Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by howard test2 »

Ruth Ann Steinhagen, dead at age of 83. Natural causes, pun intended. Of course you have heard of her.

Woman portrayed in baseball movie 'The Natural' dies in obscurity at 83
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Gunpowder »

Obscurity, FL sounds like it should exist.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

A judge determined she was insane and committed her to a mental hospital. She was released three years later, after doctors determined she had regained her sanity.
3 years for pre-meditated murder? Yeah, so not guilty by reason of insanity.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Apparently she could have been tried after she regained her sanity, but Waitkus declined to press charges.

It sounds like she made it the rest of her life without shooting anyone, so this was probably a case where temporary insanity really was responsible.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Chinua Achebe

Snippet from article:

Chinua Achebe, the internationally celebrated Nigerian author, statesman and dissident who gave literary birth to modern Africa with Things Fall Apart, has died. He was 82.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

For all the middle-aged lawyers in the Swamp:

Anthony Lewis
Popin' ain't easy
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

For all the middle-aged hockey fans in the Swamp:

Wayne Fleming
Popin' ain't easy
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:For all the middle-aged hockey fans in the Swamp:

Wayne Fleming
Excellent obit. Y'know, I always thought Flem would have been a perfect Canada World Junior team coach. That honor, of course, goes strictly to CHL guys. But Fleming would have been a welcome exception.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Ron Lancaster Jr? Anybody?
Popin' ain't easy
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Christina Amphlett.

You know what she sang but you don't know who she is.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"I Touch Myself" singer getting and dying of breast cancer? C'mon, that has to be ironic right?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:Christina Amphlett.

You know what she sang but you don't know who she is.
I saw the Divinyls at a small club in Denver in the mid-80's. This was before their big hit, but they were getting some indie radio play. One of the funnier concert moments I've seen - some guys in the front row were going nuts and bothering her through the set. So, when they came back out for the encore, Chrissy Amphlett was carrying a huge pitcher of water, and immediately dumped on the heads of those guys, right before the band kicked in.

Last edited by sancarlos on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

brian wrote:"I Touch Myself" singer getting and dying of breast cancer? C'mon, that has to be ironic right?
Yes. But still no reason not to touch oneself.
mini puke to 1,558
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'll have to pour one out the next time I perform my go to karaoke song.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Freedom, freedom

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Allan Arbus.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... dies-at-95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sad. Interesting that he only appeared in about a dozen episodes. Always seemed like it was more than that. I also had no idea he was that old.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I thought some of the best episodes were the ones featuring Sidney Freedman. Well, him and/or Colonel Flagg.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

ZMan wrote:I thought some of the best episodes were the ones featuring Sidney Freedman. Well, him and/or Colonel Flagg.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall one episode with both of them, and it was hilarious.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
ZMan wrote:I thought some of the best episodes were the ones featuring Sidney Freedman. Well, him and/or Colonel Flagg.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall one episode with both of them, and it was hilarious.
They were in a couple of episodes together. One was called "Deal Me Out", in which Ed Winter played an intelligence officer, but his name wasn't Col. Flagg. Then there was a second episode about the bomber pilot who claimed to be Jesus Christ, and in that episode, Col. Flagg and Sidney are in at least two scenes together.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote:Allan Arbus.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... dies-at-95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sad. Interesting that he only appeared in about a dozen episodes. Always seemed like it was more than that. I also had no idea he was that old.
"Everyone, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice"
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Phil Ramone died on March 30. Wow. Guy was second to none.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:The Tim Tebow Era in NY.
About Damned time. But is the Tebow era in the NFL over? Probably, right? So that means the Jets are stuck with the cap hit? WTF were they thinking signing him? I still say this was all on Woody Johnson, since the coaches never even put plays in place for him. Whatever,at least he is gone. I was just in Modell's (sporting goods store) the other day laughing at the enormous stock of Tebow Shirseys on clearance, too. I'm tempted to buy one now.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

The Sybian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:The Tim Tebow Era in NY.
About Damned time. But is the Tebow era in the NFL over? Probably, right? So that means the Jets are stuck with the cap hit? WTF were they thinking signing him? I still say this was all on Woody Johnson, since the coaches never even put plays in place for him. Whatever,at least he is gone. I was just in Modell's (sporting goods store) the other day laughing at the enormous stock of Tebow Shirseys on clearance, too. I'm tempted to buy one now.
I can't see why any sane team would sign him as a QB, and I think Jacksonville has already said they're not interested.

Lots of chatter up here about whether he would succeed in the CFL or not. On one had mobile running quarterbacks can dominate this league, but on the other hand, with the wider field and predominant passing game, inaccurate throwers flame out quickly. (personally I think he could throw 8 screens a game, run 22 times and win a lot of games, but damn watching him try to throw on those giant open prairie fields would be hilarious).
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

travzilla wrote:Lots of chatter up here about whether he would succeed in the CFL or not. On one had mobile running quarterbacks can dominate this league, but on the other hand, with the wider field and predominant passing game, inaccurate throwers flame out quickly. (personally I think he could throw 8 screens a game, run 22 times and win a lot of games, but damn watching him try to throw on those giant open prairie fields would be hilarious).
There's been American quarterbacks with far less credentials than Tebow that have come to play in the CFL. Sean Salisbury comes to mind (and he won a Grey Cup for your team).

Over tea this morning, I read an article about Tebow's being released in the CSM. LINK HERE.

This bit stood out:

Tebow was attending all of the Jets’ optional workouts before being cut. He spent the offseason in Florida working on his throwing mechanics, and he showed up to minicamp 12 pounds lighter, according to the Jets.

I wouldn't be surprised if a CFL team went after a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback, two-time BCS National Champion, etc, who is still only 25-years old. He'll have to tame-down the Christianity (this being Canada) but there are a few teams in Canada that need help at quarterback; that would include BC and Montreal (located in the most religious Canadian province) and anyone else with aging QBs on the way out, like, say Hamilton (Henry Burris will be 38 this summer).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

His CFL rights are already controlled by the Alouettes.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

brian wrote:His CFL rights are already controlled by the Alouettes.
Didn't know that. But that's another team with a dinosaur of a quarterback, Anthony Calvillo, who is at least 40-years old.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

By the way, how does a CFL team end up with the negotiating rights (first held by Hamilton, now Montreal, in the case of Tebow) for an NFL player? He was never drafted, not even in a last-round last-pick "we'll take Vladislav Tretiak, just in case" sort of way.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Scottie wrote:By the way, how does a CFL team end up with the negotiating rights (first held by Hamilton, now Montreal, in the case of Tebow) for an NFL player? He was never drafted, not even in a last-round last-pick "we'll take Vladislav Tretiak, just in case" sort of way.
Oh, I have no idea about that. Was kinda hoping you or travzilla or another Canadian might know actually. I was just reporting what I saw in a couple of stories about his future options.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I have no idea. And in all my years I've never heard it mentioned on a CFL broadcast or any print media.

So let's say the NFL has 1500+ players on active rosters. And let's say there are a few thousand players considered free agents not currently on rosters. What I don't get is how CFL "negotiating rights" are regulated. That's hundreds and hundreds of players' rights for each CFL team.

In the case of Tebow, his negotiating rights were held by a CFL team while he was still active on an NFL roster. So it's not just player negotiating rights for guys that are free agents. Nah, I have no idea how that works.

ETA: There's probably no shortage of NFL players that would be surprised to learn that any CFL team owns their negotiating rights.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

From an SBNation article in 2010:
I'll guarantee this now: Tebow will not play a down in the Canadian Football League. The negotiation list serves in place of a draft for American college football players, and it's generally a poorly-handled publicity stunt. Putting Tebow on their list is about as likely to bring him to Montreal as the Brevard Blue Ducks drafting LeBron James was to send the King to the USBL.
Besides, the Alouettes already have a Florida quarterback whose talents have not translated to the pros. And Chris Leak is their third-stringer. Why would Tebow cross the border to repeat his freshman year?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

That's incorrect. For example, have a look at the 2012 CFL draft:

http://www.cfl.ca/canadian_draft/list?year=2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

. . . there's certainly no shortage of US College players. And if it is supposedly "a poorly-handled publicity stunt" it's kind of odd that I've never heard of it, year after year. Not much of a publicity stunt. And it hardly serves in place of a "US" draft. In fact, none of that seems correct at all.

My guess is this: The CFL permits teams to have about half their players non-Canadian ("imports") in order to keep the league "Canadian", as it were. Those imports are inevitably Americans. Post-draft, those teams have max'd out on player "ownership" limits so the negotiation rights are a way of extending player ownership without having to actually enter into a contract with them. But, damn, that still makes for potentially a staggering number of players whose negotiation rights have to be determined. Maybe there's a limit on the amount of players a team can have with that status. That would make sense.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Scottie wrote:That's incorrect. For example, have a look at the 2012 CFL draft:

http://www.cfl.ca/canadian_draft/list?year=2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

. . . there's certainly no shortage of US College players. And if it is supposedly "a poorly-handled publicity stunt" it's kind of odd that I've never heard of it, year after year. Not much of a publicity stunt. And it hardly serves in place of a "US" draft. In fact, none of that seems correct at all.

My guess is this: The CFL permits teams to have about half their players non-Canadian ("imports") in order to keep the league "Canadian", as it were. Those imports are inevitably Americans. Post-draft, those teams have max'd out on player "ownership" limits so the negotiation rights are a way of extending player ownership without having to actually enter into a contract with them. But, damn, that still makes for potentially a staggering number of players whose negotiation rights have to be determined. Maybe there's a limit on the amount of players a team can have with that status. That would make sense.
I think the draft applies only to "import" players, whatever those are.
2.What is a CFL team's neg list or negotiation list? How does the neg list work in the CFL? Where can I get a CFL team's negotiation list?
In the CFL each team has a negotiation list, or neg list, consisting of 35 players they have exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with. The regulations surrounding negotiation lists are defined in Section 3 of the CFL By-laws. As the CFL conducts its College Draft for non-import (primarily Canadians) players only, the negotiation lists serve as a way of acquiring player rights for import players (though non-drafted non-imports can be placed on neg lists as well). Players who qualify as CFL veterans (have appeared on a game roster, reserve list or injury list for seven games) are not allowed to be placed on a neg list. Veteran players are free agents and able to negotiate with any team when their contract has expired or they have been released and cleared waivers.

Teams place players on their neg lists on a first come, first serve basis. It is estimated 75% of players do not know they are on a CFL team's neg list. The lists change frequently and additions/deletions are published by the league to the teams daily. Teams must follow rules to negotiate in good faith. Players can notify the league of the negotiation window and if a contract offer is not received within 10 days, the player is removed from the team's neg list. If a fair contract offer is received, but rejected, the player is removed from the list one year from the offer date.

Just like a draft limits competition for new players, the neg list does the same. However, rather than hold an import draft annually the negotiation list system provides much greater flexibility in adding and removing players as information changes through the year. The system seems to be well liked by CFL general managers and there does not seem to be any desire to change it or make it more open.

The CFL's negotiation lists are secret, shared amongst teams and the league office only and are not public. From time to time media reports will name additions and deletions to negotiations lists, but complete lists are held private among the CFL head office and member clubs.
http://cfldb.ca/faq/rosters/#what-is-a-cfl-neg-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I figure the guys who wrote that are Canadian, so they're not capable of lying.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brad "the Animal" Lesley.

He was rather colorful in his brief stint with the Reds.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Whoa, my sister hooked up with him back in high school. He was at a sleepaway baseball clinic at UC Davis, she was a local girl.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Chris Kelly of Kris Kross fame found dead in his Atlanta home.

Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bensell wrote:Chris Kelly of Kris Kross fame found dead in his Atlanta home.
Not the time for a joke, NBC Altanta.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman and partially blamed on a spider bite
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... ist-was-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote:
Bensell wrote:Chris Kelly of Kris Kross fame found dead in his Atlanta home.
Not the time for a joke, NBC Altanta.
I missed the joke, what was it?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.