Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
Giff wrote:Wilco tonight! DMB next month. Then second kid and no concerts ever again for me.
Bullshit. Get your ass out there. I'm on kid #3, and concert #3 of 8, of the spring is next Tuesday. Wilco in Orlando.
I know, I know!

13th anniversary of the release of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...wonder if the setlist will be heavy off that album.
They're billing it as a "20th anniversary" tour so if anything I'm thinking they might try to draw equally from all of their albums.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Mr. C
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mr. C »

Jack White to play in Rapid City tonight. I gotta go stand in line for a couple hours.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Neutral Milk Hotel was amazing last night. Just so great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Sufjan Stevens last night. The guy is just so incredibly talented. What an amazing show. He played all of his new, amazing "Carrie and Lowell" album. Just pouring out the anger/heart-ache/confusion/sadness in every song. When he did talk to the audience, it was almost like he was apologizing for playing such depressing songs. He said "I'll play some older songs....the happy, strummy ones that are also about death".

Oh, and he also told a funny story about being inspired by a recent viewing of "Bring it on again".

Great great show. Highly recommended.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Billy Joel is playing Bonaroo?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Billy Joel is playing Bonaroo?
That's the latest trend in mega-festivals. Lionel Richie headlined our festival here in Las Vegas last year and Stevie Wonder is this year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you take the cool of Lionel Richie and the popular of Billy Joel, you get Stevie Wonder.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm insanely psyched to see Stevie Wonder in a festival setting, even if the rest of the lineup is pretty blah for the most part.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also really regretting not saying "fuck it" and going to Eaux Claires in July seeing as how Bon Iver, The National, Sufjan and Spoon are headlining.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Also really regretting not saying "fuck it" and going to Eaux Claires in July seeing as how Bon Iver, The National, Sufjan and Spoon are headlining.
You and me both, brother.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Last week I saw alt-country musician Robbie Fulks play with Redd Volkaert, former guitarist with Merle Haggard and other country icons. Fulks writes 'em good. And he's quite a guitar player; lots of bluegrass roots showing.

Volkaert is a monster tele picker. With more space than he would get if he was in a full band and backing up a headlining country singer, Volkaert made full use of his massive repertoire of hot county licks. Here's a clip from the show.

A country classic, with some fine picking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjmTkLBw_Io

Not from the show I was at, but my favorite Robbie Fulks tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU0A_utlljc

Fulks is known for his twisted quasi-covers and 'theme shows' at his regular Chicago gig. This one blends the Monkees with Thelonious Monk. Who knew?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlxjxhXJHMI
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I typically don't hate on bands. If I don't like 'em, I don't like 'em and move on. I don't feel the need to inform fans of those bands that I think they suck. I think my years as a DMB fan and having to hear the repeated opinions of the haters as to how much they hate them made the that way. I make two exceptions to this:

Red Hot Chili Peppers. They are offensively awful. Just trash music that makes my blood boil just hearing one note. I'd rather attend a Bill O'Reilly lecture than share the same arena as any of those fucks.

The other is Dawes. Just really stupid fucking songs filled with lyrics so shallow that their composer finds profound. I've given them so many chances because they're liked by people who like the same music I do or they're connected to those groups either through touring or those groups flat out liking them. I tried watching their ACL TV performance and the look he gave the crowd after one of his shitty lines was like "that was fucking deep, right?" and I just deleted it immediately then threw my remote. He reminds me of some dumbfuck philosophy major at a state school.
I want a little bit of everything
The biscuits and the beans
Whatever helps me to forget about
The things that brought me to my knees

So pile on those mashed potatoes
And an extra chicken wing
I'm having a little bit of everything
Fucking seriously? Anyway, imagine my surprise when I didn't hate their latest single. Then I tried their new album on Spotify and found myself singing along halfway through a tune I'd never heard before. WTF is happening. Anyway, they're playing a SiriusXM-sponsored show at a small club here Tuesday and I won tickets. Taking my buddy who shares the same disdain for them, but going in with open mind.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not that I'm a super fan or anything, but I enjoy enough random RHCP songs to dignify you with a(nymore of a) response on that.

I think I like Dawes, too. I heard a recording of a show from Houston on Sirius this afternoon that I assume was the one you saw (were going to see). I enjoyed it until they covered one of my favorite songs and totally over-Dawes'd it.

I did chuckle (really!) when they played your favorite song a little later in the set.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Did Langhorne Slim open for Dawes at the show you saw? He's on tour with them.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gary Clark Jr put on a great show in Toronto last night.

You like guitar work, you've got to go see him.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing a bunch of posts from the new Niners Stadium and the "Grateful Dead" show last night.

Ok...I'm sure it was a fun show and all that, but that's not the Grateful Dead. Its guys who were in the Grateful Dead, along with some other guys sitting in.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

They resisted using the name for nearly 20 years, I give them some credit for that.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:They resisted using the name for nearly 20 years, I give them some credit for that.
Right. And they're doing it now for what are literally (?) their final shows ever. Pass granted.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Meh.

Guess they need the money for their grandchildren's college, but today I saw two commemorative magazines about the Dead on the drug store magazine rack. No offence to the Deadheads in the crowd, but that simply epitomized everything I hate about the way boomers hold the late 60s and early 70s in such high regard.

The Dead may have meaning to a lot of people, but this comeback makes them a commodity - every bit as meaningful as the Who. Everything from that era has been repackaged so many times that its original meaning is long, long gone.

Sorry to be so cynical.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: The Dead may have meaning to a lot of people, but this comeback makes them a commodity - every bit as meaningful as the Who. Everything from that era has been repackaged so many times that its original meaning is long, long gone.

Sorry to be so cynical.
It's not a comeback. It's a celebration of the bands 50 years together and the last time that they are going to play together. I also don't think they are actually billed as The Grateful Dead. It's Fare The Well a celebration of 50 years of the Grateful Dead.

They've all been playing in various bands since Jerry passed, but only a handful with the 4 surviving members and none of these were billed as the Grateful Dead.

Plus Walton is enjoying it.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:Not that I'm a super fan or anything, but I enjoy enough random RHCP songs to dignify you with a(nymore of a) response on that.

I think I like Dawes, too. I heard a recording of a show from Houston on Sirius this afternoon that I assume was the one you saw (were going to see). I enjoyed it until they covered one of my favorite songs and totally over-Dawes'd it.

I did chuckle (really!) when they played your favorite song a little later in the set.
That was it. It was a special show for Sirius subscribers, so it was just them. No opener. They put on a great show, especially with Duane Betts on guitar. Spoke with the lead singer beforehand and managed not to give out some back-handed compliment.

Did get into it a little with a phone Nazi. I was texting by brother in-law who had just tried to call me to wish my daughter a happy birthday. This lady comes up to me with the whole "live in the moment, man, stay off your phone and enjoy life!" bullshit. I just give her a look and make a show of getting back on my phone. She turns around, I put my phone in my pocket, and see her start doing the same thing to a guy who was taking a picture. He wasn't as nice as I was.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Tonight: Akil! Zaakir! Marc 7! DJ Nu-Mark! Chali 2na! Cut Chemist! Jurassic 5!!!!

3rd time seeing them. Super excited...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jurassic 5 was, once again, totally cool. Super loud though...more from the crowd than the band itself though. Very fun show.

The opener, local rapper named Donte Peace, sucked balls.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Archers of Loaf was so great Friday night. They were note for note, as good as they ever were.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rush2112 wrote:They've all been playing in various bands since Jerry passed, but only a handful with the 4 surviving members and none of these were billed as the Grateful Dead.

Plus Walton is enjoying it.
I don't begrudge the GD alums in the slightest for this event, even if their true motivation is 80+% cashing in while they still can. But I never bought the image of the Dead as a significantly less commercial entity than their peers. A bit less, for awhile, is as far as I'd go.

The Walton sighting is very cool.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Point 1) NWA is considering a reunion tour and what would be its first tour since 1995.
Point 2) They are also considering having Eminem fill in for Eazy-E.

I honestly, really truly can't decide if either or both of those points are either awesome or horrifying. This is really, really weird.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Tried to get tickets to see sturgill simpson at that ryman but they sold out three shows in about ten minutes each.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote:Tried to get tickets to see sturgill simpson at that ryman but they sold out three shows in about ten minutes each.
Seeing him here in Seattle in November. The GF asked "Do we need to wear cowboy boots?". I explained that he's not that kind of Country music.

Got tix last night to see My Morning Jacket and Strand of Oaks in October. Should be cool.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got some free tickets to see Lucinda Williams tonight. Got an extra if anyone can make it to Vegas in 6.5 hours.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At Jason Isbell show in Reno tonight. Apparently Patterson Hood joined him and the 400 Unit on stage for the encore last night in Portland for some DBT songs. (Hood lives in PDX now.) Guessing I won't get that lucky tonight.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dawes just finished their set opening for Isbell and yeah. I'm not a fan. Like an Americana version of Supertramp.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

Fucking love. Awesome awesome awesome.

Dude.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I didn't like that nearly as much as the other stuff you posted by them.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Langhorne tonight. Great show, new band (electric guitar rather than the past banjo player of the past.) Mostly the last two albums. Fantastic.

He was hanging at the merch booth after, spoke with him for a bit. Great guy.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He really is friendly, isn't he? Such a showman too.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw a fun (and free!) show tonight. On the roof of the Pike Place Market (right about the famous spot where they throw the fish)....an all-start line up of Mike McCready (Pearl Jam, Mad Season), Duff McKagan (Guns n’ Roses, Velvet Revolver), Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees, Tuatara), and Mark Arm (Mudhoney)...playing songs from The Stooge's "Raw Power" album. Put on by KEXP, as a fund raiser for their new studio (the bars and restaurants with the prime views were doing VIP parties for those that shelled out the big bucks.

I don't think my kids were too psyched up, but I thought it was a blast...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DaveInSeattle wrote:...playing songs from The Stooge's "Raw Power" album.

Well, you ain't got time to make no apologies.

(Daddy, detonate for me)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Saw a fun (and free!) show tonight. On the roof of the Pike Place Market (right about the famous spot where they throw the fish)....an all-start line up of Mike McCready (Pearl Jam, Mad Season), Duff McKagan (Guns n’ Roses, Velvet Revolver), Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees, Tuatara), and Mark Arm (Mudhoney)...playing songs from The Stooge's "Raw Power" album. Put on by KEXP, as a fund raiser for their new studio (the bars and restaurants with the prime views were doing VIP parties for those that shelled out the big bucks.

Awesome. And your kids will be seen as very cool someday in a dorm to be named later for having been there. Flashing forward:

"Hey, that tune is rad dude. What is it?"

"That's an Iggy Pop bootleg from when he was in Berlin."

"Yo, I heard from one of the seniors that he was like the rock stars' rock star, light-years ahead, paving the way."

"Well, I started really digging Iggy when I was 10, and these Seattle guys from ...."

"Sweet. I was digging One Direction at that age."

"Lame bro. But, yeah, me too. And Harry Styles ruled."

[bong passed]

"It was my dad who got me into Iggy. After he got back from moving to Australia and doing a lot of big ocean sailing. Great white sharks, you know."

"Man, my dad was a CPA who wouldn't even take me to a One Direction tribute band show."

"Dude, my dad used to take away my comics because they used swear words. We lived like the Amish, except in El Cerrito."

"Do you think we could, like, meet your dad, so we could, like, say we once met a cool one?"

"Yeah, right. He could be like a role model for us. So we are not complete losers when we have kids."

[bong passed]

"Lame losers."

"Right bro."

"Loserest"

"I'll text him. But he's kind of busy. He works with super-powerful computers, trying to solve some of the greatest mysteries in human health so they can cure millions of people who are doomed to a painful death today."

"Oh yeah. I'll sell my XBox to pay for his plane ticket."

"I'll sell my skateboard and the cord to my iPhone 14."

"Can we, like, establish a religion based on, you know, worshiping your dad?"

"I think he'd have to approve that first. But at least you could submit his visit to the provost to get credit for an independent study credit."

"Dude."

[bong passed]
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

h/t
The homophobic, anti-semitic morons of Westboro Baptist Church were protesting outside the Foo Fighters' Kansas City concert on Friday, so the Foo Fighters drove by in a pickup truck and rickrolled them.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Lived like the Amish
Except in El Cerrito

That should be in a song

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…