Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by mister d »

My fear is the opposite; what if we hold her back and then for some medical or academic reason she needs to repeat a grade? That would put her 2 years older than the youngest in her class which can't possibly be a good thing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Those are the same people who push for full day kindergarten so they can save on day care and then bitch about how much more the schools then have to pay for teachers with their increased hours.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote:My fear is the opposite; what if we hold her back and then for some medical or academic reason she needs to repeat a grade? That would put her 2 years older than the youngest in her class which can't possibly be a good thing.
Think of the profits when she's buying her classmates booze and cigs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote:Those are the same people who push for full day kindergarten so they can save on day care and then bitch about how much more the schools then have to pay for teachers with their increased hours.
That's exactly how our current town is. Anyone with a kid younger than K wants it full-time, then suddenly the support disappears despite it being a good idea on the whole.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

They had two weddings. The aforementioned smaller one right before he got deported which was at my house and then the reception across the street at my in-laws' house (nobody offered their houses) and then a huge one when he got back. Many people were invited to both weddings and expected to give gifts at both weddings.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Jerloma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:They sent the girls to kindergarten twice, not for academic reasons, but so they'd have a physical advantage for sports in high school.
I've heard of a lot of people doing that, except for academic/social reasons. Cut off is October, my son was born in July, and my MIL thought we were foolish not to hold my son back. His cousin is 2 weeks older, and they had him start K the following year. The cousin is huge, not fat, but built like a linebacker, tall, extremely intelligent and a huge prankster/class clown. The kid is so bored in school, he i constantly in trouble, and refuses to answer questions on tests because he doesn't care. If any kid needed to be pushed ahead, it's this kid.
Our cut-off is August 31st. They were born at the beginning of August. I'd think before making a decision to hold a kid back, you should wait to see if they actually struggle. The Ginger One was born in mid-August and struggled a little at first and they wanted us to hold her back after 2nd grade. We just got her a little help and now she's NJHS.
Our oldest was born two days before the cut-off. My wife was a member of an on-line group of local parents with kids born in that month. There was some discussion of this issue, but no one signalled their decision. In the end, every single one (20 or so) delayed the start of their kids entry to Kindergarten, except us. We really didn't give it much thought. Clearly it is a social trend. Our daughter was among the handful of youngest kids in her grade all the way through high school. She got off to a mediocre start, both emotionally and academically. But in the end, she did well. By the time she was 16 she was 'tired of high school' and spent the majority of her time on the local University campus, taking classes and working in two research labs. It could be that the extra challenge in her early years engaged her more than if she had been superior due to being older from the beginning.

Our youngest was born in the middle of the academic cycle. She was held back one year, and functions roughly 3 to 5 or so years lower than her age peers; in a few ways she is off-the-charts low, and will likely never function at a higher level than a 6 year old. When she was in second grade, school officials deflected our questions about holding her back another year. We never figured out why, as this would have done a lot to close the gap for her.

Instead, she is in a regular classroom but 'pulled out' of several classes for individual sessions with 'special teachers.' This works okay. But we'll always wonder if it would have worked better to have her be in a classroom that is several years behind her chronological age.

When she was 10, we tried hard to think of her as 'our perfect 6 year old' rather than our defective 10 year old. That worked pretty well for us in terms of getting who she was, rather than what her age suggested she should be. She is now older, and her only regular play-mates are 3 and 4 years younger. Many kids simply won't play with a kid who is that much older than them; and if the kids will, many of their parents quietly reject the idea. They don't like the idea of their angels being around a cognitively impaired kid, even if the kid is a match for their children in many ways.

After many years of trial and eventual rejection, we've found a few kids (and parents) who accept our daughter even if she isn't the usual friend for a younger child. I suppose it is not surprising that some of the kids who are in this category are themselves less attractive to the mainstream kids (and parents) due to some form of disability.

The greater surprise is that all of the younger, non-disabled kids are black. We found the second part of this pattern hard to believe at first, as we live in a very liberal town. But we've now hosted several birthday parties with white kids in the minority as guests. We've come to think that black kids around here may be experiencing a form of subtle racism that leaves them with fewer friends. This may account for their greater willingness to play with our daughter even though she is odd due to being much older, much bigger, not as smart, and exhibiting some autistic behavior.

Our daughter is the age of a high school student, and her best friend is in elementary school. Yet they get along so well that both sets of parents will drive their kids across town so they can get together. When they're out in public, it's likely that some people see the physically mature, tall, white kid as the baby-sitter of the much shorter, pre-pubescent black kid. Or they are just puzzled to see them sitting together at an ice cream parlor. But actually, the black kid is more the leader, as she is much smarter and has better social skills (which includes some edgier behavior). It's a friendship that you don't often see. I pray it continues awhile longer yet.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Funny about the age thing. The rule has since been changed, but at the time my daughter was starting school, the rule here was that it was parent option to send them or hold them, if the child is born in September, October or November. Ours was born on October 30th, and my wife and I were leaning toward holding her back, but she really wanted to go. So, we figured we could hold her back for a second year of kindergarten if she couldn't handle it. But, she did fine and despite her relative youth, has done well all along. But, it is weird that some kids in her class are over a year older than her, without having been held back, and conceivably two years older, if held back once.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am in the middle of a three day "writer's summit" - a meeting where typically, a bunch of TV writers and a story editor and a producer and director throw around ideas for a series' upcoming season.

A big deal for a writer as it pretty much guarantees you a number of scripts and gives you the ability to plan the next few months of your professional life. (and money)

So this is going to be a big show in the world of animation. A show for preschoolers produced by Sprout (owned by NBC). They are up here because the company that is doing the actual animation is here and because employing a Canadian animation house, director and a couple of writers gets them tax credits from the Canadian government)

Anyway, there are 6 veteran writers in the room (one flown in from L.A., two in from New York and an L.A. writer on a skype feed). The other veteran Canadian writer is an old story editor of mine who wrote 8 episodes for this show's first season. I got this gig mainly because the director and I were both burned by another company last year and have stayed in touch, AND this summit was arranged on very short notice so the heads of the network asked the Production company if they knew of any experienced preschool animation writers who were available in 5 days time.

In other words - a huge lucky break.

Reason I bring this up is that there is another writer in the room. 25 or so, works at the production company as an assistant. Last season, he apparently pitched an idea and with the assistance of the script co-ordinator, wrote a script that was produced.

So, to further set the stage, the head of the network is there, the network's head of development, the creator of the show is there. In total, 23 people - I was nervous and I have been doing this for a couple of decades.

So anyway, this young guy looks down at his phone at one point as another writer is pitching an idea. I look over to see what he's looking at - Facebook.

I should point out that no one else in the room was doing this.

Kid did this repeatedly. At one point, the four most important people in the room (Network Head, Head of Development, Show Creator and Story Editor) were all looking over at him as he sent a text. Too oblivious to notice.

Methinks I won't be seeing this youngster in too many writers' summits in the future.

This goes beyond just being addicted to the phone. This speaks of a complete inability to understand one's environment.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Taking a huge meet with some olds. Crushing it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote:
Taking a huge meet with some olds. Crushing it.
Bold choice to not use "preschoolers".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote:This goes beyond just being addicted to the phone. This speaks of a complete inability to understand one's environment.
Standard millennial behavior.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote:
Pruitt wrote:This goes beyond just being addicted to the phone. This speaks of a complete inability to understand one's environment.
I've been in group meetings here at work, and there's been someone texting. My manager has taken her phone away a few times.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Prime Day blew goats.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:
I've been in group meetings here at work, and there's been someone texting. My manager has taken her phone away a few times.
Day two of the summit today - kid kept it up. Personable and has a few ideas, but man, he was scrolling on his phone as an educational consultant gave her presentation. She looked at him with a mixture of resignation and disgust on her face.

Understand your manager taking action - in a room full of freelancers, it just doesn't matter enough to others to make a stand or to point out the rudeness of this behaviour.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Never mind. Great success.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Thanks for making me clear my viewing history.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote:Never mind. Great success.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I knew getting back in the "dating game" would be a challenge after being out of it for over 5 years. When I was released from Joliet, I had to learn all the new things "the dating crowd" was trying.
Man, smartasses always make me laugh.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Whoever that star player is from UConn was up for Female Athlete of the Year. The winner of the Female College Athlete of the Year was Missy Franklin.

This was a rant.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

God, I can't even imagine the energy I'd waste if some pitcher ever won the MVP but not the Cy Young.

(I guess unless it was NL MVP and the guy had like a .400 OBP and some other pitcher was just a tick better pitching. Boy, that would be fun.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

In the NFL, many times a QB will win MVP while a tailback or WR wins offensive player of the year.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jerloma wrote:In the NFL, many times a QB will win MVP while a tailback or WR wins offensive player of the year.
But never, I'm assuming, while another QB wins OPOTY. Which is this.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ryan wrote:
Jerloma wrote:In the NFL, many times a QB will win MVP while a tailback or WR wins offensive player of the year.
You know Missy Franklin isn't another power forward/basketball player, right?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You cannot be the best female and second best college female, J-Lo.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I can't.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right, because no one gives a fuck about tennis. But no one else can either.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'M NOT AGAINST YOU HERE, FUCKWAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're fighting against logic here. I am a defender of logic.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Look, I'm here all day. I agree that it's illogical for a college player to be nominated as best athlete but then not even be considered best collegiate athlete. If you're such a staunch advocate of logic though, this!
Image is to Image

As...

Image is to Image
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You can't really use MVP as an analogy because some voters don't equate "most valuable" with "best overall performer". If the phrasing is the same, "best female athlete" and "best female college athlete", its impossible to be the former and not the latter if you're in college.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:You can't really use MVP as an analogy because some voters don't equate "most valuable" with "best overall performer". If the phrasing is the same, "best female athlete" and "best female college athlete", its impossible to be the former and not the latter if you're in college.
That's correct. That would be a fine retort. The position thing is meaningless though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well yeah, but I mean, c'mon. Its Ryan.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:Well yeah, but I mean, c'mon. Its Ryan.
He wonders why we finished ahead of him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Better imaginations.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm still more valuable

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Loving this thread. I'm imagining the group of you in a room making these arguments, with copious amounts of alcohol involved.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm in charge of Competitive Benchmarking, so I basically have contacts/relationships with people from every other major firm in the industry and we share processes/best practices, shit like that with the idea that what's better for the industry as a whole is better for everyone. So this VP sends me a question and it's fucking dripping in ambiguity because why should a VP be good at communicating? So I ask him to clarify and he ends up getting this down to "At what time on average are you able to send nightly fund prices to clients?"

It's still a horrible question. What funds? What products? What communication mediums? What is a fucking average time? Where do you even pick your start and end point to figure out average time? 12-12? That's going to give you a horrible answer. So of course he doesn't even provide our answers so I have to ask him again for those. Do you think he gives me an average time? No...he gives me a schedule of how many releases occurred for each day this year between 6-6:15, 6:15-6:30, 6:30-6:45, after 6:45. In other words, the fucking guy can't even answer his own god damned question!

Anyway, I'm sick and tired of having to hold the hands of people that make way more money than me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That sounds even worse than parsing ambiguous questions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:I'm in charge of Competitive Benchmarking, so I basically have contacts/relationships with people from every other major firm in the industry and we share processes/best practices, shit like that with the idea that what's better for the industry as a whole is better for everyone. So this VP sends me a question and it's fucking dripping in ambiguity because why should a VP be good at communicating? So I ask him to clarify and he ends up getting this down to "At what time on average are you able to send nightly fund prices to clients?"

It's still a horrible question. What funds? What products? What communication mediums? What is a fucking average time? Where do you even pick your start and end point to figure out average time? 12-12? That's going to give you a horrible answer. So of course he doesn't even provide our answers so I have to ask him again for those. Do you think he gives me an average time? No...he gives me a schedule of how many releases occurred for each day this year between 6-6:15, 6:15-6:30, 6:30-6:45, after 6:45. In other words, the fucking guy can't even answer his own god damned question!

Anyway, I'm sick and tired of having to hold the hands of people that make way more money than me.
This sounds like a lot of shit I have to deal with. I wish I had been more ambitious in my career sometimes because I see some of the people that make huge bank and they're absolute morons. But not sure I would have wanted to deal with all of the crap that comes with being upwardly mobile.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:What is a fucking average time? Where do you even pick your start and end point to figure out average time? 12-12? That's going to give you a horrible answer.
I know you're not a math guy, but the start and end point don't matter for an average time. Most human beings would assume a day starts at midnight, the first hour is 1 o'clock, etc. Then if prices are sent out at 5:30, 4:30, 4:00, 5:27, etc. you just add em up and average them (pro tip - use 24 hour time).
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:What is a fucking average time? Where do you even pick your start and end point to figure out average time? 12-12? That's going to give you a horrible answer.
I know you're not a math guy, but the start and end point don't matter for an average time. Most human beings would assume a day starts at midnight, the first hour is 1 o'clock, etc. Then if prices are sent out at 5:30, 4:30, 4:00, 5:27, etc. you just add em up and average them (pro tip - use 24 hour time).
Now get your stupid parent company to fix Excel time