Fantasy Football Advice 2016

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Fantasy Football Advice 2016

Post by Gunpowder »

Do you lose the round you picked them in?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Gunpowder wrote:Do you lose the round you picked them in?
Nope. A keeper is a keeper, regardless of where they are picked. And you can keep the same player year after year.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That seems bad if you aren't losing the round.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

You probably have to keep Brady as well, no?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can you lobby for PPR then keep Vereen?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:I could use some input on my keepers for the OFL league I'm in with DSafe and Sybian. The league is a non-PPR league with a snake draft. I have the second pick in the draft, and we can keep three players. The only for certain player I'm keeping is Jeremy Hill.

QBs: Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Johnny Manziel
RB: Jeremy Hill, Shane Vereen, Travaris Cadet, Knile Davis
WR: Vincent Jackson, Torrey Smith, Brandon LaFell, Taylor Gabriel, Pierre Garcon
TE: Julius Thomas
D: Detroit, Dallas
K: Steven Hauschka

What sucks the most is that the few talented players I have are in bad situations. Julius Thomas went from arguably the best QB in the league to one of the worst, and almost all of my receivers are either declining or have crap QBs throwing to them. It's so bad I'm considering keeping a defense as one of my keepers. That's pretty awful.
I'f trade Jeremy Hill and draft positions for Russell Wilson.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think you gotta keep Thomas regardless given how valuable productive TEs are. I don't think you're going to replace him in the draft.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:I'f trade Jeremy Hill and draft positions for Russell Wilson.
Hell. No.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I'f trade Jeremy Hill and draft positions for Russell Wilson.
Hell. No.
But I don't need 2 top tier QBs. DSafe tells me this is a QB heavy league, but if you want to be stupid, I can't help you.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:I think you gotta keep Thomas regardless given how valuable productive TEs are. I don't think you're going to replace him in the draft.
Yeah, I'm inclined to keep him at this point. All I can hope is Blake Bortles improves dramatically and completes 80 percent of his passes to Thomas.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

Giff wrote:My 14-team non-PPR league is introducing keepers for the first time. Rule is you have to give up the pick two rounds ahead of where the player was taken in the previous draft. I've spent the entire offseason thinking Luck was my guy as he'd cost me a second rounder. Our drafts are QB heavy in the first few rounds (5 pts per TD, 7 taken in first 4 rounds last year, including 3 in first) so he'll be taken in the first for sure. Now after starting to do a little research for the upcoming season, I'm questioning my decision. Here are the only ones I'd consider keeping and the pick I'd give up:

Luck - 2nd
L. Miller - 3rd
C. Hyde - 6th
Charles Johnson - 15th
T. Kelce - 15th

I'm starting to buy into the Kelce hype and leaning towards him. He's consensus top-5 TE from the rankings I've seen, so it seems much better value to have him with a 15th (not to mention a 13th next year, 11th the next, if he's as good as advertised and stays healthy) and keep my second rounder. Thoughts?
Late to the party, but I would keep Luck, and especially if you can re-keep him again every year. I think the Kelce hype is just that, hype. Not only are you putting your eggs in the Alex Smith basket, but Andy Reid has never turned a TE into a FF stud that I remember.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

SportsDoc wrote:
Giff wrote:My 14-team non-PPR league is introducing keepers for the first time. Rule is you have to give up the pick two rounds ahead of where the player was taken in the previous draft. I've spent the entire offseason thinking Luck was my guy as he'd cost me a second rounder. Our drafts are QB heavy in the first few rounds (5 pts per TD, 7 taken in first 4 rounds last year, including 3 in first) so he'll be taken in the first for sure. Now after starting to do a little research for the upcoming season, I'm questioning my decision. Here are the only ones I'd consider keeping and the pick I'd give up:

Luck - 2nd
L. Miller - 3rd
C. Hyde - 6th
Charles Johnson - 15th
T. Kelce - 15th

I'm starting to buy into the Kelce hype and leaning towards him. He's consensus top-5 TE from the rankings I've seen, so it seems much better value to have him with a 15th (not to mention a 13th next year, 11th the next, if he's as good as advertised and stays healthy) and keep my second rounder. Thoughts?
Late to the party, but I would keep Luck, and especially if you can re-keep him again every year. I think the Kelce hype is just that, hype. Not only are you putting your eggs in the Alex Smith basket, but Andy Reid has never turned a TE into a FF stud that I remember.
Just one year of Luck. Since you have to give up the pick two rounds prior to when your keeper was selected the year before, no 1st or 2nd round picks will ever be keepers. Luck for one year and then hope I strike gold late or on the waiver wire this season. If not for Luck, I'd be ecstatic to have Kelce with my 15th pick, hype or no. He outperformed that round easily last year.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

SportsDoc wrote:

Luck - 2nd
L. Miller - 3rd
C. Hyde - 6th
Charles Johnson - 15th
T. Kelce - 15th

How can you possibly forget LJ Smith, Franchise Player?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

4th pick in a 10 team league.

So, quick googling says I need to draft a good running back. So, Eddie Lacy? Marshawn Lunch? Someone else?

Any good links I should study up? Otherwise I'll just Google until I'm bored.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:4th pick in a 10 team league.

So, quick googling says I need to draft a good running back. So, Eddie Lacy? Marshawn Lunch? Someone else?

Any good links I should study up? Otherwise I'll just Google until I'm bored.
If you're looking for short and sweet answers, just grab a few "overall" draft lists from reputable places for standard or PPR scoring, whichever your league is (and check back periodically before your draft in case they are updated). Probably not much difference between the lists and you get groupthink to get an idea of what other owners may do in case there are guys later you want to target.

And that high, I would draft RB in first round, just in general, unless you are in a 2-QB league and Rodgers or Luck is available when your pick is up... and I don't even know if I would pick Luck there.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ended up with the 4th pick in our 14-team draft. Starting off with Lacy/Luck is going to be pretty nice. Really hope Hilton is there with my third pick.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My league's draft is off the rails. Between unlimited time in between picks (people are currently astrewn all over the world) and the picks some people are making (Gronk 5th, Rodgers 9th), this league is shaping up to be a shitshow.

Also, we're on pick 10 right now. 10 team league. The draft started Tuesday. Weeeeeeee!

(I took Lacy 4th. Do I go RB again if this shit keeps up?)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Depends who's available. It's not unheard of though.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:My league's draft is off the rails. Between unlimited time in between picks (people are currently astrewn all over the world) and the picks some people are making (Gronk 5th, Rodgers 9th), this league is shaping up to be a shitshow.

Also, we're on pick 10 right now. 10 team league. The draft started Tuesday. Weeeeeeee!

(I took Lacy 4th. Do I go RB again if this shit keeps up?)
2nd round, go best available player, assuming your league doesn't have bizarre rules.

The only league I've ever done online drafts in has a 90 second clock. I don't think we've ever vik'd anyone, but late picks have happened very few times. Your draft would drive me fucking nuts. It's like that poker tournament some of us used to play in.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

24 hours away and I still don't know if I'm keeping Luck or Hyde. The mock draft app I'm using loves it when I keep Kelce with the 15th, but he's a distant third option right now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My league's draft is online CBS (mainly because we've been with them forever), with no time limit for picks. But we are all present-virtual, and when somebody starts taking too long, the shit-giving and mockery speeds them up a bit.

This is that league's 25th year, and we still have all the original players. Amazing. Back then we scored with the USA Today and depended on faxes to each other. In a way, it was better, because you had to do your own research, and didn't have the website suggesting the next best tight end, etc.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just started the 4th round. (Shoot me now.)

A guy in the 3rd round took Darren McFadden. Uhhhh, Joseph Randle is right there, bro. And so are other RBs that aren't in a RBBC.

I have Lacy, Beckham Jr., and Gore so far. I'm feeling two WRs with my next 2 picks and then a QB.

Also, for some reason we are going for 20 rounds and not 15. Guh.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A true Pats fan would start Brady in Weeks 1-4 whether or not he's suspended to totally shove it up Goodell's ass.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brady went in the 5th round by my Pats fan friend who drafted Gronk with the 5th pick overall. That may just happen in my league.

Also, we're nowhere close to being done, but I'm kind of regretting Gore over Forsett -- if only for bye week purposes.

I've added Keenan Allen and Emmanuel Sanders since I last posted.

I think I need RB depth...and maybe a QB with my next 2 picks. But with the way this is going, I can probably get Matt Stafford, Eli Manning or Ryan Tannehill in like the 11th round. Only 5 teams need QBs and Romo, Ryan, Big Ben, and Brees are still on the board.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Made some mistakes in my draft with DSafe's league. No PPR, 2 WR and a RB/WR flex. I didn't discount WRs as much as I should have. Being forced to keep Sanders and nobody better than Sanders available, I was overly focused on WRs. Late in the draft, there were still a bunch of decent WRs left, and I missed out on my RB handcuffs (Ryan Mathews and Darren McFadden), both decent backup plans. If Randle or Murray go down, I am royally fucked. I'm going to have 5 decent choices of WRs to torture myself with every week. Then I jumped on Rivers as my backup QB, noticing he was available very late in a 12 man. He has the same bye week as my starter. Mistakes all over the place.

Could be worse, I could be the guy who bailed early and auto-drafted 4 kickers. Or the other guy who left early and auto-drafted 3 kickers.

ETA: I guess it couldn't be worse. CBS sent a draft grade scorecard, and I rated as having the worst draft, a D-. No way my team is that bad. There has to be something wrong with their metrics when drafting 4 kickers doesn't get a worse grade than mine.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:Made some mistakes in my draft with DSafe's league. No PPR, 2 WR and a RB/WR flex. I didn't discount WRs as much as I should have. Being forced to keep Sanders and nobody better than Sanders available, I was overly focused on WRs. Late in the draft, there were still a bunch of decent WRs left, and I missed out on my RB handcuffs (Ryan Mathews and Darren McFadden), both decent backup plans. If Randle or Murray go down, I am royally fucked. I'm going to have 5 decent choices of WRs to torture myself with every week. Then I jumped on Rivers as my backup QB, noticing he was available very late in a 12 man. He has the same bye week as my starter. Mistakes all over the place.

Could be worse, I could be the guy who bailed early and auto-drafted 4 kickers. Or the other guy who left early and auto-drafted 3 kickers.

ETA: I guess it couldn't be worse. CBS sent a draft grade scorecard, and I rated as having the worst draft, a D-. No way my team is that bad. There has to be something wrong with their metrics when drafting 4 kickers doesn't get a worse grade than mine.
Getting good talent is hard in this draft because we can keep any three players from your roster. And that's especially the case with RBs because there are so few you can rely on week in and week out. I feel fortunate I have two starters in Jeremy Hill and Lamar Miller, but if either gets hurt I'm screwed, too. RB depth is a very hard thing to acquire.

And to hell with what CBS says. This is my third year in this league, and I had the worst draft grade my first year. I finished in third place. Last year, CBS said I had a good draft and I almost finished in last. I hope CBS's report is wrong again because they gave me a D+ for my draft grade. According to them, my biggest faux pas was taking Amari Cooper as early as I did, but all reports indicate the guy is going to be a beast this year. I'll wait until the Hungry Charleys owner does his draft recap, because he'll smear everyone and it's pretty damn funny.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Getting good talent is hard in this draft because we can keep any three players from your roster. And that's especially the case with RBs because there are so few you can rely on week in and week out. I feel fortunate I have two starters in Jeremy Hill and Lamar Miller, but if either gets hurt I'm screwed, too. RB depth is a very hard thing to acquire.

And to hell with what CBS says. This is my third year in this league, and I had the worst draft grade my first year. I finished in third place. Last year, CBS said I had a good draft and I almost finished in last. I hope CBS's report is wrong again because they gave me a D+ for my draft grade. According to them, my biggest faux pas was taking Amari Cooper as early as I did, but all reports indicate the guy is going to be a beast this year. I'll wait until the Hungry Charleys owner does his draft recap, because he'll smear everyone and it's pretty damn funny.
It seems like they don't take the keepers into account, so that may be part of the reason. I'd be feeling a lot better if I had Mathews or McFadden. Even as backups, both of those guys will probably be hurt by week 3.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Im getting back in the game for the first time in 4 seasons. Will still use my method of drafting no Bengals, Ravens nor Steelers nor will I start any player playing the Browns that week.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
Sabo wrote: Getting good talent is hard in this draft because we can keep any three players from your roster. And that's especially the case with RBs because there are so few you can rely on week in and week out. I feel fortunate I have two starters in Jeremy Hill and Lamar Miller, but if either gets hurt I'm screwed, too. RB depth is a very hard thing to acquire.

It seems like they don't take the keepers into account, so that may be part of the reason. I'd be feeling a lot better if I had Mathews or McFadden. Even as backups, both of those guys will probably be hurt by week 3.
Their ratings are based on projecting what the players will score for the season, so if your grade will be skewed if you do certain things like draft someone with an eye on keeping them (Todd Gurley was allegedly my worst pick that I grabbed "13 spots before his value", but it was my only shot at him and, if he turns out to be good enough to be a franchise cornerstone for years even if he is projected to not be as good this year, was he really that bad a pick?) or grabbing a handcuff RB (who might play) instead of someone in a RB committee (who will play). I would just ignore it.

Now, the draft review Stick writes is hilarious. Last year, he compared everyone's draft to a person whose photos were leaked in the Fappening. It is still on the site, let me know if you want me to send you the link.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. You think it would be simple to do a "probable lineup" projection over the course of the season, right? I usually draft like half a roster of RBs so my grades always suck but every once in a while my teams don't.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ended up keeping Luck and drafting Brown with my first pick. My RBs are horrible though - Hyde, Spiller, Bell and Arizona's D. Johnson.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, this 20 team Swamp premiership draft ought to be something. Lots of times one might draft over value for somebody, knowing he'll be gone when you next pick, say 30 picks later.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:Yeah, this 20 team Swamp premiership draft ought to be something. Lots of times one might draft over value for somebody, knowing he'll be gone when you next pick, say 30 picks later.
Still not a fan of this. There's 24 people in league lobby there. Why not split to 2 leagues? I'll play in the lower if that's what people are worried about.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

If someone wants my spot, they can have it. I'm not sure I can make the draft on Saturday and I don't want to pre-rank players.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Yeah, this 20 team Swamp premiership draft ought to be something. Lots of times one might draft over value for somebody, knowing he'll be gone when you next pick, say 30 picks later.
Am I off the list? I ignored the invite, so hopefully I'm not among the 24. I was stuck on last year after requesting out. I ended up playing it out instead of ruining the league with an absent owner. 20 teams was horribly painful, especially since I didn't draft and was stuck with a massive pile of shit.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

12 team, PPR, redraft, #2 overall ... I'm not taking Bell because the suspension + bye means losing 3 of 14 weeks and I'm not taking AP because he's a terrible person and I don't want to root for a terrible person. How off the board would CJ Anderson be?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote:12 team, PPR, redraft, #2 overall ... I'm not taking Bell because the suspension + bye means losing 3 of 14 weeks and I'm not taking AP because he's a terrible person and I don't want to root for a terrible person. How off the board would CJ Anderson be?
Not at all. Some places have him #1 overall.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fred Jackson was drafted in my league tonight nearly 4 hours after he was released. It was by a guy that talked a lot of shit at work today. And it took him about 11 minutes to make the selection.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

C.J. Anderson is the man, but I expect him to occasionally get vultured by Montee Ball on the goal line, and Ronnie Hillman on passing downs.

Fred Jackson will be playing on Sundays - but, where?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Keeper League, standard scoring, no PPR, QBs get 6 per TD and there are typical 300 and 400 yard game bonuses for them as well as 100 and 150 yard game bonuses for RB and WR.

Only opportunity this year is Golden Tate in the 7th. I'm seeing ADP for him around pick 50. Good keep or throw it into the wind?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."