The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote:The one Radler I've had was Stiegl. It is quite good. Half grapefruit soda, half beer. It's very refreshing in the summer. The only Shandy I've had was Leinenkugel, and I couldn't finish my first sip. Just a horrendous drink.

It won't take much wife capital to go though, as she loves this place, and it is semi kid friendly.
Yes, it's worth going.

The Love Child No. 5, if anyone likes sours, is absolutely top notch. I have two bottles left of it and am trying to figure out when I want to drink them.

The Saison-Brett is insanely good this year as well. I think I have about seven bottles of that left (thanks, fitness conference!)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Russian River has $3.50 pints on Sunday. Note to self - book a room nearby next time.

Picked up a 12 pack of 510mL bottles and a growler of PtE for the rest of our trip.

Smyrna- never saw a line outside of Manayunk Brewing before. Much less like Sunday at Russian River.
oh shit...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rheinguist hustle rye iPa excellent. Had baseball imprint. They are out of Cincinnati.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

In fact I've had three of their beers in last week and all have been above average. Having a zen now. Strong.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:The one Radler I've had was Stiegl. It is quite good. Half grapefruit soda, half beer. It's very refreshing in the summer. The only Shandy I've had was Leinenkugel, and I couldn't finish my first sip. Just a horrendous drink.

It won't take much wife capital to go though, as she loves this place, and it is semi kid friendly.
Yes, it's worth going.

The Love Child No. 5, if anyone likes sours, is absolutely top notch. I have two bottles left of it and am trying to figure out when I want to drink them.

The Saison-Brett is insanely good this year as well. I think I have about seven bottles of that left (thanks, fitness conference!)
Picked up a bottle of the Saison-Brett a couple weeks ago. I've never had anything with brett before, so I am really curious to try it. Boulevard's Tank 7, which is the base for the Saison-Brett, is fantastic. I'm not a big saison fan normally, but Tank 7 is really fucking good. Maybe I can make that my lawnmower beer.

ETA: Tank 7 is 8.5%, may need to rethink the lawnmower tag.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Yes, it's worth going.

Picked up a bottle of the Saison-Brett a couple weeks ago. I've never had anything with brett before, so I am really curious to try it. Boulevard's Tank 7, which is the base for the Saison-Brett, is fantastic. I'm not a big saison fan normally, but Tank 7 is really fucking good. Maybe I can make that my lawnmower beer.

Missed the event. Thanks for the tips though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Yes, it's worth going.

Brett has a distinct taste. I'd describe it as an earthy funk, in the good way, like blue cheeses or offal.

It can be overwhelming sometime, though.

BTW, gose does not taste like sweat. The Westbrook offering is probably the best widely available option, and sadly, not available in NJ.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

devilfluff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Yes, it's worth going.

Brett has a distinct taste. I'd describe it as an earthy funk, in the good way, like blue cheeses or offal.

It can be overwhelming sometime, though.

BTW, gose does not taste like sweat. The Westbrook offering is probably the best widely available option, and sadly, not available in NJ.
It's not overwhelming in the Boulevard SB. I know you said you're not a saison fan, Syb, but if you can find the Spring Belle, I think it's worth a try. That's a good lawnmower beer.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: It's not overwhelming in the Boulevard SB. I know you said you're not a saison fan, Syb, but if you can find the Spring Belle, I think it's worth a try. That's a good lawnmower beer.
Never seen it, but Boulevard just arrived here in the past 6 months or so. I'm seeing a lot more Boulevard options now, so maybe it will eventually make its way out here. They seem to have a lot of seasonal and limited releases. I looked it up: "chamomile, rose petals, and elderflower." No thanks. I hate rose petals/rose water. It's an ingredient in a lot of Indian deserts, and it tastes like shampoo. Not a fan of chamomile. No idea what elderflower tastes like.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:No idea what elderflower tastes like.
Not a witch?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Also hit up Half Moon Bay brewing and Highway 1 brewing (under new management). Trying to fit in Cellarmaker before the flight home on Saturday night.

Finally getting into some of the PtE 510mL bottles I bought at the brewery.

Going to try to mail home whatever I don't drink. Liquid Yeast Samples are legal to ship cross state lines, right?
oh shit...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

teeteebee wrote:Also hit up Half Moon Bay brewing and Highway 1 brewing (under new management). Trying to fit in Cellarmaker before the flight home on Saturday night.

Finally getting into some of the PtE 510mL bottles I bought at the brewery.

Going to try to mail home whatever I don't drink. Liquid Yeast Samples are legal to ship cross state lines, right?
Can't fit it into your checked luggage?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA is kind of nice - smooth and easy for a strong ale.

There are better local IPAs, but this one goes well with barbecuing and avoiding the family.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I like the rebel a lot. The Rouser DIPA is solid too, but not a fan of the Rider.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

We don't get too many of the Sam Adams beers up here - the Lager is a perennial at the government run liquor monopoly... but everyone Ive tried has been, at the very least, pretty tasty.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They get a bad rap because their owner is a pouty narcissist and most of their beers are mediocre, but the Rebel is solid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They have them now in cans down here now, which I love. It's my go-to choice at places without a big craft beer selection.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Westbrook's Mexican Cake was really good but the bomber size made it rough when Missus D decided it wasn't her thing. 12 would have been enough.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Clown Shoes Crasher in the Rye. It's their Undead Party Crasher oatmeal milk stout aged in a mix of rye and bourbon barrels. I was skeptical of a whiskey/milk stout combo, but this is a fucking great beer. The oats and spiciness from the rye go together incredibly well.The lactose and bourbon sweetness are held in check. Extremely smooth, you don't taste the 11.5% or any whisky burn at all. I usually don't like whiskey barrel aged beers fresh, but this is definitely ready to drink now.

-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Found Prairie Bomb at a liquor store in KS on the way to friends on Saturday night for $2 cheaper a bottle than I can get it at the liquor store near me. Score.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Had a Grapefruit Sculpin the other day. Very nice but more grapefruit than IPA. I prefer the Breakfast from Denver's own Strange Brewing.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

One of the best things about Canada is Unibroue.

One of the original craft brewers up here. I have had the good fortune of drinking many of their brews, but I may have found the greatest of them all.

As the name suggests, this really may be a "gift from God."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:Had a Grapefruit Sculpin the other day. Very nice but more grapefruit than IPA. I prefer the Breakfast from Denver's own Strange Brewing.
I love Sculpin, but wasn't a fan of Grapefruit Sculpin. IIRC, they add actual grapefruit juice to the brew, which was overkill. It wasn't bad, but the added juice took away from the beer IMO. I do like citrusy IPAs, though.

Love Unibroue. Just bought a Maudite yesterday. I bought a sampler pack a few years back, and can't remember what my favorite was. It was either Trois Pistoles or Don de Dieue.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:One of the best things about Canada is Unibroue.

One of the original craft brewers up here. I have had the good fortune of drinking many of their brews, but I may have found the greatest of them all.
THat would be their 2004 Annual. That beer was stellar. (I am a big fan of the Terrible and the 17th Anniversary as well.)
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Big fan of grapefruit sculpin. I'm a big fan of grapefruit so that may be why.

UPS delivered my bottles of Pliny the Elder today. No casualties.

It's Philly Beer Week this week. Wanted to hit a Maine Brewing Co event on Sunday but I had parental duties to attend to. Probably going to a local place tomorrow for a Ballast Point/Green Flash event.

As for Maine Brewing, I'm trying to work an angle to get Lunch and Dinner. Might be able to score.

Anyone has Lunch or Dinner? Any other Maine Brewing to recommend?

Btw, Tired Hands opened their new outlet, Fermenteria, recently. Haven't been there yet but it's on the list.
oh shit...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I thought that Philly got PtE? Or at least to. Colorado and the Philly markets being the only places you could get RR outside of Cali.

I like PtE, but think Blind Pig is better, and think that Russian River sours are waaaay better than their IPAs.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Rush2112 wrote:I thought that Philly got PtE? Or at least to. Colorado and the Philly markets being the only places you could get RR outside of Cali.

I like PtE, but think Blind Pig is better, and think that Russian River sours are waaaay better than their IPAs.
RR gets here. Have had Blind Pig at Monk's in center city as well as at the Russian River tap room. Definitely like it a lot. Prior to visiting the tap room, I only had PtE at the Sierra Beer Camp event in Philly last year. Still haven't had PtY.

Had Supplication in a bottle bought at the local Whole Foods. I'm not a sour guy so I didn't like it. Gave away my other two bottles.

I bought a twelve pack of bottles at the tap room and sent home what I didn't drink. Bottles of PtE don't make their way out this way and forget about getting a growler filled.
oh shit...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Blind Pig is currently around here, PtE is on tap usually at a few places. PtY is here about a week after release in Santa Rosa. I went once, but not worth the $$ or the lines.

The sours are here every 6 weeks or so. I go to SF once a year so just get them there instead.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nothing wrong with creative and goofy beer names, but there's a brewer north of Toronto that makes fine, fine beers.

But seriously...

Worth buying, but hide the label.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

teeteebee wrote:Big fan of grapefruit sculpin. I'm a big fan of grapefruit so that may be why.

UPS delivered my bottles of Pliny the Elder today. No casualties.

It's Philly Beer Week this week. Wanted to hit a Maine Brewing Co event on Sunday but I had parental duties to attend to. Probably going to a local place tomorrow for a Ballast Point/Green Flash event.

As for Maine Brewing, I'm trying to work an angle to get Lunch and Dinner. Might be able to score.

Anyone has Lunch or Dinner? Any other Maine Brewing to recommend?

Btw, Tired Hands opened their new outlet, Fermenteria, recently. Haven't been there yet but it's on the list.
Lunch & Dinner are both excellent. I actually like their other IPA, Another One, better than Lunch.

Frankly, 077XX is good enough that I don't need to stalk IPA's anymore.

The Fermenteria is nice. Food is spendy, and doesn't have quite the atmosphere as the Brewcafe, though. Loads bigger. Loads.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:

THat would be their 2004 Annual. That beer was stellar. (I am a big fan of the Terrible and the 17th Anniversary as well.)
Had never seen it before - liquor store had a bunch of the big bottles. Haven't seen Terrible in a while, but Fin Du Monde and the lovely Blanche de Chambly are staples.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fermenteria is dope, although it felt like there was zero connection to the brewpub other than name.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:

Had never seen it before - liquor store had a bunch of the big bottles. Haven't seen Terrible in a while, but Fin Du Monde and the lovely Blanche de Chambly are staples.
We get most here in CO, aside from the Canada only brews, though the Fin Du Monde is always old and gets a buttery taste, meh.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Rush2112 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:

We get most here in CO, aside from the Canada only brews, though the Fin Du Monde is always old and gets a buttery taste, meh.
I've never noticed diacetyl in Unibroue's offerings.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Enjoy By 6 packs is a cool thing.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

If y'all like radlers, I can heartily recommend the ginger lemon radler from Boulevard. Holy crap is it good. No fake sweetness in it at all (like with the Summer Shandy from Leinenkugel's, etc)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Westbrook's Mexican Cake was really good but the bomber size made it rough when Missus D decided it wasn't her thing. 12 would have been enough.
Until now, I thought Cheddah posted this. Where did you find it? I found it today at The Filling Station in Chelsea Market. If any of you are in NYC, Chelsea Market is a great place to get a meal or any food related items. The Filling Station has taps and sells growlers and 16oz jars. You can drink it in the market and return the jar for a $2 refund, or keep it. The best part about the jar with a dark black beer, it looked like coffee. I bought it for the road, and walked the streets with the family openly sipping away. The beer was amazing. Cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon and habaneros in a strong Imperial Stout. This is probably the first time I actually liked a beer with hot peppers in it. The habanero was a slight tingle and taste that crept in at the end.

I had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker this weekend. Great beer, but probably would have been better with a little less bitterness. Fitting name, as I couldn't follow it up with any other beer.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
mister d wrote:Westbrook's Mexican Cake was really good but the bomber size made it rough when Missus D decided it wasn't her thing. 12 would have been enough.
Until now, I thought Cheddah posted this. Where did you find it? I found it today at The Filling Station in Chelsea Market. If any of you are in NYC, Chelsea Market is a great place to get a meal or any food related items. The Filling Station has taps and sells growlers and 16oz jars. You can drink it in the market and return the jar for a $2 refund, or keep it. The best part about the jar with a dark black beer, it looked like coffee. I bought it for the road, and walked the streets with the family openly sipping away. The beer was amazing. Cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon and habaneros in a strong Imperial Stout. This is probably the first time I actually liked a beer with hot peppers in it. The habanero was a slight tingle and taste that crept in at the end.

I had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker this weekend. Great beer, but probably would have been better with a little less bitterness. Fitting name, as I couldn't follow it up with any other beer.
It's working.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Half Time in Poughkeepsie.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Half Time in Poughkeepsie.
Interesting. I was trying to hunt it down online, but I saw there were only 2 distributors in NY State, and everything else was in the South. Next time your wife doesn't like a beer, I'll come over and drink her half.
-Pruitt