The Following

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bryan
Jackie Treehorn

The Following

Post by bryan »

Has been unfollowed. Kevin Williamson can suck it. What a pile of dogshit.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Re: The Following

Post by admin »

Funny you should mention that this particular evening. I saw the first eight episodes. Decent enough start, nothing brilliant, but better than the average trash. Now it's just average trash. It went from mildly intriguing to unwatchable bullshit in just under two months. That didn't take long.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

admin wrote:Funny you should mention that this particular evening. I saw the first eight episodes. Decent enough start, nothing brilliant, but better than the average trash. Now it's just average trash. It went from mildly intriguing to unwatchable bullshit in just under two months. That didn't take long.
Yeah, exactly. I had hopes it would be decent but it's just laughable at this point. I'm half expecting Joe Carroll to get elected President at this point.
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

I want to have sex with your opinion so much I could stab it. Still watching for the hell of it, but it went off the rails last night.
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but no way it was still on the rails after the "I'm with Roderick" ridiculousness that was the raid on the farmhouse a couple of weeks ago.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Come on guys, he wanted his life to matter.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
The DSG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The DSG »

I shifted into hate-watching it two weeks ago, not sure if I'm going to stick with it.

The show is perhaps the finest example of lazy writing in television history. It was not enough to make the hero physically weak (retired, alcholic who has a pacemaker), but he is surrounded by incompetents who are supposedly working with him and, any time it looks like he might get close to catching the bad guy, the easy solution is "more bad guys". Tack on the cheap directing trick of holding shots on people a half-second longer than necessary or having a mild unexpected reaction from someone in the background to make you wonder if they are really in the cult and this show is a heap of rags struggling to create the illusion of a tangled web.

By the way, I'm sure you can find some surface comparison between this post and Poe, but only if you look.

And when you do, just say, "That's Poe."
"ONIONS!"
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The DSG wrote: . . . a mild unexpected reaction from someone in the background to make you wonder if they are really in the cult and this show is a heap of rags struggling to create the illusion of a tangled web.
That's Poe.

Well, not really. It's Sir Walter Scott. But I'm thinking of starting my own cult based on a period writer and Sir Walter will be my muse. We're not going to run about stabbing people or anything silly like that. Most likely we'll merely force-feed single malt to unwilling victims and then compel them, under the threat of haggis, to play golf and curling while wearing kilts as they are being shadowed by bagpipers. Because that's how Sir Walter's cult rolls, laddie.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

The DSG wrote:The show is perhaps the finest example of lazy writing in television history. It was not enough to make the hero physically weak (retired, alcholic who has a pacemaker)
This is my main issue with the show. Every character, in Williamson fashion, is a typical television stereotype. From Ryan being the broken, former cop who washed out and turned to the bottle, to agent Parker being the child of cult followers who got out and now is dedicating her life to hunting cults, there is nothing original here.

Plus, there are so many holes in the story. How did Carrol get from the prisoner transport to the warden's trunk? Why wasn't Claire moved to a new safe house when Weston was kidnapped to prevent her from being at risk? (Cause if you did there would be no plot, no conflict in the episode and they'd have to actually think one out.)
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

The FBI guy from X-men might be the only likable character on the show (the Baconator is enjoyable, but such a downer with gauntness, and the drinking, and the not being able to keep up with you on a jog) and my wife and I swore that if they killed him we'd be off the show. Fuckers. Now we're still in limbo.

Though I still don't get how you can make it through the previous two episodes and decide that this past episode was just too much.
The DSG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The DSG »

Oh, it's all terrible. That's why I suggest the hate-watching. Got me through to end end of the first season of "The Killing." And, while this show isn't cut from the same cloth, it certainly is made from fabric bought in the same aisle at Jo-Ann Fabrics and Television Scripts You Should Use to Wipe.
"ONIONS!"
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

It is some good hate-watching. They really stretched the viewers' suspension of disbelief this week -- a 22-year-old girl going to a party without a cell phone.