Unbelievable...If I was the Coach

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Unbelievable...If I was the Coach

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I would lose my mind. I would cut everyone of the kids, write to the colleges that they were going to, and ask that they return anything with the team name on it.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... NlYwNzcg--" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Unbelievable...If I was the Coach

Post by howard »

The true shame of that story, the game is scheduled for 11am. But somehow, manicure, makeup and hair appointments…
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I would cut everyone of the kids...
That seems unnecessarily cruel. The seniors who chose this over prom are done so you can't cut them. You're going to cut the underclassmen that had nothing to do with it and were in fact screwed from it?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It is a shame, such selfish girls. But, I'm amused at the vitriol wlu worked up over it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Why couldn't they just move the game?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:It is a shame, such selfish girls. But, I'm amused at the vitriol wlu worked up over it.
RESPECT THE GAME
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote:
That seems unnecessarily cruel. The seniors who chose this over prom are done so you can't cut them. You're going to cut the underclassmen that had nothing to do with it and were in fact screwed from it?
I only meant the kids who voted to not play. Basically not award them their varsity letters.

My senior year we had an away game the afternoon of our prom. We lost to a team we should have beaten (missing the playoffs), but there was never a question of if we were going to play or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I can totally understand the girls making that decision if it was going to obliterate their prom. But 11 a.m.?? Even if the game was hours away, they're still getting home by mid-afternoon. That's a baffling decision and I have to think there's something else going on there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote:It is a shame, such selfish girls. But, I'm amused at the vitriol wlu worked up over it.
I have always played for coaches and teams where you just prioritize the team ahead of yourself. I tried to duck out of lunch after my bar mitvah to make a soccer game (family veto'd that plan), but I made a point of letting my teammates know they should not post for lunch. My first year in college, I did not go to my sister's college graduation because of a game (and I did not get much playing time that year).

My junior year of high school a handful of got a chance to go to the U.S.S.R. on an exchange program (back when Jeans were big currency and toilet paper was a premium). They only missed practices because of it but cost 3 of them their role as captain on the team and a goalie his starting spot.

My mom is still upset that we drove back from Pittsburgh on Sunday morning instead of spending another day with her so that I could make a playoff lacrosse game for my men's competitive club team.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I had a tennis match the day of my prom and the kid from Mount ended playing out of his skull of course so it ended up being one of those crazy long 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 matches. I didn't get off the court until 5:45, had to drive home to Johnston, then to Burrilville to pick up GF and then back down to Newport for the prom. Burrilville and Newport are like as far away as two things can be from each other in RI (which is like and hour). I was like almost two hours late.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Why couldn't they just move the game?
From the LA Times article:
Agoura Coach Steve Omlor said he spent more than 10 hours on the phone trying to get lacrosse officials to change the date of the final. They refused.
Nonlinear FC wrote:I can totally understand the girls making that decision if it was going to obliterate their prom. But 11 a.m.?? Even if the game was hours away, they're still getting home by mid-afternoon. That's a baffling decision and I have to think there's something else going on there.
Someone in the comments of the Y! article said the game location was an hour from the prom location. That's in ideal traffic, and I was sort of expecting howard to come in and give us a lesson in LA commuting. The same commenter claims the team that did play did not get back until 3PM. Seems like the original team could have made a go of it, but who knows.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:I had a tennis match the day of my prom and the kid from Mount ended playing out of his skull of course so it ended up being one of those crazy long 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 matches. I didn't get off the court until 5:45, had to drive home to Johnston, then to Burrilville to pick up GF and then back down to Newport for the prom. Burrilville and Newport are like as far away as two things can be from each other in RI (which is like and hour). I was like almost two hours late.
That was a text book humblebrag, right?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I skipped the championship lacrosse match my senior year to try and bang the nerdy hottie in some stupid glee club.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Wlu, would you have the same level of reaction for the story if it was a softball team? My guess is no.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote:My mom is still upset that we drove back from Pittsburgh on Sunday morning instead of spending another day with her so that I could make a playoff lacrosse game for my men's competitive club team.
I find this weird.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can I get a do-over on any previous comments? I want to joke that if Wlu was the coach, this would end up getting him fired for sending a note out to all of his girls that they're cute.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I had a tennis match the day of my prom and the kid from Mount ended playing out of his skull of course so it ended up being one of those crazy long 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 matches. I didn't get off the court until 5:45, had to drive home to Johnston, then to Burrilville to pick up GF and then back down to Newport for the prom. Burrilville and Newport are like as far away as two things can be from each other in RI (which is like and hour). I was like almost two hours late.
Was it? I don't think so. My former tennis career isn't really a secret here.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:
rass wrote:
Played out of his skull and...didn't beat you.

I know you played tennis, I guess I don't know at what level.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brontoburglar wrote:Wlu, would you have the same level of reaction for the story if it was a softball team? My guess is no.
Sport agnostic on this one. Actually activity agnostic. When you make a commitment to others you do it. My daughter takes ballet, She was sick for the show this year and it crusher her not to be able to perform. I tried to figure out a way to let her go right before she was on, dance, and then leave, but the studio decided it would upset the other parents if my contagious daughter got their kids sick.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

can't we let promzillas be?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Sport agnostic on this one. Actually activity agnostic. When you make a commitment to others you do it. My daughter takes ballet, She was sick for the show this year and it crusher her not to be able to perform. I tried to figure out a way to let her go right before she was on, dance, and then leave, but the studio decided it would upset the other parents if my contagious daughter got their kids sick.
But ... you left your mom ...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm with wlu on this one. If you commit to a team, you show up to the games and practices. Playoff games especially. I'm having a hard time understanding girls who had practiced and played all year to get to that point just deciding to quit so they have all day to get their hair did. Makes me wonder if the team didn't have other problems.

BTW, I blame the parents as well. Yes, these are young women at this point, but sometimes they need guidance. You don't just let down your teammates and coaches that way.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
rass wrote:

Did I say he didn't beat me?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The fact that he played out of his skull to send it to three sets means you probably thought you should handle him more easily.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:
rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
rass wrote:

Did I say he didn't beat me?
No, no you didn't.

But, yes A_B.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Though it's your own fault being late for prom by not dispatching him 1 and 1 in the manner in which he deserved.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Sport agnostic on this one. Actually activity agnostic. When you make a commitment to others you do it. My daughter takes ballet, She was sick for the show this year and it crusher her not to be able to perform. I tried to figure out a way to let her go right before she was on, dance, and then leave, but the studio decided it would upset the other parents if my contagious daughter got their kids sick.
But ... you left your mom ...
She knew the situation when we agreed to visit Pittsburgh that weekend. She was not happy about it, but knew the deal.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:Someone in the comments of the Y! article said the game location was an hour from the prom location. That's in ideal traffic, and I was sort of expecting howard to come in and give us a lesson in LA commuting. The same commenter claims the team that did play did not get back until 3PM. Seems like the original team could have made a go of it, but who knows.
I looked at all three schools. The team that did play was not much farther away than Agoura. The 405 sucks on weekends, too, so the 3pm return arrival sounds right for a game that started at 11am.

Whoops, I'm not howard.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
rass wrote:Someone in the comments of the Y! article said the game location was an hour from the prom location. That's in ideal traffic, and I was sort of expecting howard to come in and give us a lesson in LA commuting. The same commenter claims the team that did play did not get back until 3PM. Seems like the original team could have made a go of it, but who knows.
I looked at all three schools. The team that did play was not much farther away than Agoura. The 405 sucks on weekends, too, so the 3pm return arrival sounds right for a game that started at 11am.

Whoops, I'm not howard.
When I want an informed opinion of LA traffic, I'd rather it be from a New Yorker, thankyouverymuch. (there's actually two different ways to take that and they're both funny, IMO.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote:I'm with wlu on this one. If you commit to a team, you show up to the games and practices. Playoff games especially. I'm having a hard time understanding girls who had practiced and played all year to get to that point just deciding to quit so they have all day to get their hair did. Makes me wonder if the team didn't have other problems.

BTW, I blame the parents as well. Yes, these are young women at this point, but sometimes they need guidance. You don't just let down your teammates and coaches that way.

This is what I was getting at... Think about all of the girls not going to prom. Tha Fuck? I would be LIVID if a bunch of my teammates pulled that...

And I also agree wholeheartedly with the commitment thing. It's really bad form by the parents to allow this type of horseshit.

Again, though, it makes me think there was friction with the coach, or some major drama with cliques on the team centered around class (junior v senior).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Except I bet every one of them would have told you before the season they'd pick their prom over a game and, when they committed to the team, there was no game on prom day.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote:

Whoops, I'm not howard.
That's for sure.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Except I bet every one of them would have told you before the season they'd pick their prom over a game and, when they committed to the team, there was no game on prom day.
I agree with this.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
That seems unnecessarily cruel.
Why? Permanent disfigurement fits the crime.

The equation here is completely different for girls than boys. Prom is a huge event for girls, they dream about this shit for years. Most guys don't give a fuck about prom. OTOH, guys tend to care a hell of a lot more about sports accomplishments than girls do. Girls take all day to get ready for proms, getting their hair professional done up, makeup and whatever the fuck else girls do to get ready. Although these are lacrosse girls, so they just need to slap on some deodorant and a hair band.

I missed one intramural roller hockey playoff game in college, and I still hear about it. Earlier that year, I drove back from Ann Arbor to Buffalo overnight to make a Sunday morning game. Drove about 5 hours while coming down from my first shroom high, pulled into my driveway with an hour to take a shower and get dressed. As I pull in, my 2 housemates who played on my team come out with all their gear, and mine, get in my car saying "perfect timing." I didn't realize it was daylights saving day, so it was an hour later than I thought.

Sidenote, driving on the QEW in Canada between Michigan and Buffalo is mind numbingly horrific. Completely flat and straight, no change in scenery, and worse with a blinding orange sunrise directly in your face.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:I skipped the championship lacrosse match my senior year to try and bang the nerdy hottie in some stupid glee club.
Hey, I saw that movie!
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Sybian wrote: Completely flat and straight, no change in scenery, and worse with a blinding orange sunrise directly in your face.
I'm sure the shroom hangover amplified that effect.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I am as anti-prom as they get. Back in the day, I loved the scene in Carrie where the prom was blown to hell. My only regret was that the footage wasn't from my pretentious high school.

I also believe that much of teen sports is complete and total bullshit, in an infinite number of ways. It's not clear to me that more good is done than harm, in general. Many teams are wildly dysfunctional and damaging.

While I'd love to go overboard in judging this particular case, in order to further ventilate these easy targets, in truth I think this is most likely just another cheap journalistic story where most of the relevant facts are probably not included. They include potential for:

- irrevocable commitments of kids to (absurd, loathsome) appointments for prom prep and activities
- valid resentment of kids towards underclass team-mates, coach, and/or league officials for unspecified reasons (e.g., this could be a protest)
- parents to be the invisible hand in this
- it really to be all about a small number of kids who refused to play, without whom the game couldn't be competitive; three jerks isn't much of a story
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff wrote:I skipped the championship lacrosse match my senior year to try and bang the nerdy hottie in some stupid glee club.
Hey, I saw that movie!
I also fucked a pie.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Hey, I saw that movie!
I also fucked a pie.
And a flute?
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

What would the originators of lacrosse say if they knew these young ladies wanted to skip a game to get hammered at an early age? Disgraceful.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The