2016 Presidential Race

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Post by Sabo »

That banner needs more eagles.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Don't know the guy, but from what I've heard, he seems reasonable.

But looking at his rally, I;'d say it looks like he's got the classic Republican demographics behind him.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote:Don't know the guy, but from what I've heard, he seems reasonable.

But looking at his rally, I;'d say it looks like he's got the classic Republican demographics behind him.
Kasich is in his second term as Ohio's governor. He's done some very good things with the budget, and unemployment has dropped considerably since his election. But that has more to do with the expansion of fracking in eastern Ohio than anything else. He went after some of Ohio's unions about five or six years ago but it went to the state ballot and it was widely rejected. His re-election was a no doubter because the Democrats put out a candidate who had almost no name recognition outside of northeast Ohio (Kasich won 86 of Ohio's 88 counties when he was re-elected in 2014).

He's also deeply religious and has tried his best to cut funding to Planned Parenthood and make it much harder to get an abortion. But other than that, I really couldn't tell you much more about the man.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Don't know the guy, but from what I've heard, he seems reasonable.

Kasich is in his second term as Ohio's governor. He's done some very good things with the budget, and unemployment has dropped considerably since his election. But that has more to do with the expansion of fracking in eastern Ohio than anything else. He went after some of Ohio's unions about five or six years ago but it went to the state ballot and it was widely rejected. His re-election was a no doubter because the Democrats put out a candidate who had almost no name recognition outside of northeast Ohio (Kasich won 86 of Ohio's 88 counties when he was re-elected in 2014).

He's also deeply religious and has tried his best to cut funding to Planned Parenthood and make it much harder to get an abortion. But other than that, I really couldn't tell you much more about the man.
See, to me, that's enough for me to brand him as a right wing asshole.

But in this field, he seems positively Rockefellerian.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote:See, to me, that's enough for me to brand him as a right wing asshole.
When he was in the U.S. House, he was one of 42 Republicans to cross party lines and vote for the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, so he's not *that* far right.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:
Pruitt wrote:See, to me, that's enough for me to brand him as a right wing asshole.
When he was in the U.S. House, he was one of 42 Republicans to cross party lines and vote for the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, so he's not *that* far right.
Amazing and disturbing that your statement is 100% true.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kasich is the type of guy that could just as easily have been elected as a Democrat in most southern states.* Fiscal conservative, overly reliant on religion when it comes to social issues. Willing to reach across the aisle to get things done when prudent/expedient.

Frankly, he was one of the few guys in Gingrich's leadership that wasn't being a total dick as chairman of the Budget committee. He played a key role in implementing measures that led, ultimately, to the balanced budget amendment.

Just as is the case with welfare reform, a lot of people pumping up Clinton's legacy forget/ignore that it took Republican leadership and compromise to push that stuff through. The fact that Clinton is seen as some liberal icon today is fucking bizarre to me... I understand it, but having worked on and around The Hill from 1992 to around 2002... Liberals were ready to hang that dude in effigy by the time he left office.

Sorry, derailment complete.

* ETA - Back in the 80s when he first got into the game. Not sure this would hold up today, for obvious reasons.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nice edit of Walker's announcement.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And away we go....

I think Santorum dropped the first Reagan.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I read this far into the transcript before realizing that the Donald wasn't there, so the entertainment value wouldn't make it worth my while.
MR. SANTORUM: I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS ADMINISTRATION IS SERIOUS ABOUT PROTECTING MEN AND WOMEN.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

They didn't invite Trump?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gunpowder wrote:They didn't invite Trump?
Trump didn't attend because it was sponsored by the Manchester Union-Leader, which has looked unfavorably at the Donald's campaign...
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Trump didn't attend because it was sponsored by the Manchester Union-Leader, which has looked unfavorably at the Donald's campaign...
Being too much of an obnoxious reactionary asshole for that paper to like you is quite an achievement.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Another folksy viral video attempt to show us what a swell guy Ted Cruz is. Guns and bacon!

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The level of discourse among those people is absolutely terrifying.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:The level of discourse among those people is absolutely terrifying.
Happy to be an outsider - so I can enjoy the Republican campaign fully.

Great column by Maureen Dowd this weekend. Safe to say that she is not a Hillary fan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/opini ... rc=me&_r=0
A pair of team captains craving a championship doing something surreptitious that they never needed to do to win.

It turns out Tom Brady and Hillary Clinton have more in common than you would think.

Brady had his assistant terminate his Samsung phone the day before he talked to an investigator about Deflategate. Hillary set up a home-brew private server, overruling the concerns of her husband’s aides, and erased 30,000 emails before the government had a chance to review them to see if any were classified.

Brady and Hillary, wanting to win at all costs and believing the rules don’t apply to them, are willing to take the hit of people not believing them, calculating that there is no absolute proof.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Great column by Maureen Dowd this weekend. Safe to say that she is not a Hillary fan.
Please don't use the words "great" and "Maureen Dowd" in the same sentence. She has a borderline irrational hatred of all things Clinton. Does anyone who read that really think that a) Beau Biden, on his deathbed, begged his father to take on Hillary?, and b) that somehow, someone would leak that to Dowd?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Drew Magery, from Deadspin, hangs out with Trump supporters in Iowa...
I saw the hair first. It arrived in two parts: first the Turtle Wax-ed strands that run along both sides of his scalp, then the champagne glitter yarn kit perched top. I’d never seen Trump before, and the hair was all that I’d hoped for, and more. And after announcing his intention to molest all of Iowa’s chief export (“I want to grab that corn like you’ve never seen—so beautiful”) the ride started up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Drew Magery, from Deadspin, hangs out with Trump supporters in Iowa...
I saw the hair first. It arrived in two parts: first the Turtle Wax-ed strands that run along both sides of his scalp, then the champagne glitter yarn kit perched top. I’d never seen Trump before, and the hair was all that I’d hoped for, and more. And after announcing his intention to molest all of Iowa’s chief export (“I want to grab that corn like you’ve never seen—so beautiful”) the ride started up.

Amusing read. I liked this sentence:

So far, I’d heard Trump compared—favorably—to a horse’s ass and to a laxative, and I began to imagine a Trump campaign poster that was just a big horse’s butthole spewing hot diarrhea.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Pruitt wrote: Great column by Maureen Dowd this weekend. Safe to say that she is not a Hillary fan.
Please don't use the words "great" and "Maureen Dowd" in the same sentence. She has a borderline irrational hatred of all things Clinton. Does anyone who read that really think that a) Beau Biden, on his deathbed, begged his father to take on Hillary?, and b) that somehow, someone would leak that to Dowd?
I did not know that about her - only see her column on Sunday.

The Biden stuff was a bit much... but I did enjoy the fact that she went after Brady and Kraft.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

No joy in Jindal, Perry or Fiorina headquarters.

They'll be taking Thursday night off. Fuckin' Jindal!
Gov. John Kasich of Ohio is in and former Gov. Rick Perry of Texas is out of Fox News’s Republican debate on Thursday night in Cleveland, officials with the network said Tuesday, resolving the mystery of which lower-polling candidates will make the cut for the first debate of the 2016 presidential contest.
The network announced the 10 candidates who will have a podium spot for the main forum, which is expected to draw wide national viewership and give an invaluable platform to the candidates involved.
The others included in the lineup are Donald J. Trump, former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, Ben Carson, former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote:No joy in Jindal, Perry or Fiorina headquarters.

Nope...they all get to go to the Junior Varsity/Kid's Table debate, earlier in the evening.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

Nope...they all get to go to the Junior Varsity/Kid's Table debate, earlier in the evening.
Good lord, they are the warm up act!

If Perry, Santorum, Graham, Jindal and the others had any pride, they would take turns quitting the race. Just go home.

Just looked at Fox's poll. 17 people in the running and 7% of respondents were Undecided. 1% chose None of the above (same as Perry and Jindal).

0% chose Graham and Pataki.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pol ... /fox-22473
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

I've been beating myself up all night for not making the obvious "NIT debate" joke...
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gov. John Kasich of Ohio is in and former Gov. Rick Perry of Texas is out of Fox News’s Republican debate on Thursday night in Cleveland, officials with the network said Tuesday, resolving the mystery of which lower-polling candidates will make the cut for the first debate of the 2016 presidential contest.
The network announced the 10 candidates who will have a podium spot for the main forum, which is expected to draw wide national viewership and give an invaluable platform to the candidates involved.
The others included in the lineup are Donald J. Trump, former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, Ben Carson, former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey.
I really thought Cleveland couldn't get worse.

Can we sacrifice Sabo for some sort of large scale "mishap" to happen while all these fucks are in the same place? Sorry bud. For the Horde.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Can we sacrifice Sabo for some sort of large scale "mishap" to happen while all these fucks are in the same place? Sorry bud. For the Horde.
Huge pop.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This is the first debate I've ever been excited for.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote:This is the first debate I've ever been excited for.
Yeah, it seems likely that somebody will do or say something crazy to draw attention to himself. Of course, Trump would have to be the betting favorite for that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Gunpowder wrote:This is the first debate I've ever been excited for.
Is this going to be on a bunch of channels or just foxnews?

The first Canadian leaders debate goes at the same time, and none of the parties could come to an agreement with the networks so it's essentially only on the web (and 1 basic cable channel).

If the Republican debate is on anything from CNN and bigger we'll get it here, it will crush the canadian debate. Probably tripple it or more.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

So, as the Swamp's token "Right Wing Asshole":

Do you think your position in life here in the USofA is better today than it was in 2007? Mine is, but that is really a byproduct of the Bakken Boom here in western ND. We will take a huge economic hit if the new coal regs are enforced.

Who are you guys voting for of the candidates currently running, either party? I would vote for Kaisich, but I am intrigued by Ben Carson, too.

Would Trump getting the Republican nomination shock you? It would me, but I think he can force some uncomfortable discussion to help voters identify the best Republican candidate.

What would happen if Trump were to decide to be a third party candidate? I think it would flip the election to the Dems, and I wouldn't doubt he will consider it if he gets bumped at the Convention.

Who will be the first train wreck during the debates? I think Cruz can be a bull in the china shop sometimes, so I'll pick him.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hell, I'm a Democrat and I'd probably vote for Kasich if he got the GOP nomination against Clinton. That's probably why that'll never happen in a million years.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Cruz is a good pick with Santorum and Perry out. Cruz has such tough luck here, he comes in as the "outsider, I'll get everyone in gear" guy and he's getting out-Cruzed by Trump.

Trump is gonna murder these dudes while they flip through talking points in their heads. They're gonna talk about Hillary while Trump hammers them.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:Hell, I'm a Democrat and I'd probably vote for Kasich if he got the GOP nomination against Clinton. That's probably why that'll never happen in a million years.

Yeah there's no way I'm voting for Clinton. If I had to vote either GOP and Republican, the only way I'd vote for Hillary would be if the GOP nominated Santorum. I think I'd even go Huckabee over her.

Well, maybe not.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

SportsDoc wrote:So, as the Swamp's token "Right Wing Asshole":

Do you think your position in life here in the USofA is better today than it was in 2007? Mine is, but that is really a byproduct of the Bakken Boom here in western ND. We will take a huge economic hit if the new coal regs are enforced.

Who are you guys voting for of the candidates currently running, either party? I would vote for Kaisich, but I am intrigued by Ben Carson, too.

Would Trump getting the Republican nomination shock you? It would me, but I think he can force some uncomfortable discussion to help voters identify the best Republican candidate.

What would happen if Trump were to decide to be a third party candidate? I think it would flip the election to the Dems, and I wouldn't doubt he will consider it if he gets bumped at the Convention.

Who will be the first train wreck during the debates? I think Cruz can be a bull in the china shop sometimes, so I'll pick him.

I was just worried for a brief minute that you had shot Cecil the lion.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

You know y'all can just vote Bernie, right?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think ultimately it comes down to Bush vs. one of Rubio/Walker vs. Paul. I'll start paying attention when it comes around to that.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

SportsDoc wrote:So, as the Swamp's token "Right Wing Asshole":

As the token Right-Wing Asshole, where do you derive your identification with the GOP? I know you've touched on your thoughts regarding social issues. Is that what drives it? I ask because my father is traditionally "Republican" but has embraced at least listening to my thoughts and maybe even making a shift more towards Liberterianism. I also had a near 2 hour "discussion" with his parents over the weekend who are both Fox News Republicans (and my grandfather, while a great man and someone I aspire to be like, has officially reached the brink between old-timey zenophobe and casual racist) and they just eat this shit up. Muslims are out to get us. ISIS is at our borders. Sharia Law is coming. Anyone who votes Democrat wants to take all my hard earned money and make sure it's distributed to all the crack addicts on the corner.

I can respect views of both sides on certain things. What makes you lean right where I lean left?

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

SportsDoc - I don't think anybody thinks you are an asshole, just for your political beliefs. At least I hope not! Swampers will always hammer each other into the boards, but then we'll have a drink together after the game.

But, your unwavering support for UND hockey, well... that's another thing... :^)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:SportsDoc - I don't think anybody thinks you are an asshole, just for your political beliefs. At least I hope not! Swampers will always hammer each other into the boards, but then we'll have a drink together after the game.

But, your unwavering support for UND hockey, well... that's another thing... :^)
I suppose I should note I only used that because he said it. SportsDoc is not an asshole. He gave me some very kind dental advice that I ignored several years ago because I'm a huge pussy.