2. All In The Family
3. I Love Lucy
4. The Honeymooners
5. Phil Silvers/Sgt. Bilko
6. The Simpsons
7. Sanford and Sons
8. Taxi
9. Gilligan's Island
10. The Beverly Hillbillies (greatest theme song ever)
11. Married With Children
12. 30 Rock
Add in The (original) Odd Couple. Plus, Mork & Mindy. Mine would be close to this.
I whiffed on The Odd Couple. Great show. Insert somewhere 7 or 8 on my list.

Like everyone it seems, I loved early Robin Williams. But I never saw much in this TV show the few times I caught it. Perhaps I missed something. Or he may have been held back by the constraints of the sitcom format.
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Best Sit-Coms of All Time... Go!

Post by Pruitt »

Mork and Mindy was from the Gary Marshall sit-com factory (home of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley and a few others).

Maybe it's an age thing, but to me, these shows exemplify the worst of 70s comedy. Witless, predictable and from the old school set up, response, punchline style of writing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote:Mork and Mindy was from the Gary Marshall sit-com factory (home of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley and a few others).

Maybe it's an age thing, but to me, these shows exemplify the worst of 70s comedy. Witless, predictable and from the old school set up, response, punchline style of writing.

What do you know about writing for televis......wait. Never mind.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote:Maybe it's an age thing, but to me, these shows exemplify the worst of 70s comedy. Witless, predictable and from the old school set up, response, punchline style of writing.
Sooo ... the template for Big Bang Theory?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'll get killed for this, but I think at least the first 5 seasons of How I Met Your Mother belong on the list. The show had a weak ending but I don't think it's enough to diminish how strong the beginnings were.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote:
I am criticizing the format and the shows based upon my taste. (And as the latest shows I am working on are a preschool show about a spunky girl and her Grandmother and a reboot of "Inspector Gadget," I really shouldn't be criticizing a comedy legend like Garry Marshall. But I will anyway...)

And yep, the template for "Big Bang Theory," "Friends" and hundreds of other shows. Actually, the template was set up back in the 50s.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:
A_B wrote:
I am criticizing the format and the shows based upon my taste. (And as the latest shows I am working on are a preschool show about a spunky girl and her Grandmother and a reboot of "Inspector Gadget," I really shouldn't be criticizing a comedy legend like Garry Marshall. But I will anyway...)

And yep, the template for "Big Bang Theory," "Friends" and hundreds of other shows. Actually, the template was set up back in the 50s.
Yep, the multi-camera sitcom is one of Hollywood's traditions of doing the same thing over and over again.

When "Malcolm in the Middle" debuted, the industry hyped that to incredible levels in large part because it was a single-cam sit-com. And now, who cares? Lesson: Be the first to do something if you're going to do it competently. When first is combined with competent, it becomes a breakthrough. When first is combined with worse than competent, the "first" part is viewed as why it failed, eliminating people from from doing the new thing again (for a while, anyway).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well, when you only have two options - Single-cam and multi-cam - with varying degrees of minor changes (laughtracks, live audience, live) you really pay homage to the past even if you don't mean to. Sure, there's probably coming a time when we get a real first-person show (Mitchell and Webb did a lot of it on Peep Show, but it wasn't exclusive for the most part except for the times when we were inside their heads) and probably at some point we'll have a show completely shot with iphones like that Tangerine Movie that will make everyone at home think they can be the next Chuck Lorre. But when you're fitting your craft into a little box it's near impossible to fully think outside of it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote:I'll get killed for this, but I think at least the first 5 seasons of How I Met Your Mother belong on the list. The show had a weak ending but I don't think it's enough to diminish how strong the beginnings were.
I agree, but I think its a very narrow age range that this appealed to.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Bensell wrote:In no particular order, my pre-1990 favorites that I mostly saw in reruns or on TV Land:

The Andy Griffith Show
Mary Tyler Moore
All in the Family
The Jeffersons
Newhart - "Hi, I'm Larry; this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl."
M*A*S*H
Cheers
Golden Girls
Night Court

Wait. Wow. I totally forgot the first Newhart and then the one Bensell is talking about here. How could I have forgotten those shows? So, so good.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:
BSF21 wrote:I'll get killed for this, but I think at least the first 5 seasons of How I Met Your Mother belong on the list. The show had a weak ending but I don't think it's enough to diminish how strong the beginnings were.
I agree, but I think its a very narrow age range that this appealed to.
I'm an old bastard and I loved it. Hell I'm going to check Jim Gaffigan's sitcom because Victoria is on it!

1. MASH
2. Cheers
3. Seinfeld
4. HIMYM
5. Archer
6. Brady Bunch (not because it was really that great, but damn did I love this show)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DC47 wrote: 11. Married With Children
I think this show gets overlooked for its significance. It did almost everything Roseanne got credit for before Roseanne did it. There was a lot of stupid silliness, but I think it was one of the earliest shows where the writers had the characters do whatever they thought would be funny, reality be damned. And based on later success, the casting director did a great job. And then there was Kelly Bundy, who was dressed more conservatively than most of today's characters on the Disney Channel.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My top 5:

1. Cheers
2. Seinfeld
3. MASH
4.Parks & Rec
5. Big Bang (I make no apologies)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote:
1. MASH
I'm a HUGE fan of MASH, but generally only the first years...the "HenryBlake/TrapperJohn/FrankBurns" seasons. The sappy-ness factor went way up when they moved into the "Potter/Winchester/Honeycutt" years.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
1. MASH
I'm a HUGE fan of MASH, but generally only the first years...the "HenryBlake/TrapperJohn/FrankBurns" seasons. The sappy-ness factor went way up when they moved into the "Potter/Winchester/Honeycutt" years.
The Potter/BJ/Burns years were the best IMO, but they were only slightly better than the time frame you described.

Honestly, the show went downhill when BJ grew the mustache.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Parks and Rec deserves as much of a nod as The Office if not moreso. That cast was incredible.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If I were re-doing my list I'd put Parks and Rec in there.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:If I were re-doing my list I'd put Parks and Rec in there.
Just wait 10 years for the reboot/reunion version of this thread, available exclusively on Netflix.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Every now and then I'll catch an old episode of All in the Family, which was a great show as well as groundbreaking. While I don't think it holds up great, I enjoy it and laugh, maybe out of nostalgia, maybe because Carroll O'Connor was so incredible. Archie Bunker's interactions with black people, particularly Lionel and the Sammy Davis Jr. episode were fantastic.

But that is just a preamble to introduce Norman Lear's true masterpiece, one for the other old folks. This show was decades ahead of its time.

And of course, the spinoffs, Fernwood 2nite and America 2nite
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Every now and then I'll catch an old episode of All in the Family, which was a great show as well as groundbreaking. While I don't think it holds up great, I enjoy it and laugh, maybe out of nostalgia, maybe because Carroll O'Connor was so incredible. Archie Bunker's interactions with black people, particularly Lionel and the Sammy Davis Jr. episode were fantastic.

But that is just a preamble to introduce Norman Lear's true masterpiece, one for the other old folks. This show was decades ahead of its time.

And of course, the spinoffs, Fernwood 2nite and America 2nite
I watched all those shows. I enjoyed Fernwood Tonight and America Tonight much more than MHMH.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112 wrote:
I'm an old bastard and I loved it. Hell I'm going to check Jim Gaffigan's sitcom because Victoria is on it!

1. MASH
2. Cheers
3. Seinfeld
4. HIMYM
5. Archer
6. Brady Bunch (not because it was really that great, but damn did I love this show)

God damn it I forgot P&R (probably number 3 for me.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'll raise a Richard Pryor written episode:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I was watching a Sanford episode featuring Aunt Esther when you posted that. Great stuff. I had no idea Pryor wrote for that show. Hard to believe. That was a breakthrough. Not too likely that Lenny Bruce was invited to write for The Honeymooners.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I think he only worked on the show for a short while, only a few episodes. Wasn't a very reliable employee.

ETA: the internet sez only two episodes, co-wrote with Paul Mooney.

ETAA: and the episode I referenced, only Mooney is credited. (So, Pryor probably wrote it anyway.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Probably had to use a fake name to work in TV. Contracts and such. I suspect he was "Ron Howard."

Tonight I've been listening to the Howlin' Wolf London sessions. Haven't heard all of this in a couple decades, just a cut here and there on Wolf collections. It's amusing that the drummer on one number is still credited as "Richie." Even in the early 70s -- just a little before Sanford -- it was widely known that this was Ringo Starr. Lot's of pseudonyms back in the day. Paul McCartney was "Bernard Webb" on some non-Beatles writing credits. Elton John laid down a piano track on an early 70s Jackson Browne album as "Rockaday Johnny.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote:
DC47 wrote: 11. Married With Children
I think this show gets overlooked for its significance. It did almost everything Roseanne got credit for before Roseanne did it. There was a lot of stupid silliness, but I think it was one of the earliest shows where the writers had the characters do whatever they thought would be funny, reality be damned. And based on later success, the casting director did a great job. And then there was Kelly Bundy, who was dressed more conservatively than most of today's characters on the Disney Channel.
Ha, you are right. A lot of those Disney shows have 15 yo girls dressed like Kelly Bundy. I recently tried to watch an episode of Married With Children, and it does not hold up at all. It was edgy to say the least at the time. How many shows at that time directly revolved around and openly discussed sex? The slutty daughter, the virgin son constantly trying to get laid, Peg summoning Al for sex, and Al stumbling down the stairs looking disheveled and disgusted. Even the dog made sex jokes.
A_B wrote: (Mitchell and Webb did a lot of it on Peep Show, but it wasn't exclusive for the most part except for the times when we were inside their heads)
Inside their heads? How could we forget Herman's Head?

I really enjoyed HIMYM. Despite being in the next phase of life. That probably was a major factor in why I liked the show so much. The characters were sort of living the life I just left, so it was very nostalgic. Looking it up, the show started the same year I got married and moved out of NYC to the 'burbs. All the jokes bashing NJ or moving to Long Island really hit home. Bad pun not intended.

I watched All in the Family not too long ago, and I still loved it. I didn't fully get it as a kid, but it was a great base for understanding the changing societal mindset regarding race and politics, as well as generational tensions caused by the changes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:I'll raise a Richard Pryor written episode:

That was awesome. I LOLed at work.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Showing my age, here. When Fox was a brand new network they had an awesome Sunday night lineup. Not sure of the order, but they had:

It's Garry Shandling's Show - seriously underrated...
Married with Children - which was great in its early days, then went off the rails...
Get a Life - very funny show in which Chris Elliott played a 30 year-old paperboy
Herman's Head - ahead of its time!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ill +1 Garry Shandling show. Not sure if it cracks the top 10 but was innovative, if not influential. Dont really recall many shows like that since.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Seems like Super Dave Osborne was somehow in that lineup too.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote:Ill +1 Garry Shandling show. Not sure if it cracks the top 10 but was innovative, if not influential. Dont really recall many shows like that since.
I'd be curious to watch it again. I watched it at the time, remember it being a bit weird, but the only specific thing I remember is the theme song. The opening theme to Gary's Show. The song that you hear when you watch the credits. I liked it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The Sybian wrote:I'd be curious to watch it again. I watched it at the time, remember it being a bit weird, but the only specific thing I remember is the theme song. The opening theme to Gary's Show. The song that you hear when you watch the credits. I liked it.
This is virtually my exact same experience with that show. It was basically a PG version of The Larry Sanders Show, and I didn't "get" it at the time. Probably worth revisiting.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I wanted to mention Get A Life, because I loved it, and the great Bob Elliot was in it, but man was it a stupid show.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Forgot to mention Fawlty Towers.

Only 12 episodes, but not a weak one in the bunch.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

howard wrote:I wanted to mention Get A Life, because I loved it, and the great Bob Elliot was in it, but man was it a stupid show.
But how great was Chris Elliott?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Just the best. I dig his most recent show, Eagleheart

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My productivity today just got ruined.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!