Twitter

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Scottie
Donny

Twitter

Post by Scottie »

I do believe this is the first parody account of a Swamper (or at least onceuponatime Swamper):

@FakeRosenbergs
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
testuser2
Brandt

Re: Twitter

Post by testuser2 »

@SeppBlatter https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_ ... tweetembed

So what if I took money from Qatari prince? I am the family's bread earner
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Scottie wrote:@FakeRosenbergs
"The profile you are trying to view has been suspended. To return to your home timeline, click here."

Well, dammit.
mini puke to 1,558
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

kranepool wrote:
Scottie wrote:@FakeRosenbergs
"The profile you are trying to view has been suspended. To return to your home timeline, click here."

Well, dammit.

Must have got cunt punted.
Popin' ain't easy
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

News article from Bloomberg:

U.S. Stocks Recover After Report of White House Bomb Said False By Michael P. Regan

April 23 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks recovered after benchmark indexes briefly erased their gains in a matter of minutes following a post on Twitter from the Associated Press saying there had been explosions at the White House. The AP said their Twitter account had been hacked and there was no explosion.

The S&P 500 was up 1 percent at 1,578.42 at 1:17 p.m. in New York after briefly dipping as low as 1,563. An AP White House correspondent said in a post on Twitter that the news
agency’s account had been hacked and there was no explosion. For Related News and Information:
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Fake explosion at the white house tweet is worth 15 S+P points.

Good to know.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Fake explosion at the white house tweet is worth 15 S+P points.

Good to know.
Well, I think that is mostly attributable to how quickly they debunked the false information. If it hung out there much longer...
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

About two hours ago, Nathan Fielder (@nathanfielder) tweeted:

Experiment: text your parents "got 2 grams for $40" and then right afterwards text "Sorry, ignore that txt. Not for you." Then tweet pic of their response.

He then RT'ed some of the best responses. Some great stuff right there.
Popin' ain't easy
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

That's hilarious
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Tennbengal is having a nice Twitter fight with Lance McAlister, who's one of the Cincy sports talk radio hosts. They're arguing over Jack Hannahan of all people.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Buster Olney responded (very nicely) to my (rhetorical) question last week. This made me feel bad.

Because I hate Buster Olney.

I only hope that I'm not alone in the hatefollowing game.
mini puke to 1,558
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

kranepool wrote:Buster Olney responded (very nicely) to my (rhetorical) question last week. This made me feel bad.

Because I hate Buster Olney.

I only hope that I'm not alone in the hatefollowing game.
I met Buster Olney a few years ago at an event at my school (first Tom Wolfe Weekend Seminar--also included Tom Wolfe, Michael Lewis, & Sandy Alderson). He is a very down to earth person and just loves baseball. He sat with a bunch of the younger folks at the event and just talked baseball, told stories, asked questions about us for hours after the days sessions had ended.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

NCAA bans hash tags from football fields.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Is Twitter/Tweetbot down for anyone else?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

BuffloSoldier wrote:Is Twitter/Tweetbot down for anyone else?
Yes. It's a mess at the moment.

This is likely the result of those "Anonymous" kids being humiliated when their Moms, after doing their laundry, step down to the basement and ask why there are 184 unmatched socks.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Alright. Didn't know when I posted, but it's on all platforms for me at this point.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Seems to be restored now. I just posted a (typically silly) test Tweet. Went up right away.

Z, ah, c'mon. That bad, eh?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

@BillSimmons wrote:"Radwanska! Bartoli!!!!! It's the Wimbledon Women's Finals on NBC!"
@NBCSports wrote:The final is on ESPN. RT @BillSimmons "Radwanska! Bartoli!!!!! It's the Wimbledon Women's Finals on NBC!"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's funny.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Whoever is controlling the Chipotle Twitter account is struggling.

https://twitter.com/ChipotleTweets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Hey Steve (@swampersteve)

Your twitter account was hacked. If it wasn't...No, I don't care that Dr. Oz showed you how to lose fat.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

ZMan wrote:Hey Steve (@swampersteve)

Your twitter account was hacked. If it wasn't...No, I don't care that Dr. Oz showed you how to lose fat.
Hopefully I fixed that ... but I wish Dr. Oz really would show me how to lose fat.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Speaking of Twitter . . . the @sportsfrog account is effectively inactive (three tweets in all of 2013, two of which are directly to someone else, one of which is a general tweet). I believe garyclark has the password for that account? Can anyone get in touch with him so he can hand over the password to one of us that will use it on a daily basis? That would be to tweet subject lines of Swamp threads with appropriate hashtags and such; idiosyncratic Swampish news items and whatever. That account has been idle since quite a while before this board switched back to phpBB. And yet there probably is no better way to attract people.

Maybe we can split that account between two or three Swampers in different time zones? I would think that Bronto and I would be logical choices given that we have large Twitter followings and use that site frequently. If he'd even want it. Fritz comes to mind as well. Anyone interested?

Or we can just give up on that account and start a new one?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's a good idea. We kinda complain about the lack of new blood, but that would be a way to maybe get some new people around here -- for better or worse.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The only real restrictions for anyone using the account would be to refrain from potential inflammatory use of "@sportsfrog". In other words, and this is stating the obvious, only use the account as a vehicle of the Swamp as a whole, to give it a non-partisan voice in Twitterlandia; no subject matter that would turn people against us or attract whackjobs. In a nutshell, don't use it to bitch about the government or rave about how great jihads are.

Keep it jovial, pleasant, informative, attractive, a worthy external face of the forum.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Scottie, after I went in to change my password to avoid the Dr Oz problem, I checked on the apps that are allowed to access my account. Right now, the only three are iOS Twitter Integration, Twitter for iPad, and Twitter for iPhone. Since I frequently use Twitter from my phone and ipad, I figured I should continue allowing those apps access.

Is that a mistake? Is there a way for me to conveniently access Twitter from my phone etc., without allowing that access?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

You should be fine, Steve. The thing about those account hacks is that they are typically a one time thing. "Someone posted a nekkid picture of you on Facebook! Click this link to a Russian pr0n site to find out more!" Or weight loss, or stiffy pills or any of the usual suspects.

Two of the most common ways they infiltrate Twitter is by simply guessing a password using a generator (or actually hacking the account) or by a trojan, or semi-trojan, that sends direct messages (not tweets) to everyone that follows you. These are common with 3rd-party apps that people allow access to their account. The worst offenders seem to be those "who unfollowed me?" apps that scan through your list of following/followers and spit back a report that so-and-so unfollowed you on such-and-such a date. But if access is granted to that sort of bot (and it is nothing less than a bot), one takes the chance that the account will be exploited into appearing to be a spam vehicle.

Another thing that can happen is an app considered reliable (Tweetdeck, for example) can be compromised on their end and when a user checks into that app they propagate the exploit. Once again, that is almost always 3rd-party apps. Giving access to any automated software (Tweet_This_Photo, Search_For_Similar_Users, Tie_Twitter_To_Something_Else, sort of stuff) means you are giving access to a script (or scripts) that are on a mission; they aren't doing it because they love the internet, they want to use you.

The accesses that you are granting right now are all to actual/authentic Twitter apps. Those will not cause you any problems. You should be good to go.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Thanks.

The password I use for Twitter would not be that hard to figure out if anyone wanted to. I save those for the stuff that matters, like bank accounts.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

You're welcome.

This, below, is just an aside (for anyone who cares for a bit more babbling on the subject) and is mostly stating the obvious again . . .

Another exploit I didn't mention can happen when allowing a browser or app to save username/password combinations for sites. Some malicious scripts can snag those from the browser (or operating system). Letting a browser store passwords is convenient, sure, but it is an exploit waiting to happen. Phone app hacks are getting more frequent at a staggering rate. In other words, you don't have to be presently/recently using a site to have the password stolen.

Twitter doesn't seem to have a maximum length for passwords. So you could technically have a 500 or 1000 character password if you wanted. That doesn't mean that Twitter (or Facebook or Linkedin or whatever) are not truncating it down to the first 16 or 20 characters. But it does allow for a decent degree of complexity, hence somewhat better security.

20 characters is nice. And it doesn't have to be something that strains the brain every time one wants to use it like "sdg&563k#57&3GG0302%" would. A 10-letter word and a 10-digit phone number are both easy to remember (they don't have to be actual words or phone numbers) and are easily combined in some fashion. The longer and less common your password is, the safer you'll be. Sorry for pointing out something so obvious but it's not a bad idea to be reminded of that now and then.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

"Asking for a friend."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

How drunk, Dr. Phil?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Today's my 15th anniversary so I'm pretty sure I'll be having sex with a drunk girl tonight.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:Today's my 15th anniversary so I'm pretty sure I'll be having sex with a drunk girl tonight.
Don't let your wife find out.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Today's my 15th anniversary so I'm pretty sure I'll be having sex with a drunk girl tonight.
Don't let your wife find out.

That's her present to him.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Scottie wrote:You're welcome.

This, below, is just an aside (for anyone who cares for a bit more babbling on the subject) and is mostly stating the obvious again . . .

Another exploit I didn't mention can happen when allowing a browser or app to save username/password combinations for sites. Some malicious scripts can snag those from the browser (or operating system). Letting a browser store passwords is convenient, sure, but it is an exploit waiting to happen. Phone app hacks are getting more frequent at a staggering rate. In other words, you don't have to be presently/recently using a site to have the password stolen.
I recently heard about a security method for PCs of using a thumb drive to store username/PW combinations on a Word document. Plug in the drive, copy the relevant information from the Word doc, paste it into the proper blank space on the web site and you're in. All without typing the username/PW that can be stolen by keyloggers. Further, the drive and/or the word doc can be put behind its own PW. What do you think of this as a security method for sensitive financial accounts (e.g., banks, brokerages)?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

That is an increased level (user-action) of security, for sure. And that would be particularly prudent on a public computer; anything shared, such as a library or an office where various people can use various machines. Or when using a shared wireless network.

It is a very good idea. I'd take that even one step further. Instead of copying and pasting the username/password, I'd highlight them and drag/drop the highlighted text into the text fields. Typically, keyloggers will track not merely keystrokes but may also track information stored on the clipboard as well. And if a keylogger tracks mouse movement, dragging/dropping will only reveal that something was dragged and dropped but not the substance itself.

Providing yourself an extra level of security is always a very smart move. And that one that you describe is excellent.

Also, when using a public computer, always wipe out the cache(s) when you are done. Always. One program that will do that for you is CCleaner. You can also carry that program around on a thumbdrive to run or install it on the fly. If you find yourself on a machine with restricted permissions, where you can't run a program like CCleaner or even look at the caches let alone clean them, you shouldn't be using sensitive information on that machine in the first place.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

So . . . does anyone know how to get in touch with GaryClark?

And (if we ever do get in touch with him), anyone else interested in manning the account? Ideally, it should have at least two, preferably three, holders.