Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:That's completely fucked up. I'll never understand people who treat their dogs like temporary, disposable possessions.

BTW, keep crating her at night and when you're not home. It's actually good for them, especially a dog like that that might have separation issues.
Definitely the plan. She was apparently disciplined with the crate (why?!?!) next door and told to go in it as a punishment, etc. Not here. New crate and everything. It's going to be a safe spot. I just have to figure out where her permanent crate placement is going to be.

And thanks y'all. I am so, so, so glad that this worked out the way it did.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A good way to use the crate is to NOT bribe her to go in by throwing in a treat or toy. Ask her to go in and then after she's in and you've closed the door, THEN give her a treat. Reward vs. bribe. It's a key difference.
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The basis for ABA therapy!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:You've got some fucked up neighbors. What are they going to think when old Penny is still there? Who cares? Nice work, bronts.
Isn't the responsible thing to give the dog to a shelter? If you don't want a dog and you've made the mistake of adopting one, what do you do? I wouldn't ask my neighbor to take the dog. "Sorry kids, I've given away your dog to Mr. Bronto." Good for you for rescuing her, but I'm not sure what the neighbors did was such a bad thing.
Didn't Bronto offer/ask to take the dog a week or so ago? My understanding was that Bronts tried it out with the dog, things went fine, then the neighbors just dropped it off at the shelter. Why not save everyone some money and paperwork, and give the dog to Bronto?

My guess is that they'll be pissed that you've screwed up their plans.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bfj wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Isn't the responsible thing to give the dog to a shelter? If you don't want a dog and you've made the mistake of adopting one, what do you do? I wouldn't ask my neighbor to take the dog. "Sorry kids, I've given away your dog to Mr. Bronto." Good for you for rescuing her, but I'm not sure what the neighbors did was such a bad thing.
I think you're thinking of pants. If you get pants then decide you don't want them, you take them back.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote:
bfj wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:You've got some fucked up neighbors. What are they going to think when old Penny is still there? Who cares? Nice work, bronts.
Isn't the responsible thing to give the dog to a shelter? If you don't want a dog and you've made the mistake of adopting one, what do you do? I wouldn't ask my neighbor to take the dog. "Sorry kids, I've given away your dog to Mr. Bronto." Good for you for rescuing her, but I'm not sure what the neighbors did was such a bad thing.
Didn't Bronto offer/ask to take the dog a week or so ago? My understanding was that Bronts tried it out with the dog, things went fine, then the neighbors just dropped it off at the shelter. Why not save everyone some money and paperwork, and give the dog to Bronto?

Correct, this was brought up a few weeks ago and I had said I wanted to do it. And in the interim I had invited her over as much as possible for them to play in the back yard. And, to be totally clear, they brought up the giving the dog away thing.

So while I do agree that taking a dog to a shelter if you can't keep her is a viable option, I'm just confused why we didn't have a followup conversation if it was a serious possibility.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Brontoburglar wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
bfj wrote:

Correct, this was brought up a few weeks ago and I had said I wanted to do it. And in the interim I had invited her over as much as possible for them to play in the back yard. And, to be totally clear, they brought up the giving the dog away thing.

So while I do agree that taking a dog to a shelter if you can't keep her is a viable option, I'm just confused why we didn't have a followup conversation if it was a serious possibility.
Didn't see that you had that conversation earlier. Still, would be a bit confusing for the kids if their dog became yours. Maybe the parents wanted to avoid that.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:
bfj wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Isn't the responsible thing to give the dog to a shelter? If you don't want a dog and you've made the mistake of adopting one, what do you do? I wouldn't ask my neighbor to take the dog. "Sorry kids, I've given away your dog to Mr. Bronto." Good for you for rescuing her, but I'm not sure what the neighbors did was such a bad thing.
I think you're thinking of pants. If you get pants then decide you don't want them, you take them back.

We disagree. Adopting a dog isn't a lifetime contract. And I NEVER return pants.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

bfj wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
bfj wrote:

Didn't see that you had that conversation earlier. Still, would be a bit confusing for the kids if their dog became yours. Maybe the parents wanted to avoid that.
I agree. However, if that's a possibility, don't bring it up. Count me in the camp that giving back a dog is not a topic of conversation to be had casually.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

bfj wrote:
mister d wrote:
bfj wrote:

We disagree. Adopting a dog isn't a lifetime contract. And I NEVER return pants.
If you believe this, please do not adopt a dog.

Also Bronto, If the 2 of them get into a scrap, please don't get your hand caught up in the middle. I've been changing bandages on my left hand for the better part of a week...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

devilfluff wrote:
bfj wrote:
mister d wrote:
bfj wrote:

If you believe this, please do not adopt a dog.

Also Bronto, If the 2 of them get into a scrap, please don't get your hand caught up in the middle. I've been changing bandages on my left hand for the better part of a week...
I do believe this and I won't. I have no desire to own a dog ever again.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
bfj wrote:

I'm imagining the neighbors telling their kids that old cliche' lie that they took the dog to live with some kindly old people in the country. Then, when the kids learn the truth...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Change the dog's name. "No kids, this isn't Penny. Her name is Pennay, totally different dog."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"Not Penny. Her name is Copper. You know, like that awful taste you get in your mouth when you realize life sucks."
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah, they're gonna be pissed. I mean, glad the dog is in a good place, but I'd just about guarantee you there is some story that they've already spun to the kids about the dog running away or dying or being given to some old blind man.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So many possible outcomes here. Demand the dog back, get pissed, pretend its not happening or be grateful she's happy. I know which one I'm expecting the least.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

It is very suspicious to me that Dog 2 decided to come back into your life at this point in time. It's like she waited until you were happy with Dog 1, and then decided to reinsert herself back into your life. Dog 2 has hurt you in the past, and I would be very careful about taking her back, especially given the fact that things seem to be going so well with Dog 1. My advice would be to be completely honest with both dogs, and let the chips fall where they may. The one thing we know for certain is that this will not backfire and there is no chance of you going from two dogs to zero dogs.
Popin' ain't easy
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:It is very suspicious to me that Dog 2 decided to come back into your life at this point in time. It's like she waited until you were happy with Dog 1, and then decided to reinsert herself back into your life. Dog 2 has hurt you in the past, and I would be very careful about taking her back, especially given the fact that things seem to be going so well with Dog 1. My advice would be to be completely honest with both dogs, and let the chips fall where they may. The one thing we know for certain is that this will not backfire and there is no chance of you going from two dogs to zero dogs.
Nice!
Welcome back, Hotcakes
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Dogin' ain't easy
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:Dogin' ain't easy
(puppin')
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I get a really uneasy feeling about this Penny situation. If the neighbors wanted you to have the dog, they would have given her to you. From my understanding of the situation, you discussed taking Penny, right? It would have been a hell of a lot easier to walk her over to your place then to go to the pound and deal with that bureaucracy.

Did you take in a 3rd dog? You are starting to become the male version of a Cat Lady.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Except one repels and the other attracts.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:I get a really uneasy feeling about this Penny situation. If the neighbors wanted you to have the dog, they would have given her to you. From my understanding of the situation, you discussed taking Penny, right? It would have been a hell of a lot easier to walk her over to your place then to go to the pound and deal with that bureaucracy.

Did you take in a 3rd dog? You are starting to become the male version of a Cat Lady.
Yes and yes. I think the shelter was the easier of the two options and they went that route. But I also can't claim that I was spying on them or trying to subvert them. I'd also feel absolutely horrible if I found out say, next week, that she was taken and was already adopted by someone else.

Is that selfish? Yes. But I wanted Toby to have a sister at some point, and I fell in love with her because she's so sweet.

And Riggins is not at my house. My brother recently moved in with his GF and they just got him Saturday.

Also, JH's post was well done.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Here she is for those who didn't see on FB

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Glad she found you again Bronto.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nice work!

She is a sweet looking girl.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Minecraft!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Everything work out relatively ok in the end, Bronto?
Popin' ain't easy
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:Everything work out relatively ok in the end, Bronto?
Nervous every time I open this thread now wondering the same.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tennbengal wrote:
Johnny Hotcakes wrote:Everything work out relatively ok in the end, Bronto?
Nervous every time I open this thread now wondering the same.
They got home late Thursday night. Probably 12:30?

Not really around yesterday -- that I saw -- and the dad was mowing the yard today, though she wasn't out during that time. My guess is that they've seen her in the back yard, but I haven't had any interaction with them. And there are no cars there now.

I have no idea what the heck they were gone for. I can't imagine it was a vacation. They're renting the house and were "hoping" to be able to buy in July. It's not the scenario that you'd have the money to take 5 or so people on an almost 3-week vacation. Especially if you told me you didn't have the money to build a privacy fence to keep Penny in the yard in the first place.

She knew they were home too. I took the laptop outside to work on the patio for a couple hours yesterday morning. She hadn't been infatuated with the corner of my yard that is nearest their side door but yesterday she was over there sniffing and everything. Today it hasn't been bad that I've noticed, and she and Toby have been outside quite a bit.

We'll see how this transpires. I'll be honest in that I didn't cross paths with them outside of Penny either coming over to my house and/or running away from theirs very often, so this could drag out for a while before there's an acknowledgement to me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Great that they are renters looking to move out. At least you won't have to deal with them for long if they are pissed.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Still no contact with them. The niece and the mom are around, but the dad and kids aren't. I crossed paths with the niece as I was unloading some landscaping stuff from my car on Monday but she didn't look over towards the house, wave or anything.

Penny is so, so, so different though. She's still pretty energetic and pees when she gets scared at times (unfamiliar males freak her out) but damn, she's been different. And she played with my brother and GF's puppy for the first extended time on Monday night and was awesome with him. I was super happy with her. And I think Toby was too. He didn't have to deal with Riggins chasing him around or Penny wanting to play with him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Watch how this dog has been taught to try and occupy this young lady's arms and hands as she has what appears to be a sensory overload moment. Very sweet.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That is great. Dogs are great.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Good dog. That choked me up.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Robotic dogs can die, too

The video is really kind of sweet, and sad.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Unexpected plot twist.

Had some crazy storms last night. Tree snapped in the yard of Penny's former owners. Guess where it landed? Yep.

Obliterated a section of my fence.

So this should be fun. I don't think anyone is home currently (there was a car in the driveway last night when I got home about 10:30) and the massive part of the tree that peeled off from the trunk is resting on their power supply line to the house. I obviously want them to pay for the repairs to my fence, but that's going to be easier said than done. I still haven't talked to them since the "vacation" or whatever it was.

We'll see how long it takes them to remove the tree, which is significantly into my yard as well. My fear is that they don't do it soon and it rips the power supply line from the pole and fucks up the power lines for the rest of the neighborhood.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Tree law is pretty shitty. Basically the gist is so long as it wasn't drying and you haven't asked them to do something about it hanging over into your property then they won't technically be bound to repair anything for you I don't think.

It would be neighborly to do so of course, but I don't like your chances.

But as to the power line...if it is potentially impacting the power supply you can tell the power company I think and they will come and at least handle the part that could cause problems.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:Tree law is pretty shitty. Basically the gist is so long as it wasn't drying and you haven't asked them to do something about it hanging over into your property then they won't technically be bound to repair anything for you I don't think.

It would be neighborly to do so of course, but I don't like your chances.

But as to the power line...if it is potentially impacting the power supply you can tell the power company I think and they will come and at least handle the part that could cause problems.
WOOOOOOO

It won't be too expensive to repair it. I know what I'm doing and I think a lot of it can be salvaged. But yeah, it'd be great if they took care of it.

And I am going to call them I think, though it's an incredibly low priority. 110K customers lost power last night and they've already said it will be a "multi-day" restoration for many. So this would not immediately jump to the top of the queue.