GRILLZ!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

GRILLZ!

Post by cerrano »

so, i've had a weber genesis gas grill that has served me very well for 8 years and will likely serve me well for at least another 8 if not more. no problems whatsoever with it. could heat up a little quicker, but holds its temp very well.

but i want more. i'm really interested in smoking things like brisket, ribs, sausages, etc, and the gas grill aint built for that. so i think my two options are the following.

1. buy a dedicated smoker like the pit barrel cooker for like $300, or...

2. get a weber kettle grill and a smokenator which will cost like $250 or so total.

but i think i'm having trouble pulling the trigger on option 2 because i feel like i'm making my gas grill superfluous. anybody else have both in their back yard? if so, what do you still use the gas grill for?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d »

I'll have a Smokey Mountain next to my Genesis as soon as I can think of a good reason to drop $300 on it so my vote would be dedicated smoker, especially since you already have the gas.

(Semi-related: Feeding the Fire (by the dude who owns a few Brooklyn restaurants including Fette Sau, which has a Philadelphia outpost), is a really good open-fire grilling cookbook.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

cerrano wrote:so, i've had a weber genesis gas grill that has served me very well for 8 years and will likely serve me well for at least another 8 if not more. no problems whatsoever with it. could heat up a little quicker, but holds its temp very well.

but i want more. i'm really interested in smoking things like brisket, ribs, sausages, etc, and the gas grill aint built for that. so i think my two options are the following.

1. buy a dedicated smoker like the pit barrel cooker for like $300, or...

2. get a weber kettle grill and a smokenator which will cost like $250 or so total.

but i think i'm having trouble pulling the trigger on option 2 because i feel like i'm making my gas grill superfluous. anybody else have both in their back yard? if so, what do you still use the gas grill for?
I'll sell you my Weber kettle grill if you come to Cleveland to pick it up. It's in good shape and has a cover!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A wise man once told me the following.
* When you are young you buy a charcoal grill. You love it because you know it is real and the food tastes better
* You make or buy a charcoal starter because you really don't want to go gas, but time pressure is starting to hit.
* Then you have kids and you go to gas because it is just easier, heats faster, etc. You accept that gas taste is not the same, but you still love it.
* You try to do more with your gas grill by accessorizing (getting a wood box, upgrade the grates, etc)
* You have time again and you mature to a smoker (he specifically said the little green egg), but I get what he is saying.

I am currently still in bullet 3 land.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sam's Club has been running a deal on a combo smoker/charcoal grill/gas grill all summer. I almost bought it but then i punched a hole in my TV so saving that money for a new Bar TV.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Sam's Club has been running a deal on a combo smoker/charcoal grill/gas grill all summer. I almost bought it but then i punched a hole in my TV so saving that money for a new Bar TV.
Steelers let you down, eh?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:
A_B wrote:Sam's Club has been running a deal on a combo smoker/charcoal grill/gas grill all summer. I almost bought it but then i punched a hole in my TV so saving that money for a new Bar TV.
Steelers let you down, eh?
Good chance it was Cat related, at least.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I have a gas grill, a little R2D2 smoker, and will soon (I hope) have a bourbon barrel smoker (just have to find time to cut a barrel and assemble the pieces.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah man....I couldn't believe that Danarious was not the father, either.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

so i am gathering that few maintain separate charcoal and gas grills. i think the smoker might be the way to go. more versatile for smoking and i can still do steaks and other shit over the coals when i'm not hanging ribs or other meats. i'm not handy enough to build my own smoker, but those r2d2 smokers look pretty damn cool.

Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

What am I supposed to do with this picture of my teeth now?
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I have a charcoal kettle grill and a propane smoker...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can I swap out the manifold myself or am I going to blow myself up?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Can I swap out the manifold myself or am I going to blow myself up?
I mean, I'd recommend unhooking the propane personally. But you do you.

I've replaced pretty much every part of a grill except that, so I imagine most people could with some time and patience. There's probably a youtube vid somewhere.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I replaced one on a grill that we had way back when. Not that difficult, but you will scrape the shit out of knuckles multiple times.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

In on this. Got one for Xmas and it's getting warm enough outside to start using it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Smoking knows no season.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I got an electric smoker for Christmas and I have become a big fan of it. much easier to cook in winter.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

What smoker did you get? I'm in the market, to lazy to look into options yet. Everything I've seen in stores looks like cheap crap, except the Green Egg, but it seems so expensive. Worth it?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Read Meathead's book or visit his website.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm

What smoker did you get? I'm in the market, to lazy to look into options yet. Everything I've seen in stores looks like cheap crap, except the Green Egg, but it seems so expensive. Worth it?
I love my knock off egg, purchased on Amazon for less than $300. Char-griller Akorn.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mid-size Weber Smokey Mountain. Haven't heard any complaints from the people who have one.

(I loved the idea of the Egg but it would have been a singular grill out back and I need the gas for the quick dinner option.)
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 am

I love my knock off egg, purchased on Amazon for less than $300. Char-griller Akorn.
Have the Akorn too. Haven't quite gotten good enough with it to trust an overnight brisket smoke yet. Feels like I have to tweak the vents every hour or so to hold temp. I've read you can do some mods, like lining the seal with felt for a better fit. Have you done anything like that?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 am

Have the Akorn too. Haven't quite gotten good enough with it to trust an overnight brisket smoke yet. Feels like I have to tweak the vents every hour or so to hold temp. I've read you can do some mods, like lining the seal with felt for a better fit. Have you done anything like that?
I haven't. I got it last summer, and have probably used it 15-20 times or so. I'm starting to get better at regulating the temperature on my own, but most of my cooks have been fast cooks, not slower. Contemplated getting one of those electronic thermostats that regulates it for you, but it costs as much, or more, as the grill did! Granted, the grill was a steal, but I can't get around that.

When you slow cook, do you get it cranked all the way up then throttle it down to your desired temp? What thermometers are you using now?

Also, I see that Cigar City Brewing is now available in Arizona.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(I have nothing to add except I got the nice thermoworks one here because someone had a gift card to the local kitchen store!!!)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My (I guess shitty) grill completed the process of rusting out last summer, but my wife (or maybe one of the kids?) won a Miller Lite branded grill at a raffle so I'll give that a try before buying something else.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am
(He lives in Colorado now.)

I haven't done the overnight smoke yet, typically I just start early, early morning and mix in coffee with beer. Only had one instance that it got a wee bit hot..tried to to stoke up and take a mid-morning nap.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am
I haven't. I got it last summer, and have probably used it 15-20 times or so. I'm starting to get better at regulating the temperature on my own, but most of my cooks have been fast cooks, not slower. Contemplated getting one of those electronic thermostats that regulates it for you, but it costs as much, or more, as the grill did! Granted, the grill was a steal, but I can't get around that.

When you slow cook, do you get it cranked all the way up then throttle it down to your desired temp? What thermometers are you using now?

When I slow cook, I bring it up slowly. Start closing the vents some around 150ish, then close them a little more gradually as it approaches 225. I find it's much easier to allow the temp to climb than it is to bring it down. I do pork shoulders fairly often and they are pretty forgiving if the temp gets a little higher than I want. Haven't done a brisket on it yet, but will be doing that this summer.

I'm in Colorado now (just never got around to trying to get my username changed here), but no fear. Cigar City is available here too!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am I got an electric smoker for Christmas and I have become a big fan of it. much easier to cook in winter.
A couple of questions.

1. Which model did you get?
2. Can you use an electric smoker indoors, or does it still need to be in a well-ventilated location?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Sabo wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am I got an electric smoker for Christmas and I have become a big fan of it. much easier to cook in winter.
A couple of questions.

1. Which model did you get?
2. Can you use an electric smoker indoors, or does it still need to be in a well-ventilated location?
gotta use it outdoors. the electric will replace charcoal or gas, but you're still producing smoke to flavor and preserve the meat.

i ended up going with the pit barrel cooker.

it's more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of smoker but what appealed to me was that you can hang meat in there so it produces killer ribs. (the smoked prime rib at xmas was a hit.) i also liked that it came with a grate that allows you to do everything else like steaks, brats, etc... the downside is that the cooking temp is closer to 280-290 and most recipes call for a smoke in the 225 range. i have done a couple of briskets, but they never get that juicy on the pit barrel.

i've had it for two years now and have enjoyed it, but i think i will have to take a look at the akorn or kamodo joe soon. i want something where i can control the temp. and play around with the dampers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm it's more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of smoker but what appealed to me was that you can hang meat in there so it produces killer ribs. (the smoked prime rib at xmas was a hit.) i also liked that it came with a grate that allows you to do everything else like steaks, brats, etc... the downside is that the cooking temp is closer to 280-290 and most recipes call for a smoke in the 225 range. i have done a couple of briskets, but they never get that juicy on the pit barrel.

i've had it for two years now and have enjoyed it, but i think i will have to take a look at the akorn or kamodo joe soon. i want something where i can control the temp. and play around with the dampers.
Glad you posted this, because I was looking at the same one. It looks cool having the meat hanging in an industrial barrel, but I want lower heat capabilities. Also, do the fat and juices fall off the meat when it's hanging?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 pm
cerrano wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm it's more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of smoker but what appealed to me was that you can hang meat in there so it produces killer ribs. (the smoked prime rib at xmas was a hit.) i also liked that it came with a grate that allows you to do everything else like steaks, brats, etc... the downside is that the cooking temp is closer to 280-290 and most recipes call for a smoke in the 225 range. i have done a couple of briskets, but they never get that juicy on the pit barrel.

Glad you posted this, because I was looking at the same one. It looks cool having the meat hanging in an industrial barrel, but I want lower heat capabilities. Also, do the fat and juices fall off the meat when it's hanging?
they do, but those juices "inspire" the fire, if you will. hanging the meat vertically allows the smoke to envelop it and that smoke can be aided by those juices. it self-regulates so that you don't get sustained flare-ups that burn shit to a crisp.

here's the review on amazing ribs. they do seem to like it. i never hung the brisket, but they mention it in the review.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I've got a Primo smoker (BGE closest competitor), and absolutely love it. When weather is good we use it ~3 nights a week. It's flexible, so I use it for quick cooks like steak, or long smokes like pork shoulder. We haven't done a brisket yet, but only because my steaks kick ass so when we want beef that's what we do. I reversed seared some filet's on Sunday and they were fantastic. Always amazes me what you can do with salt pepper garlic and a little smoke.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

cerrano wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pmgotta use it outdoors. the electric will replace charcoal or gas, but you're still producing smoke to flavor and preserve the meat.
Yeah, that was a dumb question. Thanks for answering it gently instead of ridiculing me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Set it up last night just in time for a big storm that necessitated moving it right to the basement. I'm fired up.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 am
cerrano wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pmgotta use it outdoors. the electric will replace charcoal or gas, but you're still producing smoke to flavor and preserve the meat.
Yeah, that was a dumb question. Thanks for answering it gently instead of ridiculing me.
Masterbuilt -- Lowe's black Friday if I remember the origin story correctly

I'll probably use my weber far more when it gets warmer, but I've loved it simply because I'm terrible at temperature regulation when it's cold. and this takes that variable out of the question.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Between kid stuff and family visits and rain every goddamn weekend, this past summer was not great for smoking but I’m on my third weekend in the last month or so and it’s awesome. So far done whole chickens, wings, brisket and now wings again. Just sitting by a fire is really nice. Also makes me want a regular charcoal grill.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm Between kid stuff and family visits and rain every goddamn weekend, this past summer was not great for smoking but I’m on my third weekend in the last month or so and it’s awesome. So far done whole chickens, wings, brisket and now wings again. Just sitting by a fire is really nice. Also makes me want a regular charcoal grill.
you can probably score a weber at a big box store for ~$100 this weekend
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I have a Weber charcoal grill, chimney starter, charcoal and a cover for sale if you come to my house and pick it up.