Spring - Summer Reading Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Spring - Summer Reading Thread

Post by Giff »

Bensell wrote:
Giff wrote:Bensell, did you finish The Testing yet? I liked it, but I'm a sucker for those YA post-apocalyptic series. I liked it better than Hunger Games or Divergent.
It was good. The second book is better and I just picked up the third at the library today.
Awesome. There's a long waiting list for both at my library, so may have to buy them.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

About 30 pages from finishing The Testing's 3rd book Graduation Day and it's been pretty solid. I'm still not sure if it is setting up for more books in the series but I'm thinking it is

Been reading this for my non fiction:

And will start this later today:

Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

After a long string of non-fiction books, I'm reading this now:

And...well....despite the great reviews, I'm not sure I'm feeling it. Seem's a bit rushed, and I think that he's not telling the best part of the story (focusing on the survivors on the ISS, rather than the people on earth).

I am only 26% of the way into the story, and its almost to the Big Event (The Hard Rain), so maybe there's a twist coming, but so far its fairly underwhelming.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote:I've been listening to The Kite Runner in my car this week. Man. Before this one, I think the most unlikable main character I had ever come across was Ignatius J Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces, but at least he was unintentionally funny and pretty much harmless. This kid Amir's actions are just stomach turning at this point.

I have to assume there's some redemption coming, especially as the character seems very autobiographical.
Finished this one this morning. As expected, the main character, Amir, does redeem himself by the end. But it's far from a happy story. Pretty fascinating look into Afghanistan though. I realized just how little I knew (know) about the country and people.
Totally Kafkaesque
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Started this and it is really good at the halfway point:

This is next up for fiction list - looks interesting but I haven't any reviews about so here's hoping it's decent:

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

finished this...it was okay..would not recommend it

almost done this ---would not recommend if you have heard this is standup form

next up
or
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I read The Martian a couple of weeks ago. Great book. That was the most fun read I've had in a long time.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote:I read The Martian a couple of weeks ago. Great book. That was the most fun read I've had in a long time.
I just started The Martian yesterday, and while I can't vouch for it quite yet (I'm leaning towards it being great); it's got probably one of the better first lines of any book I've read.

Just finished reading this, and really enjoyed it:

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Shirley wrote:I read The Martian a couple of weeks ago. Great book. That was the most fun read I've had in a long time.
I just started The Martian yesterday, and while I can't vouch for it quite yet (I'm leaning towards it being great); it's got probably one of the better first lines of any book I've read.
My kids loved that line. My 14-year-old absolutely devoured The Martian in one day last week. He giggled the whole way through it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Read this one over the weekend.

Bizarre and funny, think it's based on an old Finnish folk tale, but enjoyable nonetheless.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

The Fold was a really good, really crazy novel. Definitely something different. Not sure which of these is next:

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Which everyone must be reading due to the Swampcrash Rockefeller answer.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote:After a long string of non-fiction books, I'm reading this now:

And...well....despite the great reviews, I'm not sure I'm feeling it. Seem's a bit rushed, and I think that he's not telling the best part of the story (focusing on the survivors on the ISS, rather than the people on earth).

I am only 26% of the way into the story, and its almost to the Big Event (The Hard Rain), so maybe there's a twist coming, but so far its fairly underwhelming.
I HATE HATE HATE HATED this book. The last 30% of it was sooooooooo bad. Felt just tacked on, and annoying. I was Hate-Reading it at the end...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Totally judged a book on its cover with this one, picking it up waiting on line at the library based on the long title, dog and bright yellow caught my eye. Glad I did, it was really fun, and maybe I'm a softy but it's been awhile since I've been so invested in a story. Northern Michigan seems...interesting.

Finished Robopocalypse a couple of weeks ago. It was OK. I could see the movie being great, especially if Spielberg stays involved. In terms of similarly themed/structured recent fiction, I liked World War Z (the novel) a lot more.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Started listening to Zone One based on several recommendations here. I'm not a zombie guy at all, but I am really enjoying this so far. I get way to much amusement out of Buffalo being the great and powerful capital city.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:Started listening to Zone One based on several recommendations here. I'm not a zombie guy at all, but I am really enjoying this so far. I get way to much amusement out of Buffalo being the great and powerful capital city.
I liked that one, too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Still playing catch-up from my public school education. Dsafe recommended this, after Zola was a final jeopardy answer. Dude could really write, I'm transported to 1870s Paris.

Online version here

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Glad you liked it. One of the few books I have from college, read it first semester of sophomore year (and have re-read it since, just not in a very long time).
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote:Finished this about a month and a half ago. Fantastic. I recommend the audible version. The narration was spot on and I'm really excited to see what they do with the movie.

For those who liked this book
http://www.businessinsider.com/real-pla ... ars-2015-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Mr. D was here.

-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

THree books into his career and he is (to me) Canada's best writer.

David Bezmogis has released one previous (excellent) novel and an absolutely amazing book of short stories.

Started his new book last night and am already halfway through (it is only 220 pages...)

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I quit Second Life a little after 100 pages into it. After I finish the I, Ripper (which has not been one of Stephen Hunter's better books) this is next:

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Let me know when you finish zone one. Have a question. Will save it for rass as well.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:Let me know when you finish zone one. Have a question. Will save it for rass as well.
Finished. And yes, the entire story was the dog's dream.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

THe question is when did you realize he was black?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote:THree books into his career and he is (to me) Canada's best writer.

David Bezmogis has released one previous (excellent) novel and an absolutely amazing book of short stories.

Started his new book last night and am already halfway through (it is only 220 pages...)

And the last 100 pages were boring, ridiculous and filled with little more than philosophical discussions.

Stay away.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:THe question is when did you realize he was black?
I was hoping for a cool discussion, like was he a zombie the whole time, trying to get back to his Uncle's apartment, then as soon as they mentioned he was black, I knew that was what you were getting at. It was a bit more of a surprise, as I listened to the audiobook, and the reader clearly made several characters sound black, but not Mark Spitz. I just looked up the author and see he is black, so it makes perfect sense the main character was black without any signals as to his race. My ethnocentric brain just assumed he was white.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Picked up The Martian. Kinda love it so far. About 1/4 through.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Really enjoying this - first volume of a French epic set in the 16th century. Sex, intrigue, war... very entertaining.

Am bringing that and these two on my vacation.

Got great reviews and sounds fascinating - all about the world of pilots.

Should be good...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Finished this yesterday. Entertaining summer read. Though the mix tape that forms a central piece is put together wrong, wouldn't have fit on cassette.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rush2112 wrote:Image

Finished this yesterday. Entertaining summer read. Though the mix tape that forms a central piece is put together wrong, wouldn't have fit on cassette.
I've heard nothing but terrible reviews of this. I listened to "Ready Player One" by him and narrated by Wil Wheaton and had been looking forward to his next offering and people have just shit all over it. Any further thoughts? Have you read RPO or is this your first Cline novel?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
I've heard nothing but terrible reviews of this. I listened to "Ready Player One" by him and narrated by Wil Wheaton and had been looking forward to his next offering and people have just shit all over it. Any further thoughts? Have you read RPO or is this your first Cline novel?
I enjoyed RPO, it was fun going through the world he created but you have to admit, it was pretty poorly written. The overreliance on naming every 80's video game occupied way too much of the book. It was like reading the barest notes of a Chuck Klosterman book.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
I enjoyed RPO, it was fun going through the world he created but you have to admit, it was pretty poorly written. The overreliance on naming every 80's video game occupied way too much of the book. It was like reading the barest notes of a Chuck Klosterman book.
It was a bit over the top. I think the enthusiasm that Wil read it with worked it mitigate a bit of the non-stop references. It's not a great American classic, but it was a fun read.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's basically the same sort of book as Ready Player One.

Not the best written thing, and filled with gamer cliches and hair metal / prog references. Fun nonetheless...and Wil reads the audio of Armada as well.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So I got to thinking. The Martian was phenomenal. Flat out couldn't hardly put it down. As always when I finish a book that is this good, I think about where it goes on my "All-Time List." The list evolves, and non-fiction is separate from fiction, but for fiction, the listread like this a week ago

Lonesome Dove - Which was added two years ago
I Am Legend - Added probably 12-13 years ago or so when i read something by Stephen King about how great the book was
The old Man and the Sea - Added when I was, I Dunno, 12 or 13
The Road - Added shortly after it won the Pulitzer prize, so 07 or 08?
Fifth spot held by something else that really probably changes based on the day (The Terror - Dan Simmons, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, The Stupidest angel (which isn't really a GREAT book, but it is SO MUCH FUN TO READ), etc...

But I'm Thinking that The Martian probably moves into the #4 slot. Which means I have a real, solid Top 5. And it's a weird weird weird top five. Pulitzers, Nobels, Horror story thaisnn't particularly popular, and a book that was originally published online.

And there's a common thread that goes through four of them without much thought, and through the fifth one in a less obvious but still there way.

It's fighting the elements and environment to stay alive, typically by one person, but sometimes with two (The Road and Lonesome dove have two major characters).

So all you pop-psychologists, what does that mean, other than I like staying alive type stories? (Note: I really like Stayin Alive the song, too!)

Also, the Non-fiction list is: Krakatoa, The Professor and the Madman, Into THin Air, The Majors and Probably River at the Center of the World - yeah, I really like Simon Winchester.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You remind me how much I loved Lonesome Dove. I've rarely had that much joy reading a novel. Lots of non-fiction books give me that feeling.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: or
Heard Judd Apatow on Gilbert Gottfrieds\'s (occasionally funny) podcast. Great episode, the guy is a PhD student of comedy and I'm going to grab this book.
He told a hilarious story about the book - when he started to write it, he pledged all of his proceeds to a literary foundation. Then he got a huge advance and immediately wanted to lower the amount. With the book being a bestseller, he says that he really wishes he had pledged 5% of his proceeds. Sounded like he was kidding... mostly.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote: or
Heard Judd Apatow on Gilbert Gottfrieds\'s (occasionally funny) podcast. Great episode, the guy is a PhD student of comedy and I'm going to grab this book.
He told a hilarious story about the book - when he started to write it, he pledged all of his proceeds to a literary foundation. Then he got a huge advance and immediately wanted to lower the amount. With the book being a bestseller, he says that he really wishes he had pledged 5% of his proceeds. Sounded like he was kidding... mostly.

Put this on hold at the library. I heard him talk about it on WTF, and maybe the Tonight Show or some other sitcom. So cool how he was able to interview some of the biggest names in comedy when he was a high school student.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just started this last night. No "Salt: A World History," but pretty interesting so far.