2016 Presidential Race

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Post by howard »

Brontoburglar wrote:I fail to see the similarities between Trump and Palin outside of "people who are popular before the election that have no shot."
That is exactly my point. That is the similarity between the two.

The hand-wringing was in the swamp. in 2011. Despite my opinion then and today that they have zero shot.

I missed Jeb's announcement. I guess I am making progress at turning my attention away from the whole charade (but obviously I can't help myself a little peek now and then.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The real issue with Trump is his complete idiocy will probably serve to validate other idiots as "serious" candidates.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:I know that Sybian has to be ordering one..

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... d-printing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha! I was just coming here to post for those in the market for a butt plug. That is hilarious. If makes a Santorum one, that would be the greatest thing ever.

Walker keeps tweeting about hot ham and rolls because hot salami and buns is too obvious a euphemism.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

GOP debates should be a single-elimination bracket with 4 minute time limits and Todd Frazier's family asking all the questions. Duggars in the outfield.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:GOP debates should be a single-elimination bracket with 4 minute time limits and Todd Frazier's family asking all the questions. Duggars in the outfield.
I bet that joke is really funny.
-Pruitt
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

My wife (who is Mexican-American) agrees with Donald Trump. She has always been anti-immigration, which is one of the few political points we disagree on. I was raised middle class in a pretty nice town (Pasadena), which I think had a lot to do with the type of immigrants I encountered. The illegal immigrants I typically ran across were a part of my family or a friend's family. Most seemed to be very humble, hard-working, honest folks. They either came from Mexico with a little money to get by, or had family here with money to help them. They never seemed particularly desperate. I don't think I've ever met a rapist.

My wife on the other hand was raised in South Central LA. Her mom was an alcoholic, and she never met her dad until recently. She ran away from home at 15, was homeless for a while, got a fake ID, found a job with fake ID, saved enough money to rent a studio and eventually went back to school (she is currently working on her phd). One of her brothers was shot in the back of the head, and another is a shot caller for the Mexican mafia, currently awaiting sentencing for RICO, drug and firearm violations (story for another day). Needless to say, she has seen the scum of the earth - and in her world, they were all illegal immigrants.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Keg wrote:My wife (who is Mexican-American) agrees with Donald Trump. She has always been anti-immigration, which is one of the few political points we disagree on. I was raised middle class in a pretty nice town (Pasadena), which I think had a lot to do with the type of immigrants I encountered. The illegal immigrants I typically ran across were a part of my family or a friend's family. Most seemed to be very humble, hard-working, honest folks. They either came from Mexico with a little money to get by, or had family here with money to help them. They never seemed particularly desperate. I don't think I've ever met a rapist.

My wife on the other hand was raised in South Central LA. Her mom was an alcoholic, and she never met her dad until recently. She ran away from home at 15, was homeless for a while, got a fake ID, found a job with fake ID, saved enough money to rent a studio and eventually went back to school (she is currently working on her phd). One of her brothers was shot in the back of the head, and another is a shot caller for the Mexican mafia, currently awaiting sentencing for RICO, drug and firearm violations (story for another day). Needless to say, she has seen the scum of the earth - and in her world, they were all illegal immigrants.
Interesting story, Keg. My experience has been much like yours. And, I think the argument that clowns like Trump make about taking jobs away from Americans is ridiculous. Most of them are honest folks coming for a better life (just like all of our own ancestors did) and work their asses off at jobs most Americans won't take, such as picking our fruit and vegetables. My wife's 94 year-old father is a retired farmer, and is generally right-wing and borderline racist. But, he has no problem at all with illegal aliens coming up from Mexico, because as he says, "if it wasn't for those fellers, the farm work wouldn't get done."
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

John Dingell is awesome.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I should get twitter just for the train wrecks. Seems to be the perfect medium for the filter-less.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I fail to see the similarities between Trump and Palin outside of "people who are popular before the election that have no shot."
That is exactly my point. That is the similarity between the two.

The hand-wringing was in the swamp. in 2011. Despite my opinion then and today that they have zero shot.
Trump, not Palin.

And I'm not arguing with you at all that he has a shot. He doesn't. And I think it's pretty clear that everyone here realizes that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I quoted it in my post on the subject. sancarlos.

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtop ... 077#p89077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And following that, Dave in Seattle, quoting the great wise man Paul Krugman (don't get me fucking started,) ominously warning that Trump captures the endearment of the Republican base (fucking Krugman might want to count up the number of GOP voters on the Upper West Side today, rather than his stereotyped remembrance of decades past - they are the only ones who can afford the UWS now, why did you get me fucking started?)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I think Trump is getting everything he wants out of this....attention, and the stroking of his ego. There's no way he really wants to be President...its too much work.

He will make the debates even more of a clown show then they were already setting up to be however.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Exactly, just like the prior two or three times he ran for president. He has more name recognition now, mostly because he has a tv show. So he can play out the game longer. More stoke, more attention than the last go-rounds.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote:I quoted it in my post on the subject. sancarlos.

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtop ... 077#p89077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And following that, Dave in Seattle, quoting the great wise man Paul Krugman (don't get me fucking started,) ominously warning that Trump captures the endearment of the Republican base (fucking Krugman might want to count up the number of GOP voters on the Upper West Side today, rather than his stereotyped remembrance of decades past - they are the only ones who can afford the UWS now, why did you get me fucking started?)
As someone who doesn't like hyperbole when it comes to politics, your use of hand-wringing to describe that post is quite close to being hyperbolic.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

howard wrote:Exactly, just like the prior two or three times he ran for president. He has more name recognition now, mostly because he has a tv show. So he can play out the game longer. More stoke, more attention than the last go-rounds.
If I remember, he's only hinted in the past about running, never actually declared himself a Candidate, right?

Anyways....my prediction: He never actually files the required the financial disclosure paperwork required to be an official candidate, and the RNC (and their media arm, FoxNews) use that to bar him from the initial GOP debates, and he bloviates loudly about how the GOP Establishment is using technicalities to keep him out of the race because "they know I'm right!" and "they are scared of my truth-telling!".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
howard wrote:Exactly, just like the prior two or three times he ran for president. He has more name recognition now, mostly because he has a tv show. So he can play out the game longer. More stoke, more attention than the last go-rounds.
If I remember, he's only hinted in the past about running, never actually declared himself a Candidate, right?

Anyways....my prediction: He never actually files the required the financial disclosure paperwork required to be an official candidate, and the RNC (and their media arm, FoxNews) use that to bar him from the initial GOP debates, and he bloviates loudly about how the GOP Establishment is using technicalities to keep him out of the race because "they know I'm right!" and "they are scared of my truth-telling!".
Sounds about right. 2012 he pulled the whole torn between declaring and keeping his show on NBC, because the network couldn't air his show if he was running. In the end, he had to choose the show, as it is the #1 show in the history of mankind, and next season is going to be Fahn-taaas-tic! I wish I could sound out fantastic the way he says it. Now that NBC has cancelled The Apprentice (they did, right?) that excuse is gone. I'm sure he'll come up with some super secret venture that will be hUUUUUGE (silent h) and so fahntahstic he can't talk about it, but just wait, you're not going to believe what Trump came up with. Of course, the idea doesn't exist and will never be spoken of again.

Side note, I accidently switched the radio to AM during Limbaugh. El Rushbo discovered an Indonesian article saying Obama wished all Muslims in Indonesia and the rest of the world a happy Eid al-Fitr, the feast at the end of Ramadan. Apparently this is an enormous problem. Obama also said religious ceremonies in all religions are a time to contemplate, enjoy family and peacefully reflect on how all people are alike (or some such sentiments). Again, outrage! To top it off, Obama spoke for all Americans when he wished people a happy (specific) holiday. WTF is wrong with people?
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Celebrity Apprentice is still around. It's a Mark Burnett property and apparently George Lopez is the leading candidate to take over for Trump.

Yeah, I know.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I just watched a quick interview between Hannity and Chris Christie. They brought up executive orders that Obama has "forced" upon us. I looked it up, and Obama is on the very low end of the spectrum over the last 100 years (205...for comparison, Reagan had 385).

Yet nobody ever calls them on this shit. Hannity and co. act like Obama basically invented the executive order.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:I just watched a quick interview between Hannity and Chris Christie. They brought up executive orders that Obama has "forced" upon us. I looked it up, and Obama is on the very low end of the spectrum over the last 100 years (205...for comparison, Reagan had 385).

Yet nobody ever calls them on this shit. Hannity and co. act like Obama basically invented the executive order.
Jon Stewart does all the time. Anyone who does call this shit out to a FoxNews junkie is a sheep following the Left Wing propaganda machine. All facts that aren't generated by Fox, Breitbart, World Net Daily... are Left Wing lies paid for by George Soros. Pretty much everything Obama does that riles up the Right was done by Reagan. I've been hearing a lot of people furious because Obama cut a deal with Iran over their nuclear program. Diplomacy is treason, but illegally selling weapons to Iran, lying about it in front of Congress, and using the proceeds to fund a militia group to overthrow a banana republic is fine. I was watching an old Daily Show a couple of nights ago (they are running a nonstop marathon on their website of every episode. There was a clip of Bush Jr. discussing Iran's knuck-u-ler program, saying diplomacy was the only option. Of course, he botched it and looked like a fool, which is why they showed the clip. Just a very timely clip.

Everything Obama does is evil. Pardoning the Thanksgiving Turkey is some sort of Afro-Muslim dog whistle showing unity with the Muslim Brotherhood. Forcing the State of the Union down our throats? Who does that negro think he is telling us the state if OUR country! I saw a great clip last week when the White House was lit up with rainbow lights. I think it was Huckabee up in arms that the President is so boldly anti-Christianity that he put a symbol of hatred towards Christians on the White House. He went on about how the Left would be up in arms if the White House ever had a symbol of Christianity in the White House, and how that would never happen. Of course, nobody cared to tell Huckabee about the White House Christmas Tree which used to have a TV special devoted to it or the annual Rose Garden Easter Egg Hunt. Poor oppressed Christians.
-Pruitt
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

This is the first time he has officially declared for President and he did file, at least the preliminary forms, with the FEC this week.
forbes.com wrote:Donald Trump filed his personal financial disclosure with the Federal Elections Commission today, claiming 2014 income of $362 million. His campaign also said that his net worth “is in excess of TEN BILLION DOLLARS.”

One month ago when the real estate tycoon announced he was running for the Republican presidential nomination, he claimed his net worth was $8.8 billion–a figure that Forbes believes was exaggerated by 100%. Now Trump’s campaign is saying that figure was too low.

“Mr. Trump’s net worth has increased since the more than one year old financial statement produced at his presidential announcement,” the campaign release states. “Real estate values in New York City, San Francisco, Miami and many other places where he owns property have gone up considerably during this period of time. His debt is a very small percentage of value, and at very low interest rates. As of this date, Mr. Trump’s net worth is in excess of TEN BILLION DOLLARS.”
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Trump just shit all over John McCain's military service.

“He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured.”

Howard, is your toaster plugged in?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Johnnie wrote:Trump just shit all over John McCain's military service.

“He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured.”

When Rick Perry sounds absolutely reasonable in slamming something you say, it shows you have made a huge blunder
from washingtonpost.com wrote:"Donald Trump should apologize immediately for attacking Senator McCain and all veterans who have protected and served our country," Perry said in a statement. "As a veteran and an American, I respect Sen. McCain because he volunteered to serve his country. I cannot say the same of Mr. Trump. His comments have reached a new low in American politics. His attack on veterans make him unfit to be Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Armed Forces, and he should immediately withdraw from the race for President."
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

You know things are going well when Rick Perry asks you to withdraw.

The Ted Cruz "don't mind me I'm just hanging around here near Trump" act is interesting. His campaign strategist is from KC and is known for his, uh, campaign style. The guess is he's going to position Cruz as the guy for the disaffected minority to go for when Trump falls from the scene.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Trump is clearly off his meds. I've seen links to some of the shit he is saying on Twitter. Either someone hacked into his account, or his team needs to change his password and take it over. He called McCain a dummy because he graduated last in his class from Annapolis, then called Michelle Malkin a dummy. Malkin is a dummy, but why set off a loudmouth Conservative blowhard who is definitely going to strike back. As for the McCain comments, what an asshole. My heroes aren't guys who got 4 deferments because they had a wealthy and connected father. Fuck off, Trump. McCain was shot down in a plane, avoiding capture is a little difficult when that happens.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:As for the McCain comments, what an asshole. My heroes aren't guys who got 4 deferments because they had a wealthy and connected father. Fuck off, Trump. McCain was shot down in a plane, avoiding capture is a little difficult when that happens.
Its a good thing that Republicans won't just sit by and let a candidate trash someone's war record....

And somewhere Tammy Duckworth and Max Cleland are nodding their heads in agreement...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Love it!

I can't remember how McCain reacted to the slanders thrown at Kerry. Did he defend him, or did he just it back?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:Trump just shit all over John McCain's military service.

I like marines that weren't killed in action!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Chris Christie has completely transformed himself for the Presidential run. Dude used to say reasonable things.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote:Love it!

I can't remember how McCain reacted to the slanders thrown at Kerry. Did he defend him, or did he just it back?
From CNN
But that outrage was missing ten years ago, when a political group attacked another Vietnam veteran -- then-Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic nominee who sought to unseat Bush's brother, the incumbent president, during the 2004 election.

Instead, Bush praised Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, the group that lobbed attacks questioning Kerry's service record in Vietnam -- attacks McCain unequivocally criticized in 2004 as "dishonest and dishonorable."

When his campaign was asked if Jeb Bush saw a double standard, a spokesman rejected the premise.

"A thank you letter to Col. Bud Day, Medal of Honor recipient and Air Force Cross recipient, twice captured as a POW, is not in any way analogous to condemning Donald Trump's slanderous attack on John McCain," said Bush campaign spokesman Tim Miller.

In a letter to the head of that group obtained by CNN, Bush thanked Col. George Day for his "unwavering support" and thanked the group for "their willingness to stand up against John Kerry."
I love that...the spokesman saying "hey...that was totally different!". Why? Because ShutUp!, that's why...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

McCain used to be a decent guy.

And Bush... well, he is a Bush.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

They could go back just a bit further to the Bush campaign actively trashing McCain and calling him a traitor.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't like Christie and never liked Christie and never will like Christie ... but there was a time like 3 years ago where I thought he would have been a very reasonable centrist candidate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:I don't like Christie and never liked Christie and never will like Christie ... but there was a time like 3 years ago where I thought he would have been a very reasonable centrist candidate.

Indeed. Hannity has brought him down into the much with the rest of them. At least Trump doesn't go off of a script.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:I don't like Christie and never liked Christie and never will like Christie ... but there was a time like 3 years ago where I thought he would have been a very reasonable centrist candidate.

"Reasonable" and "Centrist" don't play in the Republican Primaries....look at Gov. Kasich. One would think that a 9 term congressman, former FoxNews host, 2 term Governor from Ohio, would be a major player for the GOP nomination. But he doesn't stand a chance.

Bring on the crazy!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is the reason as simple as the GOP knowing that if they unbundle religion and economics, the religious might look at the economics?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Trump just read Lindsey Graham's phone number out loud
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote:Trump just read Lindsey Graham's phone number out loud
Jesus! http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... r-on-stage

I hate everything about Trump. The worship of money, the bluster, the lies, the cheesiness marketed as class etc, etc.

But man, I love this stuff.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Good piece.
Trump has taken trolling to the next level by being willing to offend members of his own party.

Although, it really isn't his party - not like the other guys whose very livelihood stems from this being their party.

Go Donald Go!

If anyone can get their hands on a Trump 2016 bumper sticker or mug, please let me know. Just visited his website and couldn't find any swag for sale. But I did find this piece - https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news/trump ... ic-support

I have never heard of the news network that did the polling ("One America News") and am a long time rejector of political polls. So the fact that...
With polled Hispanics, Presidential Candidate Trump received 31.4%, higher than his overall performance of 27.7%. The only other Presidential Candidate to receive double digit support by Hispanics is Scott Walker with 11.4%.
Makes me laugh. But don;t be surprised if the "lamestream" media starts citing elements of this poll.

Great entertainment...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: "Reasonable" and "Centrist" don't play in the Republican Primaries....look at Gov. Kasich. One would think that a 9 term congressman, former FoxNews host, 2 term Governor from Ohio, would be a major player for the GOP nomination. But he doesn't stand a chance.

Bring on the crazy!
Or, in Kasich's case....Bring On The Bacon!