MLB July 2015

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: MLB July 2015

Post by mister d »

Juan Castro was an infielder, Taveras was 437. 439 is Reggie Willits. 440 is actually a guessable name.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Nick Punto?

I know he's an infielder. I just wanted to throw his name out there because he fucking sucks.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Michael Bourn?
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ben Revere.
Joey Gathright.
Jackie Bradley, if he qualifies
Jordan Schaefer?
Was Lance Johnson retired by then or just too old for triples?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gath-RIGHT!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Bronto would have had that if he wasn't too big for this place now

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He doesn't like these types of players because they rarely turn left.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Ryan wrote:Was Lance Johnson retired by then or just too old for triples?
I considered him, but I think he retired in 2001 and didn't play much his last two years.

ETA: Retired in May 2000 and only had 18 at-bats. We went to the same high school, and when I clicked on our high school link on BR I found a teammate from my sophomore year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ye--001way" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So many Rays.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So he quit baseball to focus on the Flaming Lips?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:So he quit baseball to focus on the Flaming Lips?
He blew out his knee during running drills in practice and it ended his career. When he signed with the White Sox, he negotiated a deal where Chicago would pay for four years of college. From what I understand he went to the University of Cincinnati and got his degree. He was a smart kid and probably the most athletic teammate I ever had.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And his name is pretty similar to the Flaming Lips dude.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(This dude is the best I ever played against: http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... de02.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:(This dude is the best I ever played against: http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... de02.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Here's mine:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ad01.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This should really be a separate thread, huh?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here's mine:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... de01.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yadier Molina! ('s backup) (for a little while) (in Double A)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ylan001dan

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha. That dude succeeded my friend's brother as UNC's starting catcher.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wonder how nervous Houston is about Kazmir's massive splits. Every hitter at home against him is basically Jon Niese. Every hitter on the road is Adam Jones.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tigers bring Price back out for the 9th inning at 114 pitches. Why the hell not? It's his last game as a Tiger anyway?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Wonder how nervous Houston is about Kazmir's massive splits. Every hitter at home against him is basically Jon Niese. Every hitter on the road is Adam Jones.
Has anyone every tried to quantify how much an advantage all of the foul territory in Oakland is for pitchers in general? You'd have to assume a) if it is an advantage that b) some pitchers might benefit more than others.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So just on a "foul outs per PA" basis, Oakland is playing +27 outs this season versus league average. Split that to 13.5 per team over 60 GP and its an extra out every 4ish games.

OAK: +27
TOR: +24
NYM: +22
BOS: +18 (weird)
CHW: +12
TBR: +11
CIN: +8
HOU: +7
TEX: +4
BAL: +4
WSN: +4
PHI: +2
MIN: +1
ARI: +1
LAA: -1
NYY: -2
ATL: -2
CLE: -4
CHC: -4
DET: -5
SDP: -5
STL: -8
LAD: -8
KCR: -9
SEA: -9
MIA: -14
MIL: -15
COL: -16
SFG: -20
PIT: -23
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:Moron sends Price back out for the 9th inning at 114 pitches. Why the hell not? It's his last game as a Tiger anyway?
Alternate submission.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don't think I've ever started a no-hitter watch just from seeing the starting lineups before, but I did it tonight with the Mets.

And Kershaw is doing better than that. 5 innings.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

if you throw an 0-2 pitch within 3 feet of the strike zone to Granderson, you kind of deserve to give up a hit.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:So just on a "foul outs per PA" basis, Oakland is playing +27 outs this season versus league average. Split that to 13.5 per team over 60 GP and its an extra out every 4ish games.

BOS: +18 (weird)

PIT: -23

Very weird, since they each have very similar designs with respect to foul territory.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Ryan wrote:Bronto would have had that if he wasn't too big for this place now
I'm hurt
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

And also potentially hurt more given what the Royals traded for Cueto.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Brontoburglar wrote:And also potentially hurt more given what the Royals traded for Cueto.
I don't know much about Finnegan or Reed except what I just read, but Lamb seems like the real deal. But 3 strong lefties seems like a lot for a rent-a-player, even if Cueto is a top of the line starter.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If this sets the market for trading Price I like it.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Bensell wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:And also potentially hurt more given what the Royals traded for Cueto.
I don't know much about Finnegan or Reed except what I just read, but Lamb seems like the real deal. But 3 strong lefties seems like a lot for a rent-a-player, even if Cueto is a top of the line starter.
I think the Royals ultimately viewed Finnegan as a reliever. And if they did, then this is worth it. Lamb's velocity has come back (he was 87-88 a couple years ago) after Tommy John, but it was interesting that he didn't get a shot with the big league club at all this year with the Royals' starting pitching woes.

They didn't give up Mondesi or Manaea and no one from the big league club. I'm OK with it. I was not counting on them actually making a deal for a starter, but I think the green light got bright when Vargas got hurt.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good example today of why the A's suck. Down 4-3 to the Giants, top of the 9th. One out, two runners on, one in scoring position with guys on 1st and 2nd. So, Jason Smolinski tries to steal third. Why? But worse, Brett Lawrie is asleep on first and doesn't go to second. I assume Smolinski ran on his own, but Lawrie has to also go, so that even if the lead runner gets thrown out, they still have a runner in scoring position. Smolinski was (easily) thrown out at third, and Lawrie was still at first. So two down and nobody in scoring position. Yes, they lost.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Posey bookended that game with a caught stealing in the first as well as the ninth. He's hitting .328 after 4 for 4 today. And they are one back of the dodgers, after winning ten of the last eleven.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

nice suit
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:Posey bookended that game with a caught stealing in the first as well as the ninth. He's hitting .328 after 4 for 4 today. And they are one back of the dodgers, after winning ten of the last eleven.
Is there another contender for MVP besides Posey?
For me it would be Greinke and Harper. But the bias against pitchers, plus his low win total, probably excludes Greinke. The bias against players on non-contenders probably excludes Harper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DC47 wrote:
howard wrote:Posey bookended that game with a caught stealing in the first as well as the ninth. He's hitting .328 after 4 for 4 today. And they are one back of the dodgers, after winning ten of the last eleven.
Is there another contender for MVP besides Posey?
For me it would be Greinke and Harper. But the bias against pitchers, plus his low win total, probably excludes Greinke. The bias against players on non-contenders probably excludes Harper.
Harper and Goldschmidt are by far the two strongest candidates, both well ahead of Posey. Goldschmidt may suffer from the bias against players on losing teams, but the Nationals are in 1st. So as of today, I think Harper would win the award.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Why can't A-Rod be the mvp of both leagues? There's interleague play now.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Joe K wrote:Harper and Goldschmidt are by far the two strongest candidates, both well ahead of Posey. Goldschmidt may suffer from the bias against players on losing teams, but the Nationals are in 1st. So as of today, I think Harper would win the award.
Ah, you are so right about Harper. He's having a great year. Momentarily I thought he was having it for Philadelphia. It was a mid-season trade arranged by having a beer on top of painkillers tonight. I wonder if that explains the housepaint on the front of the car where I noticed a rusting stone ding this morning?

Still, I wouldn't make the award quite yet. First, Harper is always just one inning from being suspended for cursing out an umpire while running into an outfield wall and blowing a ligament. Second, Posey should get major credit for playing well at catcher and hitting like this. I'm no judge of his pitch framing and pitch-calling -- if he's good at that, perhaps he's even better than I estimate. Third, I think he'll get Good Citizenship credit for a few who don't find Harper deferential enough. I imagine Harper has a massive WAR gap right now. But that stat may not fully include all aspects of a catcher's defense, and certainly misses some of the GC credit.

I probably tend to underestimate Goldschmidt every year. By now I realize he's pretty good. Even a fine fielder, albeit at first. But he'll be hurt too much by a bias against players on non-contenders.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have a weird bias against Cueto, but it's hard to argue with that price unless Finnegan is one of the rare "he's probably a reliever" guys who pulls a Sale/Scherzer and actually starts.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote:Good example today of why the A's suck. Down 4-3 to the Giants, top of the 9th. One out, two runners on, one in scoring position with guys on 1st and 2nd. So, Jason Smolinski tries to steal third. Why?

To....score on a sac fly?

Lawrie I'll give you, but depending on the assumption of success stealing 3rd, that could be a smart play statistically.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse