Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DaveInSeattle »

There's a big comedy festival going on this week here in town. Lots of performers. I got taken last weekend to see an Aussie guy by some mates. It was ok...not sidesplitting funny, but decent. I think I missed about 1/4 of the jokes, due to them being rather Aussie-centric.

Last night I went to a "Headliner" show. I saw:

1-Pete Holmes. I was already familiar with him, since I listen to his "You made it weird" podcast pretty regularly. I liked him. Good stuff.

2-Michael Che. Had never heard of him, but liked him quite a bit. He had a funny bit interacting with the crowd, trying to figure out what an insult for someone in Australia, along the lines of the N-word, would be. He was told "WOG", and when he was told that it stood for "Welcome Overseas Guests", he just stopped and went "Really? That's a fucking insult?".

3-Eddie Pepitone. I don't know....he didn't do it for me. Kind of an old school comic. Rough edges. Had some funny bits, but didn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the audience. Lots of shouting.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Eddie Pepitone gets a pass for this:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AussieDave wrote:
3-Eddie Pepitone. I don't know....he didn't do it for me. Kind of an old school comic. Rough edges. Had some funny bits, but didn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the audience. Lots of shouting.
He has done a couple of live WTFs, and I agree with you. I find him irritating. He actually seems more genuinely pathetic than funny.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Did anyone watch Kristin Schaal's special on Monday night?

What a trainwreck. I really like her too but that was the most ill conceived concept for a stand up show ever. The first half is someone funny and then you pretend to bomb the second half and it becomes bad sketch comedy? Like watching a slow motion car wreck that one was.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The little girl on Kristen Schall's show was hilarious.

But even her male partner was just going through the motions on "Kristen Schall's a Horse" (which is funny when done right).

I'm a big fan of her, but I have to agree. I would've preferred her just reading lines from Bob's Burgers.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

howard wrote:I'm a big fan of her, but I have to agree. I would've preferred her just reading lines from Bob's Burgers.
That show is getting funnier and funnier.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Hey Dave, if you get a chance to see Eddie Ifft live, don't miss him. I've heard him on a few podcasts and I've heard a few of his live bits and he's pretty damn funny. He is very popular in Australia.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
temporary howard
Jackie Treehorn

Comedy or Television or Whatever

Post by temporary howard »

Anyone seen the Patton Oswald awesome thing? If you are a Star Wars, Marvel and/or Parks and Rec fan, ya gotta see this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... s/2090931/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I did...it's fucking fantastic.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The discretion by the director there to not cut him off was fantastic.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:The discretion by the director there to not cut him off was fantastic.

Finally watched this tonight. Exactly AB. Fantastic.

And credit to Poehler for her interjections.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerrod Carmichael has an HBO standup special sometime soon and, as someone who has seen over 3 or 4 standups in my life, I can say its going to be really good.

(I don't like standup comedy, but I saw him open for Aziz and he was close to infinity times funnier. Good dry, occasionally uncomfortable humor.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
1-Pete Holmes. I was already familiar with him, since I listen to his "You made it weird" podcast pretty regularly. I liked him. Good stuff.
Can't stand his laugh. but yeah, he is funny. The x-men and batman skits on his show were hilarious. He's just not a good interviewer, that laugh kills it every time. I listen to a ton of Nerdist podcasts, tried 'you made it weird' a few times, but like i said, i wanted to punch him in the throat because he laughed so much. I think that's why they canceled his tv show. If it was just skits, he'd be fine, cause he's a funny dude. But half the show was horse laugh Harry interviews.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I finally watched Carmichael's standup and didn't love it. He went from willing to offend when I saw him to trying to offend in the special. Tosh-ish.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Saw Kathleen Madigan when she came through Baltimore a week ago - really good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Went and saw a Doug Benson show....one of his 4:20 shows....and it was great. Guy just has a super low key style where it makes it seem like he's not doing "bits", but just rambling and talking with the crowd.

As we were walking out my GirlFriend said "Its great how he acts like he was kinda stoned during the whole show". I had to explained how he wasn't acting, and he wasn't kinda stoned.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So have been introducing my son to comedians via Spotify. The challenge is finding comedians that don't work in the blue. Any suggestions?

We have done Abbott & Costello, Jim Gaffigan, Bill Cosby, and some Steve Wright. Have done a bit of Seinfeld but it does not really work for his age. Thinking that I probably can go to Jeff Foxworthy, but not sure the southern culture thing will click.
spongelikeninja
Jackie Treehorn

Post by spongelikeninja »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So have been introducing my son to comedians via Spotify. The challenge is finding comedians that don't work in the blue. Any suggestions?

We have done Abbott & Costello, Jim Gaffigan, Bill Cosby, and some Steve Wright. Have done a bit of Seinfeld but it does not really work for his age. Thinking that I probably can go to Jeff Foxworthy, but not sure the southern culture thing will click.
Try Brian Regan. My son loved him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you have an hour and twenty to kill, here's Bill Burr's latest:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

spongelikeninja wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:So have been introducing my son to comedians via Spotify. The challenge is finding comedians that don't work in the blue. Any suggestions?

Try Brian Regan. My son loved him.
THE BIG YELLOW ONE'S THE SUN!

one of the best clean comics out there.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

How old is your son? My son decided he wants to be a comedian, and has a book of jokes he writes. Some of them actually make sense, too. Regan was the first name that popped into my head. Might want to try some Dice, the nursery rhymes should go over well. Completely forgot about this, but an older kid in my hood copied a Dice tape for me when I was too young to fully get. My parents overheard me singing a nursery rhyme and asked to listen to the tape. They laughed their assess off, and I never saw the tape again.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I always liked Ellen Degeneres's standup.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Louie Anderson is a pretty good "clean" comic. I wholeheartedly agree on Regan... that's who popped into my head first. I took my kids to see him last year and it was cool to see the mix of adults and kids in the crowd.

One way to find lots of clean comics is to look at Regan's tour schedule and look at his opening acts. Gaffigan is another guy to look at.

A lot of Jim Carrey's stuff is clean, as is Robin Williams. But their acts have a lot of visual stuff that likely wouldn't translate to Spotify all that well.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Louie Anderson is a pretty good "clean" comic. I wholeheartedly agree on Regan... that's who popped into my head first. I took my kids to see him last year and it was cool to see the mix of adults and kids in the crowd.

One way to find lots of clean comics is to look at Regan's tour schedule and look at his opening acts. Gaffigan is another guy to look at.

A lot of Jim Carrey's stuff is clean, as is Robin Williams. But their acts have a lot of visual stuff that likely wouldn't translate to Spotify all that well.
I wouldn't say much of Williams' stuff is clean.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

There was an old - like early 80's - George Carlin stand up special on HBO a few nights ago. My 15 year old daughter lasted 5 minutes.

But on the positive side, she is reading Amy Poehler's book.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

wlu_lax6 wrote:The challenge is finding comedians that don't work in the blue. Any suggestions?
Bobby. Heenan.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Louie Anderson is a pretty good "clean" comic. I wholeheartedly agree on Regan... that's who popped into my head first. I took my kids to see him last year and it was cool to see the mix of adults and kids in the crowd.

I wouldn't say much of Williams' stuff is clean.
Yeah, you're probably right. My mom let me watch SNL in the 70s... I was born in 70. (In other words, not many filters for me, so my recollection of what is appropriate from back in the 80s might be off.)

But I definitely stand by Regan and Anderson.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Comics I love (like in sex ways) who do not yet have specials (well maybe they do, but, you know, they aren't that famous yet):

Dave Ross
Josh Sneed
Mo Alexander

Dave Ross is especially funny. Starting to make a name for himself.

I saw Josh Sneed open for Mitch Hedburg a few months before Mitch died. Pretty great show.

Mo is from Memphis. He is fat and funny. Really friendly guy.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Weatherfrog wrote:Comics I love (like in sex ways) who do not yet have specials (well maybe they do, but, you know, they aren't that famous yet):

Dave Ross
Josh Sneed
Mo Alexander

Dave Ross is especially funny. Starting to make a name for himself.

I saw Josh Sneed open for Mitch Hedburg a few months before Mitch died. Pretty great show.

Mo is from Memphis. He is fat and funny. Really friendly guy.
Dave Ross used to cohost a podcast on Nerdist called The Sex Nerd or something. The podcast was middling, but interesting. Dave really made it listenable and funny. I think he and the girl had a falling out and she booted him from the show. All I could imagine is that you spend 70 or 80 hours talking about sex with a girl (who looks to be pretty attractive) and you either gotta get the poison out or pack your shit and move on.

Anyway he is funny. Not clean, but funny.

Has anyone mentioned The Sklar Brothers? I like the way they tend to play off each other.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Was Tim Allen's standup kid friendly? Seems like he would be a good one for my 8 year old
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DC's Jimi Hendrix video led me to this bit of awesomeness:

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

More tales of white privilege:

Yours and these two skits are what I refer (white) people to when they talk about race in a negative context and say that white privilege doesn't exist. It so fucking does. And not in the Bill O'Reilly bullshit "It's really ASIAN privilege!"

EDIT:

Of course, Dave Chappelle is telling a very elaborative story in pitch perfect comedic perfection, but the main point is you can talk to officers as a white dude in certain instances where black people normally couldn't.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This made people laugh in the last couple days:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Too good:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I did rant about a few bad episodes, but the Amy Schumer I watched last night made me spit out liquids.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Saw Patton Oswalt's latest stand-up in DC about a month ago - was fantastic.

Saw Kathleen Madigan before that in Baltimore - also outstanding.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Too good:

The whole skit was good, but Bill Nye's swearing really sealed it for me.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Too good:

The whole skit was good, but Bill Nye's swearing really sealed it for me.
Yeah, me too. I didn't expect that. He's awesome.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sweet cameo by Abby and Iliana too.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Took my son to see Jim Gaffigan at Wolftrap on Wed night. What a great time. Good seats on the lawn, friendly people, and pretty easy getting out after the sellout show. The opening act was probably as good as Gaffigan, Ted Alexandro. I think he just was working a bit harder to make sure he connected. Has a 10 episode web series with lots of guest comedians called Teacher's Lounge (Gaffigan, Norton, and Attell where my favorite episodes)