The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:Next time your wife doesn't like a beer, I'll come over and d... her ...a...
Dude!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Next time your wife doesn't like a beer, I'll come over and d... her ...a...
Dude!
I'll assume that as an exclamation of excitement. That'll serve the bitch right for not liking a great beer.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Had my bi-monthly bottle sharing gathering.

Prairie Bomb is aptly name. Damn that's a great beer. Also had (and am having as I type) Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point. Stout brewed with a myriad of Indian spices. It's very very good to start, and getting better as my palate adjusts/the beer warms.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
dem3pigs
Jackie Treehorn

Post by dem3pigs »

Been loving this the past few visits. I only find it at the two locations I visit in SD pretty close to the house.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Word? I ended up giving away a couple because I just couldn't enjoy it. I like hot and I liked spicy beers, but that was just too much.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

We have that, and the regular Sculpin at the local Whole Foods. Not sure I want a hot and spicy beer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I like spicy in stouts. IPAs and other lighter styles? No thanks.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush, are you familiar with a musician named Barry Sless? I understand he played with Phil Lesh, among others.

For my birthday, my sister in law gave me some nice beers. One of them, brewed in Fairfax, CA (Marin County) by Iron Springs brewery is named Sless Oatmeal Stout. The label says, "Brewed in honor of Barry Sless, guitar and pedal steel virtuoso.". Pretty tasty.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It looks like Bierkraft is Brooklyn is dead and this makes me as sad as losing a place I might go to twice per year could possibly make me.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I perhaps like beer too much, as looking at that oatmeal stout's label made me have a quick fantasy of attending the World Beer Cup.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Tried the Boulevard Coffee Imperial Stout. Best coffee flavor in any beer I've tried to date, but I haven't opened a KBS yet. They claim their process of adding the coffee has the effect of cold brewed coffee, and they used Ethiopian Sidamo beans. Great beer.

-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

KBS will give you the best bourbon flavor you've had in a stout, but not the best coffee flavor. Kane's Morning Bell is spectacular for that, if you can find it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:KBS will give you the best bourbon flavor you've had in a stout, but not the best coffee flavor. Kane's Morning Bell is spectacular for that, if you can find it.
I had Morning Bell at the Garden State Beer Fest, and it is top tier for sure. A much better beer than Boulevard, but I don't know if the coffee itself is as good. I'd need to compare side by side.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:Rush, are you familiar with a musician named Barry Sless? I understand he played with Phil Lesh, among others.

For my birthday, my sister in law gave me some nice beers. One of them, brewed in Fairfax, CA (Marin County) by Iron Springs brewery is named Sless Oatmeal Stout. The label says, "Brewed in honor of Barry Sless, guitar and pedal steel virtuoso.". Pretty tasty.
He played in PL&F 2006 or so, then again just about everyone has played with Phil at some point.

Pruitt you should come and attend the GABF one of these Octobers. It's expanded so there is absolutley no way you could even walk by every brewery attending.

Also I'll put Uncle Jacobs from Avery up against KBS in bourbon flavour any day of the week.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, drinking another birthday present beer tonight. Really enjoying this Belgian style golden ale from Alesmith in San Diego. "Horny Devil".
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

For a brewery that seems to have pretty wide distribution, Alesmith is crazy underrated.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Their (Alesmith) stout, barleywine, and IPA are all excellent to stellar.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

mister d wrote:Kane's Morning Bell is spectacular for that, if you can find it.
Truth. So much dark roast. Thank God, I still have a couple bottles left.

Bourbon County Coffee, any of the Alesmith Speedway variants, Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout, and Perennial Sump are all excellent coffee beers, also.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:Tried the Boulevard Coffee Imperial Stout. Best coffee flavor in any beer I've tried to date, but I haven't opened a KBS yet. They claim their process of adding the coffee has the effect of cold brewed coffee, and they used Ethiopian Sidamo beans. Great beer.

Did that place have the bourbon imperial? For as good as the coffee is... the bourbon is insane.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Oh shit, just noticed that was the 2015 coffee imperial. I still have a couple bottles of the 2014. I haven't gotten the 2015 yet.

Just bought a six pack of the Heavy Lifting IPA. That was the only non-smokestack Boulevard I hadn't tried yet. That'll change Friday night.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:Oh shit, just noticed that was the 2015 coffee imperial. I still have a couple bottles of the 2014. I haven't gotten the 2015 yet.

Just bought a six pack of the Heavy Lifting IPA. That was the only non-smokestack Boulevard I hadn't tried yet. That'll change Friday night.
I've never tested the theory, but the beer board consensus is that coffee stouts don't age well. Coffee is supposed to die off quickly, so you may want to get around to the 2014 bottles. I bought the 2015 at least a month ago, so they have been out a while, probably longer in your area. Worth seeking out, though.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:Oh shit, just noticed that was the 2015 coffee imperial. I still have a couple bottles of the 2014. I haven't gotten the 2015 yet.

I've never tested the theory, but the beer board consensus is that coffee stouts don't age well. Coffee is supposed to die off quickly, so you may want to get around to the 2014 bottles. I bought the 2015 at least a month ago, so they have been out a while, probably longer in your area. Worth seeking out, though.
depends on how the coffee is added... cold brewed, grounds, whole beans... and when in the brewing process.

Coffee is volatile, but not nearly as much as some other adjuncts, though. Coconut fades super fast.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think it was a guy at Tired Hands who said cold brewed tested out the best for them. Kind of counter-logical because of the added water, but there you go.

(Or maybe it was at Kane. Somewhere. Local roasted cold brew.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I know it's not a craft beer, but if you want pisswater, the Costco pisswater isn't bad at all for $21 for 48 cans.

I had the Saison Brett, a Prairie Bomb and a Boulevard blonde before dinner so I figured I was good enough to hit the Costco shit.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Had a Koffee Kreme milk stout at Comrade Brewing down in Denver. Best coffee stout I've ever had. Tasted like cold pressed coffee with a tad of milk added then a slight malt backbone. Really fucking good. Thier IPA was really good as well, considered one of the best in the state and I agree with them.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Opinions on Avery IPA?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote:Opinions on Avery IPA?
It's a solid old school craft American style IPA. I'd give it a B+.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Best beer I've had this year: Sanitas Black IPA.

If "black IPA" is a category or style, I've got to try some more of it. Any recommendations that would be distributed in Michigan?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DC47 wrote:Best beer I've had this year: Sanitas Black IPA.

If "black IPA" is a category or style, I've got to try some more of it. Any recommendations that would be distributed in Michigan?
It is a category. Some of my favorites that should be easy to find are Firestone Walker's Wookey Jack, Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale, Founders Black Rye IPA and Brew Dogs' Libertine. Founders was a seasonal beer, so not available right now, but hopefully it'll be back. If you like black IPAs, you should try some rye IPAs. Founders and others cross into both. Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye is one of the best, and I really like He'Brew's Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A, a tribute to the great Lenny Bruce.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wookey Jack is so good it should be a category unto itself. I'm not 100 percent sure if Firestone Walker distributes into Michigan. It's possible -- they're pretty wide now.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(But it should also be said that black IPAs are popular enough now and Michigan has SOOOOO many craft breweries that I'd be shocked if it were too hard to find something solid available at your local beer store.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

How dare you drink beer brewed in Boulder outside of Colorado. (Didn't know that they were that widely distributed.)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Seems early for Autumn beers...is that list current?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote:Seems early for Autumn beers...is that list current?
They release pumpkin/fall beers earlier and earlier.

Ryan I'd go with Evil Twin. Second choice would be the Heavy Seas, only because I haven't had them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

JW Lees. One of the best English barleywines, and that is the price it costs stores, so I can't believe how cheap it is. Evil Twin would be my other choice, but more because of the backstory between the brewer and his twin brother who runs Mikkeller. I finally tried several Evil Twin beers, and they were good and unusual.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Heavy seas beers I have had are boring.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Finally went to Avery and had the Uncle Jakob and a couple of bitters. One was real skunky with a latin name I can't remember but was quite good. Jakob was also delicious but it's so far removed from "beer" that it's tough to judge. A lot of flavors going on in that snifter.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rush2112 wrote:

How dare you drink beer brewed in Boulder outside of Colorado. (Didn't know that they were that widely distributed.)
http://cafeaion.com/AIon1.2/Home.html
Last Saturday night, the waiter said they just got a keg and he liked it. Is this a place you know? It's become my wife's favorite restaurant in Colorado.

Re: the Avery, I bought it in a hurry at Hazels and took it up into the mountains. Great stuff, though I supposed I should have tried for something more obscure given the selection. I was limited here in that my wife had to like it. She will drink many mainstream IPAs that aren't heavy on the alcohol, but anything else is a gamble.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

brian wrote:(But it should also be said that black IPAs are popular enough now and Michigan has SOOOOO many craft breweries that I'd be shocked if it were too hard to find something solid available at your local beer store.)
Good point. I'm so much a beer amateur that I had never noticed this as a distinct category, so I have never looked.

Thanks to others for advice on particular beers. I'll enjoy exploring this for the next few years. I will probably remain deeply in the novice category, but it is fun to have a 'thing' to work over in a bit of detail rather than just ordering something I don't know from an in-state brewery, which is my typical go-to strategy. I have never uttered a sentence that contains the words "hints of" and referred to a beer. But perhaps I'll get there some day.