plays, even better.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I, for one, am completely sick of ESPN shoehorning Matt Barkley into everything. He sucks. Move on. When he gets picked, he gets picked. Deal with it then.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
brian wrote:Oh, Jets. You're so awesome. The Lions front office sucks...but it could be worse.
Is Geno Smith that bad? Especially as a second round pick when so many supposed experts have him going in the first. Hell, looking at NFL.com's mock drafts. Mayock has him going at #6! I only saw highlights of him in the one game he threw for 7 or 8 TDs and 600 or 700 yards, so I think the guy is incredible. Other than that, I don't know shit about him, but if he fell to the second round and the Jets took him, he must suck. If he can challenge Sanchez, great. If he can get Tebow off the field in Wildcat plays, even better.
The reason I give to not draft Geno Smith is he went 0-3 against Syracuse and got smacked around in each game (a defensive struggle and a pair of routs where he padded his stats after things were mostly out of hand).

On a more serious note, he rolled up huge numbers against terrible teams and looked mediocre against good teams. He also was in a pass-heavy spread offense with two WRs who went in the first three rounds of this draft.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I hate the Cowboys draft. So hard.

On a more positive note, I wasn't expecting Duron Harmon's name to be called nearly so early...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Bengals drafted Ivan Drago in the 2nd round. 6'8" 277 pound Estonian. Who runs a 4.6 40. Fun.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

QB Landry Jones -- just drafted by the Steelers in the fourth round -- is only 10 months younger than Matt Stafford who has four years in the league and 12,000 passing yards in the NFL.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Georgia fans are a lot more sensitive to the needs of Steelers fans than are Oregon St fans.

And brian, I'm going to go ahead and take your lack of slagging on the Le'Veon Bell pick as positive.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

sancarlos wrote:I told my daughter that if she had been born a boy, we were going to name her Barkevious.
It would really be an awesome name . . . for a dog. Like, say, a Doberman.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:Georgia fans are a lot more sensitive to the needs of Steelers fans than are Oregon St fans.

And brian, I'm going to go ahead and take your lack of slagging on the Le'Veon Bell pick as positive.
No, I absolutely hate it. Not because he doesn't have talent, but he has a lot of tread on his tires. MSU ran him into the ground. The only good thing is he came out a year early or else Dantonio would have probably given him another 350 rushes this year.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:
rass wrote:Georgia fans are a lot more sensitive to the needs of Steelers fans than are Oregon St fans.

No, I absolutely hate it. Not because he doesn't have talent, but he has a lot of tread on his tires. MSU ran him into the ground. The only good thing is he came out a year early or else Dantonio would have probably given him another 350 rushes this year.
That's pretty much the consensus. Shit. Giving the shelf life of backs these days, maybe that's OK. But maybe they could have waited (though there was a run on RB, though they might have helped precipitate that run).
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Vikings done did good. but i'd prefer another qb. Ponder ain't my cup of tea, way too Jesusy. But he's got a hot wife so I guess I can last another season with him at qb.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Legarrette Blount might get first team carries for pats. All the more reason to recall the sucker punch. One of the cleanest shots ive seen in a football "fight."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Chris Kluwe's reaction when the Vikings drafted a punter in the 5th round (A quote from Dodgeball):
That's a bold move Cotton. Lets see how it plays.
So are the Vikes getting tired of him being so outspoken? Isn't he good?
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Mel's draft day grades

Link
mini puke to 1,558
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Awesome, Kranepool. Thanks for posting.
Popin' ain't easy
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

brian wrote:
Johnny Hotcakes wrote:One of my best friends is a Lions season ticketholder and him and his pals are furious. Not sure why the national media loves it so much. 5th overall is far too early for an extremely raw player with very limited college production (even if he is admittedly a physical freak). At least that's this asshole's opinion.
Yeah, no one I know likes the pick. If the Lions were picking later in the first round I wouldn't have had any issue with it -- he could absolutely develop into a beast -- but #5 was way too early. Though I guess at least they didn't trade up to reach like the Dolphins did.
Adjusting for the fact that the Lions weren't picking in their usual top two slots, and that it was a weak draft year, this was my favorite draft of the past 10 or so years.

Ansah is obviously a gamble. But highly rated players are all less certain to make it than is typically understood. Ansah's risk is simply more salient. The rest of the draft was a better fit to their needs, and had fewer stretches than in past years. Nice draft at first glance, for whatever good that is. But added to a nice free agent off-season, the Lions appear quite a bit better.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well, at least the defending champs didn't have the best draft, amirite? Or the three teams in my teams division have markedly better drafts, amirite?

I kept looking for Browns picks on the bottom line and they just weren't there. I know they got a couple for next year, but is there any reason to think the middle of next year's draft will be better than this year? The top will be better, but the middle is almost inelastic in terms of talent. I don't mind the addition of Bess, but I am underwhelemed overall.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:Where's the Icepenis signal?

GARY BARBARO.

Been in Austin for a few days. Just checked this thread.

I agree with Detroit peoples on Ansah, he never really dominated on full-game film. I also don't know how I'd get back out there if I were DJ Hayden - how he handles this mentally will be more telling than his talent level.

Would have preferred Justin Hunter to Jones, but I don't care about Jones's 40-time. He was productive as hell. I just am higher on Jason Worilds than pretty much anybody.

Star Lotulelei should become beastly, I think. The Panthers got a steal because he had a virus recently. He dominates on tape. Just throws people around.

Da'Rick Rogers going undrafted blows my mind. He's Anquan Boldin with a taste for weed. If he puts down the weed, he'll kill it.

I only got up to about 275 lbs on the bench while racing to 315. It was a slow, unending race, and it was 4 years ago. Now I mayyyy be able to do 225 once. Maybe.

Alec Ogletree couldn't find the ballcarrier with a map. I think he'll suck in the NFL.

FIN

And no, that is not Fins Up.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:Well, at least the defending champs didn't have the best draft, amirite? Or the three teams in my teams division have markedly better drafts, amirite?

I kept looking for Browns picks on the bottom line and they just weren't there. I know they got a couple for next year, but is there any reason to think the middle of next year's draft will be better than this year? The top will be better, but the middle is almost inelastic in terms of talent. I don't mind the addition of Bess, but I am underwhelemed overall.

I think Mingo was too much of a project for a Browns team picking 6th, but, as is the caveat with draft talk, whothefuckknows for 2-3 years.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Icepenis wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Well, at least the defending champs didn't have the best draft, amirite? Or the three teams in my teams division have markedly better drafts, amirite?

I think Mingo was too much of a project for a Browns team picking 6th, but, as is the caveat with draft talk, whothefuckknows for 2-3 years.
I wouldn't have minded Millner in that spot one bit.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The only thing that gives me hope about Ansah (other than his freakish measurables) is that the Lions do have a very simple playbook for DL. Gunther Cunningham half-jokingly has said the playbook for all of the DL is three words -- "Attack the quarterback." Ansah will be lined up in the 9 about 98 percent of the time his rookie year and just asked to get to the QB, though he'll obviously be going up against some great LTs. I still don't like the pick, but I do feel better about his long-term prospects. I just don't think they're going to get much of anything out of him in 2013. Maybe the next GM and coach will reap the rewards.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

They might want to modify it for Suh to include "except when the running back has the ball".
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Rams seem to have had a pretty good couple days. I still disagree with moving up to take Austin, but looking at their draft as a whole I get it. I wish they had taken Vaccaro when they moved up. I just don't think a 5'8" slot receiver was the biggest need and he'll have to be every bit the playmaker claimed to justify the pick. Getting the OL from Alabama in the 4th was brilliant. Fisher drafted very well last year getting 3.5 starters (RB Richardson split time w/SJ) out of it so if he pulled off the same haul this year we'll be in good shape.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:Chris Kluwe's reaction when the Vikings drafted a punter in the 5th round (A quote from Dodgeball):
That's a bold move Cotton. Lets see how it plays.
So are the Vikes getting tired of him being so outspoken? Isn't he good?

Not particularly. And the new guy is probably cheaper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rams Fanny wrote:Rams seem to have had a pretty good couple days. I still disagree with moving up to take Austin, but looking at their draft as a whole I get it. I wish they had taken Vaccaro when they moved up. I just don't think a 5'8" slot receiver was the biggest need and he'll have to be every bit the playmaker claimed to justify the pick. Getting the OL from Alabama in the 4th was brilliant. Fisher drafted very well last year getting 3.5 starters (RB Richardson split time w/SJ) out of it so if he pulled off the same haul this year we'll be in good shape.

If he's as good as I think he'll be, you won't care how tall he is when he's turning hitches into 70 yard TDs.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

brian wrote:The only thing that gives me hope about Ansah (other than his freakish measurables) is that the Lions do have a very simple playbook for DL. Gunther Cunningham half-jokingly has said the playbook for all of the DL is three words -- "Attack the quarterback." Ansah will be lined up in the 9 about 98 percent of the time his rookie year and just asked to get to the QB, though he'll obviously be going up against some great LTs. I still don't like the pick, but I do feel better about his long-term prospects. I just don't think they're going to get much of anything out of him in 2013. Maybe the next GM and coach will reap the rewards.
What do you think they should have done with that pick?